Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,376 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/bafta-nominations-2015-unveiled-762089

No real shocks or surprises from Bafta, only Carell in supporting instead of lead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

here are the Golden Globes winners...

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-30432198

Best motion picture - drama
    Winner: Boyhood

Foxcatcher

The Imitation Game

Selma

The Theory of Everything

Best motion picture - musical or comedy
    Winner: The Grand Budapest Hotel

Birdman

Into the Woods

Pride

St Vincent

Best director
    Winner: Richard Linklater, Boyhood

Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel

Ava DuVernay, Selma

David Fincher, Gone Girl

Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Birdman

Best actor - drama
    Winner: Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything

Steve Carell, Foxcatcher

Benedict Cumberbatch, The Imitation Game

Jake Gyllenhaal, Nightcrawler

David Oyelowo, Selma

Best actor - musical or comedy
    Winner: Michael Keaton, Birdman

Ralph Fiennes, The Grand Budapest Hotel

Bill Murray, St. Vincent

Joaquin Phoenix, Inherent Vice

Christoph Waltz, Big Eyes

Best actress - drama
    Winner: Julianne Moore, Still Alice

Jennifer Aniston, Cake

Felicity Jones, The Theory of Everything

Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl

Reese Witherspoon, Wild

Best actress - musical or comedy
    Winner: Amy Adams, Big Eyes

Emily Blunt, Into the Woods

Helen Mirren, The Hundred-Foot Journey

Julianne Moore, Maps to the Stars

Quvenzhane Wallis, Annie

Best supporting actor
    Winner: JK Simmons, Whiplash

Robert Duvall, The Judge

Ethan Hawke, Boyhood

Edward Norton, Birdman

Mark Ruffalo, Foxcatcher

Best supporting actress
    Winner: Patricia Arquette, Boyhood

Jessica Chastain, A Most Violent Year

Keira Knightley, The Imitation Game

Emma Stone, Birdman

Meryl Streep, Into the Woods

Best screenplay
    Winner: Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Nicolas Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris and Armando Bo, Birdman

Wes Anderson, The Grand Budapest Hotel

Gillian Flynn, Gone Girl

Richard Linklater, Boyhood

Graham Moore, The Imitation Game

Best original score
    Winner: Alexandre Desplat, The Imitation Game

Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross, Gone Girl

Antonio Sanchez, Birdman

Hans Zimmer, Interstellar

Best original song
    Winner: Glory, Selma - John Legend, Common

Big Eyes, Big Eyes - Lana Del Rey

Mercy Is, Noah - Patti Smith, Lenny Kaye

Opportunity, Annie - Greg Kurstin, Sia Furler, Will Gluck

Yellow Flicker Beat, The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 - Lorde

Best foreign language film
    Winner: Leviathan (Russia)

Force Majeure (Sweden)

Gett: The Trial of Viviane Amsalem (Israel)

Ida (Poland)

Tangerines (Estonia)

Best animated feature
    Winner: How to Train Your Dragon 2

Big Hero 6

The Book of Life

The Boxtrolls

The Lego Movie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

No real shocks at all during the Golden Globes.

I think its 90% to say that Boyhood will win for Best director, film and Best supporting actress unless they do anything stupid inbetween the Oscars. Deserving too.

Jk Simmons has Best Supporting down too for me.

Best Actor and Actress are the only ones that are hard to call. Although I think Julianne Moore will win (I think for the fact she was snubbed so many times). I still think Marion Cotillard is still the best performance of last year. Best actor will probably go to Michael Keaton although Redmanye I wouldn't be shocked if he won.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah, it’s looking like Boyhood will nab it, though I don’t think it deserves it and its reputation will suffer because of it. If there’s a last minute backlash it’ll likely focus on Linklater, meaning it’ll probably still win but with director going to Inarritu/Anderson.

I actually think the acting categories are fairly predictable this year. Keaton is a lock. I don’t think anyone has a hope of stealing it away from him. Carell is overstretched in the Best Actor category, Redmayne is too young and Spall will be lucky if enough Academy members watch Mr Turner to nominate him.

