Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Morte wrote: »
    When is the best time to do the DLC? I'm on my first playthrough and thinking of downloading it. Get the four souls for the Lordvessel and then do the DLC just before finishing the game? I've already killed Sif :(.

The DLC bosses are quite tough compared to most of the normal bosses. They would be on par with Ornstein and Smough.

I wouldn't attempt it until at least SL 70 unless you are a confident player and have a solid build. I would recommend doing most if not all of the lords before heading in there.

Having said that, there seems to be a lot of help with summoning if needed but on the flip side alot of invading also! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Did any of you go back and fight the dual Chimeras? I don't know what exactly triggers two of them spawning but its after you kill the solo one obviously. Probably the hardest fight in the game. You don't get anything extra from killing them except another chance at their tail weapons if you missed out on it during the first fight. I have yet to kill them, although i only attempted the fight twice :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

There's a place with two of them? Where?

Artorias is some pain in the ass at NG+. Fecker always seems to pull out that move where he repeatedly does the jump attack when you have him down to 10% or so.

Oh yeah and whats the story with the miracles achievment?, i'm 99% sure i have all of them but still no achievment, i've some of them twice. Please don't say i've to cast them as well.

There's a place with two of them? Where?

Artorias is some pain in the ass at NG+. Fecker always seems to pull out that move where he repeatedly does the jump attack when you have him down to 10% or so.

Oh yeah and whats the story with the miracles achievment?, i'm 99% sure i have all of them but still no achievment, i've some of them twice. Please don't say i've to cast them as well.

They're in the Sanctuary Garden, where the original boss was.

Fought them last night and they're tough alright. Had to use a Crystal shield for the lightning block and burn one down with SB and WoTG spam. Ended up poise tanking and 2 handing my Iaito and chugging when needed once the first was low as SB had worn off.

Was obviously easy once I had the first down. Great fight though, reminded me of Maneaters in Demon's!

Regarding the Miracles you definitely don't need to cast them, just have them! Did you get all the covenant rank ones like the 3 lightning spears and the two gravelord ones etc?

aahh sunlight spear it is then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Would saves from the original version of the game be compatible with the Prepare to Die edition that has just been released on consoles? I've seen a review on Amazon that says they aren't and was wondering if anyone here had problems.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Would saves from the original version of the game be compatible with the Prepare to Die edition that has just been released on consoles? I've seen a review on Amazon that says they aren't and was wondering if anyone here had problems.

They are not compatible, I bought the prepare to die and the saves don't carry over. I was annoyed but now see it as a good thing, I got to start a fresh character and now at the DLC at sl60. I had originally planned on doing it at sl50 but as a melee build it was a little over the top, so continued to a more faithy build.

The new content has blown me away, its awesome. The nods to the lore and stuff is epic. I'm just after getting through the royal woods and have cleared the town up to the shortcut back to the bonfire. I'm delighted I didn't read anything about the new stuff because its reminding me of why I loved this game the first time: going around ****ting myself not knowing what could jump out :D

Spoiler:
    That dark magic Dragon is a bastard, I don't seem to have any way to hurt him as I don't have Dex for a bow (guessing by the arrows and hint). Great magic barrier gets me down to engage him and I just found the silver pendant so might head back in a while.
    The hidden wall to the pendant was intense. I had 40k+ souls and a heap of humanity on me. I didn't read the hint at first and next minute I'm standing on a ledge with that intense Terminator music thinking "oh ****, oh ****, oh ****" epic stuff.

Enough with my ramblings... what a game! :pac: Not even finished the Prepare To Die content and already would cough up money for a new Souls game. The universe its set in is borderline genius.

Danonino. wrote: »
    They are not compatible, I bought the prepare to die and the saves don't carry over. I was annoyed but now see it as a good thing, I got to start a fresh character and now at the DLC at sl60. I had originally planned on doing it at sl50 but as a melee build it was a little over the top, so continued to a more faithy build.

The new content has blown me away, its awesome. The nods to the lore and stuff is epic. I'm just after getting through the royal woods and have cleared the town up to the shortcut back to the bonfire. I'm delighted I didn't read anything about the new stuff because its reminding me of why I loved this game the first time: going around ****ting myself not knowing what could jump out :D

Spoiler:
    That dark magic Dragon is a bastard, I don't seem to have any way to hurt him as I don't have Dex for a bow (guessing by the arrows and hint). Great magic barrier gets me down to engage him and I just found the silver pendant so might head back in a while.
    The hidden wall to the pendant was intense. I had 40k+ souls and a heap of humanity on me. I didn't read the hint at first and next minute I'm standing on a ledge with that intense Terminator music thinking "oh ****, oh ****, oh ****" epic stuff.

Enough with my ramblings... what a game! :pac: Not even finished the Prepare To Die content and already would cough up money for a new Souls game. The universe its set in is borderline genius.

