Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oculus Rift

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

latest?cb=20100717031946

would you like to play again?

You have selected no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Is anyone after a DK2, would part with mine for €400 if anyone's interested, need funds for the Vive.

You need funds for the Vive and I'm a nice guy, so I'll help you out and give you€200 for that DK2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

nocoverart wrote: »
    You need funds for the Vive and I'm a nice guy, so I'll help you out and give you€200 for that DK2.

I'm sorry that I gave mine to my brother now, I guess there's still a lot of value in a good HMD that doesn't require next year's computer to run :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,883 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Promising sounding overview of the Vive here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-steam-vr-htc-vive-pre

Any indication of specs yet? specifically compatibility with gaming laptops, crazy amount of USB ports etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Thargor wrote: »
    Promising sounding overview of the Vive here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-hands-on-with-steam-vr-htc-vive-pre

Any indication of specs yet? specifically compatibility with gaming laptops, crazy amount of USB ports etc?

Was just reading that, Yer man Leadbetter is always worth paying attention to unlike most of the dreck that passes for games journalism now

No specs for the Vive but HP just announced VR certified units and they're sporting i7 6700k's and 980ti's...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

I was lucky enough to use the Oculus in Trinity College last week. I got to watch "Project Syria". Ive got to admit I was pretty impressed with what I saw.

I see it playing a bit part in how we game and view movies, news reports in the next few years. I would love to play ms flight simulator with the rift and I reckon there might be a huge market for these types of games using the rift.

Its prob a pricey for me atm as my pc only has a GTX 950 and i5 4460. But i reckon within 2 years I should have the pc upgraded and the oculus bought.

Can you imagine what it would be like to feel like your are in a stadium when watching a football match, basketball match etc. The rift might really excel here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

I was lucky enough to use the Oculus in Trinity College last week. I got to watch "Project Syria". Ive got to admit I was pretty impressed with what I saw.

I see it playing a bit part in how we game and view movies, news reports in the next few years. I would love to play ms flight simulator with the rift and I reckon there might be a huge market for these types of games using the rift.

Its prob a pricey for me atm as my pc only has a GTX 950 and i5 4460. But i reckon within 2 years I should have the pc upgraded and the oculus bought.

Can you imagine what it would be like to feel like your are in a stadium when watching a football match, basketball match etc. The rift might really excel here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Early prototype in Trinity rather than a CV1, I imagine? So however impressed you were, wait until you try the real thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

pcuser wrote: »

You'd need a 360 camera present at the game for each headset I imagine

Bambi wrote: »
    You'd need a 360 camera present at the game for each headset I imagine

In the same way that you need a broadcast camera for each TV watching at a match now? :confused:

One 360 camera, everyone uses the same feed...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

3D cameras on each player's head. I would buy a VR headset immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

pcuser wrote: »

If you have google cardboard or a vr headset this is worth a watch.

I doubt you could watch a full football match from this perspective tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Stokolan wrote: »
    If you have google cardboard or a vr headset this is worth a watch.

I doubt you could watch a full football match from this perspective tho.

How do you watch them on the oculus? I've been playing around with Whirligig but it's not launching on the oculus, just on the desktop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

So I got around to running the compatibility doo-dad. No issues with my USB ports it seems. Is there anywhere I need to dig deeper?

From the same people that are making the Apollo 11 Experience for VR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PItLw_Mtec8

Meh, Im as enthusiastic about VR as anyone and that would just piss me off tbh, Id rather study the old fashioned way than trying to learn anything like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Thargor wrote: »
    Meh, Im as enthusiastic about VR as anyone and that would just piss me off tbh, Id rather study the old fashioned way than trying to learn anything like that.
    it has a lot of potential, replaying lectures you missed( ok they normally dont even record them but still ), and for the likes of Australia for kids living on farms etc this would be perfect, at least in VR thats all you would be looking at, on a regular PC you might open the lecture and feck off watching youtube lol.

God they're ugly, prices dont actually seem that bad though, wonder what the Euro tax will be?

Intel core i5 6400 2.7 GHz, good news for those with older CPUs

• Advertisement

Yeah thats another thing, looks like the Oculus compatibility tool is way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The prices don't seem to bad at all considering you get the headset included. Starting at €1400 is the price I saw in an oculus email, the headset is probably taking up a maybe $500 or more of that price.

ScumLord wrote: »
    The prices don't seem to bad at all considering you get the headset included.

On the Amazon link, the processor is new but quite low grade. There's no mention as to whether you even get a normal monitor with it. No mention of motherboard. No description of available ports. Only 8GB ram, no SSD. I haven't run the numbers but I suspect there's a hefty chunk off the top for themselves.

There's just never a reason to buy a pre-built PC. Pay some kid 50 quid to put it together for you if you're not bothered yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

So I tried out the DK2 for the first time in Cork today!

It's in that 4D cinema place a few doors up from TK Maxx, and it was €4 for about a five minute demo.

This was the demo he threw on for me:

I was standing up and found it very hard to keep my balance haha, My legs were shaking instinctively, its mad how it tricks your brain.

But TBH the visual experience wasn't the greatest in there.

It seemed very blurry and the lenses fogged up quickly so i asked him to clean them which he did. But even afterwards it still seemed blurry.
    I found that if i adjusted the headset vertically it improved the clarity for a few seconds but probably went loose again.

I may be wrong but i suspect the PC isnt running the DK2 at full resolution, he said he payed €700 for rift and the PC.

Also i could see a large gap at the bridge of my nose that distracted from the experience, but helped me to actually stay vertical!

So in all, despite the lack of balance i felt the low resolution was a distraction from the immersion, and it didnt blow me away visually.

But it that might be down to the setup in there.

Was still cool to try it out and experience the same feeling you would get on an amusement ride like that in real life!

That's a fairly rough demo to be trying on your first go. I guess he was going for maximum disorientation in the shortest time but even when sitting down that demo is hard on your balance. There are many better ones you could have tried like SightLine but that would take longer.

You're right about the resolution though, any time I've shown people I always pre-warn them that they'll be disappointed with the pixelation especially if they are used to playing games. However, I've tried the HTC Vive (same resolution as the consumer Oculus) and the pixels are not noticeable.

Doge wrote: »
    It seemed very blurry and the lenses fogged up quickly so i asked him to clean them which he did. But even afterwards it still seemed blurry.
    I found that if i adjusted the headset vertically it improved the clarity for a few seconds but probably went loose again.

Really sounds like a poorly configured setup, I wouldn't read too much into it.

That's a hell of a demo to expect people to do standing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭Doge

Zillah wrote: »
    Really sounds like a poorly configured setup, I wouldn't read too much into it.

That's a hell of a demo to expect people to do standing up!

Was kind of fun to be thrown into the deep end!
    He stands behind youin case you fall back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Heads up for anyone with a Leap Motion - new software (version 3) released earlier in the week, hand tracking is now far more reliable (i.e. actually usable now)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I saw that and it looks like they will be bringing out a version better suited for VR devices

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,323 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Advertisement