Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squats the Story MkII- Off topic thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭Ant11

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I'm gonna try some wall climbing. anyone here do or done this in dublin?

I'm regularly in Awesome Walls in Finglas, cool spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Ant11 wrote: »
    I'm regularly in Awesome Walls in Finglas, cool spot.

What's the cost like?

What's the cost like?

5 euro for lifetime membership and if you use pay as you go you get 2 euro off each time.

3 month unlimited pass is 135e (what I get)
    There's a 6 and 12 month pass too.

Pay as you go Bouldering which I mostly do is 7.50e or 9.50 if you don't get the membership.
    If your climbing with ropes it's 11 or 13 (I think, can't remember that price)

Climbing shoe rental is 3.50e a go so if your gona go regularly you're better off buying your own. I tried mine on in the shop, then bought them for half the price online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

do curls have a carry over for pullups or help increase numbers?I do sets of 8 and want to be able to do sets of 20 strict. Are towel pullups any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Remmy wrote: »
    do curls have a carry over for pullups or help increase numbers?I do sets of 8 and want to be able to do sets of 20 strict. Are towel pullups any good?

Increasing the amount of Pullups is a very good way of increasing the amount of pullups you can do.

Why sets of 20? Why not add weight as a means of progression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

JJayoo wrote: »
    Increasing the amount of Pullups is a very good way of increasing the amount of pullups you can do.

Why sets of 20? Why not add weight as a means of progression.

I already have movements for my back muscles that focus on strength(barbell rows) 20 cause I was always weak on them and If someone asks me how many I can do I want it to be a healthy number:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Ok I get ya. 20 dead hand pullups would be very impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

dor843088 wrote: »
    scoffed at or be the subject of smart remarks then this forum is more of a popularity contest than a place for information.

Don't be jel of my post thanks

ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Anyone know of an app you can get that beeps every second? Be handy for keeping tempo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Anyone know of an app you can get that beeps every second? Be handy for keeping tempo.

Some sort of metronome might do the trick? There's surely a plethora of them under the music category.

• Advertisement

Some sort of metronome might do the trick? There's surely a plethora of them under the music category.

Good call! Nice one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

and Im sure that beeping wont be annoying at all for other gym users. :)

connollys wrote: »
    and Im sure that beeping wont be annoying at all for other gym users. :)

Earphones...

He might use earphones?

There's a girl in the gym who uses a whistle sound one to switch between sets, you kind of blank it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I drown out the beeping and whistling of such apps with loud grunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I drown out the beeping and whistling of such apps with loud grunting.

I do it by dropping plates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I do it by dropping plates.

On your toes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Hanley wrote: »
    On your toes?

That was a bar :p

(That was good though, well done :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Earphones...

Ya know that never even dawned on me as I never wear them myself. My bad.

I use a gymboss for intervals that Ive clipped on my waist and its damn loud so Im sure I annoy the hell outta people.

connollys wrote: »
    Ya know that never even dawned on me as I never wear them myself. My bad.

I use a gymboss for intervals that Ive clipped on my waist and its damn loud so Im sure I annoy the hell outta people.

Set it to low beep and vibrate so.

• Advertisement

Any recommendations for glute isolation exercises, I will be doing glute bridges and hip thrusters but I want some single leg isolation moves.

Was thinking hip abduction stuff with resistance bands??

Strength/hypertrophy doesn't matter, muscle activation is all I want.

Any recommendations for glute isolation exercises, I will be doing glute bridges and hip thrusters but I want some single leg isolation moves.

Donkey kicks/hip extensions, clams, fire hydrants and bird dogs.

Those lateral shuffles with bands around the legs as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

Mini band walks forwards/backwards and left/right. Bands can go above and/or below the knees and/or around the midfoot area.

Lots of info out there on them.

Donkey kicks/hip extensions, clams, fire hydrants and bird dogs.

Those lateral shuffles with bands around the legs as well.

Are they not mostly warm up stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭cc87

The aim of a warm-up is get all the right muscles working at the right time = muscle activation

Where do you place muscle activation between warm ups and working the muscles?

cc87 wrote: »
    The aim of a warm-up is get all the right muscles working at the right time = muscle activation

True maybe I worded it wrong. I'm looking to isolate my glutes with some kind of external resistence to force my glutes to work hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Single leg glute bridges and raises? Put your foot up on a bench or step to vary the area targeted, I think elevation will work the hamstrings more.

Also, Nordics are great. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbmuE4clhg4

These are more of a hamstring exercise but the glutes will be worked as well, and IMO everyone should be doing them anyway as they're quality.

Clamshells are good for warming up and glute activation.

Band side-steps are good also for isolation of the glutes. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpvs40hLa6k

I've also found increasing my hip mobility through daily rolling (hammering the sh1te out of my hip flexors) and the couch stretch to really help with my glutes and hams.

You said you wanted activation things... they're all really good activation exercises!

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    You said you wanted activation things... they're all really good activation exercises!

Clarified above.

Clarified above.

Great, sorry for agreeing with em!

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Can taking a melatonin supplement mess with your bodies natural production of melatonin?

Ever since I left school I'v had irregular college/ work hours and so I've never developed a consistent sleeping pattern. I generally stay up until a least 2AM, wake up knackered and then just rely on caffeine and naps to get me through the next day.

I've tried many things like ZMA, herbal teas and other pills and while they seem to put me into a deeper sleep, I still tend to lie in bed wide awake for several hours even when I know I have to be up early in the morning. I also try to turn off my laptop/ phone well before bed time but this hasn't helped much.

