Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little boiler help

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

Boiler servicing is not just a service. It a safety check that an experienced person will spot any other potential problems that could be very serious, if not potentaly life threatening.

I've often serviced perfect boilers and spotted a different serious safety problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

scudo2 wrote: »
    Boiler servicing is not just a service. It a safety check that an experienced person will spot any other potential problems that could be very serious, if not potentaly life threatening.

I've often serviced perfect boilers and spotted a different serious safety problem.

Every week I come across them , had a prima funnily enough that was working perfectly ,noticed flame lift straight away . Stuck the analyser in and shot up to 6500ppm , flue was rotten. How does a man without the equipment know how to check these things , or even know what flame lift is for that matter .

Egass13 wrote: »
    Every week I come across them , had a prima funnily enough that was working perfectly ,noticed flame lift straight away . Stuck the analyser in and shot up to 6500ppm , flue was rotten. How does a man without the equipment know how to check these things , or even know what flame lift is for that matter .

To the uniformed.
    When Egass says 6500pm he's talking about levels of carbon monoxide,

As low as 300ppm (parts per million) is life threatening after less than 1 hour exposure.

Figure it out yourself !!!!

People have died from faulty appliances.

To the uniformed.
    When Egass says 6500pm he's talking about levels of carbon monoxide,

As low as 300ppm (parts per million) is life threatening after less than 1 hour exposure.

Figure it out yourself !!!!

People have died from faulty appliances.

Sure it's grand , he Dsnt need to be bogged down with those minuscule details scudo , he's a mechanic after all

burke027 wrote: »
    Well considering it came from the exact same boiler identical in every way I fail to see what adjustment you make on the pcb do u want me to post a picture to prove there no adjustments and all only push on connections that only fit the correct corresponding part. In fact I'm sorry but with two boilers side by side a monkey would swap out the pcb

And as stated what's wrong with changing the pcb so long as no gas or water has being touched. Il tell u nothing at all only the fact that my heating is working.

I posted this on a DIY forum for advice not to be told contact this r that it's DIY for a reason.

But anyways you work away and service the boiler 2 months after it's being serviced.

Why is it always those who know the least who want to dictate the right and wrongs of a subject:confused:

What you did is illegal and this is a public forum where advice could encourage and promote unsafe situations.

Gas fitting is not rocket science and as you mentioned could be done by a monkey but i make a mistake I kill someone.

If there is ever a problem you will be judged on the whole installation as am I which makes me very nervous judging by the amount of badly fitted boilers I see.

Why should I have to assume the person asking for help is switched on, safe and knows there stuff cos they done a bit back in the day when most DIYers I delt with over the years have proved otherwise.

Who should judge the safety in anything, those with the experience of seeing the outcome of thousands of jobs or those with a passing interest who find it all very very simplistic.

Sorry, was it mentioned it's illegal:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭dodzy

Jesus lads, I think you made your point in the last 7 consecutive posts.

dodzy wrote: »

It would be absolutely fantastic to think that wouldn't it, but i'v been banging on about gas safety for over 25 years and the point still isn't accepted by those who feel they know better, so now your a convert you can spread the word and give the rest of us a break.

Dodzy with the greatest of respect , there is a difference between making a point and having your point understood. If you go back to the 8th post of this thread , it could of ended there with a bit of civility , but the op decided to keep banging on about being a mechanic for some reason so it got dragged out. I'm sure it's not the last time this type of thread will come up either

Egass13 wrote: »
    Dodzy with the greatest of respect , there is a difference between making a point and having your point understood. If you go back to the 8th post of this thread , it could of ended there with a bit of civility , but the op decided to keep banging on about being a mechanic for some reason so it got dragged out. I'm sure it's not the last time this type of thread will come up either
    Post 8 is exactly where this thread should have ended, on a good note. Egass, your posts have all been solid, no argument.

@ Burke, really you should have took the compliment at that point and let it go.

