Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Halfords oil on sale again

Options
  • 25-12-2014 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭

€15 for 4 litres, plus 10% off if you reserve today.

Happy Christmas!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭honda boi

Nice one just reserved 4 bottles of ford 5w30 for 54€!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

What do I need for a Toyota Prius ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

How does it compare to Castrol et al?

Specifically for an E46.

Carpenter wrote: »
    What do I need for a Toyota Prius ??????

Maxol provide a very useful tool here which give info on oil types and quantities required for your car. Not just engine but diff oil, gearbox brake fluid etc. etc.

http://maxol.lubricantadvisor.com/default.aspx?lang=eng

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

Specifically for an E46.

Some people like brand name oil. I'm not convinced TBH. The best advice I have been given was from a research scientist who worked for a British oil company. Buy the correct spec oil for your engine and change it regularly.

Buying the Halfords stuff means I can change it twice as often and still save money.

• Advertisement

stimpson wrote: »
    Some people like brand name oil. I'm not convinced TBH. The best advice I have been given was from a research scientist who worked for a British oil company. Buy the correct spec oil for your engine and change it regularly.

Buying the Halfords stuff means I can change it twice as often and still save money.

Cheers. That sounds about right.

I looked a little further through the site and the Halfords brand that matches the BMW LL04 spec isn't actually on sale and is pretty much the same price as Castrol.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Specifically for an E46.

I looked a little further through the site and the Halfords brand that matches the BMW LL04 spec isn't actually on sale and is pretty much the same price as Castrol.

e46 can use bmw ll-01 oil, which is covered under the spec of this:

http://www.halfords.ie/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/engine-oil/halfords-5w30-fully-synthetic-motor-oil-4l-vauxhall-opel-saab

I've used if for the last year, after a year on Castrol. Noticed no difference at all, except for the massive price difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,644 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Thanks OP, will stock up, about time the price of engine oil came down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

The Castrol Edge 5W-30 BMW LL04 is good value at €29.95 for 4 litres at the minute on micksgarage.com.

http://www.micksgarage.com/proddetails.aspx?pid=4227441

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I've got Total 4L fully synth for about €23 the last few times from micksgarage

Used to always get Halfords up till I had the Avensis. Because they don't stock the oil filter for a Toyota 2.0TD I didn't bother getting oil there and got out of the habit.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Reserved 2 bottles of the Ford stuff, was going to get 2 more of 10w40 for her MX5, but still have 2 left over from last time, plus 2 liters of Q8, so well sorted for now.
    According to the oil manual her MX5 should take the exact same oil as my diesel Ford. Tried it once and it did not feel happy with it. It runs very nicely on 10w40, so will stick with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Could one of you gents tell me which of those oils I could put in my 04 Audi 1.9 Diesel please? I'm nearly sure it's 5W30.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Could one of you gents tell me which of those oils I could put in my 04 Audi 1.9 Diesel please? I'm nearly sure it's 5W30.

5w40 for them. 5w30 will do either. It should have vw 505 01 spec on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

5w40 is VW 502.00/505.00

5w30 has no VW spec

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

colm_mcm wrote: »

Used to always get Halfords up till I had the Avensis. Because they don't stock the oil filter for a Toyota 2.0TD I didn't bother getting oil there and got out of the habit.
    I use the Landcruiser filter from the 90 series, same size just longer and a bit more oil capacity which is a good thing, also cheaper which is better.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I use the Landcruiser filter from the 90 series, same size just longer and a bit more oil capacity which is a good thing, also cheaper which is better.

Do halfords stock that one?

Do halfords stock that one?
    As far as I can see their oil filter range is only Halfords own brand and they don't list it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Whats the expiry date for this oil offer ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

It was 10 euro per 4 litres last year?

I remember because I stocked up and still have the receipt!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭hoodrats

pa990 wrote: »
    Whats the expiry date for this oil offer ?

you skint after Christmas? you can reserve it online and collect it a few days later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

No cheap vw507 spec halfords oil :( I seem destined to pay for expensive oil 40-50 euro for the right oil every service worth it though I suppose.

Last years thread is here: 10euro for 4 litres Halfords 5w30 oil

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88233434

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

hoodrats wrote: »
    you skint after Christmas? you can reserve it online and collect it a few days later.

I'm flush with cash

Just wondering how long i have to reserve it online.

Anyone got a definite answer as to the end date of this offer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 487 ✭✭Chorus_suck

This post has been deleted.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    As far as I can see their oil filter range is only Halfords own brand and they don't list it?

Yep. Yet they stock "GB" stickers

Yep. Yet they stock "GB" stickers
    Halfords Ireland has a pitiful range, the UK shops show the filters Bosch and Mann varieties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

Just back from Halfords now, got 8 litres of oil, a wiring harness adapter for my radio and a sweet Halfords advanced socket set going for half price!

Why is Halfords charging 5 euro more per 4litre 5w30 oil this year than last year?
    Especially when the price of a barrel of oil has reduced significantly?

To be fair, its heavily discounted this year too, maybe they had too much in stock last year, or they thought it would drive sales of other items.

Also, the price of base stock has a minimal effect on the price you pay for 4 litres of engine oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭enricoh

does it make a whole pile of odds using 10w40 s/s instead of 5w30, have to do an oil change on the womans 07 1.4 d4d corrolla n my own 04 almera.
    it comes up on that maxol site 5w30 for both, i always used 10w40 on the almera for last 8 years n never made any odds.
    basically i dont wanna splash out 20 quid on oil as i've the guts of a 20l drum of 10w40 ss there - sod it,i'll admit i'm tight!

Advertisement