Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Red Line

Options
  • 13-09-2013 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hello people. Took two trips yesterday on the red line. Red Cow to Abbey St. Back again later that day. Not from Dublin and nothing against our city cousins. Made some great friends from Dublin. So lets get that out of the way. Just in case.

I have been taking the Luas since it launched. Great service. Heres the thing. It has at times, deteriorated to such a level for ordinary everyday patrons, that it is forcing people on to buses. Thats based on chatting to other people who commute. Fights. Junkies. People in other peoples faces among other things. We have to combat this to let other people travel in peace. God knows its hard enough to hold down a job these days without having to deal with these people. I know theres no simple solution but the powers that be, being Veolia, have to start turning the screw on this, in whatever format that takes. Enough said.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Aren't Veolia gone?

Have to say, I really can't stand that the people who are causing the crap on the LUAS are more often than not not even paying for the trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

The luas red line is just a free ride into town for the junkies to collect their methadone :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,560 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Veolia = Transdev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MGWR

dregin wrote: »
    Aren't Veolia gone?

Have to say, I really can't stand that the people who are causing the crap on the LUAS are more often than not not even paying for the trip.
    Veolia are still there; they've just changed their name for the third time in their history. I'm sure many ought not forget the mess they were when called Connex.

I do wonder what kind of losses Luas is making once the subsidised segment of riders is factored out.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 pappe

dregin wrote: »
    Aren't Veolia gone?

Completely right.
    The thing is that luas troublemakers either stay in or stand out whenever they see an orange vest.
    I explained the situation to Luas customer service, and I am told that they are doing a lot to improve, but so far in several years it is just getting worse and worse. Those people are everywhere form 12 am to 12 pm, I can't take red luas a single time without being subject to intimidation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Train & Rail Systems

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mantra

Why has this thread been moved from train and rail?

Because that forum is for discussing the trains or trams themselves - not the service!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mantra

Fair enough. I will continue to highlight what actually goes on, on a daily basis on the red line of the luas in the proper forum. There is a place for this. People should not tolerate it on a daily basis. Ive seen people of all ages being harrassed. I hope they double the security on this line.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Mantra wrote: »
    I have been taking the Luas since it launched. Great service. Heres the thing. It has at times, deteriorated to such a level for ordinary everyday patrons, that it is forcing people on to buses. Thats based on chatting to other people who commute.

No bad thing. 100s of thousands of people do it a year..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭SteM

dfx- wrote: »
    No bad thing. 100s of thousands of people do it a year..

It's no bad things when people are using buses. The bad thing is when they feel they're forced into using them. If the option is there for my wife and child between luas and bus I'd like her to have the choice of which to use - I don't want her to be in fear of using the more comfortable of the two.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The buses are more comfortable, quieter and hence safer, operated by brand new buses with heating and wifi, easier to get a seat - a seat which has more cushioning on it than the Luas.

I live on the Red Line Luas, but avoid it almost all cost for the superior bus services.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It always left me bemused the way that when the inspectors get on the red line, the tram just empties.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I'm no expert on these things but isn't the Luas far too "open"? There's no barriers anywhere and you can effectively walk on/off at any of the stops no questions asked bar the risk of inspectors. it wouldn't take too much to install barriers would it? This would eliminate a lot of the anti-social free rider element.

road_high wrote: »
    I'm no expert on these things but isn't the Luas far too "open"? There's no barriers anywhere and you can effectively walk on/off at any of the stops no questions asked bar the risk of inspectors. it wouldn't take too much to install barriers would it? This would eliminate a lot of the anti-social free rider element.

Do you know of any tram system in the world that uses such measures?

I'm certainly not aware of any.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

lxflyer wrote: »
    Do you know of any tram system in the world that uses such measures?

I'm certainly not aware of any.

That's why I said i wasn't an expert, so clearly i don't. Do you? . Why would it not be possible? If things are as bad as people are saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

That's why I said i wasn't an expert, so clearly i don't. Do you? . Why would it not be possible? If things are as bad as people are saying.

