Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Fantasy Trilogy/series/Book?

Options
  • 15-04-2002 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭

ok not sure if this should go in the litature thread..but hey.i'm not going cross posting.
    so what do you think?My personal favourites are
    Trilogy: The Cycle Of Fire by Janny Wurts
    Series: A Song if Fire and Ice By Geroge R.R. Martin(well it started out as a trilogy..but the last part has 2 books?)
    Book:Master of Whitestorm By Janny Wurts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Terminator

A song of Ice and Fire was never meant to be a trilogy (and thank god for that!). Book 4 should be out later this year.

When it comes to trilogies you really can't get better than LOTR - the world Tolkien created was and still is staggering. I could read it a million times and never get tired of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Belgariad for best book series thingey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭SHAMAN

Originally posted by Slydice
    I second that, though I'm glad it wasn't a trilogy. Lot's of details.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Lord of the Rings ended up being a Triliogy i suppose... i would have to say that.. however I would have to say the Belgariad is up there.. as is the daughter of the empire series..

Ruaidhri the cycle of fire series i did not think was all that great.. it was good though.

A Song if Fire and Ice By Geroge R.R. Martin i have not read that yet,.. its on my list along with wheel of time.. just finished most of David eddings books apart from that Athalus one and the riven codex (cant be arsed) and im looking out for Polgara the sorceress....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i have a few favourites :) prob tad williams "memory, sorrow and thorn" and his Otherland series.. and the wheel of time.. if ever it bloody finishes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Hmmm.

I think The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever by Stepten Donaldson has to be my all time fave trilogy.

His writing was second only to Tolkiens in descriptiveness, but he had far, far better characterisation.

Series...Hmmm.....I think I'd go for the Newford chronicles by Charles de Lint. More a connected set of stories than a series, I know, but hey.....

Book. Hmmm. Discounting anything which was in a series of some sort....hmmmmmm. I'll need to think about that.

jc

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Originally posted by Slydice

Good God, the Belgariad is such a pile of crap! :mad:

Okay, perhaps that's a little strong, but the Belgariad is pretty obviously a very basic fantasy series, best suited to kids that are just getting their teeth into fantasy.

If you're looking for a good read then you should check out any of Steven Eriksons books, starting with Gardens of the Moon, or as someone else said George RR Martin rocks too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 leejon

Thomas Covenenant Chronicles.... brilliant.
    The Magician Trilogy by Raymond E. Feist.... excellent!

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Originally posted by bonkey
    Hmmm.

I think The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever by Stepten Donaldson has to be my all time fave trilogy.

His writing was second only to Tolkiens in descriptiveness, but he had far, far better characterisation.

jc

*nod* A good series, although the second series wasn't really up to scratch. Sometimes annoying due to the amount of psycho-babble that went on in it though :)

Still, a good story, and it started me reading his Gap Series, which is by far and away the best Sci-Fi series that I've read :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 leejon

The Dragonbone Chair - Trilogy by Tad Williams. Started off really boring but turned out great. Well worth a read. Memory Sorrow and Thorn.

Also the Blood Of The Fold Series by Terry Goodkind although they have kind of gotten away from the trilogy thing they are good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by moridin
    *nod* A good series, although the second series wasn't really up to scratch. Sometimes annoying due to the amount of psycho-babble that went on in it though :)

Agreed. Neither were any of his short stories set in the same world much use either, IMHO.

Actually, after the first trilogy, I was thoroughly unimpressed with anything he wrote until he switched genres to :
    Still, a good story, and it started me reading his Gap Series, which is by far and away the best Sci-Fi series that I've read :)

Its pure class. If this was a fantasy/sci-fi question, I'd have to put The Gap as the top series :)

jc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Excluding Tolkein's work, my top 3 in no particular order.
    Dragonbone chair by Williams.
    Farseers by Robin Hobb
    Unbeliever Series by Covenant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Bosco

George RR Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' gets my vote, not just among sci-fi/fantasy series but among all the books I've ever read. Crackin' stuff.

Still though, it all comes down to taste. You might as well ask what the 'best' flavour of crisps is.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭xern

i think the Wheel of time book series from Robert Jordan is good. it's up to book 10 now i think. it keeps you coming back for more!

still whatever your into i suppose!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Originally posted by Bosco
    George RR Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' gets my vote, not just among sci-fi/fantasy series but among all the books I've ever read. Crackin' stuff.

Still though, it all comes down to taste. You might as well ask what the 'best' flavour of crisps is.

