Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Analysis of Irelands Railways.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Victor wrote:
    P11 Comms, I think part of the problem is Platform11's / your, at times aggressive style, that riles people up.
    It's about time someone said this. While I disagree with the P11 position I respect their views and rights to argue their case. But what bothers me is the way it is put across on boards and elsewhere. I think "shrill" is the way I would describe it.

And some of the slogans/tactics are more reminiscent of religious organisations. I think one I saw recently said we should "Believe" in the Interconnector. An appeal to faith in what should be a technical argument?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

Originally Posted by Victor
    "P11 Comms, I think part of the problem is Platform11's / your, at times aggressive style, that riles people up."

That badly needed to be said but just when you think P11 might take the opportunity to brush up their public relations, they dig themselves in deeper. The issue is whether, based on the perceptions generated by their PR, one feels that P11 and its principals have the abilities to advance the cause of rail in Ireland. I’ve made up my mind on that question and it sound like others have too………..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭P11 Comms

sceptre wrote:
    You've got a long reply above that answers a question in a rational way - do that with most of the replies and you might find more people willing to give something to your cause. Snide comments may make people think that it's a waste of time engaging with you. Up to you I suppose.

Fair enough, I assumed that the original post about the railways was a wind up and the guy was having a laugh. That was my mistake. It was only later I realised that he was serious and was just ignorant of rail transport (ignorant is not the same as stupid). That was a mistake and I am sorry for making that assumption. This is why I gave the more eh "prosaic" response in the follow-up when I relaised he was sincere.

The problem is that people say things like "the Western Rail Corridor should be reopened" and they are just repeating what they heard from somebody else. They do not know that there is nothing to reopen as there never was a WRC as such, just a collection of ramshakled, rural lines some most of them built to dreadful engineering standards that today is just mile after mile of crumbling embankments, collasping bridges thorugh the land of one-off houses and would not do anything to help transport if it was opened.

I know, I live next door to the WRC and the number of level crossings on it would make any kind of reasonble passenger service, both highly expensive to operate, reduce train speeds and actually increase traffic congestion at the level crossings in the West of Ireland. None of these things will do the overall image of rail transport any favours - certainly not for a minumum cost of €300 million. That would keep the next several generation of anti-rail heads going strong and they would be 100% right for a change.

The reason for this is that too many people do not make the distinction between the tracks and the services. A rail line with one or two trains a day is not a rail service - it is running a train for the sake of it and this is simply madness unless you are trainpotters who likes travelling over from the UK to take photos of empty trains against nice scenery. This is what is going on the Limerick - Rosslare line.

By cutting back the service to Clonmel on that you reduce the train traveling distance and in turn increase the train frequency and you develop a "service" which people will want to use because it is useful. This is why Platform11 asked that services on that line be reduced and reconfigured to a certain geographical region with a decent population base - because it would SAVE the line. The Strategic Rail Review suggested the entire line be closed down - Platform11 produced a compromise which could be sold to polticians and it is working. This is not "a pathetic approach to rail transport" as the poster said - this is the only realistic apporoch in this car obsessed, anti-public transport nation for saving regional rail lines as the NRA tarmacs the land.

On the subject of snide comments, Platform11 got that from day one from a huge percentage of the trainspotter community. Even when we tried to get them on board they had nothing good to say about us. I am not sure why, but that's is how they were - absolutely vicious towards us at times. And why? Because have worked our asses off for no money because we saw an under utilised infrastructure sitting idle next to congested roads and all we ever wanted to do was highlight this and have that fully utilised if possible?

We have a right wing Government in Ireland (and a very right wing media) who does not want to spend money on public transport except for brouchures and glossly election pamphlets and I believed that if we could make it seem like they were gettting a bargin by upgrading an exsisting infrastrcture for a few hundred million, they might invest in some public transport rather than looking for ways to not spend several billion on Metros which would be put off forever. We are 15 years behind on Platform for Change becuase the government does not want to something more than pay for maps and graphics and consultants reports. How many times have were been told "Metro to be announced next week" in the last 5 years. The fact is that they do not want to spend any money on rail unless they are forced into doing so by disgruntled communters on packed trains. DASH, Manooth Line upgrade etc.

