Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer questions you'd be embarrassed to ask any where else!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I hope someone can advise me please. I want to make an Excel spreadsheet so it cannot be altered. I realise I can save it as 'read-only'. But can I be absolutely sure no alterations can be made to the file? This file has details which several people will need to consult but I want to ensure no-one messes up my work. If someone wants to undo my 'read only' then surely they can if they know how.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    I hope someone can advise me please. I want to make an Excel spreadsheet so it cannot be altered. I realise I can save it as 'read-only'. But can I be absolutely sure no alterations can be made to the file? This file has details which several people will need to consult but I want to ensure no-one messes up my work. If someone wants to undo my 'read only' then surely they can if they know how.

Used to be able to do that under Tools> Protection> Protect Worksheet

I haven't got excel installed so I can't double check right now

Thank you Grimebox. I see I can protect the worksheet with a password. Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Thank you Grimebox. I see I can protect the worksheet with a password. Many thanks.
    From past experience remember to make and keep a copy of the unprotected spreadsheet first. :o

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Either you are concerned about accidental or un-thinking changes (in which case the password or Read-only status is fine).

Or you are concerned about malign intentions or deliberate alteration in which case the password is a speedbump at best.

You could save it as PDF which is inherently read only but the same thing kinda applies... if someone wants to falsify numbers, they'll find a way.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement

Thanks Devore. The PDF thingy came to mind as well. I'm not worried about any intentional changes, but some of the folk using this file are not very experienced on d'ould computer and they could click any darn thing and not realise what they have done.

Poor Goatsy, you are looking a tad embarrassed. Forgot to make a copy didja, didja, huh, huh? I feels yer pain. :D

Thank you all you clever clogs!

Anything important that I'm working on automatically gets uploaded to dropbox these days. Unless dropbox falls off the face of the earth, I will never experience that pain again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Grimebox wrote: »
    Anything important that I'm working on automatically gets uploaded to dropbox these days. Unless dropbox falls off the face of the earth, I will never experience that pain again :pac:

Is that easy to use? How much storage do you get?

Eeden wrote: »
    Is that easy to use? How much storage do you get?

I think the default free account is 2gb. It's easy to use. When your installing, you pick a folder that will be your "dropbox". Then anything in that folder gets automatically uploaded to their cloud storage. You can sign into their website from any computer and download those files.

I have everything college related in that folder so when my laptop got stolen a year ago, I had everything already backed up.

You could easily email yourself important documents as you go but dropbox is very convenient, and I am forgetful.

Think I will look into that Dropbox as well. I usually email important documents to myself but I like the idea of owning my own little cloud. Sounds ideal for things like photographs and accounts etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Think I will look into that Dropbox as well. I usually email important documents to myself but I like the idea of owning my own little cloud. Sounds ideal for things like photographs and accounts etc.

if you've an email account with google or MS they give you free cloud storage too.
    google is called drive & MS skydrive - you can login to both same way you do your email

& if you've an amazon account they offer you free storage as well

Looks like we are surrounded by clouds so should be enough to go round. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭christmas2010

I got a new tablet device for Christmas. I'd like to put some movies or tv shows that I have on dvd on to it to be able to watch while on holidays. Alternatively can I download from the internet before I travel and watch them off line.
    It can take a micro sd card. Answers in simple terms please! Thanks:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

On your desktop computer or laptop you have an sd slot. With the micro sd you should have gotten an adapter to make the micro bigger.
    2nbt4i0.jpg

Put the sd adapter(with micro sd inserted) in your computer slot. You can then drag and drop movies/tv shows you have on you computer to the sd card.

Some of the adapters have a button on the side with locked/unlocked on them. You need it to be unlocked to copy stuff to it.

Any problems with the above feel free to ask.

Sorry but I still need more help. I save a lot of craft patterns, templates, sample images into folders. I often find in these folders documents with these type of titles:

~WRL1231.tmp
    ~WED2113.tmp

When I try to open one I get this kind of message:

Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc

But sometimes the document does open.