I haven’t see Still Alice, but I’m guessing Moore is going to get one of those “career honour” awards. Simmons seems like a lock as well. Ditto Arquette.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I think Redmayne and Keaton bith winning last night makes the Best Actor the tightest of all the main categories.
    Boyhood
    Linklater
    Arquette
    Simmons
    Moore.

I can't see many upsets occuring.

Prof, how would an Oscar damage the reputation of Boyhood?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

According to PaddyPower odds the only main category with any doubt at all is best Actor in a leading role. Keating v Redmayne.

I think Cumberbatch could pull a surprise win for best actor at the Oscars

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Prof, how would an Oscar damage the reputation of Boyhood?

There tends to be a backlash against Oscar winners, even the quality ones if its perceived that they were the safe, reassuring choice. Viewers who the film wasn’t meant for and who would never have watched it otherwise will watch it after it wins Best Picture and dismiss it. Examples of this would Dances with Wolves, Shakespeare in Love and Slumdog Millionaire, good films, all of which would have been better off not winning.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

There tends to be a backlash against Oscar winners, even the quality ones if its perceived that they were the safe, reassuring choice. Viewers who the film wasn’t meant for and who would never have watched it otherwise will watch it after it wins Best Picture and dismiss it. Examples of this would Dances with Wolves, Shakespeare in Love and Slumdog Millionaire, good films, all of which would have been better off not winning.

Hmmm, actually a seriously good point, never thought about that. It'd be similar to if you've ever told a friend who's only into mindless action movies about your favourite slow burning drama and they decided to watch it and instantly hated it because it's not their taste.

I'd agree to an extent, but I don't think Linklater's gonna worry about the reputation (post-Oscar) if he wins. He'll have an Academy Award which is pretty big recognition. And he won't have won it for churning out another movie, but for working on what has to be a labour of love.

Oscars winners are seldom the box office blockbusters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Noms are happening now. Empire have a live page updating as they are announced.

So far:

Best Picture
    American Sniper
    Birdman
    Boyhood
    The Grand Budapest Hotel
    The Imitation Game
    Selma
    The Theory of Everything
    Whiplash

Best Actor
    Steve Carell, Foxcatcher
    Bradley Cooper, American Sniper
    Benedict Cumberbatch, The Imitation Game
    Michael Keaton, Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
    Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything”

Actress
    Marion Cotillard, Two Days One Night
    Felicity Jones, The Theory of Everything
    Julianne Moore, Still Alice
    Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl
    Reese Witherspoon, Wild

Supporting Actress
    Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
    Laura Dern, Wild
    Emma Stone, Birdman
    Meryl Streep, Into the Woods
    Keira Knightley, The Imitation Game

Supporting Actor
    Robert Duvall, The Judge
    Ethan Hawke, Boyhood,
    Edward Norton, Birdman
    Mark Ruffalo, Foxcatcher
    JK Simmons, Whiplash

Foreign Language Film
    Ida
    Leviathan
    Tangerines
    Timbuktu
    Wild Tales

Cinematography
    Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance), Emmanuel Lubezki
    The Grand Budapest Hotel, Robert Yeoman
    Ida, Lukasz Zal and Ryszard Lenczewski
    Mr. Turner, Dick Pope
    Unbroken, Roger Deakins

Adapted Screenplay
    American Sniper
    Imitation Game
    Inherent Vice
    Theory of Everything
    Whiplash

Original Screenplay
    Boyhood
    Birdman
    Foxcatcher
    The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Nightcrawler

Animated Feature
    Big Hero 6
    Boxtrolls
    How to Train Your Dragon 2
    Song of the Sea
    The Tale of Princess Kaguya

Visual Effects
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Interstellar
    X:Men: Days of Future Past

Film Editing
    American Sniper
    Boyhood
    Grand Budapest Hotel
    Imitation Game
    Whiplash

Production Design
    The Grand Budapest Hotel
    Imitation Game
    Interstellar
    Into the Woods
    Mr. Turner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

No Lego movie!!??! :eek::mad::mad:

Jake Gyllenhaal loses out to Bradley Cooper, the academy sure loves him

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Nice to see Song of the Sea in there. Might finally get an Irish release date now.

