Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you marry for money?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

OutlawPete wrote: »
    "Enough" women who don't do it, implies that you realise that most do.

Not really.

I've met women that do and heard of women that do, but saying that the "majority" do is much too far of an extrapolation for me to make. Only me, mind.

That said: it would be useful to define what the money angle is. A case of cynically foregoing love to marry into wealth and a couple wanting relative financial security are two different things, financial security meaning anything from wealth to simply holding a job down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

It seems like the goalposts just keep being moved on that score, Stovelid.

It went from "most women marry for money" to "most women will include financial security among other desirable traits when choosing a partner" as if they're remotely the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Lads, we're five pages in and I still haven't got a chance to post my Meatloaf video.

Sort it out. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I can't locate the original research paper but I think it shows that financial matters are definitely a factor in deciding for women to get married to their partner. It is not the only one, but it is a factor. I couldn't blame women if they used this as a metric in deciding if they wanted to get married.

http://www.livescience.com/culture/090212-men-know.html

"1. Offer money, love and dependability
    Gals want looks and smarts. While you men can't control those two characteristics much, take heart: Money and character are also important to women. A study in December of more than 1,000 undergraduate students revealed women's top mate characteristics were mutual attraction and love, dependable character, and emotional stability.
    Quality time counts, too.
    A survey of more than 5,000 U.S. couples published in the journal Social Forces in 2006 suggested women are happiest in their marriages when men show a high level of emotional engagement: expressing positive emotions; being attentive to their wives' needs; and setting aside time for activities focused specifically on the relationship."

Ah... just post the ****ing thing and get it over with. :pac:

/biggens hair and uses hairspray can as mic for the girl singing bit

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Dudess wrote: »
    You're just making these blanket statements, some of them with zero back-up

How exactly I am supposed to back up my feelings? Mates divorce papers, video evidence of women treating men like **** in clubs?

Come on, we are on an internet forum.

You give your opinion on these matters and move on. I said many times in my posts with We'llAllHaveTea that I mean "most" and "not all" but have to start implying that I mean ALL women cause it suits your argument.

Your comments to that other poster were getting very close to been personal and had I said anything like that about you or any other woman on this thread then then you would have on it very fast.

I have stuck to what I feel because of my experiences in this city.
    .. and then you plead "I don't mean ALL women".

Look, I don't "PLEAD" for nothing, okay?

I am just telling you what I said. Many times I said "most" and "not all", either accept it or don't, I couldn't care less.
    Irrespective of that, the statements are pretty darn full-on.

I feel women have finance pretty high on their check list when it comes to guys, if you wanna see that as full-on, so be it.

Nope, not at all. It's more the unsubstantiated accusations

I am supposed to provide a study for my opinions? :rolleyes:
    I love how you keep ignoring my points btw.

I have answered your points ffs.

I already said I know you don't mean all women, but I still find your comments pretty grim - Consultech trolls misogynistic sh1t, don't worry about him.
    You're basing your sometimes speculative statements on your personal experiences, your feelings - that is not the bigger picture, even if you don't mean all women. It's not my experience - I don't know women like those awful sounding ones your gf is mates with. And you haven't addressed all my points - e.g. the one about how a lot of women don't take on board how men can get treated like crap by women. What a thing to say!

If you feel many women consider money a high priority when getting a man, fair enough, but how you "feel" is not necessarily the reality. And considering money a high priority, again, is not the same as "marrying for money".

You're basing your sometimes speculative statements on your personal experiences, your feelings - that is not the bigger picture, even if you don't mean all women.

As I have said, I am 36 years old, my experience of women is a little more than just watching an episode of SATC.

It's based on mu relationships, friends relationshipis, working relationships and just basically being a man in Ireland in his mid 30's and all that entails.

You may not agree with me but you can't just say it's "speculative" and so doesn't matter. I'm sure you have your opinions on various topics.

In general I find Irish women rude and that they treat men pretty badly, that's my experience and so it tends to dictate my opinion as it would with most sane people.
    It's not my experience - I don't know women like those awful sounding ones your gf is mates with.