They are as bad. I went to get on the Luas midweek after work at Hueston going to Tallaght, the door opened to 2 junkies punching the faces off of each other and if you know that stop you can imagine how busy it was with people trying to catch the train. No easy solutions I'm afraid unless a dedicate Garda unit was deployed on this route but that would be too expensive to operate I'd guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Mantra wrote: »
    Hello people. Took two trips yesterday on the red line. Red Cow to Abbey St. Back again later that day.
    So what did you see on these two trips to warrant the thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Two things badly needed:

1. A dedicated transport police with powers of arrest and detention, failing that adequate Garda presence, policing proactively, and with the judiciary prepared to give and enforce exemplary sentencing. If it means building a few more prisons so be it. No sympathy for scumbags.

2. Tighten the criteria for the Free Travel Passes. In no way should they be handed out as willy nilly as they have been, and ban usage before 10 and after 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

It always left me bemused the way that when the inspectors get on the red line, the tram just empties.

I overheard two inspectors on the red line talking about which shifts/lines they prefer. Both of them said that they preferred the red line because of more standard fares. I can only imagine that they get some sort of commission.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 148 ✭✭bezerk

The Luas is not that bad. Sometimes theres junkies and scumbags on it but never had any hassle. It's not as bad as the OP describes it though. I only take the buses because there less crowded than the Luas,don't have a smelly armpit in your face with people holding onto railings or people breathing on you and the bus is far more comfortable. If I'm in a major rush I'll take the Luas

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Aard wrote: »
    I overheard two inspectors on the red line talking about which shifts/lines they prefer. Both of them said that they preferred the red line because of more standard fares. I can only imagine that they get some sort of commission.
    Either that or they make their quota earlier in the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The problem is that they usually only give the standard fare to well dressed passengers. If you get on with a few cans in a tracksuit they'll leave you alone, or just ask you to get off so you can annoy the next load of passengers.

Tram systems the world over are designed on an open access principle.

I don't know of any that have barrier systems.

Given that they operate on-street in many areas it would be next to near impossible to enforce.

As others say - the fundamental problem is a lack of interest from the State as a whole to deal with this societal problem - until the government wakes up and does something to deal with it, the public transport companies are left having to pick up the pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭The Kurgan

Red Line Luas Passengers should heed the following.

1.On entering Luas please mind the "step". (Step being junkie/alcho who' has passed out on the floor)
    2.Make it your priority to sit near to the drivers cabin and opposite side to where the doors open,this will reduce the possibility of robbery/attack.
    3.Sit at the rear of the Luas at your own risk.
    4.Sit in a 4 seater at your own risk.
    5.Do not use your fancy phone.if asked for a loan of your phone..you do not have one.
    6.The stream of water trickling down the aisles may not be water...
    7.Please do not engage in conversation with fellow passengers as they could be from a different planet than yourself.
    8.Do not make eye contact.This can inflame the people from the other planet.
    9.Always put earphones/headphones on regardless if you don't have a device to plug them in to.
    10.On exiting the Luas .......Again please mind the step... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

What can only be described as one of the busiest nights for the Red line, not one single RPU officers or any security on trams. Saw at least 8 trams either way. At least 50% are boarding without paying. Transport operators wonder why they don't make profits.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    What can only be described as one of the busiest vnights for the Red line, not one single RPU officers or any security on trams. Saw at least 8 trams either way. At least 50% are boarding without paying. Transport operators wonder why they don't make profits.....

Are you sure? 50% not paying? Isn't is possible that quite a few legitimate people on public transport use taxsaver tickets. I don't doubt that those who cause disruption may not be paying but to make the blanket assertion that 50% aren't paying suggests a figure pulled from a dank crevasse somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Are you sure? 50% not paying? Isn't is possible that quite a few legitimate people on public transport use taxsaver tickets. I don't doubt that those who cause disruption may not be paying but to make the blanket assertion that 50% aren't paying suggests a figure pulled from a dank crevasse somewhere.

When the majority of people around were teens/early 20's, half drunk, can't see taxsaver tickets coming into it. The fact is RPU staff should be out on a night like tonight, they will be loosing a large amount of revenue this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Big men that they are they go straight for the quiet office worker who won't talk back. The agressive track suit brigade are left alone or stroll off to drink their cans on the next tram

I forgot my tax saver one morning and was issued a fine, fair 'nuff.
    Funny how he checked me standing at the back and walked past the skangers calling him Africa

• Advertisement

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    What can only be described as one of the busiest nights for the Red line, not one single RPU officers or any security on trams. Saw at least 8 trams either way. At least 50% are boarding without paying. Transport operators wonder why they don't make profits.....

How do you know that they didn't have either return tickets purchased earlier or travel passes?

Advertisement