The station being built at Spencer Dock and the refurbishment of the Phoenix Park tunnel route is due a lot to P11 - I had top polticians tell me so to my face. This will make life easier for thousands of commuters in Kildare. The Government were so impressed with us that they asked us to make a formal submission to the Airport Metro feasability study. We did, and they were very positive towards our suggestion on integrating the Metro with a DART extention at Glansevin Junction. They trainspotters continued to claim we were "discredited".

Until we have a Government which moves towards a more socially enlighted model and who is more public transport friendly, then this compromise angle is the only game you can play in this country were there is little money for public transport, and even less for rail. Bertie said "no Metro" a few weeks back. Nothing to do with us. But he might say "yes" to an expanded DART. This is were Platform11 comes in. Instead of nothing - we get something.

We made a few mistakes along the way sure, nobody in the history of Ireland had ever tried anything like this until P11 came along and there was, and is a learning curve, but I do believe that we are essentially doing the right thing for our country and the people who live in it. That does not include having rail investment channelled away from Dublin where is vitally needed and into Mayo where it would be "nice to have" as some people believe we shoud be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭highdef

I've done the "Extend the Dart" vote and have already got back over a dozen responses from various prominent politians. Some of them are quite lengthy, some are obviously pre-made templates and some are quite short but appear to have been written on the spot. I have forwarded the Extend the Dart vote page to over a dozen other people so if they also vote and pass the vote page on also, the politians will getting rather peeved off, if they aren't already!

MG wrote:
    Originally Posted by Victor
    "P11 Comms, I think part of the problem is Platform11's / your, at times aggressive style, that riles people up."

That badly needed to be said but just when you think P11 might take the opportunity to brush up their public relations, they dig themselves in deeper. The issue is whether, based on the perceptions generated by their PR, one feels that P11 and its principals have the abilities to advance the cause of rail in Ireland. I’ve made up my mind on that question and it sound like others have too………..

What I find amazing about trainspotter is that they will have no problem slagging off Platform11, but they go nuts if you mentioned to them that the ILDA strike a few years back was the main reason that railfreight in this country collasped and was the primary reason that Kingscourt and Foynes branches closed. Oh no, BAD BAD P11, putting down their heroes.

The rail unions themselves, or an element within the rail unions fatally damaged a real sector of the railways in this country by a summer of strikes. NEVER, will the trainspotters point the finger at the IE empolyees who did this. But they have no issue with having a go a P11 and CIE management and Seamus Brennan.

The last time a rail line was closed in Ireland was beaucse of the CIE unions - not P11, not Seamus Brennan and not CIE managment. Somebody tell that to the trainspotters who have decided that P11 is their anti-christ. The Foynes and Kingscourt lines were closed directly by the actions of ILDA which also resulted n a situation were companies dependent on the railfreight had to lay off workers. So much for worker solidarity! If anybody at the time was to dare say that is was some rail workers doing this, the Trainspotters would go mental. How dare anybody say a bad word about blessed train drivers.

When was the last time you heard of a rail union going on strike to save a railway line or sevice in Ireland like their counterparts have done in Poland and Bulgaria. And yet I have been scremed at by trainpotters for stating this fact and as if the CIE Unions are not to be critised as they are great guys, even when some of them go on strike at the drop of hat.

That also needs to be badly said as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

P11 Comms wrote:
    What I find amazing about trainspotter is that they will have no problem slagging off Platform11, but they go nuts if you mentioned to them that the ILDA strike a few years back was the main reason that railfreight in this country collasped and was the primary reason that Kingscourt and Foynes branches closed. Oh no, BAD BAD P11, putting down their heroes.
    I'm not a trainspotter but I'm telling you that you have a PR problem with aggression and snideness that's losing you support among sane people. People who might be on your side or might even be prepared to make more of an effort than signing an unverifiable petition on the internet. I wasn't talking about your fetish for slagging off trainspotters but now that you mention it, it's hardly a good use of your internet time either and nothing to do with commuting, transport or the state of Ireland's railways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 823 ✭✭✭MG

“just when you think P11 might take the opportunity to brush up their public relations, they dig themselves in deeper.”