The DLC is great alright, really enjoyed / enjoying it and it's actually brought my love for Dark up there with Demon's.

Regarding Kalameet. You can melee him it just takes a long time solo. His movements are actually quite easy to read once you learn them. A shield with a Stability above 70 would be recommended. Also you can roll away from all his Black flame attacks easily if you are fast rolling. Once you learn his moveset you can fight him all day and not take damage, just be patient with getting hits in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Ah right, so I'd need another copy of the game to use my save then. That would mean the new areas would be NG+/NG++ (can't remember) which might not be the best idea.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Ah right, so I'd need another copy of the game to use my save then. That would mean the new areas would be NG+/NG++ (can't remember) which might not be the best idea.

You just need to buy and download the DLC from the PS store and your saves will work.

• Advertisement

Big Knox wrote: »
    You just need to buy and download the DLC from the PS store and your saves will work.

I forgot to mention that :( I wanted a disc copy because I'm weird like that but yeah if you download it it will be considered DarkSouls and your old saves will work.

quick question: When you download it do you get the different title screen and select disc (on ps3) screen? just curious.
    Found it strange that it uses the same Trophys/achievements and not the saves when you have the disc version :confused:

The DLC is great alright, really enjoyed / enjoying it and it's actually brought my love for Dark up there with Demon's.

Regarding Kalameet. You can melee him it just takes a long time solo. His movements are actually quite easy to read once you learn them. A shield with a Stability above 70 would be recommended. Also you can roll away from all his Black flame attacks easily if you are fast rolling. Once you learn his moveset you can fight him all day and not take damage, just be patient with getting hits in.

I think he is talking about Kalameet as he is flying around the waterfall area since he mentioned he doesn't have high Dex + a bow.

I dunno if it would be considered a spoiler but you don't actually fight him while he is flying about, sure i don't know if its even possible to damage him with a bow as he is flying since he moves so fast. The way to bring him out of the air and into a ground fight is:
    You have to find the key to Gough's cell. Its in the township area after you decent downwards and come into the large room with the pillars.....i think :P You then visit Gough and he will shoot down Kalameet for you. Gough's cell is located near the pvp queue area up some stairs on your left after you kill Artorius

I think he is talking about Kalameet as he is flying around the waterfall area since he mentioned he doesn't have high Dex + a bow.

I dunno if it would be considered a spoiler but you don't actually fight him while he is flying about, sure i don't know if its even possible to damage him with a bow as he is flying since he moves so fast. The way to bring him out of the air and into a ground fight is:
    You have to find the key to Gough's cell. Its in the township area after you decent downwards and come into the large room with the pillars.....i think :P You then visit Gough and he will shoot down Kalameet for you. Gough's cell is located near the pvp queue area up some stairs on your left after you kill Artorius

Actually you're probably right, that makes more sense reading back now!! Ahh well I'm sure someone will get something useful out of my now completely unnecessary info!! :pac:

Regarding Gough, has anyone else killed him yet?
    Man, I really didn't expect it to go the way it did. He actually killed me within seconds with his bodyslams as I was completely unprepared. I was expecting something similar to the Giant blacksmith in Anor Londo but his moveset is completely unique.
    It's little things like that why I love the game!

Danonino. wrote: »
    I forgot to mention that :( I wanted a disc copy because I'm weird like that but yeah if you download it it will be considered DarkSouls and your old saves will work.

quick question: When you download it do you get the different title screen and select disc (on ps3) screen? just curious.
    Found it strange that it uses the same Trophys/achievements and not the saves when you have the disc version :confused:

Sorry meant to answer this earlier. Title screen doesn't change, same old Dark Souls one!

I'm beyond tempted to read those spoiler hidden things :D but yeah I was trying to attack him down by the waterfall. (Couldn't help myself reading the rest :o Good to know I don't have to fight him there.) Kinda sickened I was after figuring out areas he couldn't reach where I had enough time to attack and all :'(

I've noticed some strange things in the game that feel very different or seem to have been changed that I'll have to look up once I've completed the new content.
    Things like the Pisaca (blue weird guys in the dukes archives jail) being almost twice as fast as I remember, and Sieglinde (female onion soldier) still heading to firelink even though I failed to kill all the blue golems. I dided after killing two and she left, I killed the rest out of annoyance :pac: Pretty sure I should have failed the Siegmeyer timeline by not killing them first time but its still on track. Those are the two most recent I can remember but there have been loads. I haven't read up anything on the changes so I'm looking forward to finishing and then seeing how many i spotted :D
    Sorry meant to answer this earlier. Title screen doesn't change, same old Dark Souls one!

Cool I was wondering. Title screen on the disc version is different, the disc selection screen is the same as the cover (all moody blue Artorias) and is awesome. I'm also pretty sure the game saves are named differently too. I'll have a look later to see if there is a demo screen/movie at the title screen I might have missed.

