Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we and the IRFU doing enough?

Options
  • 15-12-2014 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭

Rob Murphy runs knockon.ie probably the best website covering grassroots rugby in the country. Ive written articles in the past for his site. Excellent site that covers a huge amount of rugby played across the country. What are people's thoughts on this article he wrote about the Connacht Senior Cup final(and club rugby in general) which was played this weekend?
    http://www.knockon.ie/2014/12/15/e10-youre-laugh/

The club game is the foundation of the sport but cannot attract supporters who will go to the pro game unless they are die hards.
    What can we do? IRFU are changing the AIL structure for next season and while I think the change should help things I have to agree with Rob that they are quite uninspiring and will not do anything what the IRFU hope they might.

The schools and clubs underage games are where we produce the players for the pro game but only a tiny portion of those players go on and become pros. The schools cups attract huge(too much possibly) media attention but what happens to the vast majority of the players after they leave school? Why do we have such high drop out rates at 13 years of age and 18/19? What can we do to improve those figures?

Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I don't really know if there is anything you can do to attract people to watch AIL games. I mean take myself for example, I would never bother to go to an AIL game. I'm very interested to read the match reports and to see highlights on Youtube, but ultimately I'm not that keen to go to one of the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,083 ✭✭✭✭phog

I mentioned AIL fixtures clashing with other AIL games in Limerick or Munster games before, that sort of stuff has to impact on attendances.

ATM, I just can't afford the time nor the entrance fee to attend AIL games, though I try to supoort underage rugby fundraisers when I can. I feel for the clubs because they're the life blood of rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The AIL games are often of a very good standard and are very entertaining. The thing is you need to translate that into a product if you want to sell tickets, which the IRFU and clubs do not do. There is an idea that AIL is for old club hounds and family members.

For me, the first thing is they need to make the top division a completely separate product. The average fan doesn't know anything about ail, never mind all the different divisions. You need to make it easier to understand. A simple league title would do the job. Then the provinces need to help out. As thomond2006 has suggested before some free tickets with your season ticket would be a great idea to get some new fans into the grounds.

Of course most pitches don't have seats or even proper terraces so really your average fan doesn't fancy standing on the sideline on a cold day and not seeing much rugby.

One of the best games I saw last year had to be Clontarf vs belvo in castle avenue though, cracking game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Sort of two points there.

1) Support for club games. I dont think its a problem at all. Its a mistake to expect or aim that they should attract supporters/attendances beyond fellow members, friends, and family of those playing. Its an amateur game played by those who play it for the fun of playing it. 'Support' for them is not relevant.
    The entertainment supply for rugby supporters/fans is well catered for by the 4 provincial teams with the stars, internationals, and highest quality rugby. Over the last 15 year I would guess that the actual attendances at rugby games has increased dramatically over the old amateur days of the AIL etc.
    So no action needed here.

2) Do you know hHow has the conversion rate of underage players to adult players developped in recent time? Are numbers lower than they were in the past ? Are clubs struggling to field teams to a greater extent than in the past ? Quite possibly simply an unwinnable battle against the changing world we live in. Many traditional sports or activities have falling numbers - the variety of leisuretime options today is very high with fewer people choosing any given sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The provincial diehards are a good demographic to target. Give provincial season ticket holders some free AIL passes. Give them a sample and they might come back for more. That would motivate me to go to a few matches here in Dublin, but otherwise like Hagz I wouldn't bother. The key is developing an emotional investment in supporters. If they go to a few matches and like the rugby (and the bar!) they maybe they'll pay in next time.

(I think I've said this here before?)

Edit: Cheers .ak, I did say this before! :D

An AIL match as a curtain raiser to a Pro12 game might be good when the pitches are in good nick. Do Lansdowne ever play in the back pitch before internationals at the Aviva?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,604 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

As a ucd student I always kind of wished it would develop a kind of US college sports atmosphere. I think it would be easy enough to get that at college level and it would reach out to new fans.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

How much is it on the gate for your average AIL match? Wouldn't mind heading to one.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

dregin wrote: »
    How much is it on the gate for your average AIL match? Wouldn't mind heading to one.