I'll second all the above statements....even though A Song of ice and Fire is THE best fantasy series ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Definatly..cant wait till winter(4 November)..the scope is MIND BLOWING (and they got dragons)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Clinical Waste

Originally posted by moridin
    A good series, although the second series wasn't really up to scratch. Sometimes annoying due to the amount of psycho-babble that went on in it though :)

Still, a good story, and it started me reading his Gap Series, which is by far and away the best Sci-Fi series that I've read [/B]

Exactly what I would have said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Reading the starwars proposed books volumes 7,8,9 (ie set after the movies) by Timothy Zahn - these are excellent, do recommend them if your a starwars fan, but dosent match up to Lord of the Rings I'm afraid - all time classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Fantasy?

There are only two series I can bear reading; so much the rest is terribly derivative.

Middle-earth and Earthsea, that's for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I would say the Thomas Covenant series was great,

I enjoyed the other stories he wrote with Mirrors and imagers etc ... the name of the series escapes my mind at the moment.

Theresa was the heroine? .. .anybody ... throw me a friggin' bone !

X

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 che

people. you seem to be forgeting Dune by Frank Herbert. all 6 of them. first three rocked and the second three confused (but in a good way)
    the 2 Robin Hobb trilogys were great and the new book in her third shows she aint gonna be changing that habit.
    i didnt like thomas covenent a whole lot i have to say, cant put a reaon on it,i just didnt enjoy it.
    george rr martin rules though .

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Two suggestions which you may not have read/seen before:

James Blaylock:
    The Elfin Ship
    The Disappearing Dwarf
    The Stone Giant (kind of a prequel to the first two - helps to read the other two first though)

These are out of print unfortunately, but you might be able to track down copies in secondhand stores. They may not appeal to everyone, but worth checking out just in case.

Tim Powers:
    Last Call
    Expiration Date
    Earthquake weather

Again, slightly offbeat so may not be everybody's cup of tea. Sort of vaguely similar to stuff by Charles De Lint, so if you're a fan of De Lint it might be worth checking these out.

Who knows, they might even get you interested in other stuff by Blaylock or Powers...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

On the trilogy front there really isn't anything that can compare to the Lord of the Rings and nothing thats even tried to come close.

As a series the one that looked th emost promising was Robert Jordan's Wheel Of Time this is turning into a farce with each further installment. A shame but can still be turned around.

Other stuff that was good was Raymond E. Feist before he wrote the last book in the Empire series everything after this is dung.

As a stand alone novel of whihc there are few in Fantasy I'd have to plum for Magician by Feist again but get the the old version not the ten year revisited muck up.

MAn that guy must have had a stroke or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Originally posted by che
    people. you seem to be forgeting Dune by Frank Herbert.

Dune isn't fantasy; it is science fiction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I'd echo the views expressed on the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant - the first chronicles anyhow.

Lord of the Rings is obliviously the metre stick by which all other fantasy is measured - or copied. Given this, let's be honest, while Tolken created a rich World in his magnus opus, he did populate it with fairly two-dimensional characters.

Most other works of the genre tend to be poor on a literary level. I remember reading the first page of the Belgariad and thinking "well, no prizes for guessing how this all ends". Easy, fun, pulp reading - the printed equivalent of a straight to video movie.

I suppose the Dragonlance Legends series deserves a mention. As a series of books, Dragonlance was dreadful, but at least the character of Raistlin did add a little something.

(Awaits flame... :rolleyes: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭beserker

I dunno if its a true series but the world david gemmel created with Waylander books and the druss books are brilliant. Second only to a Song of Ice and Fire. As mentioned above Daughter\Servant\Mistress of the Empire is excellent as well. I read these over and over. Trying to get started on Wheel of Time but I couldnt find a copy of book 1 anywhere in town (cork) when i looked:(

EDIT: I totally forgot to mention Gemmels books about macedonia. They're about alexander the great. brilliant stuff, really epic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, gemmels drenai series is brilliant, and his new one.. with er.. the (not quite) romsans and celts is cool too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 horndog 2

have to say that Raymond E Feist for me is the best Author I read in a long time,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Wobin Hobb wulez!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Just started George R.R. Martin 's "Song of ice and Fire" series at the weekend! Impressive so far... I notice (and some might not agree) but he seems to be a little like David Eddings in the way he writes... dont know maybe its just he used the word "melancholy" a few times.. no where near as much as Eddings though!

Advertisement