What!!!! ye don't get the title screen with Gwynevere in a string bikini fighting queelag?

What!!!! ye don't get the title screen with Gwynevere in a string bikini fighting queelag?

You sure it's not Gywndolin? He might have been tucking!! :P

Just trying to justify spending 40 quid on the game again like an idiot :o
    Ah Gwynevere... sigh...
    "amazing chest ahead"

New content was awesome, Manus was awesome. Completely missed everything to do with
    Sif. Had wanted the cleric armour before the DLC content so he was well gone. Probably be a long time till I do another run. I remember reading not to kill him ages ago in this tread but for some reason was convinced it was Seath so the wolf got axed
    :(

The pvp area and all the crap that goes with it is ****. *I had a big rant here but everyone knows why pvp is lame*

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

The DLC bosses are quite tough compared to most of the normal bosses. They would be on par with Ornstein and Smough.

I wouldn't attempt it until at least SL 70 unless you are a confident player and have a solid build. I would recommend doing most if not all of the lords before heading in there.

Having said that, there seems to be a lot of help with summoning if needed but on the flip side alot of invading also! :pac:
    Cheers. I'm level 68 but awful at this game. I don't like the online play so I think I'll finish the lords first.

33% of Dark Souls on Steam at the moment, bringing it down to €26.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,183 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Okay, just bought the DLC.

I have gone back to a file I made for some early game PVP - SL 37.

Just rang the first Bell.

What more do I need to do to access the new areas?

And what sort of stuff should I not do? (i.e. someone said don't kill SIF until after the DLC for an interesting side scene etc)

noodler wrote: »
    Okay, just bought the DLC.

I have gone back to a file I made for some early game PVP - SL 37.

Just rang the first Bell.

What more do I need to do to access the new areas?

And what sort of stuff should I not do? (i.e. someone said don't kill SIF until after the DLC for an interesting side scene etc)

Kill the Hydra in the Darkroot Basin. Kill the Golden golem behind the Hydra and talk to Dusk. Then carry on as normal and once you reach the Duke's Archives kill the blue golem just after the first bonfire to get the Broken pendant. Once you have the pendant head back to where you saved Dusk.

Leaving Sif alive is the only thing that influences anything in the rest of Lordran but to get the cutscene you need to do something specific regarding Sif in the DLC which I won't give away so you might want to look it up as it happens in a secret area!

Thank you.

Stuck in Blightown at the moment.

Wasting all my humanity at the same part I did when I first did Blighttown one year ago (just after first bonfire).

Does anyone know what outfit increase faith/miracle power?

Wearing the WAY of the White stuff at the moment,

None. I dont know of any armour that increases magic DMG cept Dusk's helm and i think that may be for Sorcery's only...

Yeah Crown of Dusk is the only item that boosts magic / miracle damage. In terms of armour. If you roll / dodge alot just wear whatever gives you the most resistance while staying under 25% equip burden. (Which won't be alot really).

Or you could go a bit heavier and stay under 50% for extra protection but a slower but still decent dodge. Alternatively if you never really dodge and prefer to turtle then don't worry about equip burden and put on the highest protection armour you have.

I would strongly recommend staying reasonably light however, dodging is the best method of avoiding damage in the game. The invincibility frames of the fast roll are hard to time at first but a guaranteed way of not taking any damage when you learn it.

I would recommend using Havels ring to help with the equip burden! I always swap between it and the wolf ring depending on the situation.

Yeah Crown of Dusk is the only item that boosts magic / miracle damage. In terms of armour. If you roll / dodge alot just wear whatever gives you the most resistance while staying under 25% equip burden. (Which won't be alot really).

Or you could go a bit heavier and stay under 50% for extra protection but a slower but still decent dodge. Alternatively if you never really dodge and prefer to turtle then don't worry about equip burden and put on the highest protection armour you have.

I would strongly recommend staying reasonably light however, dodging is the best method of avoiding damage in the game. The invincibility frames of the fast roll are hard to time at first but a guaranteed way of not taking any damage when you learn it.

I would recommend using Havels ring to help with the equip burden! I always swap between it and the wolf ring depending on the situation.

Yeah yeah - I platinumed the game last year! Just wondering if there was an early game way to increase great lightning spear's damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Some tweaks posted on RPS to help the game run smoother - in case anyone on PC wasn't aware

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/09/dark-souls-mods/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Started with a new character after downloading the DLC, I've gotten really shit at it by the looks of it.
    Do many people still play online?

• Advertisement

derfderf wrote: »
    Started with a new character after downloading the DLC, I've gotten really shit at it by the looks of it.
    Do many people still play online?

I loaded a file where I had only just rang the first bell.

Went to the Depths, BlightTown, Sens and now Andor Londo.

Only invaded once in BlightTown.

Advertisement