Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simply electronics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭im...LOST

I've used One Stop Digital twice in the past and they are very, very cheap for photo gear.

They let you claim your vat back if you get caught at customs. One of my lenses were then the other one wasn't so it's a bit of pot luck there...

Maybe worth a look if you are looking for cheap gear?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Its simple- steer clear of simply electronics.

It's not that simple. I've bought from them at an unbeatable prices with no complaints. Delivery delays can be a bit frustrating, but if that doesn't suit you, you should pay more to shop somewhere else.

Personally I prefer Onestop-digital and Amazon, because I don't mind paying that little bit extra to kill my impatience. ....before I have a hissyfit on the internet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Its simple- steer clear of simply electronics.

Even more simple to go into the purchase with knowledge. Never assume any company will deliver within the specified timeframe etc etc

If i wanted an item in my hand in one day, i'd buy in a shop, if im prepared to wait a week or two and save a 100e give or take, i'll buy with SE, Amazon etc

I saved 75e by buying my 50mm lens and filter from SE, and had it with 8 working days, which by all acounts is not long at all.

bottom line, advice i would give to anybody is go with your own personal opinion, if you have a paranoia about online shops etc, buy in store. to some people, they dont mind spending an extra 50e to buy in store and have something that day, which is fine, but then you have some people that say, "feck that", that 50e will get me out for a few beers next week :D so we buy online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 floody2010

Did you do any reading up on them before ordering?
    NO,I didn't do any research on them before ordering.Only started when they started messing me around!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

As I've already posted in the previous SE threads (this one is a complete zombie thread from 2009) I've bought and a friend has bought expensive L lenses from SE without any great difficulty - apart from them being a bit slower than they promise.

If you're going to buy from them, be prepared for a bit of a wait.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭McVitae

floody2010 wrote: »
    Dont touch these with a barge pole.Ordered a camera on 27th of december which they said was in stock.Had to wait until 4th of january until my order was verified.After numerous attempts to contact them through their customer helpline (dublin number but transfers you to a hong kong call center)and via email i discovered they did not have my camera in stock (their website still showed 6 items in stock) and they could not give me a delivery date.Hence i cancelled my order on 16 of january only to be told i would have to wait 5 business days to recieve my refund.Eventually after getting pay pal involved i got my money back.definitely after years of shopping online the worst company i have ever experienced

the exact same thing happened me. Only difference is I ordered 4 days earlier than floody2010. Got my money refunded easy enough but had to demand the order be cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

Ordered an in stock phone off them on Jan 9th. Left them for a while before following up to see had it even shipped.

Then the rubbish started, 'oh we're just snowed under with orders thanks to all our great offers'. Couldn't give me a date for when it would ship despite looking into my order and making it a priority blah blah blah.

Twice asked for a refund with no reply. Escalated it to Paypal, had my money back in my account 10 minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

whyulittle wrote: »
    Ordered an in stock phone off them on Jan 9th. Left them for a while before following up to see had it even shipped.

Then the rubbish started, 'oh we're just snowed under with orders thanks to all our great offers'. Couldn't give me a date for when it would ship despite looking into my order and making it a priority blah blah blah.

Twice asked for a refund with no reply. Escalated it to Paypal, had my money back in my account 10 minutes later.

As I said in my previous post I started getting nervous when not alone had they not shipped within 3 weeks of me ordering but they didn't even know when they would have the item in stock! Needless to say the phone at this point in time is still advertised as being delivered in "1-2 business days" on the front page of their website. I had already sent them a few emails so as soon as I heard this I requested a refund which they did within 48 hours so can't fault them there. I did mention that I'd be reporting my experience of them on various online discussion boards etc, seemed to speed them up a bit:pac: The money went straight back onto my credit card through paypal which was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Just out of curiosity, what's the story with the warranty on cameras and lenses bought from Simply Electronics? I've seen a lot of these places shipping from out of HK don't offer a manufacturers warranty, just some 3rd party thing.

gloobag wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what's the story with the warranty on cameras and lenses bought from Simply Electronics? I've seen a lot of these places shipping from out of HK don't offer a manufacturers warranty, just some 3rd party thing.

Warranty is 1 year with SE themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Simply Electronics is, a leading online electronic goods retailer based in Hong Kong. They acknowledge they have had service issues, and have put resources in place to resolve them. They have made a commitment to a monitored Proof of Quality initiative to verify their standards and to add new levels of reassurance to consumers.

