Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I'm getting sick of Android and considering iPhone!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

racer1 wrote: »
    This is like a Liverpool supporter going into a United forum and saying Liverpool are better than United. Your going to get the ..... thrown back at you.

I'm actually surprised how gentle and patient people are tbh... this was pointless but valuable discussion until Mr floggg came back with another esey...who from what I can see take this iPhonevsandroid issue very personally and emotionally.
    Just take it easy man and don't scream to whole world.
    Also, I'm wondering if you got answer for your question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I'm feeling the same way myself, but I'm still undecided.

Been using android for over 18 months now.
    The market place still lags behind.
    The big difference now from 18 months ago is alot of apps run too slow to be usable on my creaky old Hero and now you've to be wary of malware apps in the offical market.

I've been waiting for the Galaxy S2, but now that it's almost here I've been thinking about waiting until the end of the year to see what the iphone 5 has to offer or even what the wp7 update brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

iwo wrote: »
    You obviously have problems with understandin / analysing while reading.
    Also I said " some clowns..." not "all" so quote me properly and don't change it to suit your point. This is android forum and im here for reason - surprise, surprise I'm Android user! Yes, I am.... you just came and started yapping and moaning about nothing and everything, like 5 years old kid.
    I gave facts and real figures which are good arguments.

I wasn't quoting you directly. I was referring to all of the people you called clowns, not all of the iPhone owners.

Pray tell, what have I misunderstood in your posts? If I failed to grasp anything you have posted, I will gladly apologise. I thought i got the general gist of android good, iphone bad failry clearly though.

PS - I must have missed those figures you quoted. Similarly the facts.

Wait i see it - "Android just hammers other systems and I don't care why, this is just a fact".

Sorry, I misconstrued that as an opinion at first.

I posted what I thought were well reasoned and specific complaints about android. I wasn't yapping, I was stating an opinion (you know, those things were all meant to be allowed to have).

I could equally do a post on why i think android is great. or why iOS is limited and overly simplified. I wanted to get peoples feedback on those actual issues. I have acknowledged that they both have limitations. I haven't tried to present subjective opinions as gospel, or to name call users of other phones (they are phones after all). The only thing i took issue with is people calling me a technotard because i dared to say i like what itunes has to offer, or people calling people sheep just for picking a phone.

Very few people have actually provided any sort of a constructive response to my grievances (other than the rooting, which again, I accept was my problem, and it wasn't really what i had issue with). I would welcome some to be honest. I'm still not really sure if i am keeping the iphone, and would be nice to hear some constructive criticism of it.

By the way, I am/was an android user myself, so i have as much right to post or comment on the system as you.

I'm actually surprised how gentle and patient people are tbh... this was pointless but valuable discussion until Mr floggg came back with another esey...who from what I can see take this iPhonevsandroid issue very personally and emotionally.
    Just take it easy man and don't scream to whole world.
    Also, I'm wondering if you got answer for your question?

What? I don't take this personally at all. Its a phone. Its even less important than an English soccer team. I really couldn't care less at the end of the day.

Some people do just get apple because of reputation, yes. But thats because of a reputation of quality. most people dont know or care about phones all that much, so they go with what they have heard to be high end and good quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

floggg wrote: »

Some people do just get apple because of reputation, yes. But thats because of a reputation of quality. most people dont know or care about phones all that much, so they go with what they have heard to be high end and good quality.

See, thats the thing. What starts out being a high end good quality product usually ends up being a mid end average product by the 5th iteration, other products available on the market bypass them with more modern tech and better features. This is what Apple do.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I don't see why people are saying Apple has fallen behind. Look at the iPhone 4, it's coming up to a year old. I don't think it's a fair comparison to compare it with the dual-core phones, etc - which are only now coming to market. the handsets of the time were HTC Desire and SGS. iPhone4 is very similar spec-wise. Apple assume that most customers will not buy-out of their contracts early. Internationally 2 years is the minimum term. 3 years in Canada, even! So comparing the 3G -> iPhone4 is what most iPhone users will be doing.

I think Android will always have "better" specs, because different manufacturers will have different priorities and different release cycles. LG are pushing 3D in a big way, HTC pushing their Software UI and Samsung Screens & Processors. The competition is inevitable.