I would rarely have more than 1 cup of coffee a day but I absolutely love it and find it helps my performance in the gym so I'm reluctant to give it up.

Melatonin is meant to get you to sleep faster but I'm wary of becoming dependent on it.

I'm in Australia by the way. Just bought some in a shop cos it was on offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dylbert

Leg DOMS, help me jebus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

CM24 wrote: »
    Can taking a melatonin supplement mess with your bodies natural production of melatonin?

Ever since I left school I'v had irregular college/ work hours and so I've never developed a consistent sleeping pattern. I generally stay up until a least 2AM, wake up knackered and then just rely on caffeine and naps to get me through the next day.

I've tried many things like ZMA, herbal teas and other pills and while they seem to put me into a deeper sleep, I still tend to lie in bed wide awake for several hours even when I know I have to be up early in the morning. I also try to turn off my laptop/ phone well before bed time but this hasn't helped much.

I would rarely have more than 1 cup of coffee a day but I absolutely love it and find it helps my performance in the gym so I'm reluctant to give it up.

Melatonin is meant to get you to sleep faster but I'm wary of becoming dependent on it.

I'm in Australia by the way. Just bought some in a shop cos it was on offer.
    have you tried reading before you go to sleep?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Haven't been getting much sleep lately and my body has been DOMS'd to bits. Got home from training yesterday morning and fell asleep at 1.30pm after eating and woke up at 7.30am this morning.

Recovery++

Dathai wrote: »
    Haven't been getting much sleep lately and my body has been DOMS'd to bits. Got home from training yesterday morning and fell asleep at 1.30pm after eating and woke up at 7.30am this morning.

Recovery++

This should be on the daily achievement thread! I'm jelly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Shouldn't really be an achievement considering I slept through everything I was supposed to get done yesterday :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Trying to teach myself to do a handstand. I can hoist myself upside down against a wall but I can only do that with my head against the wall first before I jump my feet up.

Making an effort to move my head away when I'm upside down and holding it for 30 or so seconds as I figure it's merely a lack of strength and maybe nerves. I can't seem to get my legs up with my head away from the wall which is really frustrating me as that's the next level to doing it without the wall. Suppose I'll just have to keep at it! I would love to be able to just do it without the wall. that's my goal obviously but I really wonder if I'll get there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Trying to teach myself to do a handstand. I can hoist myself upside down against a wall but I can only do that with my head against the wall first before I jump my feet up.

Making an effort to move my head away when I'm upside down and holding it for 30 or so seconds as I figure it's merely a lack of strength and maybe nerves. I can't seem to get my legs up with my head away from the wall which is really frustrating me as that's the next level to doing it without the wall. Suppose I'll just have to keep at it! I would love to be able to just do it without the wall. that's my goal obviously but I really wonder if I'll get there!

Have you tried setting up an Instagram account?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

kevpants wrote: »
    Have you tried setting up an Instagram account?
    I'd love to destroy instagram! Nothing sickens me more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I'd love to destroy instagram! Nothing sickens me more!

There's your problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Just wondering if anyone received their items from Adidas during the sale? Ordered some runners from them 8 days ago and when I checked the tracking number it says 'processing'. Kind of annoyed with them at this stage! Said on their website that delivery is between 4-7 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

TheSegal wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone received their items from Adidas during the sale? Ordered some runners from them 8 days ago and when I checked the tracking number it says 'processing'. Kind of annoyed with them at this stage! Said on their website that delivery is between 4-7 days
    Same :(
    Ordered a new pair of shoes last Friday still hasn't been dispatched...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭johnybean

I have ordered 3 pairs of runners from them in the past and they have always taken at least a week for the item to be shipped from Germany, after that they deliver fairly quickly in fairness to them. That was during normal times so I would assume that with their sale being on at the moment that they might be a bit slower than usual. Give it another couple of days and then give them a call, their customer service is second to none and their returns policy is very straightforward so I bit of a wait for deliveries is the trade off I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Trying going at it the other way, so your face is facing the wall. Sounded odd to me at first but it works. It was recommended by a gymnastics coach.

I found this good too

In looking for that I see there is a 43min interview with Coach Sommer here

On the right track with the above videos but be careful if your considering the wall runs. Coach S recommends having a 60's chest facing wall handstand fully elevated hold before you try the wall runs. Floor alignment drills are extremely important too and understand the pelvic tilt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are you trying to do freestanding in the middke of the room, or beside the wall with out head touching but feet touching.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

TheSegal wrote: »

Got my order yesterday. Would have had it last week if UPS hadn't made a balls of my address as per usual. I would advise checking the tracking option on the package to make sure they have the correct address in just to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There was a recent thread about people being refused entry to a gym as they forgot their membership card.

Just read this in the cycling forum that reminded me of it.
    A security guard stopped British cycling legend Sir Chris Hoy from entering the velodrome named in his honour because he did not have the right pass.
    The six-time Gold medallist, who is Team GB's most successful Olympian, was due to commentate on today's action at the Sir Chris Hoy Velodrome in Glasgow on the opening day of the Commonwealth Games.
    BBC Radio 5live reported how Sir Chris was asked for identification to enter his own velodrome - after the female guard did not recognise him.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2704127/His-names-door-Blundering-security-guard-stops-Sir-Chris-Hoy-entering-velodrome-named-didnt-right-pass.html#ixzz38ORuwRX5
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement