Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85,211 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

These awards are just a popularity contest now ,they have lost all credibility over the last few years .
    The nominations in general are so lazy and conservative its funny.

None of the best supporting actress nominees had tough roles or even substantial roles .
    Its a celebration of mediocrity

Jessica Chastain and Rene Russo should have make the best supporting actress line up imo

• Registered Users Posts: 60,320 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    No Lego movie!!??! :eek::mad::mad:

https://twitter.com/philiplord/status/555729488164569089/photo/1

Co-director Phil Lord
    It's okay. Made my own! :D

B7ZZBfxCIAECWwP.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

American Sniper was good but it getting nominated for best Picture over Interstellar or even Guardians of the Galaxy is just BullSh!t.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Bradley Cooper, 3 nominations in 3 years. Head scratcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

American Sniper was good but it getting nominated for best Picture over Interstellar or even Guardians of the Galaxy is just BullSh!t.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can have up to 10 nominees in the Best Picture category? Means they could have fit in both those films, but didn't deem them worthy. Annoyed that Nightcrawler missed out myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,320 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm not usually a fan of Jake Gyllenhaal but he has been hard done by not even getting nominated.

Best male performance in the last year for me in Nightcrawler for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

As much as I love GotG, I would be absolutely pissed off if it was the first comic book movie to receive a nom when TDK, the first comic book movie truly deserving an academy nod of approval. Didn't they even increase the limit for nominations because of the uproar of TDK not getting nominated?

I hope the first is another comic book movie with a similar tone and well rounded story and performances to get the honour. With how marvel make their movies I honestly couldn't see them getting a look in anytime soon. DC seem to be going for the more realistic approach... obviously using that term loosely, they're superhero movies after all lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,148 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Knew they'd omit Channing Tatum of the three, he's not 'supposed' to get nominated for a serious role.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

All i can say is

No lego movie ?
    No Jake Gyllenhall ?
    American Sniper in the best picture category ? Good, enjoyed it but the other nominations are in another class to it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Knew they'd omit Channing Tatum of the three, he's not 'supposed' to get nominated for a serious role.

That's what happens when actors kind of establish themselves as someone not to be taken seriously, even when they give an actually good performance their previous stupid roles can create a bit of a bias. I'm surprised Steve Carrell managed to get nominated.

• Advertisement

That's what happens when actors kind of establish themselves as someone not to be taken seriously, even when they give an actually good performance their previous stupid roles can create a bit of a bias. I'm surprised Steve Carrell managed to get nominated.

Play a real person requiring you to drastically alter your appearance and you're a shoe in for a nom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Bradley Cooper, 3 nominations in 3 years. Head scratcher.

I certainly say he isn't overrated, he was great in Silver linings Playbook and American Sniper but i just didn't get him being nominated for American Hustle last year.Didn't like the character at all.I was watching a good few of interviews of Chris Kyle and he pretty much nailed the character.Even Kyles wife commented on how well Cooper played her husband.However had the film being released in summer of last year, i doubt it would have gotten as much hype as it did.

I certainly say he isn't overrated, he was great in Silver linings Playbook and American Sniper but i just didn't get him being nominated for American Hustle last year.Didn't like the character at all.I was watching a good few of interviews of Chris Kyle and he pretty much nailed the character.Even Kyles wife commented on how well Cooper played her husband.However had the film being released in summer of last year, i doubt it would have gotten as much hype as it did.

All the nominations for American Hustle were a bit strange, to be honest.

They were talking about American Sniper on Film 2015 last night and the general consensus was that if you just take the Sniper part of the film it's a fantastic performance from Cooper, when you add in the American part it fall apart. Which I suppose is a case of the parts being greater than the whole as discussed with Foxcatcher earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Paramount must be gutted their campaign to get Transformers: Age of Extinction Oscar nominations for Best Picture and Best director didn't pay off.

It is, however, leading the Razzie nominations. So there is that.

Slightly puzzled that Birdman isn't nominated in the editing category.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,542 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Whatever about the rest of what you're saying, that's being really harsh on the guaranteed winner there (Patricia Arquette), she was absolutely fantastic. I suspect Boyhood wouldn't be doing anywhere near as well as it has if there was an inferior performance in her place (
    the second half of the movie sure as hell would've been a chore without that one scene in particular
    ).