• Advertisement

bd250110 wrote: »
    I don't see why people are saying Apple has fallen behind. Look at the iPhone 4, it's coming up to a year old. I don't think it's a fair comparison to compare it with the dual-core phones, etc - which are only now coming to market. the handsets of the time were HTC Desire and SGS. iPhone4 is very similar spec-wise. Apple assume that most customers will not buy-out of their contracts early. Internationally 2 years is the minimum term. 3 years in Canada, even! So comparing the 3G -> iPhone4 is what most iPhone users will be doing.

I think Android will always have "better" specs, because different manufacturers will have different priorities and different release cycles. LG are pushing 3D in a big way, HTC pushing their Software UI and Samsung Screens & Processors. The competition is inevitable.

We're not, the iphone 5 is only getting a 1.0Ghz dual core A5 chip and not out till later in the year when the Galaxy S 2 and Htc Sensation are getting 1.2Ghz dual core and out in a few weeks. Other phones are passing Apple by as usual

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    See, thats the thing. What starts out being a high end good quality product usually ends up being a mid end average product by the 5th iteration, other products available on the market bypass them with more modern tech and better features. This is what Apple do.

I agree that the apple devices are not the most high end spec wise. I won't comment on macs as I have no knowledge of them.

I imagine to a certain extent they do hold back on certain features so they can add them in a year to sell more phones. But I don't think that's the sole reason .

For one, I'm sure there is a cost element - it keeps the phone somewhat reasonable (though I know apples margins are more than healthy).

Secondly, i imagine they do not include something until they know it works well (excepting antennas of course). If you contrast it to the Xoom which shipped without SD or flash support. Similarly the play book which has patchy software and lacks certain key features out of the box.

I appreciate that some people prefer to put up with bugs and software upgrades if it means ultimately having more flexibility. Others prefer things to just work out of the box. It's a choice and to each their own.

Whether intended by apple or not, the major upside to their incremental upgrades is that a year old device isn't left behind with software updates or apps compatibility. I know buying an iPhone 4 that I can still do most of what the iPhone 5 or six can do. It's a comfort buying an expensiv piece of kit. With android however, sometimes your only choice in terms of getting updates is rooting and XDA.

Also, it's not liike other companies don't put out outdated tech in supposedly flagship phones. Take htc for example . The desire s will sell a lot of phones, including to people who both the original. But it's nearly the same phone in a new case. Samsung as still releasing new galaxy s variants including the flagship android phone, the nexus s, when dual core was already here.

And at least apple only release iPhones once a year. The desire hd was released before Xmas and already it's being upgrade with the htc sensation after just over 6 months. At least apple wait the duration of a contract. I would be mighty sick if I got sensation only to see a newer one out at Xmas!

For the record, I don't really have an issue with any of them doing that. I think you need to buy the phone on it's Current features only and take anything after that as a bonus. The phone manufacturers are there to make money, and as long as people buy it, they will churn them out. I think it's more an issuer for the consumer than th company. If you insist on having the newest be prepared to pay a premium .

Also, it's not liike other companies don't put out outdated tech in supposedly flagship phones. Take htc for example . The desire s will sell a lot of phones, including to people who both the original. But it's nearly the same phone in a new case. Samsung as still releasing new galaxy s variants including the flagship android phone, the nexus s, when dual core was already here.

Other manufacturers like Htc and Samsung offer many choices all the way from low end to high. The Desire S isn't Htc's flagship either, nor is it aimed that way, its just another choice. Their new flagship is the Sensation which is getting a dual core. Samsung don't sell the Nexus S, its made to order for Google and their new flagship, the Galaxy S 2 is getting a dual core. Apple make one device, no choice, it should be a high end device to be on par with the Sensation or Galaxy S but they're choosing to opt for a cpu 20% slower than their competitors for the iphone 5 knowing people will buy it anyway. This is iteration 5, where they have the market

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Apple sell well put together safe products that work and are nicely designed but are not cutting edge or anything special and sell them using well funded snazzy advertising, they have created a huge brand that sells mainly on its image.

