Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making friends in the city

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭ciano1

Suppose being 20 and a guy doesn't help! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

There's a few of us heading for a daunder around Galway tomorrow to see some sights and such, and to stop occasionally to give a read of an extract or two from Flann O'Brien's "Cruiskeen Lawn". It might sound a little pretentious, but it promises to be fun nonetheless.
    We shall start with breakfast in the Gourmet Tart in Salthill at 11am if anyone wishes to join.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭georgem25

Try www.meetup.com there are a few groups in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Quick idea:

If you're any way technical or a bit fo a nerd/gamer (like myself) try 091 Labs, great place to hang out and meet friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 banahan25

Hey everyone Im new to Galway. Well Ill be there on Tuesday actually. How did everyone else find accommodation when they first arrived?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Loz1988

daft.ie is prob your best bet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

Hi all, I'm in the same boat as many here... just after moving to this fair city to work as my friends who were here all decided to move away to greener pastures :pac: So I'm wondering is there any meet-ups coming up to meet new people or is anyone looking for someone to go for a coffee and a chat in the evenings? I'm 22 I probably should add

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

tinz18 wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm in the same boat as many here... just after moving to this fair city to work as my friends who were here all decided to move away to greener pastures :pac: So I'm wondering is there any meet-ups coming up to meet new people or is anyone looking for someone to go for a coffee and a chat in the evenings? I'm 22 I probably should add
    There'll probably be a beers in the next few weeks. Being organised here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056710158

Feel free to suggest something sooner/different and see how many people you get :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,069 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'd be up for doing the beers thing for the laugh
    I live about 50mins from Galway city but it's only since I moved into the city there few weeks back that I actually realised I know feck all people in the there haha :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭tinz18

Thanks I'm up for a beers... just point me in the right direction... I'll have a think and if something comes to mind I'll post up here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭lizgal

can anyone tell if where there might be laughter yoga?thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LuLu_91

hey
    ive been living in galway looking for a job for the last few months i still have no luck with the job so i was hoping someone here wants to meet up because it would be nice to have someone to chat with and stuff or go for a coffee :) i hope to hear from someone soon :)
    ohh and im a girl and im 21 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Queen92

I would like to make some more friends in Galway as well ;) im a 20 yrs old girl and live in galway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

ye last two posters should meet up. same boat for both of ye.

also might be no harm if ye check out the social activities of the University as im sure that will give ye plenty of social opportunities to meet new people.

I'm leaving Galway soon, but what you could so is organize a coffee/tea evening, where you meet somewhere in town and go for tea and a chat. The Ladies Lounge has a private lounge for arranging things like that, I think, so drop one of the mods there a message and see if they can let you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭primrose_lily

Hi all,

I just got out of a long term relationship and realised that i actually dont have that many friends (if any) around Galway anymore.
    Sad eh? ha anyway id like to meet new people, get out there and just have some fun.

I was thinking of going to the adult gymnastics classes tomorrow night out near the racecourse if anyone wants to join otherwise if there is anyone meeting up for a bit of a laugh i would be up for it.

Im a 25 yr old girl living pretty close to town so if anyone is about for a cup of tea, a movie, a run, a skate or a much needed double Captain Morgans let me know! haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

Hi all,

I just got out of a long term relationship and realised that i actually dont have that many friends (if any) around Galway anymore.
    Sad eh? ha anyway id like to meet new people, get out there and just have some fun.

I was thinking of going to the adult gymnastics classes tomorrow night out near the racecourse if anyone wants to join otherwise if there is anyone meeting up for a bit of a laugh i would be up for it.

Im a 25 yr old girl living pretty close to town so if anyone is about for a cup of tea, a movie, a run, a skate or a much needed double Captain Morgans let me know! haha

After being hooked to the tv for the Olympic gymnastics,I promised myself that I'll try it some time soon.However,now that I know there are adult classes in Galway I'm not feeling so brave ha!

Anyway,I've highlighted the most important part of your post.Double sounds like a reasonable warm up before moving on to triples washed down with none other than Club orange,of course;)

El_Drago wrote: »
    After being hooked to the tv for the Olympic gymnastics,I promised myself that I'll try it some time soon.However,now that I know there are adult classes in Galway I'm not feeling so brave ha!

