Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Moto G from Tesco for £129.99

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

54kroc wrote: »
    In fairness it's still not a bad price for an unlock.

give us the link for the unlock that's not a bad price?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

I got the tesco mobile 4g model unlocked through eBay. Think it was one of the first results on eBay only 2 euro or so iirc. Found the listing but its on the mobile website as I'm on the phone here: http://m.ebay.ca/itm?itemId=191259132813

• Registered Users Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭Doge

Aspiring wrote: »
    I got the tesco mobile 4g model unlocked through eBay. Think it was one of the first results on eBay only 2 euro or so iirc. Found the listing but its on the mobile website as I'm on the phone here: http://m.ebay.ca/itm?itemId=191259132813

Makes me wonder if we should start asking mods to update the OP with links like this,

Would really help newcomers to the bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,056 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If this works, it is very good news for people on here.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    If this works, it is very good news for people on here.

I'm hoping it will. I've been seeing on some sellers pages that they are asking people with 4g model phones not to request unlock codes. Something about their being an issue with Motorola's servers in relation to the unlock codes for these phones. No such notice that I can see (correct me if I'm wrong) in the listing I've posted so perhaps it's working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DavyC2

I used the seller "complete_comms_soultions" and had no problems getting a code, they were the cheapest too ( €1:70 I think )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

I've just realised something.

When sending an email seller your details, we are giving our current network as Tesco Mobile UK.

However, their database probably doesn't list that and may be confused with "T-Mobile UK" which are two different networks.

But, Tesco Mobile and O2 are the same so maybe when listing your current network to the ebay seller, type something such as "Tesco Mobile UK (same as O2)" just so as they dont select T-Mobile which is what some may think, particularly sellers outside the UK who may be unfamiliar with the networks.

It was this that got me thinking as when I select O2 as my network it say that a code is available for my phone:
    http://www.cellunlocker.net/motorola-unlock.php

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Delira

DavyC2 wrote: »
    I used the seller "complete_comms_soultions" and had no problems getting a code, they were the cheapest too ( €1:70 I think )

How long ago did you use him? Because I bought my 4G unlock code from him about a month ago but now he's after changing the price on that listing to something ridiculous like £500. He's also created a new (normal price) listing but includes the line "Kindly Do not send Moto G LTE 4G version Iemi in This listing."

So this guy's out I'm afraid!

I wonder what the issue is with unlocking the 4Gs? There seemed to be no shortage of sellers last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭DavyC2

Delira wrote: »
    How long ago did you use him? Because I bought my 4G unlock code from him about a month ago but now he's after changing the price on that listing to something ridiculous like £500. He's also created a new (normal price) listing but includes the line "Kindly Do not send Moto G LTE 4G version Iemi in This listing."

So this guy's out I'm afraid!

I wonder what the issue is with unlocking the 4Gs? There seemed to be no shortage of sellers last month.

It was about 2/3 weeks ago alright, sent me two codes but the first one worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jamerican

Got a response from this guy:

Hi,

Sorry to inform you that the unlock code for your phone cannot be found in the regular Motorola Database.

You will receive full refund. You may try Next Level Motorola Database which should have the unlock code but it costs more and takes longer. (Up to 3 business days). Please contact us for more details if you have any questions.

Back to square one again. :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

just got a text from parcel motel guys, my phone is ready for collection

Im gonna leave now to collect the phone

Then Im gonna try the link posted above

http://m.ebay.ca/itm?itemId=191259132813

Will report back results

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Jamerican wrote: »
    Got a response from this guy:

Hi,

Sorry to inform you that the unlock code for your phone cannot be found in the regular Motorola Database.

You will receive full refund. You may try Next Level Motorola Database which should have the unlock code but it costs more and takes longer. (Up to 3 business days). Please contact us for more details if you have any questions.

Back to square one again. :-(

Same myself from this guy.

This is getting old fairly quick now. That's about the 6th person I've tried. Waiting to hear back from "mnztechnologies" as I've paid for one of the £7 "special" services but the seller is away until next week so even in the chance that it does get sorted it'll be at least another week.

Can't understand how my IMEI can't be found in the Motorola database, I understand there are two databases and mine is apparently in the second but still no guarantee of this being sorted.

Am I right in thinking that Tesco wont take back a phone that has been turned on etc? As I'd seriously consider sending it back and ordering a sim free.

This seems to be purely a problem with Tesco Mobile 4G handsets.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jamerican

Same myself from this guy.