See above two P11 posts for classic examples – first a reasoned post which gives reason for hope, second an aggressive rant against the evil trainspotters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Crossley

So that's Trainspotters, Union members and Brits on the hate list. Any others?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

P11 are a complete and utter joke of a group.

I have no respect for them.

This is turning into a very interesting thread. But there is a sociological aspect to all this well which I feel is rather unique to how different people view rail trainport from differnt angles, not just here in Ireland.

On the concept of the evil trainspotter (I never said they were evil - Osama Bin Laden is evil) There is nothing wrong with people having a hobby at all. If it is spotting trains or collecting stamps.

However, I was told once that Irish Rail was “evil” because they were concentrating the investment in Dublin and not on the Western Rail Corridor by a trainspotter. This bloke was living in the UK and paying taxes over there and at the same token demanding that Irish taxpayers fund his holiday hobby. Eventually Platform11 were just as bad for agreeing with IE and the Strategic Rail Review that the Greater Dublin Region is were the demand for rail transport is for the next 10-15 years and this is were the money needs to be spent.

I was talking recently to another transport lobbyist and he stated that if Platform11 weren't around and somebody else managed to get a rail lobby group going it would still be disliked by the trainsportters. What they haven't grasped is that this P11 is a typical lobby group not some awful yoke dreamed up by horrid people that is doomed to failure.

What is strange and what we (P11) have finally managed to come to terms with is that no other transport or environmental issue contains trainspotter type folks. Think about it. Cycling campaigning doesn't have a problem with the people who do up messenger boy bikes. It doesn’t have bike spotters who don't want more cycle lanes in Dublin. What about the SIMI or Irish Road Hauliers Association. Do they suffer from car and truck spotters who don't want new roads and instead want the Boreens in Mayo to be the backbone of our national road network and forget the M50 because it is “PaleRoad” and anti-West of Ireland?

What disappointed us the most was that Platform11 as rail users coming to railways knowing little about working timetables distances between signals on the DART etc. was we got little or no help from those who knew it inside out. It doesn't matter now because we learnt it ourselves and we managed to pick up a few members who do seem to know a great deal of modern rail transport technology and we have the funds now to hire qualified professionals when we need them

I have to say that too many the trainsportters I have had the displeasure to deal with are truly some of the most bizarre individuals I have ever encountered. Many of them just lack basic behavioural and social skills and seem to possess an infantile in-built victim complex in that if somebody disagrees with them on a rail transport matter, they instantly brand that person a Nazi or a control freak or out to wreck railways. They also seem to be very negative mindset and constantly complain - but will never do anything to help things either.

Even when you are trying to explain to them that dealing with the serious overcrowding issues on the Dublin suburban network is more important than reopening rural branch lines in the West of Ireland which were closed in the 1950's. They don't "get it" - the rural branch line even if it carries no passengers is just as important to them (if not more so) as the busy suburban network which carries thousands.

They seem to also have no understanding of the economic factors which impact on rail transport systems and how much money this stuff costs to operate. You cannot explain to them the realities of public subvention and that politicians do not care about reopening rural railways with the same level of passion they do.

This is not the full story among trainsportters I have met, but this is not an unusual personality type either among that group of people. I think that railfans/railfans should stick with their hobby and not get involved in lobbying for rail transport issues/projects as they generally the efforts do no good.

They have a tendency to view rail systems as just track, stations, rolling stock and seem utterly divorced from the passengers who may want or not want to use a particular rail service. Too many of them think that the rural branch line is the ultimate expression of a rail transport network and this overrides real needs to develop rail transport systems that serve the most good.

There is nothing wrong with liking trains at all, but some seem to get out and see the real world now and again and stop blaming the wrong people for realities that we all have to live with.

