Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards AC Bi-weekly speed sessions

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

shels4ever wrote: »
    I would love to but I dont think i'll be in any fit state that night, will defo be running some of them next month , Might need to make sure were registered ;)

Maybe this one Shels
    http://dublinathletics.com/dynamic/pdf/Graded%20Meeting%20No%20309.xls
    Kick of your track with a mile race :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Would be nice will prob be 3-4 week after that one, first race i'll prob give a last two will be around the 25th I think.
    Need at least 6 week before i'll be on the track. Can't let you beat me by too much ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Woddle wrote: »
    http://dublinathletics.com/dynamic/pdf/Graded%20Meeting%20No%20209.xls
    May the 6th at 20:35 in the 1500m D race. After been told that I won't make a show of myself, I've decided to give this a lash, just wondering if anyone else is interested in joining me and the race will obviously replace one of your sessions next week. I would urge everyone to try the track, after running in Santry last week, I think I'm hooked.

Hmmm, could be tempted. Where is "Irishtown" though?

robinph wrote: »
    Hmmm, could be tempted. Where is "Irishtown" though?

;) Excellent
    yep this one is in Irishtown, some of them will be in morton stadium aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 new2triathlon

Hi I waited until this morning to do first session- so it would fit in with my swim/bike training. I did the 5 * 600 session this morning. Main reason for selecting this one was not fitness level but I knew a definite 600m stretch of road along the Dodder bank, whereas was unsure of 800 markings! In hindsight I went faster than pace I could releastically maintain for 5km but enjoyed the session.
    Lap 1: 2m 35
    Lap 2: 2 min 32
    Lap 3 2 min 30
    Lap 4: 2 min 32
    Lap 5 2 Min 33

Looking forward to next session of 100m's-which I will hopefully do on Fri morning

All the best,
    New2triathlon

• Advertisement

Rathfarnham train down by the dodder and have it marked out, I havn't been down that way in ages, maybe one of the Rathfarnham runners here might be able to tell us what the markings are, if they still train there, I think they could be in terenure college now though.

Well done though on getting the 600s done and very good pacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

http://dublinathletics.com/dynamic/pdf/Graded%20Meeting%20No%20209.xls
    May the 6th at 20:35 in the 1500m D race. After been told that I won't make a show of myself, I've decided to give this a lash, just wondering if anyone else is interested in joining me and the race will obviously replace one of your sessions next week. I would urge everyone to try the track, after running in Santry last week, I think I'm hooked.

I hope to run a 1500m on Sat 9th and eeek maybe a 800m the following day (just for the fun of it) :D.

Tonight: 8 x 400m @ 80 sec pace with 90 sec recovery.

Name|How many sessions completed|Last session
    Woddle|2|2 mile tempo followed by 10x100m with 30 second recovery
    Belcarra |1|2.5 mile tt
    Robinph |1|2.5 mile tt
    Showry |0|
    Rainbow Kirby |0|
    Figs |1|6x800m @ 5k race pace
    ecoli |1|6x800m @ 5k race pace
    Jlang |1|6x800m @ 5k race pace
    Amadeus |0|
    MCOS |0|
    christeb |0|
    New2triathlon |1|5x600m @ 5k race pace
    Nerraw1111|0|
    Uglyjohn |1|2.5 mile tt
    St Mochtas |0|
    Seres |1|6x800m @ 5k race pace
    Runforrest |0|
    BeepBeep67 |2|8 x 400m @ 80 sec pace with 90 sec recovery

I really enjoyed these and managed them between 19-21 seconds and a 16 second for the last one which I was happy with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I had originally planned to do a speed session today but a serious case of CBA was caught. I'll do at least one this week, I promise :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

woddle
    got session 1 done , 6*800m with 600m recovery jog , will post times and commentary in log so dont have to repeat myself , hope that is ok

