Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little boiler help

Options
  • 18-02-2014 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭

Ok so guys hear goes I have a baxi boiler 35/80 which was showing a fault of pump or low pressure. So I took a flyer and fitted the new pump and repressiresed the system and I'm getting the same fault so I'm asking do I need to do anything else after fitting the pump as in bleed it or anything
    Any help would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Are you sure the pump was gone.The problem could be the diafram,the water pressure switch or the hydrolic setup is blocked.
    They are the problems that cause that.
    Your Rgi should have know those before he changed the pump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Egass13

burke027 wrote: »
    Ok so guys hear goes I have a baxi boiler 35/80 which was showing a fault of pump or low pressure. So I took a flyer and fitted the new pump and repressiresed the system and I'm getting the same fault so I'm asking do I need to do anything else after fitting the pump as in bleed it or anything
    Any help would be great

Very rare that it's actually the pump , as Robbie said there are a few other factors that cause that fault . Did your rgi confirm the pump was the issue ? Did he check all the other possibilities first ?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭burke027

Egass13 wrote: »
    Very rare that it's actually the pump , as Robbie said there are a few other factors that cause that fault . Did your rgi confirm the pump was the issue ? Did he check all the other possibilities first ?

Guys your using the exact same as I use in the motor trade I'm a mechanic and I'd say that but I also done two apprenticeships the first was a plumber ok
    So I'm looking for advice I changed the pump as I had the second boiler there which I know is working so I'm asking for help on the other possibilitys please bear in mind this is in my house down the country where I don't have access to a rgi and I've the kids the house is freezing so any help ??

If you post your location there are plenty of lads here that could help you.
    I personally can't tell a unreg person how to fix a boiler as I would be helping you break the law.

Guys your using the exact same as I use in the motor trade I'm a mechanic and I'd say that but I also done two apprenticeships the first was a plumber ok
    So I'm looking for advice I changed the pump as I had the second boiler there which I know is working so I'm asking for help on the other possibilitys please bear in mind this is in my house down the country where I don't have access to a rgi and I've the kids the house is freezing so any

Amazes me how people can say "it's my house, so it's ok" . Personally if I wasn't qualified or competent in a particular area , the last place I'd dip my toe in the water is my own house where I would be putting my own family at risk. But each to there own.

• Advertisement

Not to worry guys I figured it out fairly simple setup really

Not to worry guys I figured it out fairly simple setup really

Fair play , just to reiterate though . The lack of information given to last night has nothing to do with you or your level of competence , I'm sure your well skilled and good at what you do but giving out info on a public forum when is not advised as everybody will start thinking they can have a go , not realising the potential risks involved. Not to mention it is illegal to work On gas without relevant qualifications , regardless if your a qualified plumber or not . Glad you got it sorted in the end, but know your limits and don't take chances on something that could cost people their lives . Best of luck .

Not to worry as I said I did a pluming apprenticeship and am also a mechanic fully qualified turned out to be the board was a easy swap over considering I had the second boiler on the ground beside me.

And your correct never step out of your comfort zone.

Not to worry as I said I did a pluming apprenticeship and am also a mechanic fully qualified turned out to be the board was a easy swap over considering I had the second boiler on the ground beside me.

And your correct never step out of your comfort zone.

I didn't say never step out of your comfort zone , I said know your limits and don't take unnecessary risks with your own and your family's life's , completely different things ! Comfort is the enemy of achievement after all .
    And being a qualified mechanic has very little to do with it , unless they've started putting gas boilers into cars I don't see the relevance.

I didn't say never step out of your comfort zone , I said know your limits and don't take unnecessary risks with your own and your family's life's , completely different things ! Comfort is the enemy of achievement after all .
    And being a qualified mechanic has very little to do with it , unless they've started putting gas boilers into cars I don't see the relevance.

That's twice you completly ignored the fact the said I was a qualified plumber also isn't it. Not to worry I only asked for advice it is a DIY forum after all.
    There's no need to be getting uptight about something. I'm sure if u where into situation and stuck down the country with your kids in a cold cottage ud try sort it yourself wouldn't you

• Advertisement

Been a qualified plumber has nothing to do with fixing gas boilers.Did you do your gis/g1 during your apprenticeship.
    Repairing gas boilers is not a DIY job as if your not trained to do so.

