Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Loungers on the run: Couch to 5k to marathon and beyond

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Boxerdog

Hi ladies,
    I've just finished week 1 of this programme and looking forward to the rest of it. I'm currently using the podcasts from the NHS website but I'm not a huge fan of the music they use - it's kind of dance/trance for the run parts and middle-of-the-road easy listening for the walks. Does anyone have any suggestions for a couch to 5km podcast that uses more lively music, e.g. some kind of cheesey pop?

Thanks, keep on running!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

this is the one im using boxer,
    http://runningintoshape.com/race-for-a-cure/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Boxerdog

this is the one im using boxer,
    http://runningintoshape.com/race-for-a-cure/

Thanks so much, I'll give it a try for week 2.

W4D3 done. My stamina is definitely coming back as my pace quickened a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Ramette

bluewolf wrote: »
    Ah dont repeat you'll get bored, just slow down and stick with it!
    I missed w6d3 but I did w7d1 tonight. Managed 23min, had to take a 1min break before I did the last 2min :(
    I'll do it next time!
    I feel great :cool::cool::cool:

maybe you would let me borrow osky for some motivation!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Ramette wrote: »
    maybe you would let me borrow osky for some motivation!!!:)

he is not motivation!!
    he has to stop and sniff everything!! then i have to tug him along when he catches a scent! lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Ppeople looking for sports bras....Try pennys. I got two lovely black ones there for 6e a piece, I dunno how the will be for bigger busted ladies, mine are only small and I said I'd try it anyway...I'll let you know how I get on! :)

Pennys was full of lycraish pants. I found one pair of running leggings in a size 6 :mad::mad: in the Mary street pennys and there was none left in the O' Connell street one! :( Just when I wanted to get a cheap pair? Where can I find a good decent pair of running leggings on the cheap?

I also did a gait analysis in Runways on Parnell street, the guy in there was so helpful. I am a "neutral runner" (which I'll have to look up later) and he gave me a list of 5 pairs of runners, has anyone ever used any of these (any info on sizing would be great) and would I be able to buy them on the internet?

Mizuno wave rider
    Brooks Glycerin
    Saucony Triumph
    Nike Pegasus
    Asics nimbus

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Haven't ran since last Thursday, between my niggly knees and the mountain of college work. I'm going to the doctor tomorrow to make sure my knees are up to it and to get some general advice about how to protect them and everything else. Hopefully will be back running in a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I'm after getting a pretty good high impact sports bra in M&S. They are pretty good for the bigger cups aswell.

Meanwhile...I was too tired today to go running (honestly, I'm knackered, was at yoga yesterday) and I have an important meeting tomorrow morning, so I figured I should take it easy and get a take-away :o

TOMORROW I'll go out, tomorrow. I promise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

My knees are pretty sore after yesterday's run. It's strange because they never even twinged during or after any of the other runs, it seems sudden.

• Advertisement

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    My knees are pretty sore after yesterday's run. It's strange because they never even twinged during or after any of the other runs, it seems sudden.

Welcome to my world! Although it wasn't really pain until today (and I haven't bloody ran for days!), and it's not even severe pain, just niggly pain at times. Stupid knees *grumble*

Is it normal to get pain like a pulled muscle under your ribs? My boyfriend gave me a little squeeze yesterday and I gasped, when I was finishing off my run just now I could feel that under my ribs was a little sore/tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭simply_dee

I also did a gait analysis in Runways on Parnell street, the guy in there was so helpful. I am a "neutral runner" (which I'll have to look up later) and he gave me a list of 5 pairs of runners, has anyone ever used any of these (any info on sizing would be great) and would I be able to buy them on the internet?

Mizuno wave rider
    Brooks Glycerin
    Saucony Triumph
    Nike Pegasus
    Asics nimbus

Hey squeakyduck, I've been running in a pair of mizuno wave riders for a year now and I absolutely love them, no injuries or complaints so far. I have quite wide feet (and one of my feet is much bigger than the other :o) but I just wear my normal shoe size. I tried them on in runways before I bought them and they fit me perfectly.

Not sure of anywhere in particular to buy them online - though amazon seem to have some cheap ones at the moment (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dshoes&field-keywords=mizuno+wave+rider&rh=n:355005011,k:mizuno+wave+rider&ajr=3) but I'd DEFINITELY recommend trying them on in the shop, if at all possible.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I don't have the Wave Rider (I'm not neutral), but I have the Wave Inspire (their shoe for a moderate pronator, similar to Asics 2160) and I absolutely love it. Fit is really good and it's a bit lighter than some of the other shoes that suit me. I'm on my 2nd pair, and I've got a third pair ready to swap in for when these ones die (or possibly for Connemara :pac: ).

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Quick question, started C25k last friday, did day 1 & then day 2 on Saturday, but haven't done anything since because I got a yucky kidney infection. Feeling much better now today, went for a walk & will do a walk again tomorrow, but want to start back again with the c25k on Thursday. Should I start with w1d1 again since I've missed a few days in a row or just see if I feel ready to go on to w2 after I've done w1d3 on Thursday?