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

My first session back from long injury so wasnt expecting much but ended up happy enough with it
    6*800m
    1st Rep: 2.48
    2nd Rep: 2.50
    3rd Rep: 2.51
    4th Rep: 2.49
    5th Rep: 2.52
    6th Rep: 2.47

Still a ver long way to get back to what i was but sure we take things in baby steps

ecoli wrote: »
    My first session back from long injury so wasnt expecting much but ended up happy enough with it
    6*800m
    1st Rep: 2.48
    2nd Rep: 2.50
    3rd Rep: 2.51
    4th Rep: 2.49
    5th Rep: 2.52
    6th Rep: 2.47

Still a ver long way to get back to what i was but sure we take things in baby steps

Great start ecoli, giving that we don't live to far away from each other, if you ever fancy a session just give me a call and a bit of notice, I know you'll probably do most of them with your club but you never know when you'll want company.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Name|How many sessions completed|Last session
    Woddle|2|2 mile tempo followed by 10x100m with 30 second recovery
    Belcarra |1|2.5 mile tt
    Robinph |1|2.5 mile tt
    Showry |0|
    Rainbow Kirby |1/2| 5x600 @ 5k race pace
    Figs |1|6x800m @ 5k race pace
    ecoli |1|6x800m @ 5k race pace
    Jlang |1|6x800m @ 5k race pace
    Amadeus |0|
    MCOS |0|
    christeb |0|
    New2triathlon |1|5x600m @ 5k race pace
    Nerraw1111|0|
    Uglyjohn |1|2.5 mile tt
    St Mochtas |0|
    Seres |1|6x800m @ 5k race pace
    Runforrest |0|
    BeepBeep67 |2|8 x 400m @ 80 sec pace with 90 sec recovery

Session didn't quite go according to plan, partly due to being on a treadmill, and partly due to getting really dizzy for no apparent reason midway through the third rep. :(

hey woddle
    is there an alternative to the 12*100m session? , its just that the only accessable ways i have to measure distances at the moment are the car ( in miles) or mapmyrun ( which i dont think it is accurate enough for small distances such as 100m
    Also do you think its a bad idea to do a speed session on friday if i have a race monday ?
    mondays race is not my target race but i get to run so few that i wanted to give it a good blast

Seres wrote: »
    hey woddle
    is there an alternative to the 12*100m session? , its just that the only accessable ways i have to measure distances at the moment are the car ( in miles) or mapmyrun ( which i dont think it is accurate enough for small distances such as 100m
    Also do you think its a bad idea to do a speed session on friday if i have a race monday ?
    mondays race is not my target race but i get to run so few that i wanted to give it a good blast

Hi Seres an alternative is to do it by time, so maybe 25 seconds fast with 30-40 seconds recovery. If this is not your main race I would do the session on Friday especially if its the one above. What distance is the race, if its 10k, I don't think there is a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Anyone fancy doing a 2.5 mile TT last week in may or first week in June let me know, i'm thinking of doing one ever 6-8 week unless i'm racing during the summer, have a nice route in north dublin. Can even arange this as a handicap if needed might make it more fun if we can get numbers..

Hi Seres an alternative is to do it by time, so maybe 25 seconds fast with 30-40 seconds recovery. If this is not your main race I would do the session on Friday especially if its the one above. What distance is the race, if its 10k, I don't think there is a problem.
    ya race is 10k minimarathon in roscommon , will do the alternative session morro morning then, 25*10 with 30-40sec recovery
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Hey Woddle,

I live at the back of morton stadium but have never used the track.
    What do i need to do to get access? Liaise with Clonliffe?? Or just turn up??
    It'd be handy for the 12 x 100m sessions...

belcarra wrote: »
    Hey Woddle,

I'm out there tonight so I can ask unless someone posts beforehand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Great start ecoli, giving that we don't live to far away from each other, if you ever fancy a session just give me a call and a bit of notice, I know you'll probably do most of them with your club but you never know when you'll want company.