Okay, fine .. that's you and I'm me.
    women don't take on board how men can get treated like crap by women. What a thing to say!

I have had this discussion on boards with women who said that men were imaging it and it must be a case of *sour grapes* for any man that has the audacity to suggest that women are rude to men who approach them.

I have seen women laughing at mere mention that women beat their husbands I find most women do not get the fact that men get treated like crap.

So, yes it is fully reasonable to say that most women do not take it board on Men get treated badly in society.
    If you feel many women consider money a high priority when getting a man, fair enough, but how you "feel" is not necessarily the reality.

Look that's how I feel. How YOU feel is not necessarily the reality either, pointless comment. We are expressing our opinions are trying to reason why we have acquired them, that is all either side can do.
    And considering money a high priority, again, is not the same as "marrying for money".
    Again, I NEVER said that it was. Could you quit saying that now please, four times is enough for me to make it clear that is not my opinion. it's getting tedious having to repeat it.

You misunderstand me. The thread asks "Would you marry for money?" - you and Consultech respond with "Yes, a lot of women consider money high on the list of priorities when looking for a partner". So you're answering, but to a different question. I never said you consider them one and the same.

Anyway, circles. But in fairness, can you really blame a woman for getting a bit ticked off by what you're saying?

• Advertisement

But it's what the thread asks...

Anyway, circles. But in fairness, can you really blame a woman for getting a bit ticked off by what you're saying?

I understand it doesn't seem to ring through from your point of view but it's how it is.

Most women just see things from their point of view and won't even try and see that maybe men have a point.

Women are treated differently in society and you just naturally assume that men must be treated the same, we aren't.

Take something like child rape, anytime in comes up in a thread women are all over it (and men) saying what they would do to him and last week we had that bitch who raped a 12 year old boy 200 times and yet those same women did not show up on the thread, why?

Some guys were also notably forgiving where they wouldn't have been for a man raping a girl 200 times.

Anyway, a different topic but it's the issue really.

There is a level of behavior in society from women that is tolerated where as if it was a man, it wouldn't be. We have come to accept it as the norm and in my eyes men are seen as second class citizens.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭yogalady

marrying for money is the hardest way to earn it. Very true saying!

Y'see, while I know you keep repeating you don't mean all women, as a woman, it's kinda hard for me not to take all these comments you're making some bit personally - surely you can understand that? I'm not denying the reality of what you say at all, but I still think you're applying it to a lot more women than reality. Those women seem awful - I don't believe awful people are in large numbers. Maybe I'm being naive.
    Take something like child rape, anytime in comes up in a thread women are all over it (and men) saying what they would do to him and last week we had that bitch who raped a 12 year old boy 200 times and yet those same women did not show up on the thread, why?
    Did you not SEE my posts on that thread? I then went and started a thread on it in The Gentlemen's Club so it could be discussed without the really "original" South Park "nice" clip on a loop. I've said to Ladies' Lounge moderators that I think that forum can be quite anti men at times.
    I don't really want to be going into my personal life, but fup it: I researched, in depth, domestic abuse (physical, emotional, psychological, sexual) experienced by men, and fathers' rights.
    I'd be one of the first to say men can have it really shit because of their gender in various situations... as can women though. And there are double standards - but affecting both genders.

You edited your post so I'm replying separately.
    You misunderstand me. The thread asks "Would you marry for money?" - you and Consultech respond with "Yes, a lot of women consider money high on the list of priorities when looking for a partner". So you're answering, but to a different question.

Nonsense!

We didn't "answer, to a different question" - we gave our opinions.

I gave my opinion.
    I never said you consider them one and the same.

Three times you implied that I did. Here's the last one in black and white:
    If you feel many women consider money a high priority when getting a man, fair enough, but how you "feel" is not necessarily the reality. And considering money a high priority, again, is not the same as "marrying for money".

If that is not directed at me then why are you saying it?? I have already stated that I do not agree with the Poll so why feel the need to tell someone who doesn't feel they are the same - that they are not the same.

