Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you marry for money?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Dudess wrote: »
    But the thread is asking "Would you marry for money?" which isn't the same as the above.

Yes and I understand your criticism of the Poll but you directed that at me as if they were my views.
    Think you're being very unfair, Pete.

Call me naive but would most women really live with and have sex with a man whom they don't particularly care about/fancy just because he has a lot of money?

I don't think that at all about women, otherwise you would all be down in the Horseshoe Bar where the Ferrari drivers hang out.

It's not that at all, it's that it's a 'selection tool' for you. You do it without if thinking about it. I've worked in clubs and seen it at work, girls know when a guy has is broke and avoid them like the plague.

A woman ways a guy up in a totally different way than he would way her up.

One thing I have noticed about women is they ALWAYS look at a guys shoes, always. If David Attenborough ever does a documentary in a nightclub, this is one thing he can't miss.

Why, I have no idea, but they do :)
    And yeah, if there were two guys equal to a particular woman in every way in terms of personality and attractiveness but one is financially secure and the other isn't (and again, that does not necessarily mean colossal wealth) what would be wrong with her choosing the financially secure guy? That is not the same as being a gold-digger.

No and I didn't say nor imply that it was.

I would say it goes far far beyond "equal attractiveness".

I would say if a guy is a 9 on looks but looks broke and another guy is a 7 but looks like he won't have any trouble paying for the cab, he's the guy your talking to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I don't know where you get the "most" from either - your own experiences? In which case, maybe examine why it's only bitches you end up with...

Several assumptive personal attacks (to which, I'm far too articulate to ever need to stoop to by the way) later you still have no basis for that statement. Im in a happy, mutually supportive (financially and emotionally) relationship, and have been for 6 years now. I don't have any history of being with "bitches".

I'm whole-heartedly sorry to have to shatter your impression of men who apparently have a poor opinion of women because they've "been with a load of bitches".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

No, I wouldn't marry for money.

I'd rather be in a happy marriage/relationship with little or no money, than an unhappy marriage/relationship with plenty of money.

thats rubbish who wants to be broke nd happy!

id rather be happy and have the money!

i am marrying for money mwahahahahaha, i want my income to be all mine and his 100k annual income to be ours! :D
    *i am going to get such an ass kicking when he see's this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Fear Uladh

No. It would be a boring marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Yeah, so did the women who married friends of mine.

Only, when fights over money matters became everyday occurrences for them, the romance quickly died.

I know three guys who courts forced them from "their" family homes when relationships went sour.

I can only speak from experience and I see women choosing bastards with money and walking all over guys that are not doing so well financially all the time.

well, i suppose we have very different circles of friends.
    when i look to the future, i hope that i have a wee house for me and my little 'un. thats my hope, i never think, oh sure i'll be settled with some lad and have a nice big house.
    maybe i'm in the minority, but i cannot fathom the idea of relying on a man to provide for me and my daughter.
    Think you're being very unfair, Pete. These aren't the women I know - most of us are just attracted to guys we like. If he has money, well and good; if he doesn't, not a concern. Of course there are women who are obsessed with flash shite, just as there are men who are. For every woman who's attracted to a rich guy just because of his money, there's a blokey tosser who's attracted to a flash-crap-obsessed woman just because she's a trophy girlfriend.
    And as we'llallhavetea says, being "looked after" does not necessarily have much or anything to do with money...

Call me naive but would most women really live with and have sex with a man whom they don't particularly care about/fancy just because he has a lot of money?

same here, me and my friends just look for someone we like, looks first obviously and then hopefully a nice personality once you get talking to them. :)
    It's not that at all, it's that it's a 'selection tool' for you. You do it without if thinking about it. I've worked in clubs and seen it at work, girls know when a guy has is broke and avoid them like the plague.

A woman ways a guy up in a totally different way than he would way her up.

One thing I have noticed about women is they ALWAYS look at a guys shoes, always. If David Attenborough ever does a documentary in a nightclub, this is one thing he can't miss.

I would say it goes far far beyond "equal attractiveness".