They look like temporary files to me but I never made them and they seem to appear like magic. I just keep deleting them but I keep finding them. Could some friendly expert explain to me why they keep appearing? Remember I am but a child so simple words would be good.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭brevity

Sorry but I still need more help. I save a lot of craft patterns, templates, sample images into folders. I often find in these folders documents with these type of titles:

~WRL1231.tmp
    ~WED2113.tmp

When I try to open one I get this kind of message:

Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc

But sometimes the document does open.

They look like temporary files to me but I never made them and they seem to appear like magic. I just keep deleting them but I keep finding them. Could some friendly expert explain to me why they keep appearing? Remember I am but a child so simple words would be good.:o

These are usually created when the file you are working on has been opened or you have made a change.

I'm pretty sure they are there so that you can revert changes or restore if word crashes unexpectedly.

brevity wrote: »
    These are usually created when the file you are working on has been opened or you have made a change.

I'm pretty sure they are there so that you can revert changes or restore if word crashes unexpectedly.

Thank you, but would you say some computer nerd (like, for example, himself!), has gone and set the contraption to do this automatically, thus flabbergasting MYself day in, and day out, pray tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

I've a problem!

There are blue links appearing on random words that are redirecting to ads on another site.

It's not just happening on Boards.

Checked ad blocker and it's working properly.

Sounds like a toolbar of some description installed itself on your browser. What browser are you using? Reinstalling it should get rid of that

Grimebox wrote: »
    Sounds like a toolbar of some description installed itself on your browser. What browser are you using? Reinstalling it should get rid of that

I'm using chrome.
    What will I do now? :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,206 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I reckon the easiest solution is to do a system restore to the last time you can remember the highlights not being there. What you are doing is taking your system back a couple of days (or hours) to a time when it wasn't happening. It will not make any difference to any emails, work or anything else you have done in the meantime.

On my system (XP) I go to Control Panel - Performance and Maintenance and the system restore icon is on the little panel on the top left of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,986 ✭✭✭✭phog

Chucken wrote: »
    I'm using chrome.

Download malwarebytes and run that, usually sorts me out for stuff like that.

Edited to add, it's free to download and should be updated before running if you have it on your PC already. Also, if you have a stubborn virus and malwarebytes doesn't eliminate it, try doing so again from safe mode and after you update malwarebytes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

phog wrote: »
    Download malwarebytes and run that, usually sorts me out for stuff like that.
    I would second Malwarebytes. Doing a restore won't get rid of the root of the problem.

Chucken wrote: »
    I'm using chrome.
    looksee wrote: »
    I reckon the easiest solution is to do a system restore to the last time you can remember the highlights not being there. What you are doing is taking your system back a couple of days (or hours) to a time when it wasn't happening. It will not make any difference to any emails, work or anything else you have done in the meantime.

On my system (XP) I go to Control Panel - Performance and Maintenance and the system restore icon is on the little panel on the top left of the page.

System restore is over kill imo.

Using chrome, go into the settings by clicking up at the top right. Go into extensions from there, there should be an extension in there that installed itself. If you can't find anything like that, do what phog said. Sure do what phog said anyway, it can't hurt!

I handed the computer over to my son and he sorted it.

Apparently I have a habit of downloading rubbish :o

I think what he said I had was spyware?!

All fixed now, thanks everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Stop downloading soup recipes Chuck xxx

Rubecula wrote: »
    Stop downloading soup recipes Chuck xxx

No.

:p

So sorry, it's me again. :o This is probably not possible, but I have a ton of bookmarks on one computer. Is there any way of transferring them to another computer? I'm hoping I don't have to type up a list and re-visit them all on the other computer to bookmark them again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Shouldn't be a problem.

What browser are you using? Chrome / firefox / (ugh) Internet explorer? :)

They can all export bookmarks and import to another PC.

• Advertisement

I'm using Firefox. Delighted to know its possible. How?

Advertisement