Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardware Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,645 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Who are Galaxy? I've never heard of them. Like the casing however.

galaxygeforcegtx480vchamber01-575x378.jpg

Uses the same vapor cooling seen on the Sapphire Vapor-X line.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

They're actually one of those cheap-'n'-nasty nVidia partners :o

terribad?

nah, safely mediocre :P

Sure does look nice though :D First time I've seen a nice Galaxy card :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

How hot is hot for a gpu?

i was playing a bit of Mafia 2 demo, (with Apex Physics and everything else on High) and after 30min my GTX 460 was hitting 61 degrees at peak.

also, i was only averaging 23-28 fps, and sometimes upto 37 fps briefly.
    is this pretty low? i was using FRAPS, does it use much overhead?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    How hot is hot for a gpu?

i was playing a bit of Mafia 2 demo, (with Apex Physics and everything else on High) and after 30min my GTX 460 was hitting 61 degrees at peak.

also, i was only averaging 23-28 fps, and sometimes upto 37 fps briefly.
    is this pretty low? i was using FRAPS, does it use much overhead?

The temperature is fine, but you should be getting a higher FPS on that. What drivers are you using?

driver version: 8.17.12.5896

i downloaded the newest drivers from nvidia.com, installed and after reboot it apears to be the same driver..

Just an EDIT, i restarted the game with apex physics off, and im getting at least 55 fps. seems like its an absolute hog of gpu resources. i also didnt notice any difference with it off and on.

At a guess I'd say Apex is horribly borked and those cheeky gits are using the demo for some last-minute beta-testing on unsuspecting users... sound familiar ArmA? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

the only thing that puts me off galaxy is their bizarre and worrying tendency to use frogs as models on their retail boxes. Forget sapphire with their hot cyberpunk girls.....frogs are clearly the way.

Whats A-Typical transfer speed between hard drives? I'm getting 70-75 MB/s sending my Steam folder from one to the other: one being a 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda 3gbps sata and the other being a WD 7200RPM sata 6gbps.

For what its worth I will tell you now: The barracuda is dead quiet, the WD, not so much.

i need some bencmark programs for these drives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

A steam folder will probably have lots of different data and file types and sizes in it, lots of random stuff, so 75MB/s doesn't sound that bad to me.
    Try downloading and then copying larger chunks of some ISOs and you probably will get 100++ out of it.
    Some HDD benchmarks are Iometer, Atto or HD Tach, which are often used in reviews around the web, so you can compare the results directly.

Best you can hope for with non-RAIDed, non-server magnetic HDDs is ~155MB/s in a large single file transfer between two Samsung F3s. If you're lucky :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Looks like the next Ati series are imminent

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ATI-Catalyst-10-8-Driver-Leaks-Southern-Islands-HD-6000-Codenames-153800.shtml

They are listed in the latest driver release. So is this a revision of current cards or the jump to the next ones?

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Looks like the next Ati series are imminent

http://news.softpedia.com/news/ATI-Catalyst-10-8-Driver-Leaks-Southern-Islands-HD-6000-Codenames-153800.shtml

They are listed in the latest driver release. So is this a revision of current cards or the jump to the next ones?

It is a revision of the current cards and the jump to the next ones :)

Cayman Antilles probably multi-gpu cards.

201008aug26.th.png

Woot!
    Cayman XT 6718 (=6870) benchmark: http://we.pcinlife.com/thread-1498296-1-1.html
    GTX480 busted? Idk, 2000 more points seems too good to be true...

"But now, let's do --- the neeeewwws!"

GOOD NEWS! This morning, on my way to work, I was overtaken by the new Dacia Sandero!
    daciasandero1.jpg

[end of james may impersonating mode]

Anyway, the GF106 aka GTS450 benchmarked, results below 5770. Which means that it's on par with the GTS250...lol. ASUS OC version with an incredible 925MHz hits 150W ... but probably overvolted.
    For comparison:
    GTS250: 11.8 GPixel/s, 47.2 GTexel/s, 70.4 GByte/s
    GTS450: 12.5 GPixel/s, 25.0 GTexel/s, 56.7 GByte/s

An expected still-to-come GTS455 is rumored to be another 192bit variant of the GF104 (seen on GTX460). My bet is on 288 Streamprocessors and 48 TMUs on this one, which would beat the 5770 with ease.