Anyway,I've highlighted the most important part of your post.Double sounds like a reasonable warm up before moving on to triples washed down with none other than Club orange,of course;)

Club orange? of course, nothing else would do!!

I called in today to check out the place for the gymnastics and they said that they start off with a really basic intro with a focus on cardio and core strengthening then you move onto handstands etc, nothing too daring, you wouldnt be attempting the vault anytime soon ;)

Looks like it could be fun and a bit of a mess about really, i mean who doesnt love to laugh at someone falling over and considering i have no body strength at all and i cant even tumble i could be the most entertaining part of the night :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

Club orange? of course, nothing else would do!!

I called in today to check out the place for the gymnastics and they said that they start off with a really basic intro with a focus on cardio and core strengthening then you move onto handstands etc, nothing too daring, you wouldnt be attempting the vault anytime soon ;)

Looks like it could be fun and a bit of a mess about really, i mean who doesnt love to laugh at someone falling over and considering i have no body strength at all and i cant even tumble i could be the most entertaining part of the night :)

With the exception of cardio,you've alleviated most of my initial concerns.For now lol.Unfortunately,I'm training 5 evenings a week already and have just commenced a PhD,so I have little time for any more activites until the weekends.It sounds like it could be a lot of fun though...

Weekends are usually spent hydrating myself with endless cups of tea before rallying a few troops in the evening to take on the evil Captain Morgan,and eventually being teleported into town.Come to think about it,that could be a good time to practice some gymnastics.After you.....:p

With the exception of cardio,you've alleviated most of my initial concerns.For now lol.Unfortunately,I'm training 5 evenings a week already and have just commenced a PhD,so I have little time for any more activites until the weekends.It sounds like it could be a lot of fun though...

Weekends are usually spent hydrating myself with endless cups of tea before rallying a few troops in the evening to take on the evil Captain Morgan,and eventually being teleported into town.Come to think about it,that could be a good time to practice some gymnastics.After you.....:p

Captain Morgan is a great motivator for the gymnastics or anything that common sense would prevent you from doing normally :)
    5 nights training for what? A marathon???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

.. have just commenced a PhD,so I have little time for any more activites until the weekends.It sounds like it could be a lot of fun though...
    In the process of finishing mine up at the moment - I'd advise against putting too many things off because of the PhD. It could make it a long four years..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Where are these classes?

Where are these classes?

at the back entrance to the races. you know where the turn off for the monivea road is you turn off left and its the left turn into the back of the race course its says on the wall. It was a bit hard to find at first but its in one of those warehouses, look good

Do you know what the name of it is?

Do you know what the name of it is?

renmore gymnastics club, that what your asking?

Yeh that's what I was asking.

I thought you were talking about renmore.... and I thought since itS 'Renmore' that it would in Renmore and that this was a new one.

Might check it out. Loved it when I was a kid.

I thought you were talking about renmore.... and I thought since itS 'Renmore' that it would in Renmore and that this was a new one.

Might check it out. Loved it when I was a kid.

ya you would think renmore wouldnt you thats why i was confused at first too!

you going tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,810 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I can confirm that Renmore Gymnastics Club meets in Racecourse Business Park, which is in Parkmore not Renmore.

No one ever said that the world was a logical place :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sirius11

Hi all,

Hi primrose_lily! In a similar-ish situation too. Would be absolutely terrified to go doin gymnastics. Id need a few Morgans beforehand!
    Have you done it before? Would love to hear how you get on with it though, in need of a new hobby!

• Advertisement

sirius11 wrote: »
    Hi primrose_lily! In a similar-ish situation too. Would be absolutely terrified to go doin gymnastics. Id need a few Morgans beforehand!
    Have you done it before? Would love to hear how you get on with it though, in need of a new hobby!

nope never done it before, i might actually go next week as im so tired today, i dont think i have the energy to take it seriously but next week definitely, you should come along with me, i cant even tumble, never been able to do a handstand or cartwheel so we can be the 2 newbies.
    they said it starts of pretty slow for new people and gradually get you used to things and build up strength :)

might be a laugh! :)

Advertisement