That's twice you completly ignored the fact the said I was a qualified plumber also isn't it. Not to worry I only asked for advice it is a DIY forum after all.
    There's no need to be getting uptight about something. I'm sure if u where into situation and stuck down the country with your kids in a cold cottage ud try sort it yourself wouldn't you

I'm ignoring it because it's irrelevant . I was called to a breakdown where the customer had tried to fix it himself because he was an aircraft mechanic with the British army and travels the world fixing apache helicopters . Very impressive c.v , but completely of no use or relevance to the problem he was having with the boiler . After replacing the pcb he blew and putting the boiler back together it was an external programmer causing the fault. Simple fix when you know how , that's the difference between professionals and have a go'ers

Robbie.G wrote: »
    Been a qualified plumber has nothing to do with fixing gas boilers.Did you do your gis/g1 during your apprenticeship.
    Repairing gas boilers is not a DIY job as if your not trained to do so.

Touchy touchy guys. It's was a pcb circuit board I repair them every day in my job and worth a hell of a lot more then these it's all plug and play as any of you's RGI guys well know

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

I don't do gas as the lads over in p&h will know oil only on my cv

but this thread reminds me of a story I heard about a contract between a priest and a doctor

the doctor kept the priest from going to heaven and the priest kept the doctor from going to hell each to their own but safety has be numero uno

jimf wrote: »
    I don't do gas as the lads over in p&h will know oil only on my cv

but this thread reminds me of a story I heard about a contract between a priest and a doctor

the doctor kept the priest from going to heaven and the priest kept the doctor from going to hell each to their own but safety has be numero uno

Your dead right but u tell me what plumber was going to travel to pontoon in Mayo on a Sunday none??
    I had the knowledge and I used it. I will have a RGI SERVICE MY BOILER AND GIVE IT THE ONCE OVER

Touchy touchy guys. It's was a pcb circuit board I repair them every day in my job and worth a hell of a lot more then these it's all plug and play as any of you's RGI guys well know

"Plug and play" ....enough said . As a wiser man than me once told me , an idiot never knows their an idiot . Best of luck.

"Plug and play" ....enough said . As a wiser man than me once told me , an idiot never knows their an idiot . Best of luck.

Your telling me there not all plug in connections are you I can tell u they are and yes that is the reference giving to such a replacement part. U seem to be very sore on the subject considering I spend years studying pcbs I know what I'm on about

Your telling me there not all plug in connections are you I can tell u they are and yes that is the reference giving to such a replacement part. U seem to be very sore on the subject considering I spend years studying pcbs I know what I'm on about

Again the point is missed . I'm bored now , have to go and fix boilers . Legally .

Again the point is missed . I'm bored now , have to go and fix boilers . Legally .

Hope your not as rude to your customers

Hope your not as rude to your customers

I fail to see where I was rude exactly, I tried to explain the reasons for not going into detail on a public forum and you responded with nonsensical remarks about being a mechanic and a plumber while failing to aknowledge that regardless if you have the brains of Stephen hawking the fact is unless your are a registered as installer it is illegal to work on gas appliances in your own or anybody's house. Weather you work on pcbs day in day out it is of no relevance to the task at hand. I'm sure nuclear bombs have pcbs , so are you qualified to work on them? Just move on now , this thread has been exhausted . Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭dodzy

Jesus, this place sometimes would annoy the sh1t out of you. A wealth of information. Some very knowledgeable folks across the site. But this same old "don't touch it, you're not RGI, you're not RECI, call a qualified plumber, call a qualified this, call a qualified that. It really does wear thin after a while.

No offence Burke, but you're like a dog with a bone here. Anyway, well done on getting the unit up and running.

Egass, out of interest, if you were on site and had established that a replacment PCB was required, what steps following the board replacement would you have carried out ? Just curious really.

dodzy wrote: »
    Jesus, this place sometimes would annoy the sh1t out of you. A wealth of information. Some very knowledgeable folks across the site. But this same old "don't touch it, you're not RGI, you're not RECI, call a qualified plumber, call a qualified this, call a qualified that. It really does wear thin after a while.

No offence Burke, but you're like a dog with a bone here. Anyway, well done on getting the unit up and running.

Egass, out of interest, if you were on site and had established that a replacment PCB was required, what steps following the board replacement would you have carried out ? Just curious really.

My steps would involve servicing the boiler , carrying out relevant gas safety checks , electrical safety checks and a combustion check using a flue gas analyser . Then issuing the appropriate cert confirming that the appliance is safe to use .

My steps would involve servicing the boiler , carrying out relevant gas safety checks , electrical safety checks and a combustion check using a flue gas analyser . Then issuing the appropriate cert confirming that the appliance is safe to use .

Those steps you outlined above are steps that every RGI person would be expected to carry out during a routine service, are they not ?

Assuming that a boiler had a good bill of health from a recent service, and there was an issue of PCB failure shortly after, surely it would not require a full service again ?

Let me rephrase: do you think it conceiveable that a RGI agent would turn up, establish the board as faulty, swap out the unit with a new board, and once deemed functional, do no further work on the unit ?