I would say if a guy is a 9 on looks but looks broke and another guy is a 7 but looks like he won't have any trouble paying for the cab, he's the guy your talking to.

who are these fcuking women??!!! :mad:

cannot relate at all.

i just go for the type of lad thats wearing a t-shirt and jeans :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

consultech wrote: »
    Several assumptive personal attacks (to which, I'm far too articulate to ever need to stoop to by the way) later you still have no basis for that statement.
    I asked, I did not state. And it was twice on this thread, once on another thread, and that's all I remember. I alluded to those things based PURELY on some pretty awful comments about women you made, I didn't just post them for the laugh. You can't seriously expect to say stuff like you've said on this thread without pissing women off.
    I'm whole-heartedly sorry to have to shatter your impression of men who apparently have a poor opinion of women because they've "been with a load of bitches".
    Why on earth would some men have a poor opinion of women other than because of their own personal experiences?

It's not that at all, it's that it's a 'selection tool' for you. You do it without if thinking about it.
    Less of the "you" - I am NOTHING like that.

The comparison was between broke and happy v rich and unhappy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I asked, I did not state. And it was twice on this thread, once on another thread, and that's all I remember. I alluded to those things based PURELY on some pretty awful comments about women you made, I didn't just post them for the laugh. You can't seriously expect to say stuff like you've said on this thread without pissing women off.

Why on earth would some men have a poor opinion of women other than because of their own personal experiences?

Whether asking or stating; You're deductive reasoning is tediously basic (at best). It doesn't reflect well on the intelligence you've shown in other threads at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

i am marrying for money mwahahahahaha, i want my income to be all mine and his 100k annual income to be ours! :D

*i am going to get such an ass kicking when he see's this
    Why is it rubbish?

Just because yourself (and others) don't agree with it, does not mean it is rubbish.

It's my personal preference to be in a happy marriage/relationship rather than
    an unhappy marriage/relationship.

Money isn't the most important thing (for me anyway), happiness is. Yes, money helps, but for me, happiness is much more important.

Whether asking or stating; You're deductive reasoning is tediously basic (at best). It doesn't reflect well on the intelligence you've shown in other threads at all.
    All a bit rich coming from you when you're trolling misogynstic crap, which as I said, was the root of what I alluded to. Inflammatory yes... but it's ok for you to be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

This chick wants money

maybe i'm in the minority

You are.
    who are these fcuking women??!!! :mad:

Come one, when your on a night out, you don't see women playing men?

You need to come to Dublin and watch women walking in guys. Maybe where you are the amount of men is limited so it's not so bad, but in Dublin Women are in a fcuking sweet shop and they know it.
    i just go for the type of lad thats wearing a t-shirt and jeans :confused:

That's cause your sound ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

Why is it rubbish?

Just because yourself (and others) don't agree with it, does not mean it is rubbish.

It's my personal preference to be in a happy marriage/relationship rather than
    an unhappy marriage/relationship.

Money isn't the most important thing (for me anyway), happiness is. Yes, money helps, but for me, happiness is much more important.

apologies,

to clarify i was saying i'd rather be rich and happy! and i cant see why anyone couldnt have both! money can be got, happiness not so much, find happiness and you can find money after :)

All very speculative... I'm delighted you can speak for women though... even though I don't look at a guy's shoes whatsoever.
    Several assumptive personal attacks (to which, I'm far too articulate to ever need to stoop to by the way)
    Good for you.

You are.
    Oh my god... based on? Anecdotal evidence can prove anything. Just because it is your social world, does not mean it's everyone's. It certainly isn't mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

The logical conclusion of saying that money matters so much is that loving successful relationships should therefore only exist for people who are well-off.

Clearly an assertion that I'm sure many of us can refute from personal experience.

Cause they see it.

I don't need to go out with every b**** in Dublin to know that they are there.

I see them with my own eyes.

I am 36 and so at my age you tend to see a lot of s*** happening though friends relationships alone.

Maybe YOU are not like that but I can fathom how any woman could be ...

Actually you what, I can.

I see that too, women have their eyes closed to how badly women treat men, you just don't see it as it doesn't really effect you.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

I would marry for money, I love money, money loves me. When proverty comes in the door, loves flies out the window!:D

I see that too, women have their eyes closed to how badly women treat men, you just don't see it as it doesn't really effect you.
    Wtf? How on earth do you have the faintest clue that I'm unaware of how badly some women treat men?

While I've seen some pretty bad cases of how women can treat men (and vice versa) myself, it's certainly not the case for every relationship I've either had or am aware of. With that in mind, I could never extrapolate that all women are likely to act a certain way even if I've had or witnessed very negative relationships?