I never understand how a film (Selma) can be deemed worthy of a Best Picture nomination but not get any nominations in the acting/directing/writing categories? Likewise how Foxcatcher can get nominations in all those categories but not be deemed worthy of a Best Picture nomination?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

How to Train Your Dragon 2 has best animated film surely lol.

From what I've heard about birdman, it should win for best cinematography for the effort that went into some of the long and seemingly uncut scenes.

Northern Irish short film Boogaloo and Graham has been nominated too. Northern Ireland is mad for the short films, they seem to struggle to make the leap to feature length though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Nice to see Song of the Sea in there. Might finally get an Irish release date now.

I never understand how a film (Selma) can be deemed worthy of a Best Picture nomination but not get any nominations in the acting/directing/writing categories? Likewise how Foxcatcher can get nominations in all those categories but not be deemed worthy of a Best Picture nomination?

I got that with foxcatchcer though. I thought the performances were excellent but the film in itself wasnt anything outstanding.

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I got that with foxcatchcer though. I thought the performances were excellent but the film in itself wasnt anything outstanding.

But it's like they're saying the writing is great, the directing is great, two of the three main actors are great but as a whole it's not great. I haven't seen it so I can't say but it just always seems weird to me.

Likewise with Selma it's like they think the film as a whole is great but it had nothing to do with the writing, directing or acting. It just magically made itself a great film on it's own? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

No Ralph Fiennes?? That's an utter joke to be honest. His Gustav H was the best performance I saw all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Obligatory Meryl Streep nomination ffs.

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Jake Gyllenhaal loses out to Bradley Cooper, the academy sure loves him

I'm not shocked by that JP, Nightcrawler is a little too edgy for that Academy. It only got one award nom for screenplay. They do love those true stories though so not surprised by the fact Gyllenhaal was ignored sadly.

Great to see Marion Cotillard in best actress, don't think she win it again sadly.

Mark Ruffalo over Channing Tatum I'm a little shocked by in best supporting actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I'm shocked he was to be honest thought Tatum was more interesting and more deserving. I agree it's a film worth seen for the acting alone, I do think it drags a little in places like a lot of Miller's work does. Not going to probably trouble my best of year list but its a very good solid film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

You should maybe have a look at some footage of The Tale of Princess Kaguya...

Nice to see Ida's cinematography get recognised.

From what I've heard about birdman, it should win for best cinematography for the effort that went into some of the long and seemingly uncut scenes.

Pretty attractive price with Paddy Power for HTTYD2. Joint favourite with Big Hero 6.
    I might have a nibble!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Whiplash is my favorite of the year so glad to see that nominated for best picture.
    Gyllenhaal got snubbed the most, easily deserved best actor. Don't have any other huge complaints, would have liked to have seen Gone Girl get some more nominations, best adapted screenplay maybe, and The Lego Movie for best animated should have been there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Roar wrote: »
    No Ralph Fiennes?? That's an utter joke to be honest. His Gustav H was the best performance I saw all year.

I was going to post the exact same thing; maybe it was seen as kind of a quirky affected performance rather than great acting but it was a brilliantly nuanced multi-faceted role-probably the best I've seen in several years let alone just the past 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,830 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Jake Gyllenhaal had the performance of the year, to not even be nominated really annoys me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,561 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Birneybau wrote: »
    Obligatory Meryl Streep nomination ffs.

These awards are just a popularity contest now ,they have lost all credibility over the last few years .
    The nominations in general are so lazy and conservative its funny.

None of the best supporting actress nominees had tough roles or even substantial roles .
    Its a celebration of mediocrity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

None of the best supporting actress nominees had tough roles or even substantial roles .
    Its a celebration of mediocrity
    Whatever about the rest of what you're saying, that's being really harsh on the guaranteed winner there (Patricia Arquette), she was absolutely fantastic. I suspect Boyhood wouldn't be doing anywhere near as well as it has if there was an inferior performance in her place (
    the second half of the movie sure as hell would've been a chore without that one scene in particular
    ).

Advertisement