Those steps you outlined above are steps that every RGI person would be expected to carry out during a routine service, are they not ?

Assuming that a boiler had a good bill of health from a recent service, and there was an issue of PCB failure shortly after, surely it would not require a full service again ?

Let me rephrase: do you think it conceiveable that a RGI agent would turn up, establish the board as faulty, swap out the unit with a new board, and once deemed functional, do no further work on the unit ?

I'm sure there are . The checks I carry out are part of how I work . Regardless if the boiler was serviced a few months previous , I have to certify it's safety after the repair . Servicing , aside from the bit of cleaning , is predominantly about safety IMO . If serviced 3 months previous it might well of been safe , but whose to say that didn't change during that time period. I don't take chances with safety I don't charge any extra unless specified beforehand but either way for my own sanity and due to the fact I understand the dangers associated with working on gas appliances I will carry out the job to a state that I'm comfortable to put my name on it.

I'm sure there are . The checks I carry out are part of how I work . Regardless if the boiler was serviced a few months previous , I have to certify it's safety after the repair . Servicing , aside from the bit of cleaning , is predominantly about safety IMO . If serviced 3 months previous it might well of been safe , but whose to say that didn't change during that time period. I don't take chances with safety I don't charge any extra unless specified beforehand but either way for my own sanity and due to the fact I understand the dangers associated with working on gas appliances I will carry out the job to a state that I'm comfortable to put my name on it.

Agree with everything you said above. Commendable service, and very reassuring.

That said, In some cases, a PCB swap out is not a hugely technical task and they are priced ridiculously, would you not agree?

Apart from the fact that you are not interfering with either the water, or more importantly, the gas circuits.

Agree with everything you said above. Commendable service, and very reassuring.

That said, In some cases, a PCB swap out is not a hugely technical task and they are priced ridiculously, would you not agree?

Apart from the fact that you are not interfering with either the water, or more importantly, the gas circuits.

I agree some parts are overpriced but that's down to manufacturer but I don't agree with your second point I'm afraid . A pcb is an integral part of an appliance , that if worked on without the correct training , can be deadly . Aswell as that new pcbs on new HE boilers need to be set up and adjusted to suit the model they are being fitted into . So it's not "plug and play" as was suggested earlier.

I agree some parts are overpriced but that's down to manufacturer but I don't agree with your second point I'm afraid . A pcb is an integral part of an appliance , that if worked on without the correct training , can be deadly . Aswell as that new pcbs on new HE boilers need to be set up and adjusted to suit the model they are being fitted into . So it's not "plug and play" as was suggested earlier.

Unfortunately, my trusty ( most likely highly inefficient at this stage ) Potterton Prima 50F is not in the same league as the new models you referred to. That said, once power is correctly isolated, PCB is handy to swap out / work on, as is the fan. Running here 20 yrs last October. 1 PCB repaired with 3 capacitor swap out (€1.50 for parts), 2 fans ( both 2nd hand - €40 each approx ), and still runnin' :D

Lets see how long one of the "new kids on the block" last ;)

Well considering it came from the exact same boiler identical in every way I fail to see what adjustment you make on the pcb do u want me to post a picture to prove there no adjustments and all only push on connections that only fit the correct corresponding part. In fact I'm sorry but with two boilers side by side a monkey would swap out the pcb

And as stated what's wrong with changing the pcb so long as no gas or water has being touched. Il tell u nothing at all only the fact that my heating is working.

I posted this on a DIY forum for advice not to be told contact this r that it's DIY for a reason.

But anyways you work away and service the boiler 2 months after it's being serviced.

Well considering it came from the exact same boiler identical in every way I fail to see what adjustment you make on the pcb do u want me to post a picture to prove there no adjustments and all only push on connections that only fit the correct corresponding part. In fact I'm sorry but with two boilers side by side a monkey would swap out the pcb

And as stated what's wrong with changing the pcb so long as no gas or water has being touched. Il tell u nothing at all only the fact that my heating is working.

I posted this on a DIY forum for advice not to be told contact this r that it's DIY for a reason.

But anyways you work away and service the boiler 2 months after it's being serviced.

I'm beginning to think you've a screw loose my friend. 2 months / 2 days / 2 hours. It's irrelevant . I don't work on the assumption the man before did what he was supposed to do . There's no cert that has a box that says "pcb is grand but I didn't bother checking anything else but sure jimmy did it two months ago" . The cert is me saying I'm leaving the boiler to standards set out by the regs I work by. I don't see why that is a problem for you to understand . It's not about your technical ability , you can be a great driver but without a license it's illegal for you to drive ! I really am struggling to dumb it down anymore for you mate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Would you let a vet take out your appendix

Advertisement