Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snobby Artist sues love/hate!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

dar100 wrote: »

I have them in a cellar, would you care to come see them, it's a dark cellar:D

Sounds like a date.

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

yeah think so,he also had a hard on for gentle john gilligan too.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

Nemeses wrote: »
    Sounds like a date.

PM sent.

Your so romantic:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

dar100 wrote: »
    Your so romantic:D

You've no idea what you've let yourself in for :pac:

Nemeses wrote: »
    You've no idea what you've let yourself in for :pac:

I like surprises, they excite me, much:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Rachiee wrote: »
    I remember when utv were filming in my house before for the irish come dine with me auditions they had to take a list of all the art work on the wall so that if the clip was used it could be cleared for copywrite so there obviously is something in his claim. Dont think its reasonable for him to have a problem with it though. Hes one of the countries most popular artists. I cant see rich people stopping buying his work just because they seen it on love hate.

That's because you could have copyright prints on your walls. An original artwork is different. I could see people not buying his art due to the connection.

Although I am not sure how copyright works for original art work you own. Not sure if you own an art work you have all copyright protection to put it on merchandise. The artist must retain some rights for use of their name etc... Especially if you consider many artists use a theme that can often create very similar works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭MonstaMash

kylith wrote: »
    Or is it that he doesn't want his pictures associated with drug taking?

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Garda+probe+Sharkey+dope+smoking+allegations.-a0107732481 :eek: ;):p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Gatling wrote: »
    But taxpayers in ballymum are subsidising his tax breaks

ballymun? Paying tax?.Oh man you crack me up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Maybe he has a point. If his paintings get associated with the gangster art, he might not be able to sell them to his intended audience. Also "the lads in ballymun" probably wouldn't buy them anyway.

Its kind of like those Scarface prints in a frame. At one stage (many years ago) that was a cool film buff thing to do. Now its every scumbag who wants to be gangster or a rapper has one hanging in his bedroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The guy wants a few quid - whats the issue ? He should get paid, same as any band or artist that gets used on the soundtrack.

He was surely paid when the picture was purchased ? If I buy one of his paintings and hang it in my home or office, do I need to to take note of the number of people who view it and send a cheque to him based on this every year ?

And why has it taken him so long to decide to sue, surely the popularity of the show has nothing to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Are you implying there all unemployed bums

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Lot of people misunderstanding basic copyright here. The artist (be it a photographer, musician or painter) owns the right to make copies of their work or exploit it commercially, no one else has that right. If RTE bought a painting they bought a physical object, they don't automatically inherit the right to make copies of that work or use it commercially. Using the painting in a TV show is exploiting it for commercial purposes. You can't use a song on the soundtrack just because you bought the CD, either.
    TBH this smacks of the same sort of Mé Fein stuff that wedding photographers do where they hang on to the copyright so the can fleece the guests as well. :mad:

You mean when they exercise their legal right to gain income from copies of their photography, which is how they pay their bills and recoup the immense cost of their equipment? What a load of ingrates! Idiots should know that you have the right to their photographs just because you attended the wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Of course he's entitled to be pi$$ed off. Sharkey's a brand, aiming to appeal to a particular demographic.
    “Having my work portrayed as liked by a dangerous killer and drug addict is the problem. It might seem cool to the lads in Ballymun, but they don’t buy my paintings.”

By associating his product with a particular lifestyle, viewership and audience, RTE has potentially damaged his saleability among those who had traditionally bought his pieces.

Yes we pay tax on our illegal earnings dumb ass, we get good rates

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

Gatling wrote: »
    Are you implying there all unemployed bums

This will be a very popular opinion on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Headline: 'Stupid man complains about free advertising'

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

Those paintings having been in love hate will probably be worth an absolute fortune in the third party market. That is probably annoying the **** out of him too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

The IRA will be suing next :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Anyone wrote: »
    Avatar are suing after what Fran did to yer one.
    Funny you should mention Avatar.They're all at this sueing lark, those artists.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/07/01/brit_artist_sues_iavatari_for_50m/

I cant remember who it was that said a while back that 'Rashers' paintings were like something Quentin Tarantino would buy so im surprised some of his work wasnt bought by the producers for the show.

Sharkey's lawsuit has a thinly veiled sense of 'I done those in case you didnt know' about it.

• Advertisement

The IRA will be suing next :rolleyes:

Didnt they throw a brick or something through the front of the RTE building in Montrose with a note tied to it stating that the "Irish Republican Army consist of respectable family men who are disgusted with how they are being portrayed...." etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Didnt they throw a brick or something through the front of the RTE building in Montrose with a note tied to it stating that the "Irish Republican Army consist of respectable family men who are disgusted with how they are being portrayed...." etc?

Lol, I think it was actually a pipe bomb minus the fuse, a demonstration of their great restraint in the face of adversity :pac:

Courtcase be come craic though, fella in the balaclava asked by the judge if he represents the IRA "I can neither confirm nor deny that accusation".

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The guy wants a few quid - whats the issue ? He should get paid, same as any band or artist that gets used on the soundtrack.

Its nothing like the same thing.

He painted a picture and sold it. Everything to do with the picture should belong to whoever bought it.

Newsflash: Carrick Swan GAA club in County Tipperary are set to sue over
    Luke battering a Swan to death
    Local rivals Carrick Davins on the other hand wish to try Luke at full forward next game

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

BadCharlie wrote: »
    Ford will sue now, cause the drug dealers on the show are showing driving in ford cars.
    Next it will be Coke suing

Interesting to see the new channel 4 drama southcliffe has blocked out car logos on steering wheels etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Its nothing like the same thing.

He painted a picture and sold it. Everything to do with the picture should belong to whoever bought it.

RTE are entitled to burn it if they wish to. More sensibly, they could also place it in the foyer out in Montrose. They're not entitled to reproduce it electronically or digitally for profit. RTE cocked up and should have used a long dead artist. Rembrandt isn't suing these days and is popular with local crimelords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

He looks quite different to his days in The Undertones.

Is it all the hard living?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I would hardly Sharkey snobby OP.
    The remark he supposedly made about Ballymun does make him an a*sehole, and a snob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

I'm assuming he sold them and got paid already?

Edit:
    I see the explanantion posted above.

• Advertisement

Sharkey has form when it comes to causing a bit of a stir. He makes that quip about Ballymun but asks us for perspective when it comes to judging Katie Price to be the most hated woman in Britain. :rolleyes:

http://metro.co.uk/2010/02/02/katie-price-transformed-into-hated-moors-murderer-myra-hindley-70067/

Advertisement