Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guess the Location Thread Rules thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

I don't think this should be rushed. I suggest we give it a few days. Others may want to have their say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

feargale wrote: »
    I don't think this should be rushed. I suggest we give it a few days. Others may want to have their say.

It's had ten days; how long do you want?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    You should probably avoid this thread then :P
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057314601

Well may that thread prosper. It may help to resolve an issue here that is bothering alot of posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

Unlimited
    I think what is happening in this thread about the rules is having a positive impact on the guess the village/tow/city thread in that better pictures with more clues are being posted and there is no scattergunning. Lets wait a few more days:)

Is there any appetite to extend this to N Ireland? After all we may have posters from there.

I'm sure there are posters from NI and if NI were included it might attract many more. It's only right that they should be accomodated by extending to NI. Mind you, I expect that will do for the rest of us what the entry of Eastern Europe to Eurovision has done for Ireland!

• Advertisement

It's had ten days; how long do you want?

Exactly as I said, a few more days. Some of us were unaware of the existence of this thread ten days ago.

Red Hare wrote: »
    I think what is happening in this thread about the rules is having a positive impact on the guess the village/tow/city thread in that better pictures with more clues are being posted and there is no scattergunning. Lets wait a few more days:)

I think you're right that the quality of the posts in the game is improving.

I bow to your and Feargale's wisdom; let's give it a bit longer.

But not too long, though!

Folks; have your say soon if you haven't already.

EDIT: I wrote the above before I saw this:
    Exactly as I said, a few more days. Some of us were unaware of the existence of this thread ten days ago.

If the correct guesser hasn't posted a PIC in 24 hrs it's open to the community to post a PIC

I second that.
    Move the thread from cool pics to quizzes..

I second that too.

I don't wish to labour the point, but we will get one chance to get this right. Trying to mend it later will simpy sow confusion, I don't think we should rush it. For all its problems the thread is a good one and will survive a few more days with minor defects.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Unlimited
    There is no panic with closing this thread. If people need extra time then that can be accommodated. I am getting that everyone seems to want mostly the same rules though.

Any particular reason some folks want it moved to quizzes forum?

• Advertisement

We don't have any rules on it as such afaik but I guess if someone is being a dick it falls under the sitewide rules.

I can't recall anyone ever acting the dick. Such rare misunderstandings as arose were, I believe, a result of the lack of clear rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Unlimited
    I can't recall anyone ever acting the dick. Such rare misunderstandings as arose were, I believe, a result of the lack of clear rules.

Judging by some of the pms I got not everyone agrees with you but sure that is a conversation for another day;)

It is more of a quiz than cool pics I suppose.

I concur.

Unlimited
    On the issue of moving to another thread/ forum well we in Art& Architecture had to move our game - " Name that Art" because the forum was closing. We lost some players in the move. We chose Cool Pics because we reckoned that people in that forum were into pictures and what it takes to manipulate and upload photos to the thread - more so than potential players in Puzzles 7 Quizzes.
    I suppose I would worry most that any regular players would be lost in any transition to another forum.

If you want a thread like this in Quizzes, then start one there.

However, if you move this one there, you will lose me as a poster/guesser/reader/lurker.

CVPL is one of my followed forums; I come in every day and look at all the threads with bold titles.

I've no intention of adding Quizzes to my list, or to my routine.

Ok. Three mods have posted here. I suggest if they don't mind that one of them draft a set of rules, based on what consensus has emerged here rather than on their own preferences, and that others be given a few days to approve or dissent. In their draft they might enshrine their own preferred rule where there is neither consensus nor a clear majority.
    Incidentally I for one wouldn't be telling you all that I won't be posting again if you include a rule that I don't like. If I did I would expect to be told that that's my problem, and if I quietly walked away some of you might even say " good riddance."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Ok. Three mods have posted here. I suggest if they don't mind that one of them draft a set of rules, based on what consensus has emerged here rather than on their own preferences, and that others be given a few days to approve or dissent. In their draft they might enshrine their own preferred rule where there is neither consensus nor a clear majority.
    Incidentally I for one wouldn't be telling you all that I won't be posting again if you include a rule that I don't like. If I did I would expect to be told that that's my problem, and if I quietly walked away some of you might even say " good riddance."
    Here here
    *bangs table*

If that's a reference to what I posted, I was just pointing out that I don't visit that forum.