Then we will see the GF108 chip in the GT230, which is expected to hit markets in October with a 128-bit wide interface. With only 96 SPs, 16 TMUs and 8 ROPs (edit2: i f***ed up, must be 16 ROPs) this card will be completely underpowered for its 1GB of RAM (yes, seriously). But maybe it can catch up to a GT240 or a HD5670. I suspect that this card is supposed to become the eye-catcher for the OEM-market, since OEMs love presenting big numbers to their unknowing customers ("1024 MB VRAM!!!!!!!11111").

This all seems a bit obsolete tho, since the Radeon HD6000 ATI series (pardon me, AMD) is by now expected in October (!). Does anyone think Nvidia stands a chance from that point on?

EDIT:
    More infos today:
    Radeon 6800 and 6900multi-GPU are supposed to get a 384bit memory interface .. :eek:
    Radeon 6770 supposed to beat the GTX460-1024 by a slight margin, priced the same. Launchday Oct 13th, which is quite ironic, since on the same day Nvidia is going to release its GF108 :)

EDIT2:
    More new bits:
    B3D forum:
    - improved Cypress architecture, all GPU blocks improved (so shaders too?)
    - better performance clock for clock, less power consumption.
    - The experience in the 40nm process allows for better organization of the die (and save space - that's what I personaly wondered if possible)
    - Better yields allow for more complicated structures
    - new UVD 3.0 decoder, with full video playback acceleration for Eyefinity, up to 6 monitors. Overall better decoder.
    - no problems with samples of chips and cards, not even with the 6970.
    - prototypes might be send to AMD partners in the coming weeks
    - AMD wants HD6970 on the market before Xmas (obviously!)
    - No worries from competetion, they believe Radeons will reign in DX11 generation
    - Aggressive pricing planned, as long as enough cards can be produced. (buy one asap before prices go up! )
    - First low-end, then middle, then HD6970.
    - HD6800 planed for beginning of 2011, could be earlier though.

- no comment on the rumour AMD would be doing a fusion processor for next Xbox.
    - lots of optimizm in the AMD camp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Hey,

I'm looking at moving my RAID setup onto a dedicated system.

I currently have 4x Samsung F1 1TB drives and looking to add to it {probably in a different ARRAY}.

But where is the best option:

4 x Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB HD103SJ

or

2 x Samsung SpinPoint F3EG 2TB HD203WI

Are the 2TB mature/reliable enough to trust as a NAS disk ?

Anyway, the GF106 aka GTS450 benchmarked, results below 5770. Which means that it's on par with the GTS250...lol. ASUS OC version with an incredible 925MHz hits 150W ... but probably overvolted.
    For comparison:
    GTS250: 11.8 GPixel/s, 47.2 GTexel/s, 70.4 GByte/s
    GTS450: 12.5 GPixel/s, 25.0 GTexel/s, 56.7 GByte/s

I recall a bunch of us already made the GTS250=GTS450 joke over on the old LOL@FERMI thread in Graphics... and behold! Life once again imitates art :pac:

That's an incredible amount of donkey-corpse-flogging though... 8800GTS = 9800GTX+ = GTS250 = GTS450 :o That thing's been rehashed more times than the Ninbendo DS! :pac:

Few surprises though - we all knew AMD were only doing a minor architectural update to improve the sloppy performance-per-clock that both the shaders and ROPs had on HD5000 and further boost repeatibility and power efficiency of the 40nm dies. Now I'm wondering if I shouild hold on until next month before buying stuff - if HD6700 hits the shelves in volume it could cause more price cuts for the GTX460s :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Solitaire wrote: »
    Now I'm wondering if I shouild hold on until next month before buying stuff - if HD6700 hits the shelves in volume it could cause more price cuts for the GTX460s :D
    Maybe....

Interesting... looking at HWVS and the lower-mid-range is turning into a real slapfest - you can see both HD5750 1GB and GTS450s starting just past €110 and pre-OCd versions at just a fiver more, with another fiver on top of that getting you the Palit Sonic with a meaty 12% OC... but even then its under serious pressure from the HD5770 1GB range which has been dropped to start at under €125 now - some serious price dueling going on right now :eek:

I <3 price dueling :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

Intel Software unlock of processor performance.
    From Engadget: Intel wants to charge $50 to unlock stuff your CPU can already do
    9-18-10-intel600.jpg