• Advertisement

I think it's fantastic that P11 speak out in the way they do instead of acting like politians always pretending to be our friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

What is wrong with some of the people on this thread? how can you label P11 as "pathetic", "snide" and a "joke of an organisation". The government obviously doesn't think they are a joke. Are you all so wrapped up in cotton wool and used to polite political language and spin that you are incapable of recognising everyday speak? P11 are not a PR firm, they don't use political spin, they don't bull****, they tell things how it is even if it means some people are offended. P11 Comms has talked more sense in this thread than the rest of us put together.

aliveandkicking. I couln't agree more. Indeed, a lot of people on this thread to think that the people with P11 are politian types but they're not. THey are just like you and me. The average Joe. So P11, bring it on.

Thanks NTL (and everybody else) - and for signing the petition. Might not work, but you have try.

As long as the rail transport pot is boiling and this stuff is "out there" and in the people's faces, we can avoid a future where another Jim Mitchell announces "no further investment in the railways" .

www.platform11.org

www.extendthedart.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

I think it's fantastic that P11 speak out in the way they do instead of acting like politians always pretending to be our friends.

That is not the issue. By all means be upfront, in-your-face and insulting - but confine it to the people you trying to impact upon, not individuals whose opinion you disagree with.

Michael O'Leary gets great coverage from straight talking and insulting politicians, but he is always careful to ensure that the people he targets are the people who can take the decisions he wants. You won't find him attacking, for example, housholders near the Airport, or at Baldonnell even though they may vociferously object to his ideas for their own reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

What is wrong with some of the people on this thread? how can you label P11 as "pathetic", "snide" and a "joke of an organisation".
    I only went for the middle one. And I didn't label P11 anything if you'll check back - I commented purely on the PR on the basis of what I can see here. Might go as far to say that the PRO appears to be snide when not dealing with those who like to be bowed to but that's as far as I went above. Never said anything more.

"That is not the issue. By all means be upfront, in-your-face and insulting - but confine it to the people you trying to impact upon, not individuals whose opinion you disagree with."

I never got personal with anybody. There is no person called Mr Trainspotter. As for the lad that started this thread, I sincerly thought he was having a laugh, but I did not mean to slag him off for that at all, I complimented him for making me laugh. Ali-G is a comic genius. When I realised the man was serious I said I was sorry and gave him a proper answer. That was my mistake, not an attack on a person for having a different opinion.

As for what trainspotters think of Platform11, that not a issue to us. They were nowhere to be seen in the past when the Government shut down railway lines. Did they protest? Nah, they just saw it as an oppertunity to take photos on a farewell railfan trip. Then a group finally comes along who is determined to save rail and what do these people do, they either ignore, belittle, downplay our sucesses, or openly attack us. As yet, not one of the leading lights of the Irish trainspotter movement and many other I know by name have signed the petition to extend the Dart. But they have all the time in the world to criticise P11. Can anybody explain that one to me?

Right now, I am more upset by the the passing of Johnny Ramone. If he slagged off P11 on his deathbed I would be truly devastated.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Victor's got a point to be honest. Your aim is worthy of being taken seriously but as the representatives of an organisation that seeks to be taken seriously you could do better than to slag people off for what seems the sake of it. You've got a long reply above that answers a question in a rational way - do that with most of the replies and you might find more people willing to give something to your cause. Snide comments may make people think that it's a waste of time engaging with you. Up to you I suppose.

Indeed. I can't take P11 seriously, as they seem to go about (certainly on boards) with an attitude highly unsuited to what is supposed to be a professional pressure group. Certainly if P11 Comms is supposed to be representative of their PR, they need to re-think their strategy.

