Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

gillad wrote: »
    Its always best to run the flex flue the whole length of the chimney.Its probably best for your wallet to run it only halfway up but its not as safe...the infill insulation is not essential as the flexi flue is doing the job,so it is only recommended in an extra cold chimney..i.e a chimey on an external wall.
    I haven't heard anything about the 150mm flexi flue regulations so i cant advise you on that.....has your stove a 200mm outlet?....if it has then the flexi flue must be 200mm

Thanks gillad. The top vent is 197mm so I’ll use a 200mm liner for the full length. The chimney is on an internal wall. Is the liner fitted from the top down usually? Would it be wise to have a solid SS pipe for a metre or so at the stove end abd then fit the flexi??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

Thanks gillad. The top vent is 197mm so I’ll use a 200mm liner for the full length. The chimney is on an internal wall. Is the liner fitted from the top down usually? Would it be wise to have a solid SS pipe for a metre or so at the stove end abd then fit the flexi??

You cant fit the flexi straight to the stove so a metre or more of ss is usual.
    The flexi can be fitted top down or vice versa,,what ever is easier.

You mentioned that you would prefer an inset stove,I wouldn't recommend one as they can go wrong with the heat being lost up the chimney.they look good and fit into existing fireplaces but heat wise a freestanding stove is the best source of heat....If you want an inset then a boiler inset is better because the heat is caught in the water and brought to the rads.

gillad wrote: »
    You cant fit the flexi straight to the stove so a metre or more of ss is usual.
    The flexi can be fitted top down or vice versa,,what ever is easier.

You mentioned that you would prefer an inset stove,I wouldn't recommend one as they can go wrong with the heat being lost up the chimney.they look good and fit into existing fireplaces but heat wise a freestanding stove is the best source of heat....If you want an inset then a boiler inset is better because the heat is caught in the water and brought to the rads.

Aaaaaaagh Gillad, You’ve put me back to the drawing board……….:mad::mad::)
    I don’t want a boiler stove as I have underfloor heating and it would be impossible to plumb one in. The room is almost 100 M3 with big windows so 7kw minimum.

I started out looking for a ‘horizontal’ freestanding rear vent stove measuring max size of mm 700 x 530 x 400 (W x H x D) as I would prefer to keep the existing fireplace if possible. I also believed that freestanding would have better convection and radiated heat. But an output of 10kw remains the same whether it is insert or freestanding, so I presume there is more fuel required for an insert to reach and maintain that output?

I switched to looking at insert stoves because I could not find a freestanding one that would look good against the fireplace. The most appropriate insert types are Cassette stoves.(Also, my logsplitter takes up to 400mm so most of my logs are 350-380mm.)

Are you aware of any freestanding stove that is more horizontal than vertical? Otherwise I need to rethink pulling out the fireplace which is sure to break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭gillad

Aaaaaaagh Gillad, You’ve put me back to the drawing board……….:mad::mad::)
    I don’t want a boiler stove as I have underfloor heating and it would be impossible to plumb one in. The room is almost 100 M3 with big windows so 7kw minimum.

I started out looking for a ‘horizontal’ freestanding rear vent stove measuring max size of mm 700 x 530 x 400 (W x H x D) as I would prefer to keep the existing fireplace if possible. I also believed that freestanding would have better convection and radiated heat. But an output of 10kw remains the same whether it is insert or freestanding, so I presume there is more fuel required for an insert to reach and maintain that output?

I switched to looking at insert stoves because I could not find a freestanding one that would look good against the fireplace. The most appropriate insert types are Cassette stoves.(Also, my logsplitter takes up to 400mm so most of my logs are 350-380mm.)

Are you aware of any freestanding stove that is more horizontal than vertical? Otherwise I need to rethink pulling out the fireplace which is sure to break.

If you can insulate the cassette type stove and stop the heat from going up the chimney or into the surrounding blockwork then it will work fine because the only place for the heat to go then is into your room....with some careful thought by you and the installer you can get an inset to work at full capacity

read the thread here called "stove not heating room"....the problem stoves are inset stoves

Thanks gillad, I appreciate the time you’ve spent on this.