This has resulted in the swift resolution of cases that have to date utilised the new resources. The cases reported thus far have been an extremely small percentage of the overall customer number and any customer with concerns about the company is urged to use the resources now available.

Please go to the Simply Electronics website - http://www.simplyelectronics.net/ and click on the Proof of Quality seal in Security section for more details.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYY0e0326hv_-RVjrsT92ytYJgNk_sXWDUPUV2mWl2Uaa3sv-n

kceire wrote: »
    Even more simple to go into the purchase with knowledge. Never assume any company will deliver within the specified timeframe etc etc

If i wanted an item in my hand in one day, i'd buy in a shop, if im prepared to wait a week or two and save a 100e give or take, i'll buy with SE, Amazon etc

I saved 75e by buying my 50mm lens and filter from SE, and had it with 8 working days, which by all acounts is not long at all.

bottom line, advice i would give to anybody is go with your own personal opinion, if you have a paranoia about online shops etc, buy in store. to some people, they dont mind spending an extra 50e to buy in store and have something that day, which is fine, but then you have some people that say, "feck that", that 50e will get me out for a few beers next week :D so we buy online.

You must be lucky and one of the handful of lucky people thats out there.
    Have you googled (is simply electronics safe)..??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Gav689908

This is for anyone who is considering buying anything from simply electronics, They are a disgrace, Ordered a sony ericsson phone off them on the 21 Dec 2011 and as of now they still have not even dispatched my item, after numerous phone calls and e mails, still no phone. 4 weeks later and still not dispatched. Iv just ordered them to refund my paypal account so my advice stay away from these GANGSTERS.

You must be lucky and one of the handful of lucky people thats out there.
    Have you googled (is simply electronics safe)..??

No, theres a good few lucky ones on here too. I wouldnt mind if it was a sole case, but 3 separate orders for me went smoothly.

I googled SE before i bought, but figured it was all hype, and keyboard moan bags moaning because the website said 5-7 days, so when it was 37 seconds passed the 7th day, they were up in arms.

I just figured i was paying by paypal, so i covered at 2 ends, through paypal, and my CC company (MBNA).

im a savvy shopper, and i understand others are not fully clued up to the net and public reviews and would be hesitant to use them but for me, i have a canon 550d, canon 18-135 lens and canon 50mm lens on my sofa for less than the cost to buy the camera with kit lens here in Dublin. For that alone, it was worth it for me.

Gav689908 wrote: »
    This is for anyone who is considering buying anything from simply electronics, They are a disgrace, Ordered a sony ericsson phone off them on the 21 Dec 2011 and as of now they still have not even dispatched my item, after numerous phone calls and e mails, still no phone. 4 weeks later and still not dispatched. Iv just ordered them to refund my paypal account so my advice stay away from these GANGSTERS.

Find the transaction in your PayPal account, and open a dispute through them directly.

Ordered my phone through Amazon yesterday, despatched today. How about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭bigjohn66

No, theres a good few lucky ones on here too. I wouldnt mind if it was a sole case, but 3 separate orders for me went smoothly.

I googled SE before i bought, but figured it was all hype, and keyboard moan bags moaning because the website said 5-7 days, so when it was 37 seconds passed the 7th day, they were up in arms.

I just figured i was paying by paypal, so i covered at 2 ends, through paypal, and my CC company (MBNA).

im a savvy shopper, and i understand others are not fully clued up to the net and public reviews and would be hesitant to use them but for me, i have a canon 550d, canon 18-135 lens and canon 50mm lens on my sofa for less than the cost to buy the camera with kit lens here in Dublin. For that alone, it was worth it for me.

That is all fine but I hope you don’t have any problems with any product you bought. You do not have a manufactures warrantee so you are relying on them to repair it which dose not always happen. They could not repair a lens belonging to a friend of mine and offered him a 50% refund.

If all goes well with them then fine but they have two major flaws. Delivery times and warrantee. I can live with delivery times if I know about it or can cancel my order if it goes too long but I would not like to spend hundred or even thousands of Euro with them and find I have at best a shoddy warrantee if something goes wrong with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ratsathome

Did the same as Gav.Ordered a phone on 6 Jan.Not shiped up to this morning.Sent email for cancelation and refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

My experience with SimplyElectronics was similar to many other people here: I ordered an item which was in stock, and advertised as "Usually Ships in 1-2 Business Days". The website stated that "The delivery process is normally completed within 2-7 working days".