Cheers Dee. Was looking at Brooks on M&Mdirect.
    http://www.mandmdirect.ie/products-Brooks-Womens-Glycerin-Running-Shoes-Blue-Marine-Blue-Black-Silver-White_BQ387.htm €43.74 isn't a bad deal as he was asking for €105ish, the guy asked would I be back to buy shoes (he was so nice too...I felt bad saying I was gonna buy on the net....)

I consulted my brother and his finance as they are mad into running, their tastes in runners are different. But he loves marathons etc and she loves cross country runs!:D Waiting to hear back from them both!

My sports bra is deadly, its really comfy and easy to get into :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

mariebeth wrote: »
    Quick question, started C25k last friday, did day 1 & then day 2 on Saturday, but haven't done anything since because I got a yucky kidney infection. Feeling much better now today, went for a walk & will do a walk again tomorrow, but want to start back again with the c25k on Thursday. Should I start with w1d1 again since I've missed a few days in a row or just see if I feel ready to go on to w2 after I've done w1d3 on Thursday?
    See how you feel - if you're ready to move on, then move on, but listen to your body.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Week 9 Day 3 tonight :eek: don't believe it! I've done nothing for about 2.5 weeks because I was on holiday (eating and drinking copious amounts and lazing about!). I wasn't looking forward to last night's run thinking that I'd give up after ten minutes and that I should probably drop back to Week 7 or even Week 8. But I headed out for W9D2 run and completed it, albeit a bit slower than W9D1, but still!

I'm not getting the 5km done in the 30 minutes but hopefully that will come in time! I found that W6D3 (the 25 minute run) was a real turning point mentally and physically. Everything came together after that run and the next few weeks absolutely flew by.

I'd also recommend the Shock Absorber bras for the ladies with larger busts. They're on the expensive side (€38) but if you get into running you'll be wearing one daily so it's a good investment! They're so comfortable and I don't move at all (D cup).

I can't even begin to describe how beneficial it's been. I've NEVER been sporty or fit, two years ago I'd get breathless going up a flight of stairs. If someone had told me I'd one day be able to run for a half hour without a break I'd have laughed in their face.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

That's amazing gauge, you'll have to have a little celebration for finishing the program!!! :D

Ok, I've worked out which section of my route I need to double up on to reach the 5k mark!
    Eek :eek:
    W7d2 tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭LollieB

Well done girls- sounds like everyone is doing really well & staying motivated!

W3 D3 completed last night- feeling good!

I decided to test myself at the weekend and see how long I could run continously for and really surprised myself! Felt great afterwards, was grinning all the way home from the gym.

Finishing the 5km race in April doesn't seem as far fetched now (even if it takes me the guts of an hour to do so!) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭elsy

Hi lollieB can I ask where the 5k race is in April? Well ladies I completed week 8 d 2 outside!! im freaking delighted with myself cause all my runs have been on treadmill so feeling great right now!

wow everyone is doing fantastic, i on the other hand am not enjoying week 6 at all :(. Am about to go out to do day 3 and really cant see myself managing it considering i didnt finish my second 10 min run on monday...
    anyway i suppose i will have to give it a go and really not let my mind rule the roost... i might try imagining that my running partner is matt damon and see if that works :P

Matt Damon was a great help!! I did it. Also think doing a completely different route so i couldnt drive myself crazy thinking about how far i had to run helped too W6D3 complete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Aaaand that's W9D3 done and dusted! Meaning I've officially completed C25K :D Yaaaay!

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭mariebeth

Gauge wrote: »
    Aaaand that's W9D3 done and dusted! Meaning I've officially completed C25K :D Yaaaay!

Congratulations!!! You should be very, very proud of yourself :)

Gauge wrote: »

I HATE you right now (but i mean that in the nicest way!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

Well done Guage...im trying to motivate myself to head out to do W3D3 tonight!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 noddyname

Well done Gauge!

I just finished W2 D2 and again really enjoyed it! :)

I find it funny, the first 90 second jog I feel like a sack of potatoes and think to myself that the last night must have been a complete fluke and I definitely won't last the whole programme. By the second last 90 second jog I'm really getting into it and feel I could keep going all night. Looking forward to Friday night and finishing Week 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭SL10

W3D3 done :D And i was a bit faster than the last time too:)

W7d2 done, though it was a bit of a disaster. I'm going to have to be more careful with my food, crisps was obviously a bad idea. And yes I should have known!
    Had to keep stopping :( Made sure to cover pretty much all of the 4km though so I did it by distance rather than time, but it took too long. Over 30 mins I think, which sounds ok but I felt like I was crawling.

I wasnt going to bring osky cos I need to work on just the running itself, but he squeaked and jumped so much I gave in, but there are so many people out these days that it's run, stop to hold him back, run, run, stop, etc.
    :(

Still, I shall persevere and do w7d3 on fri or sat!

• Advertisement

Doctor's visit went well. My knees are fine, the niggling isn't anything serious. She said to run on grass as much as humanly possible. Because I'm carrying a bit of extra weight, I'm planning to repeat the first two or three weeks for 3 or 4 weeks each, or until they stop being a challenge, just until I drop a bit of weight and my joints can handle the extra stress. Sounds boring, but I'm ok with that!

Advertisement