This is getting old fairly quick now. That's about the 6th person I've tried. Waiting to hear back from "mnztechnologies" as I've paid for one of the £7 "special" services but the seller is away until next week so even in the chance that it does get sorted it'll be at least another week.

Can't understand how my IMEI can't be found in the Motorola database, I understand there are two databases and mine is apparently in the second but still no guarantee of this being sorted.

Am I right in thinking that Tesco wont take back a phone that has been turned on etc? As I'd seriously consider sending it back and ordering a sim free.

This seems to be purely a problem with Tesco Mobile 4G handsets.

Not sure if Tesco would take it back, but I am trying this guy now. If I have any success, I'll let you all know. Certainly a pain in the butt, Just hope we get some results soon!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131264173504?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

just got my phone, very very impressed

It didnt come with a charger though?

Gonna try get an unlock code now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

just got my phone, very very impressed

It didnt come with a charger though?

Gonna try get an unlock code now
    They don't include a charger as they assume everyone already has one which is true with 99% of people. Its to keep costs down.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    They don't include a charger as they assume everyone already has one which is true with 99% of people. Its to keep costs down.

And more importantly reduces e-waste and promotes recycling.

just done the android 4.4.4 update, went very smooth

Also no problems with the phone not recognising my micro SD card or moving apps to the micro SD card

What's the battery life like after the update? Have been holding off from updating because of some reports of poor battery life post update.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭tiegan

What's the battery life like after the update? Have been holding off from updating because of some reports of poor battery life post update.

My battery life has significantly decreased since the update. Would be interested to hear from others about their experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

haven't noticed any difference since the update - I'd say I get about 24 hours out of a full charge, may a little more.

• Advertisement

battery life seems fine on my end after the 4.4.4 update

Cant try an unlock code until i get my microsim from tesco mobile although im not sure if i will need an unlock code because im on tesco mobile ireland and am unsure if a tesco mobile uk locked phone will alllow an irish tesco mobile sim to be used without an unlock

Any recommendations for a case guys?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭taytobreath

still no unlock code, I paid for my code Thursday.
    A pain in the tits this is.

battery life seems fine on my end after the 4.4.4 update

Cant try an unlock code until i get my microsim from tesco mobile although im not sure if i will need an unlock code because im on tesco mobile ireland and am unsure if a tesco mobile uk locked phone will alllow an irish tesco mobile sim to be used without an unlock

FYI: You're gonna need an unlock code sorry to say. I'm on Tesco Ireland and my sim wouldn't work in the locked Tesco UK phone until I unlocked it. I even rang Tesco customer care (before buying the code on ebay) on the off chance they might do something for me but they said it's actually a totally different company (!) so I'd have to get it unlocked.

Delira wrote: »
    FYI: You're gonna need an unlock code sorry to say. I'm on Tesco Ireland and my sim wouldn't work in the locked Tesco UK phone until I unlocked it. I even rang Tesco customer care (before buying the code on ebay) on the off chance they might do something for me but they said it's actually a totally different company (!) so I'd have to get it unlocked.

Where did you get it unlocked?

Can you post a link plz

Where did you get it unlocked?

Can you post a link plz

See post #159. The fella I used has changed his listing since to say that he doesn't unlock Moto G 4G's anymore. :(

http://www.mobilefun.co.uk/official-motorola-grip-shell-case-for-moto-g-cherry-p44047.htm

I bought the above grip case for mine. Really like it because it replaces the back that's on it rather than going on over it, so doesn't add any thickness to the phone. Also, instead of cutouts for the volume/power buttons it has them inbuilt into it so very easy access to them. And I think the rubber bumper part around the edge would give pretty good protection in a fall. Granted it's a bit pricey but I'm happy with it!

PS Paid €20.95 on Expansys.ie for it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

I still have had no luck getting a network unlck code for 4G model.

May have to do this:
    http://www.tescomobile.com/help-and-support/1083-phone-help/1102-using-your-phone/unlock-your-tesco-mobile-phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Wombatman wrote: »

May have to do this:
    http://www.tescomobile.com/help-and-support/1083-phone-help/1102-using-your-phone/unlock-your-tesco-mobile-phone

Have you tried this guy?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/191259132813

A poster above got a code off him for his 4g moto g without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Wombatman wrote: »

May have to do this:

I'm in the same boat. What the problem is I just dont know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Have you tried this guy?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/191259132813

A poster above got a code off him for his 4g moto g without any problems.

Tried him. He gave me a code. It didn't work. He was very helpful and gave me a refund no problem.

Advertisement