However, I had read some threads around the forums and was prepared to wait up to 3 weeks for delivery. After 2 weeks, and no dispatch email, I contacted them. They said they were very busy and would upgrade my shipping to Express Delivery. I contacted them again after another week, and they said they were "still unable to give an estimated dispatch date", so I cancelled my order.

The fact that they couldn't even supply an estimated dispatch date 3 weeks after taking my money is quite absurd.

point taken but it seems to be the camera stuff they actually can deliver within estimated guidelines,after that its a no no..

point taken but it seems to be the camera stuff they actually can deliver within estimated guidelines,after that its a no no..

yeah ive been getting that vibe too.
    Ive never ordered anything else other than camera gear so cant comment on it. Strange one in fairness :confused:

Its amazing that one company can be so good in one transaction, and so bad in another :confused:

• Advertisement

yeah ive been getting that vibe too.
    Ive never ordered anything else other than camera gear so cant comment on it. Strange one in fairness :confused:

Its amazing that one company can be so good in one transaction, and so bad in another :confused:

I rang them one day to find out where phones cane from and who they got them off and the girl was as snotty as hell,one thing for sure most products are gray products which im sure you know what they are.
    And its typical that they join a forum where they see bad news been spread ive seen it on countless forums,mainly phone forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭rickyjb

It'd be interesting to know if anyone here has actually successfully bought a phone off them, or anything that's not camera related??

Seems to be a trend that they don't have any phones in stock, ever, but they still charge you when you order them. Free short term loans for the company maybe?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ratsathome

My cousin bought 2 phones and he waited about 4 1/2 weeks for them to come.His brother in law bought one two,he waited just over 3 weeks.

I rang them one day to find out where phones cane from and who they got them off and the girl was as snotty as hell,

TBH, i can see why, if somebody cold called me and asked where i was getting my stock from, i'd be a little hesitant myself to give out that infomation.
    one thing for sure most products are gray products which im sure you know what they are.

Yep, grey imports alright, i dont have a problem with that, but then again i understand what the term means. I mean i imported 3 cars from Japan during the boom, all of which were grey imports too, the important thing is that they are genuine products and replacement parts wildly available here or online if anything goes wrong out of warranty.

The products i bought were shipped from their UK base and any warranty returns, i have to ship it back to the UK, but thats the chance i took against the savings i made (now as i continue to keep my fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong with them!)
    And its typical that they join a forum where they see bad news been spread ive seen it on countless forums,mainly phone forums.

yeah i seen that post too, i wouldnt take any notice to it, and would class it as trolling tbh unless they made a genuine effort to contribute in the forum and maybe chase up posters and their orders and provide some info on what went wrong.

Just to finish my story, got my new phone from Amazon today. Ordered on Monday, shipped from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I bought a phone off them a while back, it delivered in about two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 thelagg2000

I ordered an Archos 70 250gb from simply electronics last Friday(20/01/12) and had it delivered to me in Donegal on Monday morning(30/01/12) by DHL. It cost €168 thats alot cheaper than anybody else, so I think 5 working days to wait for my tablet was well worth the wait.I read the reviews for simply electronics which were mixed but I had no problems at all. I paid by Paypal so you cant go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cbyrne11

I ordered an Archos 70 250gb from simply electronics last Friday(20/01/12) and had it delivered to me in Donegal on Monday morning(30/01/12) by DHL. It cost €168 thats alot cheaper than anybody else, so I think 5 working days to wait for my tablet was well worth the wait.I read the reviews for simply electronics which were mixed but I had no problems at all. I paid by Paypal so you cant go wrong.

Guess it's just luck of the draw, ordered a phone off them on the 11th of this month still waiting, have emailed them and gotten lots of replies but nothing with regards of any substance yet!

Can I ask did it come with a proper warranty? Thinking of cancelling and paying the extra 50 quid to get a proper warranty!

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cbyrne11

cbyrne11 wrote: »
    Guess it's just luck of the draw, ordered a phone off them on the 11th of this month still waiting, have emailed them and gotten lots of replies but nothing with regards of any substance yet!

Can I ask did it come with a proper warranty? Thinking of cancelling and paying the extra 50 quid to get a proper warranty!

Decided to cancel as it's been far to long and I was weary of them by now and in fairness they refunded within an hour or so of opening a despute on paypal. Don't know if it would have been as handy if I hadn't used paypal!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Warranty is 1 year with SE themselves.
    this alone would be enough to keep me from ever buying from them.

Advertisement