Its a fashion and social statement to say you own an iPhone and there's no denying that. Apple know this and know how to milk it. They can easily sell what is technically an inferior product for more than its technically superior competitors because of it.

We just bought a MacBook Pro (To do iPhone dev on) and it cost €1200, for a PC with higher specs on it the cost would have been €600 - €700.

It's almost identical to the Volkwagon thing in the car industry, Volkswagon cars cost more than their competitors because people believe they have a reliability image but if you look at the stat's it doesn't hold water.

Thats not saying that Android doesn't have its problems, it obviously does but its a year behind IOS all the time and when you take that into account you cant help but be impressed with where its gotten to.

I'm surrounded by iPhones and Android devices here in work and the top Android devices are always the ones I bring home to use, why? Because they are just that bit more flexible, that bit more innovative and just much more of a joy to use and play with than the iPhones, the iPhone 3GS is a terrible terrible device by the way I cant believe people actually still use it! The iPhone 4 however is extremely nice and I can see why people who dont really have an interest in the mobile world and its progression but just want a competent complete phone choose to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

draffodx wrote: »
    I'm surrounded by iPhones and Android devices here in work and the top Android devices are always the ones I bring home to use, why?

I'm surrounded by the same devices here as well and it's fairly easy to see why the Android market has problems and why developers shy away from releasing for it. The range of devices are so broad and varied and it leaves you with the problem - do I aim to support all devices or do I aim for a better app that can take advantage of the more powerful handsets? The cheaper less powerful handsets are selling well so you can not just ignore them. Most of the bad reviews I've seen for our app come from users on less powerful devices. It's not easy, whereas with the iphone you don't have this problem.

As for the OS's, they are both great OS's and it is down to personal taste and how you use your phone. I don't get all this arguing over one is better than the other. Right now I use an iPhone and I am happy using it. I used to be big into customising my phone and owned winmo phones before the ios and android appeared and I have had handsets with both of these as well. But right now I just want to take my phone out and use it, previously I was spending more time configuring, messing around with the OS and always looking for the next thing to modify on my phone, than actually using the phone. If you are into configing and modding then Android wins easily whereas if you just want to pick up and use it then ios is a better choice.

The one thing that annoys me about Android is the UI, maybe this will get sorted out from honeycomb onwards. Having to wait for the manufacturer to update their UI so that you can get the latest version of the OS is just wrong. You should be able to download it independently and switch off the UI. Hope that gets taken care of.

• Advertisement

Other manufacturers like Htc and Samsung offer many choices all the way from low end to high. The Desire S isn't Htc's flagship either, nor is it aimed that way, its just another choice. Their new flagship is the Sensation which is getting a dual core. Samsung don't sell the Nexus S, its made to order for Google and their new flagship, the Galaxy S 2 is getting a dual core. Apple make one device, no choice, it should be a high end device to be on par with the Sensation or Galaxy S but they're choosing to opt for a cpu 20% slower than their competitors for the iphone 5 knowing people will buy it anyway. This is iteration 5, where they have the market

Again, each to their own. There are plenty of phones out there, and people can choose which they want. If apple feel their best business model is to put out one model a year only, then thats up to them. That said, the have nearly a third or a quarter of the smart phone market with that one model, so they ain't doing too bad.

To be honest though, their business model isn't too dissimilar from HTC's at the minute. HTC have been slow to the dual core party because they prefer to work on UI tweaks and Sense over hardware. E.g. they are foregoing honeycomb on the Flyer in favour of a really well implemented sense tablet experience. The feel their added value and brand differentiation is in software, not hardware, much like apple.

And i will say, the htc software is generally very well implemented. people who like speed, customisation etc may not like sense, but the vast majority of people do. If it wasn't for their internal memory limitations, i might have waited for the sensation instead of iphone.

Others like motorola go for hardware over software, but thats why you end up with the lukewarm reviews for the xoom over the ipad. Sure, the xoom is more capable device, but they rushed it out to market instead of maximising its potential.
    jester77 wrote: »
    I'm surrounded by the same devices here as well and it's fairly easy to see why the Android market has problems and why developers shy away from releasing for it. The range of devices are so broad and varied and it leaves you with the problem - do I aim to support all devices or do I aim for a better app that can take advantage of the more powerful handsets? The cheaper less powerful handsets are selling well so you can not just ignore them. Most of the bad reviews I've seen for our app come from users on less powerful devices. It's not easy, whereas with the iphone you don't have this problem.