• Advertisement

stovelid wrote: »
    The logical conclusion of saying that money matters so much is that loving successful relationships should therefore only exist for people who are well-off.

Clearly an assertion that I'm sure many of us can refute from personal experience.

In fairness nobody is arguing that point.

I have already stated that relationships can work without money but I also know that they can fall apart very fast without it.
    I could never extrapolate that all women are likely to act a certain way even if I've had or witnessed very negative relationships?

Who did that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

You are.

always knew i was special ;)
    seriously though, maybe this cynicism comes with old age :pac:
    Come one, when your on a night out, you don't see women playing men?

You need to come to Dublin and watch women walking in guys. Maybe where you are the amount of men is limited so it's not so bad, but in Dublin Women are in a fcuking sweet shop and they know it.
    i'm usually too busy actin the bollocks with my friends :)

(i have actually ventured to the big smoke on several occasions ye know!:p)

That's cause your sound ;)
    yep, and ALONE! :mad: its really workin out for me :rolleyes:

Wtf? How on earth do you have the faintest clue that I'm unaware of how badly some women treat men?

When did I mention you??

Can I not use the word "women" ??

Who did that?

Just the idea in general that women are out for money. It's certainly a perception that exists for some people. I have witnessed myself in my own experience and in the lives of others, but I think there are enough women who don't do it for me to be sanguine about the phenomenon.

When did I mention you??

Can I not use the word "women" ??
    In the bit that I quoted. I'm a bit "wtf" with some of what you're saying tbh. You're just making these blanket statements, some of them with zero back-up or else "I'm willing to bet" type qualifications, and then you plead "I don't mean ALL women". Irrespective of that, the statements are pretty darn full-on. Like
    That is pretty bad... even if you don't mean all women. And the last part is again speculative. You're not even bothering to give examples.

Some people are shit - why this obsession with their gender, even if it shapes particular behaviours? If they're bad people, they're bad people. Some of the stuff here is borderline misogynistic. And I would happily state that the equivalent being said about men in a Ladies' Lounge discussion is borderline misandric.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

apologies,

to clarify i was saying i'd rather be rich and happy! and i cant see why anyone couldnt have both! money can be got, happiness not so much, find happiness and you can find money after :)
    Ah right,

Thanks for the clarification.

It's tedious in the extreme to keep having to say *most* and *not all* but I will be doing it in all posts from this point on as it seems it is needed.
    Just the idea in general that women are out for money.

Well, I have it already earlier in the thread, bit no problem repeating it.

I don't think women are out for money at all.

What I do think is that it plays a large part in the 'selection process' for *most* women when choosing who and who not to engage with.

I could tell it myself just from what clothes I wear.

If I just wore a t-shirt and jeans, it would be pulling teeth trying to chat with women, wear a suit jacket and tie and their whole body language changes.

I hear my gf's friends talking and they have a code for guys who are broke, it's "creep". They don't know it's code though, but it is. I often ask them, tongue in cheek, why that guy was a creep and its: "Oh, look at him, his shoes are scruffy, his shirt's from Penny's .. he just looks like a creep" and they'll laugh.

It's got nothing to do with the guy being a "creep" at all, they don't even know him or any other guy, but *most* women judge men by how they present themselves.
    I think there are enough women who don't do it for me to be sanguine about the phenomenon.

Saying that there are "Enough" women who don't do it, implies that you realise that most do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭ronaldoshaky

Whats the point of arguing about it. Like if you meet one decent girl, you dont need to even think about the rest.

I'm delighted you can speak for women though...

I didn't "speak for women", nor am I trying to, i'm speaking for me.

• Advertisement

It's tedious in the extreme to keep having to say *most* and *not all* but I will be doing it in all posts from this point on as it seems it is needed.
    Nope, not at all. It's more the unsubstantiated accusations you make rather than the lack of "most" or "not all" prefixing "women". I love how you keep ignoring my points btw.
    I hear my gf's friends talking and they have a code for guys who are broke, it's "creep". They don't know it's code though, but it is. I often ask them, tongue in cheek, why that guy was a creep and its: "Oh, look at him, his shoes are scruffy, his shirt's from Penny's .. he just looks like a creep" and they'll laugh.
    Sound like a bunch of morons - I'm not friends with any girls like that. And they're in their 20s/30s?! :eek:

Advertisement