The problem is, good points often get buried under the mounds of bile and ridiculous behavior. Lose that, and you might get taken a bit more seriously.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

P11 Comms wrote:
    That's not a picture of a trainspotter at all. Where is the smug, self-satisfied halfwit grin than only 40 plus years of your mammy making your dinner can produce? Where is the cradle-to-grave semi-state job that his father got for him as he would never be capable of dressing up for an interview? Where is the anorak with the strings hanging off the sleeves and the 3 week old baked beans dried onto the front? The dead uncle's trousers from 1974? Where is the attention-seeking limp coupled with the hair pushed over to one side instead of being washed while smugly announcing that Seamus Brennan is evil becuase he did not save the Class 140 locomotives from being scrapped? The obsessive compulsive disorder to jot down the most pointless details regarding the dates of when a wheel was replaced on a timber wagon while declaring that "Platform11 are discredited!"?

That guy looks like he at least has half a chance of getting a woman. His fly is even zipped up for God sake!

Alright, so maybe they are not all like that. But the ones who are the most anti-P11 nearly always are and they were from day one even when we tried to reach out to them.

The normal ones (people interested in railways, rather than trainspotters) tend to support us as they realise that the purpose of a rail lobby is not to save the steam train turntable at Galway, keep the 171 Locomotive class going or writing love letters to trains drivers on the Internet. These lads are grand, the rest deserve all the contempt which the greater society has for them because you cannot get away from evolution and natural selection no matter how hard you try.

Thanks for signing the petiton thoes who have and for the rest of you could please do so if you have not already: www.extendthedart.com

sorry about the spam - I'll get the webmaster to check that out.

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the trainspotter image I think it is wrong to so vicously attack a group of people whilst posting under the identity of a PR person for a lobbying organisation. Generalised attacks on groupings who disagree with you but yet form no great obstruction to your work is at best a diversion of your energy and resources.

Of course some people would say everyone who uses boards is a nerd with social communciation problems who can only draft witty and cutting responses using the keyboard but cannot vocalise anything other than grunts or "I want a 14" Cajun-special-extra-mozarella".

But one question remains - every discussion on railways seems to degenerate into a fight between P11 types who have their vision of how railways should be run and the otehr types whose vision is different and who are labelled wreckers (oops... sorry thats what the Commies used say . .,. I meant evil vicious trainspotters). Perhaps everybody who posts to these debates should display their picture and if you have an anorak or lank hair your opinion will automatically be discounted :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Genghis

OK, you've convinced me! Give me a link to a petition, and by-God, I'll help you wipe out those trainspotters! Ireland's railways will never be free until their curse is removed! Our Government will never hear us until we drown out the sound of their protest!

• Advertisement

"Indeed. I can't take P11 seriously, as they seem to go about (certainly on boards) with an attitude highly unsuited to what is supposed to be a professional pressure group."

Really, Tell that to these guys:

"Platform11’s proposals for a transfer station at Glasnevin Junction accommodating an underground Metro station are very interesting and clearly merit evaluation." - Oireachtas Joint Committee on Transport

Now if you want see the alternative to us then look no further than this reasoned and logical approach to rail lobbying:

http://www.westontrack.com/news60.htm

Word of advice though, before you sign up and follow the trainspotters in fantasy railway oblivion, the Western Rail Corridor is dead in the water and is never going to be built to connect Sligo to Limerick for at least 25 years if ever, because there is no viable nor feasable reason for it. Platform11 told the Government so, and the Government agreed becuase they knew we were right and got the DoT to hurry up the reopening of the stragecically planned Midelton line in Cork instead. You can think whatever you like about us, the people who matter already made their mind up.

We just tell it like it is becuase they alternative "cream tea and cumpets" approach while pontificating about the merits Irish railways in a British Public School accent does not work and more than some professional West of Ireland Whinger screaming "sure they Jackeens have everything and we have nothing in the West!" while swinging rosary beads over your head.

Sorry, Platform11 don't play that.

Platform11 is the Irish rail lobby made up of regular Irish people who just want to be able to get a train to work and home joining us day by day, getting bigger, more powerful and influential and we have freinds in high places and corporate backers who think we are the dog's bollox* becuase they know not trying to pull the wool over anybodys eyes in order to get the tax payers to fund our hobby or line our pockets. Get used to it.