As for the OS's, they are both great OS's and it is down to personal taste and how you use your phone. I don't get all this arguing over one is better than the other. Right now I use an iPhone and I am happy using it. I used to be big into customising my phone and owned winmo phones before the ios and android appeared and I have had handsets with both of these as well. But right now I just want to take my phone out and use it, previously I was spending more time configuring, messing around with the OS and always looking for the next thing to modify on my phone, than actually using the phone. If you are into configing and modding then Android wins easily whereas if you just want to pick up and use it then ios is a better choice.

The one thing that annoys me about Android is the UI, maybe this will get sorted out from honeycomb onwards. Having to wait for the manufacturer to update their UI so that you can get the latest version of the OS is just wrong. You should be able to download it independently and switch off the UI. Hope that gets taken care of.

I agree entirely. Again, I never said i hated Android, or that it wasn't a great OS - as i said, i was very happy with it for the past year or so. But like you, I'm not just want to take my phone out and use it, play a few games. I'm sure after a year on iOS i'll look for an android to play with and tweak

Actually, if webOS goes mainstream in terms of apps, i'll probably jump all over that for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

We're not, the iphone 5 is only getting a 1.0Ghz dual core A5 chip and not out till later in the year when the Galaxy S 2 and Htc Sensation are getting 1.2Ghz dual core and out in a few weeks. Other phones are passing Apple by as usual

Using megahertz as a benchmark for performance between two devices using different Operating systems and processors is ridiculous.

Using megahertz as a benchmark for performance between two devices using different Operating systems and processors is ridiculous.

Not at all, cpu's in Apple and Samsung phones have the same architecture and incidentally both are made by Samsung,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Cortex-A9_MPCore
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A5

Not at all, cpu's in Apple and Samsung phones have the same architecture and incidentally both are made by Samsung,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARM_Cortex-A9_MPCore
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A5

This I'm aware of. It doesn't change my point that using clockspeed is wholly inappropriate as a gauge of superiority of one over the other.

This I'm aware of. It doesn't change my point that using clockspeed is wholly inappropriate as a gauge of superiority of one over the other.

Well then, why do Apple opt for one clocked 20% slower than the 1.2Ghz one thats available and that other manufacturers are using. The answer is simple, they're milking it as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭shadowninty

Well then, why do Apple opt for one clocked 20% slower than the 1.2Ghz one thats available and that other manufacturers are using. The answer is simple, they're milking it as usual.
    the iPhone4 was clocked at 850MHz
    Who noticed? not me

Or that like megapixels samsung know that some people are won over by essentially meaningless numbers.

Or that like megapixels samsung know that some people are won over by essentially meaningless numbers.

very true, the iPhone 4 camera is excellent due to lots of SW work by Apple

Of course, I forgot, things like clock speed are insignificant to Apple customers

I think the point they are trying to make is that processor spend isn't necessarily indicative of performance. The Galaxy S one had a 1ghz clock speed, but suffered terribly from lag. Similarly the Optimus 2X had a dual core processor but due to poor software integration was buggy and was meant to suffer even more lag than the Galaxy S.

Its not what you got, its how you use it.

The iPhone 4 has a slower processor than either of the above, yet is much snappier and responsive. Similarly, the iPad uses a "slower" processor than the Xoom but because of software and hardware integration is much more responsive and unlike the Xoom doesn't suffer from any software bugs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also thought i read the iPad 2 was using an underclocked processor - presumably to boost battery life and efficiency. I know htc also underclocked some phones (desire z i think). Clearly they think they can get more from using less.

The iPhone 4 camera is meant to perform better as well than some 8megapixel phone cameras (though i really cant tell - i've used my phone's camera about three times in 3 years).

By the way, if somebody were to comes up with some real arguments as to why android is better (such as the ability to use apps like locale, greater cross-app integration, google app integration) I'd readily agree with them.

Relying on tech specs though is just lazy!