That said, my final word on this: IMO, there are certain aspects of domestic issues that can be tackled, and tackled successfully, with a combination of good advice from those in the know combined with a general sense of understanding ones ability and limitations, instead of the usual predictive response of "leave it alone, you're not qualified, leave it to the pros, you're messing with the lives of your family, etc;"

Post 8 is exactly where this thread should have ended, on a good note. Egass, your posts have all been solid, no argument.

@ Burke, really you should have took the compliment at that point and let it go.

That said, my final word on this: IMO, there are certain aspects of domestic issues that can be tackled, and tackled successfully, with a combination of good advice from those in the know combined with a general sense of understanding ones ability and limitations, instead of the usual predictive response of "leave it alone, you're not qualified, leave it to the pros, you're messing with the lives of your family, etc;"

Would you still have that attitude, especially in reference to your last sentence, if you lost your sister to carbon monoxide as my family did ?

Most replys here were from highly experienced professionals giving advice free of charge.
    They stick to what there qualified in and only give advice on that forum. Look up their CV's and you'll see that the don't give advice on anything else that can be dangerous, if not life threatening.

THERE WAS A REASON why it was made ( and had to be made ) a criminal offence for anybody to go at gas that wasn't qualified.

There is a serious side to the advice we give, if it helps then all the better, if we can help then that's good, if we can get somebody safely out of a jam, all the better.

But if they don't listen to the majority then ............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

The only advice we could really give a person on gas boilers is how to turn them on and how to top up the pressure in them

Would you still have that attitude, especially in reference to your last sentence, if you lost your sister to carbon monoxide as my family did ?

Most replys here were from highly experienced professionals giving advice free of charge.

THERE WAS A REASON why it was made a criminal offence for anybody to go at gas that wasn't qualified.
    My sympathies to your family Scudo, and I'm not doubting previous posters credentials, including yours, but while we are on the subject:

1. There is absolutely NO guarantee that securing the services of a RGI will ensure a good standard of work

2. The only advice which you referred to was given in the first 2 posts
    of this thread. Everything else was the same message.

I had initially pointed out that IMO, Burke should have bowed out gracefully after post #8, but, no offence to the man, he was like a dog with a bone.

I fear you are on similar ground now, so I'll leave it to ya.

And there we have it, same old same old, but what use is knowledge without experience.

Firstly I don't really care if you fix your own boiler because i'v given up trying to stop you and those like you who think the idea of gas safety is a conspiracy hatched up by money grabbing gas monkeys.

The thing I find offensive is the lack of interest in safety and assuming because a boiler is in your home your free of any of the responsibility that make's me fearful of making a mistake.

You say working on gas is not dangerious based on what?

Without the case coming off i'v nearly lost my life twice due to others stupidity yet you say there's no risk, I know of prosecutions with issues due to pcbs, i'v seen the damaged caused by those who would have said the same as yourself up until it went pear shaped.

I, like other who work on appliances have seen the outcome of silliness but yet those who have limited experience have a opinion which is surprisingly different.

So fiddle all you like I have no interest but please don't tell me it's risk free i'v seen far to much silliness that proves otherwise.

Tell me why do you think others and myself bang on so boringly about safety?

My sympathies to your family Scudo, and I'm not doubting previous posters credentials, including yours, but while we are on the subject:

1. There is absolutely NO guarantee that securing the services of a RGI will ensure a good standard of work

2. The only advice which you referred to was given in the first 2 posts
    of this thread. Everything else was the same message.

I had initially pointed out that IMO, Burke should have bowed out gracefully after post #8, but, no offence to the man, he was like a dog with a bone.

I fear you are on similar ground now, so I'll leave it to ya.

I totally agree, but the advice given is coming from seasoned gas fitters, like others I'm passionate about gas safety and that message can be lost at times.

DODZY POST

I fear you are on similar ground now, so I'll leave it to ya.[/quote]

It's not a dog with a bone attitude.!
    Its just trying to be helpfull attitude.

I'm finished.

gary71 wrote: »
    And there we have it, same old same old, but what use is knowledge without experience.