Perhaps not being a cute-hoor on the make is so un-natural to Irish people at this stage of our history, that when an honest and well meaning group like Platform11 comes along nobody can see it for what it is - a public advocacy group with no commerical or poltical hidden agenda. Ray Burke always had a smile on his face and polite language during his dealing I have been told...

Anybody can be nice - getting results is what matters. That's getting people to work and back on a properly integrated rail network and nothing else.

* "oh, he used naughty language like an unprofessional common person!" (just thought I save some of you the effort of posting this follow-up comment by doing it myself)

Genghis wrote:
    OK, you've convinced me! Give me a link to a petition, and by-God, I'll help you wipe out those trainspotters! Ireland's railways will never be free until their curse is removed! Our Government will never hear us until we drown out the sound of their protest!

Good man! You'll be rewarded with 72 virgins in the afterlife for this.

www.extendthedart.com

The trainspotters only get 72 Virgin Trains in the next life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

would be great if somebody with lots of time on hand could prune this "battle for the hearts and minds of the rail supporters of ireland" thread of the rhetoric and twaddle and reveal the interesting points, if there are any.

p11, what the others said. the valid point in your arguments are countered by your hostility, intolerance and arrogance. i am a rail user. i support sensible investment in the rail service. i support many of p.11's ideas. i'm finding it increasingly difficult to support p.11 though.

De Rebel wrote:
    p11, what the others said. the valid point in your arguments are countered by your hostility, intolerance and arrogance. i am a rail user. i support sensible investment in the rail service. i support many of p.11's ideas. i'm finding it increasingly difficult to support p.11 though.

You are perfectly entitled to feel this way. But just for a second think about what that really means.

a) Patronising people by being superficially nice to back up hollow platitudes and empty promises = credibility

b) Having a valid argument, producing real results while being arrogant and brash = discreditied?

Polticians and their "professional" (there's that word again) PR firms are everybody's friend and have a smile on their faces while they are pushing the knife in people's back or talking trash. I think more and more Irish people are finding it increasingly difficult to support that? Platform11 is what you see is what you get. No fake smile, we are real human beings who drink pints, shag women and despise Joe Duffy like every Irish patriot should - What the hell is wrong with that!

People are sick and tired of being fobbed off with bull**** from pious "holy than thou" polticians in the form of "immiment metro announcement" and endless consultants reports for the last five years delivered by some faceless civil service spook or hired PR spokesperson in a professinonal and polite mannner. That's far from credibile in my books and I think more and more people are sick of being treated like morons by the Government when it comes to this kind of carry on.

Platform for Change was a transport plan delivered by the government in a flashy and professional PR event - no doubt the P11 knockers would have approved of the professional suits and their smug grins talkin complete and absolute rubbish. Guess what - Platform for Change remains a fairytale and Dublin is still gridlocked years later - you could have went to the movies and watched Lord of the Rings instead and it would have been a more realistic storyline. So much for the professionalism delivering results. A glossy professional brochure and a gentele speech and NOTHING ELSE ain't going to your backside or anybody elses on a train or metro.

Sorry, I would rather have some arrogant, hostile, nasty little fellow like Michael O'Leary deliver me something I can used and save me the hallow platitidues and professional veneer from the polticians.

This is how our organisation is. We do not insult people's inteligence by pretending that nobody pisses us off - lot of people piss us off. Look at poor An Tasice and the crap they have to deal with - where has being nice got them? They are treated like dirt and potryed as headcases and facists and for what? Why should Platform11 play a game only to get the same crap?

On the subject of you no longer supporting Platform11 - can I ask you if you are a member, contrubuted in some way or like P11 people are doing at the moment standing in rain outside rail stations handing out flyers on the Interconnector? If so, I am sorry you feel that way. I will gladly return your subsciption fees if this is the case.

A nasty little man like Micheal O'Leary can get me to London and back for pocket change - a professional consultation study and polite press release from the Government on the second terminal at Dublin Airport has delivered all of us - nowhere.