• Advertisement

I think the point they are trying to make is that processor spend isn't necessarily indicative of performance. The Galaxy S one had a 1ghz clock speed, but suffered terribly from lag. Similarly the Optimus 2X had a dual core processor but due to poor software integration was buggy and was meant to suffer even more lag than the Galaxy S.

Paul found that a few lines of build.prop caused the 2X lag

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭iwo

Its not what you got, its how you use it.

The iPhone 4 has a slower processor than either of the above, yet is much snappier and responsive. Similarly, the iPad uses a "slower" processor than the Xoom but because of software and hardware integration is much more responsive and unlike the Xoom doesn't suffer from any software bugs.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I also thought i read the iPad 2 was using an underclocked processor - presumably to boost battery life and efficiency. I know htc also underclocked some phones (desire z i think). Clearly they think they can get more from using less.

The iPhone 4 camera is meant to perform better as well than some 8megapixel phone cameras (though i really cant tell - i've used my phone's camera about three times in 3 years).

By the way, if somebody were to comes up with some real arguments as to why android is better (such as the ability to use apps like locale, greater cross-app integration, google app integration) I'd readily agree with them.

Will you ever stop? Geezus... what do u want to achieve by producing more and more posts?
    I'm wondering so much , please tell me :) what is your "issue" ??
    And finally why don't you move to iPhone forum and "rape" others people minds? With Regards, Iwo

Will you ever stop? Geezus... what do u want to achieve by producing more and more posts?
    I'm wondering so much , please tell me :) what is your "issue" ??
    And finally why don't you move to iPhone forum and "rape" others people minds? With Regards, Iwo

Why do you keep coming back if you're so sick of the topic?

I started the post, I think I'm entitled to comment on responses. I've responded to specific points raised. I think I've generally tried to be well reasoned.

If you don't like people having an opinion which differs to yours, I would suggest avoiding the the internet. You might bump into one or two who disagree with you...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

So what phone you gonna get. Stick with android or what?

seanybiker wrote: »
    So what phone you gonna get. Stick with android or what?

Still not sure. As I've said, both have strengths and weaknesses. Like the iOS app store, itunes integration, and ease of use, though equally like the android flexibility, customisation, googles apps integration, widgets etc.

Ultimately both good systems with specific strengths and weaknesses.

Might keep the iPhone, just because of I've had Android for a year now, change might be nice. And it plays nicer with my iPad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Ah right I see. Sure have fun with whichever one ya choose. Having the ipad it probably would be better having the iPhone

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Jaykay70

I have been using iPhone's for the last three years and recently changed to Android - Galaxy S and Nexus S.

I really loved the iOS and iTunes integration as well as Mobile Me and it was a real wrench to change to Android. Some of the reason was iPhone fatigue as, despite going from a 3G to a 3GS to a 4, it essentially still feels like it did three years ago. That is not necessarily a bad thing, but it does generate boredom eventually.

With Android it has in many ways been a revelation. The handling of notifications is significantly better and I love being able to use widgets to monitor information instead of having to load an app each time. I do miss the iTunes integration but may just get an iPod Touch or iPad for media; although that does go against my 'one device for everything' reasoning behind getting an iPhone in the first place. I also miss my TomTom app and cradle, which work brilliantly.

Overall, I am pleased with my move from 2 x iPhone 4 handsets to a Galaxy S (soon to be S2) and Nexus S but I would not rule out a return to an iPhone in the future.

But if I had to pick one thing that I like about Android then it would probably be notifications. I can check everything without having to unlock the phone and that is a real time saver over the course of a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

That's not necessarily true where android is concerned because the dev community will always come up with better ways to use the hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I agree on the notifications, 100%, this is the one area where Android is significantly ahead of iOS (that's just me folks!). On my iPhone4 I have jailbroken to get LockScreen info and SBSettings (similar to the new power widget HTC have designed for Sense 3.0). But, I should not have had to do that, if the whole point of an Apple device is "it just works". I mean dumbphones from the 90s did a better job than iOS does. IIRC my Nokia 3310 used to flash a little envelope icon when I had a text or missed call.

I'd say I'll be giving Sense 3.0 & gingerbread a run in the next copule of months, probably on a Sensation and flog my iPhone 4.

• Advertisement
Advertisement