The only reason to that, is to imply that is their opinion.

Come on Dudess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

I could tell it myself just from what clothes I wear.

If I just wore a t-shirt and jeans, it would be pulling teeth trying to chat with women, wear a suit jacket and tie and their whole body language changes.

noooooooooo, don't do that.

Nope, definitely just saying it seemed you and Consultech were answering a different question to what the OP asked - interpret it how you want.

Did you not SEE my posts on that thread?

Yes, I thanked some of them but you are not one of the women I was referring to. As a matter if fact I said as much on the thread.
    I then went and started a thread on it in The Gentlemen's Club so it could be discussed without the really "original" South Park "nice" clip on a loop.

I didn't see it, I never go there. I'm not a gentleman :pac:
    I've said to Ladies' Lounge moderators that I think that forum can be quite anti men at times.
    I don't really want to be going into my personal life, but fup it: I researched, in depth, domestic abuse (physical, emotional, psychological, sexual) experienced by men, and fathers' rights.
    I'd be one of the first to say men can have it really shit because of their gender in various situations... as can women though. And there are double standards - but affecting both genders.

Fair enough but i really wasn't aiming ANY of my comments at you, I try VERY hard not to get personal with people on Boards as I wouldn't like it to be done to me.

Unless it was sexual in nature, that's fine :p

Nope, definitely just saying it seemed you and Consultech were answering a different question to what the OP asked - interpret it how you want.

In fairness Dudess, that's not what happened.

I came on and said what I thought.

Comments were made about the Poll and I said what my opinions were, that was all.

I explained that I didn't feel women would JUST marry for money from the get go.

When you say something in a post as you did, the implication is there that that is there opinion.

If I said to you now:

"Dudesss, by the way AGAIN, some men hit women, but that doesn't mean ALL men beat their wives."

Is that not me implying that that is how you feel?

Come on, it's obvious that it is.

Come on Dudess.
    :eek:

Sexist pig!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 milnerrm

definately

• Advertisement

noooooooooo, don't do that.

See!!!

Women have NOOooo respect for guys, just telling me what to do :pac:

See!!!

Women have NOOooo respect for guys, just telling me what to do :pac:

heehee.

[Seriously though, that look is a total turn off ].

When I'd finished assessing the shoes, I'd be thinking of where to bring him shopping to meet with my requirements :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I was offered 3 grand to marry an australian girl about ten years ago.
    We were in a nightclub and a friend and i were chatting these two girls up. They invited us back to their place and after a rake of drink, one of them started crying (and not in the good way).
    She went on to explain that her visa was up in 2 months but that she really wanted to stay. She said she'd give me 3 grand and live with me for 6 months(or maybe more, I was very drunk) whereupon she'd give me another unremembered sum of money, split up and she'd feck off.
    Got a taxi home about 7 or 8 the next morning with my friend and discussed it with him. He said I should go for it. Woke up on sunday afternoon and couldn't remember her address. Unfortunately, neither could my friend.

She was a lasher too.
    At least she was when I was ratted.

If Men wanna where Suit jackets and rope ties, what of it :cool:

If Men wanna where Suit jackets and rope ties, what of it :cool:

:cool: yourself. I thought you were complaining of the necessity to wear them in order to speak to women.

still think they look **** ;)though

:cool: yourself. I thought you were complaining of the necessity to wear them in order to speak to women.

Well, if didn't wear one, I'd be single :pac:

Well, if didn't wear one, I'd be single :pac:

haha better keep it on so.

laterzzzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

If marrying a woman with money comes with the guarantee of getting your stones licked on demand then I'm all for it.

Didn't notice this reply.
    seriously though, maybe this cynicism comes with old age :pac:

Cheeky, when I was Bruce I was distinguished, now I'm old :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Cheeky, when I was Bruce I was distinguished, now I'm old :(

soooooo oooooold :pac:

don't be dericulous, you've a shining personality and a fluctuating bank balance. a total catch. :D

Advertisement