No excuse me I have to go play my Ramnoes cds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

P11 Comms, I've looked at your site, http://www.platform11.org/ and I'm frankly disturbed by the rational "joined up" thinking there. A coherent rail strategy for the GDA? I'm sorry but that's not how we do things in this country. What about the backhanders? How do FF's property developer mates profit from this?

"P11 Comms, I've looked at your site, http://www.platform11.org/ and I'm frankly disturbed by the rational "joined up" thinking there. A coherent rail strategy for the GDA? I'm sorry but that's not how we do things in this country. What about the backhanders? How do FF's property developer mates profit from this?"

You know what is really scary is that is not our plan, that is CIE's believe or not. CIE/IE management deserve all the credit for ignoring the lunacy of developing our national rail network based on rural branch lines and instead got on with rational thought and then developed a brilliant plan to do the most good when it was really needed to people who badly need an alternative to road commuting.

People in Skerries, Newbridge and Navan along with around some parts of Cork, Limerick, Galway badly need commuter trains - people in Knock, Ballygulin and Wellington Bridge do not. I have been told that the Virgin Mary floats though the air on a cloud so Knock is non starter for train service as well.

To be fair things are moving SLOWLY in the right direction. The Tainiste Office last week requested that Platform11 contribute to what will be in essence, a comsumer watchdog group for public serivices including rail transport delivery and operational standards. When was the last time rail passengers were even considered by the government for their input?

Bit by bit public transport development is being dragged screaming and kicking into the hands of the people who will really use it/need it and like our Extend the Dart campaign, give the user more of a say and not leave it all down to politicians looking for re-election or consultants trying to squeeze their snouts into the trough while nothing gets done except flashy reports and nice maps.

The corner is being turned, but VERY slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

P11 Comms wrote:
    The problem is that people say things like "the Western Rail Corridor should be reopened" and they are just repeating what they heard from somebody else. They do not know that there is nothing to reopen as there never was a WRC as such, just a collection of ramshakled, rural lines some most of them built to dreadful engineering standards that today is just mile after mile of crumbling embankments, collasping bridges thorugh the land of one-off houses and would not do anything to help transport if it was opened.
    What irritates me about this rhetoric is its dismissiveness. Whether or not the Western Rail Corridor should be re-opened, it is certainly reasonable to support the idea that a Western Rail Corridor should be opened. A ring connecting Sligo to Limerick would allow people greater access to, for instance, Shannon Airport as well as Knock (by feeder bus if not direct rail to the airports). It would allow tourists and residents to circle the island; it would allow sensible journey planning for anyone wanting to get anywhere. That everyone on the Sligo line has to go to Dublin to get to any of the other lines is shameful. That's not infrastructure. It's not planning. It's an accident of history and it should be corrected.

Platform 11 has some very good ideas about Dublin rail – but there's life outside the Commuter Pale yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Yoda wrote:
    What irritates me about this rhetoric is its dismissiveness. Whether or not the Western Rail Corridor should be re-opened, it is certainly reasonable to support the idea that a Western Rail Corridor should be opened. A ring connecting Sligo to Limerick would allow people greater access to, for instance, Shannon Airport as well as Knock (by feeder bus if not direct rail to the airports). It would allow tourists and residents to circle the island; it would allow sensible journey planning for anyone wanting to get anywhere. That everyone on the Sligo line has to go to Dublin to get to any of the other lines is shameful. That's not infrastructure. It's not planning. It's an accident of history and it should be corrected.

It is not an accident that most of the rural rail lines closed, they were economic disasters. Most of the WRC would be very lightly used if re-opened.

Yoda wrote:

Parts of the WRC most certianly have potential, Ennis-Athenry as it would create a very nifty Galway-Ennis-Limerick commuter corridor and a potential customer base of hundreds of thousands. Absolutely that would work and is one of the shotest section to put back in service. The problem is the current efforts to reopen the WRC is that this section has be reduced to the level of an afterthough by West on Track. Here is a scan of page 12 of the reopening proposal is you do not believe me and also note how many time Knock Airport is mentioned in the list:

http://www.platform11.org/wrc_phases.jpg

Either this is blantant idiocy, trainspotter fantasy or some other local political/tacky religious souviners agenda at work here which has nothing to do with meaningful rail transport development in the West of Ireland. Or the forth option, that Platform11 are the real idiots and little rural railways realyl are the most important elements of our rail transport network.