The company would be greatly appreciated to be honest at the mohhment i just way too far behind any of my training partners to make it worth while to do any of my sessions with them.
    While the 100m reps wouldnt be my cup of tea but the next LT session let me know and ill try work my schedule to suit depending on work (the draw backs of shift work)

• Advertisement

There will be a 2x2 mile next week, so I was thinking of doing this Sunday or Monday(4th) or Friday the 8th. The reason for those specific days is I'm going to race the 1500m at the graded meet on the Wednesday. Welcome to join me for that aswell. I think robinph is thinking of doing it and I roped a friend into it also :D

Hey Woddle,

Hi belcarra, I asked and what I was told was, officially you can't come in for insurance purposes, eg getting struck with a javelin when you shouldn't be on the premises but I was told if you wanted to join the clonliffe sessions that that would be ok. Maybe someone else in the know may have another opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

Hi belcarra, I asked and what I was told was, officially you can't come in for insurance purposes, eg getting struck with a javelin when you shouldn't be on the premises but I was told if you wanted to join the clonliffe sessions that that would be ok. Maybe someone else in the know may have another opinion.

I thought it was more or less a public track outside of the times when clubs have it booked? That if you turned up to use it, as long as you weren't in anyone's way, or on someone else's time it would be okay?

I would have thought the same but before the race a guy in his 50s approached myself and running bing, he wanted to know are you alright lads and we told him we were here for the race and he said ah thats ok so, just that I didn't recognise your faces, so I asked him was he the caretaker and he laughed but he did imply that he helps in the looking after the stadium, I forget his exact words and then I asked him about access to the track and he gave me the official line, they were his words not mine. Very friendly guy but he did leave it open to interpretation when he said ok lads I'll give you the official line
    I did mean to ask someone else involved in the race but he was late :D and I forgot.

Week 2 sessions are now up, http://boardsac.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

I would have thought the same but before the race a guy in his 50s approached myself and running bing, he wanted to know are you alright lads and we told him we were here for the race and he said ah thats ok so, just that I didn't recognise your faces, so I asked him was he the caretaker and he laughed but he did imply that he helps in the looking after the stadium, I forget his exact words and then I asked him about access to the track and he gave me the official line, they were his words not mine. Very friendly guy but he did leave it open to interpretation when he said ok lads I'll give you the official line
    I did mean to ask someone else involved in the race but he was late :D and I forgot.

Fair enough, I can't speak for any individual track, but anytime I am away and come across a track, I tend to use it, but with the following provisos...

I'll always avoid the inside lanes (being on the inside is a sure way to draw attention to yourself, plus it irks the track stakeholders the most, for good reasons).

If anyone else is on the track, even if they arrive later than me, I'll assume they are local or 'authorised' users, so I'll change my lane to accommodate them. Just thinking that the last thing you want is for someone to complain that you were in their lane - again just drawing attention to yourself, so not getting up anyone's nose will keep you off the radar.

With that approach I don't generally get bothered on tracks...

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Hey Woddle,

I live beside morton too, and have used the track at off peak times (early mornings and not on Clonliffe training nights). Only been in a few times, but never had any hassle.

That seems to go along with what RF was saying aswell and as I was saying earlier the guy did say the official line is___, the way he used the word official did suggest that there was flexibility but at the same time he didn't say that.
    I suppose if RFs guidelines are followed and figs hasn't had a problem, maybe there is none.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

That seems to go along with what RF was saying aswell and as I was saying earlier the guy did say the official line is___, the way he used the word official did suggest that there was flexibility but at the same time he didn't say that.
    I suppose if RFs guidelines are followed and figs hasn't had a problem, maybe there is none.

He kinda sounded like on the one hand they didnt mind you using the track but on the other hand they would prefer you didnt:D

Tbh it seemed like their wouldnt really be a problem and if you follow RF's advice I cant imagine anybody would pass comment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

I don't have a problem with anyone using it! Please proceed...:D

Advertisement