Ok,I overlooked her performance but still believe the other 4 nominations were for small and undemanding roles.
    Some of those characters weren't even on screen for more than ten minutes .

Ok,I overlooked her performance but still believe the other 4 nominations were for small and undemanding roles.
    Some of those characters weren't even on screen for more than ten minutes .

The Dame Judi Dench Award for Best Supporting Actress.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fago123

Bit confused as to why Tom Hardy's performance in Locke wasn't an automatic shoe-in for awards season. Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Fago123 wrote: »
    Bit confused as to why Tom Hardy's performance in Locke wasn't an automatic shoe-in for awards season. Bizarre.
    Because Locke is from 2013, not 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Fago123

Because Locke is from 2013, not 2014.

No it isn't. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locke_(film)#Release

• Registered Users Posts: 7,983 ✭✭✭Unearthly

American Sniper is an ok film but fairly generic. Agree with most that Nightcrawler was excellent and best acting performance was Jake Gyllenhaal and I include all the other nominees with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Delighted The Lego Movie wasn't nominated, utter tosh.

Delighted The Lego Movie wasn't nominated, utter tosh.

I haven't seen it but the reaction the Interwebs had yesterday makes me think it much be incredible. I'll surely be disappointed when I do get around to seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

As far as I can see the only reason American Sniper had ANY nominations is because it has "American" in the title. Either that or the academy only watches about 12 films a year. Jake Gyllenhaal's and Ralph Fiennes' performances were leagues ahead of Bradley Cooper's.

The Lego Movie was ROBBED. Not much credibility in that award given that massive snub. Shows what a pack of out of touch grinches the academy is composed of.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,990 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

at least the Lego Movie got a best original score nomination !!!

It's a very good movie , but I have only seen How to Train your Dragon 2 in the category so cannot really comment if it deserves a nomination

• Registered Users Posts: 36,148 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yep. Then there's the other rules:

- make a huge career comeback in a credible role;
    - undergo physical disfigurement to represent a character;
    - be nearing the end of an oscarless career and turn in a credible dramatic performance;

And be moved to the top of the pile.

What I will say is that there is generally far too much hand wringing around this stuff. Yes the Oscars is riddled with politics and is never 'edgy' but we have a full spectrum of awards and festivals over the year to give everything and everybody their due:

- Cannes offers recognition for big budget 'art';
    - Its sub categories like the 'un certain regard' section collates edgy film;
    - Sundance brings together and publicises great independent films;
    - The Golden Globes is freer to bring more movies into the mix with the split of drama and comedy;
    - The BAFTAs ensure British movies get their wankfest;
    - Box office success and critical acclaim render awards less important than they ever were. Appreciation of film is the most 'democratic' its ever been;

Sure, I think Jake Gynellgal and Channing Tatum could have been nominated. The Lego Movie should have been jammed in there instead of Selma and the supporting actress nominations might not be fully thought through. But there's no point getting hung up on those points. I think the lists are a decent overall representation of mainstream cinema made with earnest intent during 2014. That's all it needs to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Goldstein wrote: »
    The Lego Movie was ROBBED. Not much credibility in that award given that massive snub. Shows what a pack of out of touch grinches the academy is composed of.

Rules of the Academy state that for animated films to be considered for nomination, they must contain at least 75% animation. It seems the last 20 minutes of the film appear to have disqualified it for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

Fago123 wrote: »
    Yeah, you're wrong. From that very Wikipedia link...
    Wikipedia wrote:
    Locke is a 2013 British drama film

IMDB also lists it as a 2013 film.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭GBXI

An absolute disgrace that Carrell is nominated ahead of Gyllenhaal. I haven't seen American Sniper so can't comment on the Cooper nomination.

Also, Channing Tatum was miles ahead of Mark Ruffalo in the best supporting actor role. That's assuming Tatum is a supporting actor, as for me, he was the lead actor.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Rules of the Academy state that for animated films to be considered for nomination, they must contain at least 75% animation. It seems the last 20 minutes of the film appear to have disqualified it for this reason.

I don't think that's right at all.

Nowhere have I seen it suggested that the film was ineligible.

There is live action in the film but it's not twenty minutes of live action at all. Even if it was 20 minutes of live action - that's still only 20% of the film.

Advertisement