I think in the original incarnation of this thread the rules said aerial views were allowed, so I am going to try one to see how it goes. If people prefer to keep it to StreetView or any other issues let me know and I'll post a different image...

I'm happy enough for aerial views to be allowed.

• Advertisement

Unlimited
    I am not a fan of the scattergun approach but if the image/ village is very obscure and contains little visual clues then I think the scattergun should be allowed.

Some posters like to reveal a lot and some like to be very coy.

Ideally the image posted should contain clues - and the number of guesses - should be limited in a spirit of equal match to the image that was posted! So if the image is obscure then more guesses and a hot/ cold approach should be used - otherwise how can the correct village/town/city be guessed at!

I am not a fan of the scattergun approach but if the image/ village is very obscure and contains little visual clues then I think the scattergun should be allowed.
    Some posters like to reveal a lot and some like to be very coy.
    Ideally the image posted should contain clues - and the number of guesses - should be limited in a spirit of equal match to the image that was posted! So if the image is obscure then more guesses and a hot/ cold approach should be used - otherwise how can the correct village/town/city be guessed at!

It would be well nigh impossible to formulate a rule based on this. Who decides or how is it deemed that an image is obscure?

Unlimited
    It would be well nigh impossible to formulate a rule based on this. Who decides or how is it deemed that an image is obscure!

Well one of the issues we received complaints about was pics of obscure housing estates that noone could ever possibly get unless they actually lived there. Some have stated that there should be a landmark of some sort included or at least an area of a town where anyone who is visiting would pass through

Unlimited
    Someone posted earlier that three guesses per day from each poster was a good idea and i agreed with this - but on further reflection I think there should be no hard and fast rule as to how many guesses can be made by each poster when the image is obscure.

The image thats up now is not very obscure in that it is a village and there is a clue in that it is on a crossroads but it is going to be hard to solve without a bit of scatter - gunning and some hints.

What I'm trying to say is that there should be no hard rules because they are hard to enforce!

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭WildWater

Dysart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Someone posted earlier that three guesses per day from each poster was a good idea and i agreed with this - but on further reflection I think there should be no hard and fast rule as to how many guesses can be made by each poster when the image is obscure.

The image thats up now is not very obscure in that it is a village and there is a clue in that it is on a crossroads but it is going to be hard to solve without a bit of scatter - gunning and some hints.

What I'm trying to say is that there should be no hard rules because they are hard to enforce!

Horray I've found the rules thread..

anyhow... how about this... it might avoid the scattergin of people had to analyse..

Every picture must have at least 1 visual clue contained in it that has to be identified whilst guessing...

It'll probably come to a point where everyone mentions the clue but how bad (like 'naming the last-card' rule in lives)

Then it would help people who havn;t a clue.... and slow down the 'uncle travelling mac's' who have years of itchy feet to rely on.!

Ok then. Based on what has been posted here would one of you post a set of rules for discussion,

Unlimited
    Ok then. Based on what has been posted here would one of you post a set of rules for discussion,

One of who? You've been here long enough to know how the site works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErvgV4P6Fzc

• Advertisement

One of who?
    I suggest, if you haven't already done so, that you read post 48 here. If you have already done so I suggest that you read it again to refresh your memory.
    You've been here long enough to know how the site works.
    -v-
    "I don't want to jump into a thread and start making rules for the regulars as it is more your thread than mine and has never generated anything in the way of trouble but if a few of you want to draft a few ground rules I would be happy to put them into post number 1."
    That's a very long-winded way of conveying nothing.

Finally, do it any way you want. I'm outa here. I've better things to be doing than contributing to this and getting talked down to for my trouble. Thanks for the civility.

Advertisement