But seriously, how could any "expert" study of the route reduce the most viable and important section to bottom of the agenda after the most underpopulated section is up and running! When Platform11 puled out of supporting this current effort to reopen the WRC we were totally validated and won a whole new group of supporters - it was the making of us an an organisation actually, and the fact that Brennan issued a press release as soon as the local election were over (within minutes actually) on how the WRC would have to prove itself, which was very similar to the P11 one, coupled with the fact that polticians have gone very cold to the idea proves that we were not only correct to do this - but we have made certain that if any part of the WRC is opened it'll be the southern section first. We are not going to say sorry for that to anybody. The catholic preist from WoT who called us sabateurs in the Mayo News correct. We sabotaged a bad idea which would have crucified the taxpayers of this country and done more to damage the image rail transport in Ireland by presenting an example to all the professional rail bashers as to why rail transport is a waste of money. If that makes Platform11 "discredited", "pathetic", Anti-West of Ireland" or "a joke of an organisation" to some people, then so be it.

The other bonus of reopening the Ennis-Athenry section of the WRC is that it would be easiest in terms of engineering and operations as it was built to a high standard and does not encounter the huge numbers of level crossing the section north of Tuam does (that section was built as a rural tramway) which would make a modern passenger service impossible and would create road traffic jams and not solve them.

Forget the section north of Athenry and spend money by making a real differnece by upgrading Galway Station and creating a commuter service around Galway/Oranmore instead which people will actually have a reason to use rather than "a nice wee day out on the train" now and again. We cannot view our rail network in this way anymore as this thinking of runing a train for the sake of it will not grow rail tranport.
    Yoda wrote:
    Platform 11 has some very good ideas about Dublin rail – but there's life outside the Commuter Pale yet.

We are a national oraganisation who wants good and meaningful rail services nationwide which people will use and not running an oul train or metro for the sake of it. If you read the following articles from our website you will find that you are incorrect in your asseration:

http://www.platform11.org/pr_029.html
    http://www.platform11.org/gal_ennis_lim.html
    http://www.platform11.org/west_direct.html
    http://www.platform11.org/limerick_link.html
    http://www.platform11.org/clon_dub_direct.html

Just because the Interconector is our main gig right now does not mean it is the only one. We have to go were the greatest demand is and this is just common sense - plus there are huge numbers of commuters in the GDR who are desparate for trains and want to use them, the grannies going to fill up their holy water bottles a few times a year on free travel passes will have to wait, let them use the bus like the do now.

We also challenged the WRC people to a honest and open public debate on how best to develop rail tranport in the West of Ireland (P11 believe that we have to increase the frequency on the exsisting lines in the West before we can begin to even think about reopening rural rail lines for commuter services). They never got back to us.

The WRC from Sligo to Limerick is never going to happen because there is no reason why it should. Sorry, but that's just the truth - but there is a real case for Ennis-Atherny and we would support this wholeheartly.

Regional development and social engineering is not Platform11 concern - we only do trains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Personally the only way I would support the western rail corridor is if it was part of a greater "Western Development Corridor". I would bin the current decentralisation plan, and the joke National Spatial Strategy (the one that balances national development outside of Dublin by making every town in the country a national hub).

Instead designate the line from Cork, to Limerick, to Galway, to Sligo, to Derry (yes there is life north of the border) as the counter weight for development to Dublin and Belfast. Then build the motorways and rail links to connect these cities. Upgrade ports, airports and telecoms, move sections the civil service to these areas. You can't give everyone a national hub next door but most of the population outside of Dublin would then within an hour or two of this western axis.

This would make a north-south rail line in the west something more than a political sop and outrageous white elephant. It would be a key part of a major regional development plan. But any sort of imaginative leap forward like this is not on the cards, mores the pity.

Advertisement