Firstly I don't really care if you fix your own boiler because i'v given up trying to stop you and those like you who think the idea of gas safety is a conspiracy hatched up by money grabbing gas monkeys.
    At no point did I indicate what you have stated
    The thing I find offensive is the lack of interest in safety and assuming because a boiler is in your home your free of any of the responsibility that make's me fearful of making a mistake.
    What gives you that idea?
    You say working on gas is not dangerious based on what?
    Where did I say that ?
    Without the case coming off i'v nearly lost my life twice due to others stupidity yet you say there's no risk, I know of prosecutions with issues due to pcbs, i'v seen the damaged caused by those who would have said the same as yourself up until it went pear shaped.
    Is it possible that your predecessor in this case was/were RGI ?

Tell me why do you think others and myself bang on so boringly about safety?
    Safety is never "boring", and always warrants maximum respect. FWIW, I think its great that you and other professionals like you tirelessly point out the risks to others. But surely, even you have to admit, that there are massive differences in the ability of DIYers who frequent boards. In that regard, I think that it would be better if advice was a little more forthcoming and leave it to the individual to decide if the required works are within their scope of ability or not ?
    I totally agree, but the advice given is coming from seasoned gas fitters, like others I'm passionate about gas safety and that message can be lost at times.
    All due respect Gary, but you're waffling in some of your above comments. How can you tell me that because I repaired a PCB in an appliance that I have a blatant disregard for the welfare of my family and for safety in general?

I know my limitations, but am comfortable to at least investigate most things, ensuring that I have properly researched what is required, evaluated potential risks, trawled through advice fora on relevant information, etc. and then make a decision on whether I am confident to move forward or to pass the task onto another party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

All due respect Gary, but you're waffling in some of your above comments. How can you tell me that because I repaired a PCB in an appliance that I have a blatant disregard for the welfare of my family and for safety in general?

I don't normally respond to gas related posts in the DIY forum because this is a DIY forum & gas is strictly a professional & very strictly governed area of expertise, so the two really do not go together. Advice for gas should be sought in the Plumbing & Heating Forum.
    However, I will answer some of your questions that I feel warrant an explanation.
    You are endangering yourself, your family, anybody who enters your property & anybody who comes within the vicinity of your home when you replace the pcb yourself as you could potentially unknowingly disable a safety device of that boiler. Some pcb's require specific adjustments to their potentiometers in order that they know what power output boiler they are fitted to. Many boiler ranges use the same pcb across a range of output boilers & have to be told what they are fitted to. Pcb's control every safety feature of a boiler, including the gas valve, fans, fan speeds, air pressure switches, & some even control burner pressures & some even determine the burner pressure for the gas they are burning. Get them wrong & you could have a fatal issue.

Some boilers door seals have the pcb in that chamber, some don't. Do you know how to do a case seal test to ensure the door has sealed corrected when you put it back together?

What blew the pcb in the first instance? Was it a high carbon monoxide flue issue that overheated the fan that power surged the pcb? Are you fitting a new pcb only to re-start the high CO issue?
    I know my limitations, but am comfortable to at least investigate most things, ensuring that I have properly researched what is required, evaluated potential risks, trawled through advice fora on relevant information, etc. and then make a decision on whether I am confident to move forward or to pass the task onto another party.

Do you really know your limitations? How do you know what you do not know?

A given up plumber come mechanic is by no means somebody who even comes close to being suitable to open a gas boiler, work on said appliance & most certainly not change a pcb.

I'm not having a go at you, but I thought I might try explain in simple terms why a DIY'er should not work on any gas appliance in any manner. Even worse than somebody who knows they have no clue about what they are doing is somebody who incorrectly thinks they know what they doing. Those people have no fear & every person including myself needs a whole lot of fear & respect of gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭jimf

don't often see the gas boys posting here on the diy forum

so I think when they go to the trouble of posting here we should all listen and take what they have to say on board

Advertisement