Currently the fireplace has a precast ‘hood’ with a central flue so there is room for the top of an insert stove to be heavily insulated. At present ope size is 550mm high x 620 wide x 460 deep. If necessary it can be made 200mm wider by the removal of the firebricks on either side (behind them is solid concrete) so there would be room to use insulation material.

I think I will research 10kw freestanding stoves again and see what seems feasible, then make a hardboard mock-up and see how it looks against the fireplace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Zebrano

40113251661_44a2aa2293_c.jpgUntitled by stephen harborne, on Flickr

Hi all
    Can some on recommend A multi fuel stove that would be suitable for this fireplace.
    No back boiler needed
    Room is about 17sqm
    No permanent vent in room
    What would a rough cost be
    Thanks
    Zebrano

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Can anyone recommend a good vendor for a mantlepiece for a freestanding stove? we have to take down our wooden fire surround because it is too close to the stove.

regards
    Stovepipe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭taytobreath

Is it possible to upgrade from a Stanley oisin to a bigger stove without having to alter the part where the chimney connects to the back of the stove.
    If the back connection is a different height then the Stanley oisin then that's a big undertaking to go and alter that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Zebrano wrote: »
    40113251661_44a2aa2293_c.jpgUntitled by stephen harborne, on Flickr

Hi all
    Can some on recommend A multi fuel stove that would be suitable for this fireplace.
    No back boiler needed
    Room is about 17sqm
    No permanent vent in room
    What would a rough cost be
    Thanks
    Zebrano

Maybe a heat design vitae? I have one in a similar fire place, went in recently not used much yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Is it OK ask for recommendations for installers here?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Kalyke wrote: »
    Is it OK ask for recommendations for installers here?

Yes, so long as those replying with suggestions do so by PM

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kalyke

I am looking for recommendations for an experienced installer in the Cork/Waterford area please. Thanks.

MOD NOTE: Any detailed answers by PM

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Kalyke wrote: »
    I am looking for recommendations for an experienced installer in the Cork/Waterford area please. Thanks.

MOD NOTE: Any detailed answers by PM

Have a look here

http://www.orielflues.com/hetas-training/hetas-installers/

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Shoobs86

howdy peeps. I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times. Im buying a house that currently has two stoves - one with "back boiler". I'm not sure that they are going to leave the stoves when they sell though, so I'm researching new ones just in case.

I have no clue, just so you know.

What is a multi fuel stove? as in what are the fuels and can you not burn more than one thing in the other ones?

What's the story with the "stove with back boiler" - do I need to buy a specific type of stove to replace this?

I think that's it. I will get someone to install them for me if needs be.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

Shoobs86 wrote: »
    What is a multi fuel stove?

A stove that can burn either wood or coal.
    What's the story with the "stove with back boiler"

Back Boiler stoves provide some heat to the room they are installed in but will also provide heat to the radiators within the house. This will supplement any existing central heating.

The other stove you will have will be a room heat only stove.

irishbuzz wrote: »
    A stove that can burn either wood or coal.

Back Boiler stoves provide some heat to the room they are installed in but will also provide heat to the radiators within the house. This will supplement any existing central heating.

The other stove you will have will be a room heat only stove.

Thank you very, very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭irishbuzz

Thank you very, very much :)

No problem. This thread has been helpful to me too in the past so happy to give a little back

• Registered Users Posts: 21,196 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Highly unusual for stoves to be removed and would be part of the sale price, esp if described in the sales brochure
    The white goods, fridge, washing machine etc, would probably not be, as they are easily moved and not permanently fitted. However many sellers allow the purchasers an option to buy these, at a reasonable price.

A stove is a 'fixture', so it is 'part' of the house and must be left. Chandeliers, fridges and free-standing cookers are 'fittings' and may be removed. If they are installed in a fitted kitchen (e.g. built-in fridge with door matching presses) you should clarify with the agent.