We can all see where this will be going in a few months time. No OCing Sandy Bridge via bus, and now you'll have to buy extra unlocked bins on the new CPUs in order to OC at all - and I bet those bins will be "rented", with clients being forced to pay €50 every three months or so to "keep" access to the bins and thus keep their OC :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Its finally happened - Intel finally went and pulled Nineball's shotgun trick. AMD win by default :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

duffman85 wrote: »
    Intel Software unlock of processor performance.
    From Engadget: Intel wants to charge $50 to unlock stuff your CPU can already do
    9-18-10-intel600.jpg
    Solitaire wrote: »
    We can all see where this will be going in a few months time. No OCing Sandy Bridge via bus, and now you'll have to buy extra unlocked bins on the new CPUs in order to OC at all - and I bet those bins will be "rented", with clients being forced to pay €50 every three months or so to "keep" access to the bins and thus keep their OC :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Its finally happened - Intel finally went and pulled Nineball's shotgun trick. AMD win by default :cool:

Its not all that bad - whats described in the engadget article. You pay more for more performance ala VW with their TDI, TDI and TDI engines.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Intel_Software_Upgrade.torrent

I didn't mean the current scheme, that's just Intel flogging some i3s binned as PGs off to OEMs then giving owners the option of upgrading the PG back up to i3-hood. Nothing wrong with that at all.

The thing is, Intel has already warned us that this idea is a trial for something more... comprehensive... and we also know Sandy Bridge can't be OCd as the bCLK is hardware-locked and the formerly unlocked -K premium series will be downgraded to severely limit how much the multiplier can be increased past stock (IIRC the words from the original article were "just a few bins" - likely 266-400MHz past stock). So no OCing Intel's next CPU unless you can stump up a grand for an Extreme Edition. Suicide, surely? :confused:

But what if Intel went and cut a deal with board partners to set guaranteed OC settings for CPUs? Then they could charge people money in return for push-button OCing of a CPU. It would allow clueless technophobes instantly boost their CPU without any fiddling in return for cold hard cash. Odds are the higher-binned K-series will allow you to purchase even bigger boosts and functionality (eg. turn an i5-750 into an i7-860) in return for more moolah.

Worse still, there's the ignomious horror of the dreaded GCRS (Guaranteed Constant Revenue Stream) to think about. The Pentium G upgrade is a one-time thing but how long do you think it will take Intel to "rent out" the Sandy Bridge upgrades? We can blame EA and BioWare all we like for pushing "microtransaction" ass****ery but hypercapitalism's vile offspring has been with us since the invention of pay-per-view TV and mobile phones. Its just that nowadays every unscrupulous corporation under the sun is trying to come up with a clever (and legal) excuse to ram some form of GCRS up our rears. After all, what company doesn't want to sell the same old rope at twice the price it was originally sold for? And there'll be a line of peeps who would love to "own" an i7 for €150, not realising that over the 2-3 years they own it they'll actually be shelling out €400+ for the privelige... Add the fact that a legit, push-button OC would have much larger mainstream appeal than current OCing and Intel may be about to roll out a modern grift for modern gamers :o

[/rant]

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I want to spend the extra money on a new mobo and a Bulldozer CPU just to stick it to Intel now :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

According to semi accurate we will see the 6870 by mid to late November, with OEMs Shipments beginning around the time the 6770 is hitting stores.

Looks like good times ahead as wafer supplies are much higher and yields are very good. :)

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/09/24/amds-6870-coming-november/

This is my favourite bit
    Stick around, the rest of 2010 is going to be very exciting from a GPU standpoint, and early 2011 looks just as good. Unless you are an Nvidia stockholder, then it won't be nearly as fun

:pac:

marco_polo wrote: »
    The top notch Corsair F60 SSD is exactly the same price (Makes me sad as I payed only £15 less for the 40Gb version about two months ago :().

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/233258

Edit: Actually the similar performing 60Gb OCZ vertex 2 is also very similar price:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/225415

Both have the latest sandforce controller so can't go wrong either way.

phew nearly said this in the BA section..

ive been seriously considering getting an SSD for some time now, but not in dire need of one, i figured it pays to wait.

anyway, of the two of them, which one is better? i cant find any reviews comparing the two. my gut is saying to go with the Corsair.. but i dunno.. help?

There is a thread for BA chat ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

ive been seriously considering getting an SSD for some time now, but not in dire need of one, i figured it pays to wait.

anyway, of the two of them, which one is better? i cant find any reviews comparing the two. my gut is saying to go with the Corsair.. but i dunno.. help?

Would probably plump for the Vertex 2 myself all things being equal, but really you could flip a coin as they are all but identical (the 100Gb versions are compared here: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=911&type=expert&pid=1), I have seen it claimed that OCZ have better support and slightly earlier access to firmware upgrades from Sandforce as the preferred OEM.

Just out of curiousity I ran the ATTO benchmark there on my F40, very close to what it says on the tin:

129194.jpg

Advertisement