Thanks everyone. Yes, I had assumed that they would be included. Maybe they will. When they sent me the contracts it said that no appliances were included - which is grand - but of course I googled whether stoves are considered a fixture or not and google made me paranoid :) cannot wait to have a stove, would be nice on a day like today! Lots of snow in Limerick this morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 EvanUpwards

Hey guys,

I'm looking for recommendations for stove fuel. Since installing the stove I have burned almost everything bar coal. It's a multifuel stove but I don't want to burn coal. In terms of heat I've had success with kiln dried beech and wood briquettes i bought in aldi. Both seemed good but I liked the briquettes as storage seems easier.

Anyone use wood briquettes and if so what type and where to get them?I'm in Dublin city. I've looked online and there are a lot of different types.

Also what any recommendations for a stove fan?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Hey guys,

I'm looking for recommendations for stove fuel. Since installing the stove I have burned almost everything bar coal. It's a multifuel stove but I don't want to burn coal. In terms of heat I've had success with kiln dried beech and wood briquettes i bought in aldi. Both seemed good but I liked the briquettes as storage seems easier.

Anyone use wood briquettes and if so what type and where to get them?I'm in Dublin city. I've looked online and there are a lot of different types.

Also what any recommendations for a stove fan?

Thanks

Do you have a big garage/area that you can store fuel? or you limited to where you can store fuel?

Buying in bulk is best option but you are taking about pallet size deliveries so need space to store and easy access if possible or you will be doing a lot of moving by hand

• Registered Users Posts: 30 EvanUpwards

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Do you have a big garage/area that you can store fuel? or you limited to where you can store fuel?

Buying in bulk is best option but you are taking about pallet size deliveries so need space to store and easy access if possible or you will be doing a lot of moving by hand

I have space out the back of the house but nothing to shelter the wood as of yet. I plan to have a large shed out there by the summer but for the next couple of months I was thinking about the wood briquettes as they seem to mostly come plastic wrapped. Any thoughts on these?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭CD2017

Someone has recommended a Stovax stove as we are looking for something contemporary... any recent experience of them? TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

CD2017 wrote: »
    Someone has recommended a Stovax stove as we are looking for something contemporary... any recent experience of them? TIA

I have the Riva 55, great stove have had no issues with it. Have had some issues with chimney and draw but they've been largely resolved now. Don't think they were stove related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Just wondering, I have Green 8kW solid fuel stove, was installed in house when I bought it. Works perfectly after I fixed the flue. Anyway the other evening I heard a loud bang. No idea what it was.....didnt really think much of it

Today was cleaning it out and one of the back steel/iron panels is bent. Looks like it popped out and busted into the grate....not sure if you can see from pics.

I checked back of stove and it is not affected, I guess this is not an issue? anyone seen this before? what might have caused it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Barr

Hi All

I am looking at buying a Henley Elite G1 multifuel at present.

Does anyone have advise /opinion on that particular stove ?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Barr wrote: »
    Hi All

I am looking at buying a Henley Elite G1 multifuel at present.

Does anyone have advise /opinion on that particular stove ?

Good stove but not really a multi fuel even though they say it is. If buying I’d advise only burning dry wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,998 ✭✭✭Barr

Forge83 wrote: »
    Good stove but not really a multi fuel even though they say it is. If buying I’d advise only burning dry wood.

Thanks Forge , could you expand on that a bit. The sales guy said I could burn coal etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Forge83

Barr wrote: »
    Thanks Forge , could you expand on that a bit. The sales guy said I could burn coal etc.

The sales guy is only reading from the brochure. Anybody with knowledge on stoves who would inspect this stove would tell you it’s design and materials used won’t hold upto coal in the long term. I’m sure also if you requested a test cert from the salesman, he will provide you with one where wood was used and not coal.
    That’s not a fault on the stove, it’s a quality stove. Just not made for the madness of Irish people who want to burn coal in every stove.
    No good room heating stove should require coal to heat sufficiently.

Advertisement