€10 usually.

The thing that got me going to more AIL games was the kids. Easier to introduce them to going to matches that way and they are generally on much earlier. Also cheaper if I end up having to leave.

Given RTE have thrown in the towel with the pro12 there might be an argument for them covering more A games.

Also like the coverage against the head gives to non inter pros - pity it's only on during international windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Hagz wrote: »
    I don't really know if there is anything you can do to attract people to watch AIL games. I mean take myself for example, I would never bother to go to an AIL game. I'm very interested to read the match reports and to see highlights on Youtube, but ultimately I'm not that keen to go to one of the games.
    I totally disagree with you. You live in Dublin and the club culture isn't developed through players teens. And its very easy to just watch games and not be involved other than supporting Leinster/former school in schools cup
    IRFU should be helping clubs in terms of floodlights as floodlight games can attract crowds especially those who'll stay out for a few drinks
    The clubs are the driving force of the sport across the country. They are where the most people are involved in the sport and where we can build up support the most
    phog wrote: »
    I mentioned AIL fixtures clashing with other AIL games in Limerick or Munster games before, that sort of stuff has to impact on attendances.

ATM, I just can't afford the time nor the entrance fee to attend AIL games, though I try to supoort underage rugby fundraisers when I can. I feel for the clubs because they're the life blood of rugby.
    Its impossible through the season for games not to clash though and while sometimes it is annoying unless you totally change the fixtures clashes will happen.
    .ak wrote: »
    The AIL games are often of a very good standard and are very entertaining. The thing is you need to translate that into a product if you want to sell tickets, which the IRFU and clubs do not do. There is an idea that AIL is for old club hounds and family members.

For me, the first thing is they need to make the top division a completely separate product. The average fan doesn't know anything about ail, never mind all the different divisions. You need to make it easier to understand. A simple league title would do the job. Then the provinces need to help out. As thomond2006 has suggested before some free tickets with your season ticket would be a great idea to get some new fans into the grounds.

Of course most pitches don't have seats or even proper terraces so really your average fan doesn't fancy standing on the sideline on a cold day and not seeing much rugby.

One of the best games I saw last year had to be Clontarf vs belvo in castle avenue though, cracking game.
    Problem with making the top level a separate product is that its a tier system and should be kept. How do you decide which clubs and how many clubs per province etc should be in a closed off top flight?
    Maybe not free tickets with a provincial ticket as clubs need the revenue but each supporters club member gets in their membership pack all fixtures for their local club.
    Going on about seats and terraces is an issue and shows a large number go to provincial games for little to do with rugby and only there to be seen/social occasion and that's first with rugby second
    Sort of two points there.

1) Support for club games. I dont think its a problem at all. Its a mistake to expect or aim that they should attract supporters/attendances beyond fellow members, friends, and family of those playing. Its an amateur game played by those who play it for the fun of playing it. 'Support' for them is not relevant.
    The entertainment supply for rugby supporters/fans is well catered for by the 4 provincial teams with the stars, internationals, and highest quality rugby. Over the last 15 year I would guess that the actual attendances at rugby games has increased dramatically over the old amateur days of the AIL etc.
    So no action needed here.

2) Do you know hHow has the conversion rate of underage players to adult players developped in recent time? Are numbers lower than they were in the past ? Are clubs struggling to field teams to a greater extent than in the past ? Quite possibly simply an unwinnable battle against the changing world we live in. Many traditional sports or activities have falling numbers - the variety of leisuretime options today is very high with fewer people choosing any given sport.
    The support for the club game is an issue though and I don't see how you can say it isn't.
    You haven't been to much or if you have a very small number of club AIL/J1 rugby if you think attendances have went up.
    Talking about it being an amateur game and support not being relevant. :eek:
    Look at the GAA. We need to look to it and its club game to a large extent. Club rugby is community rugby. We don't have that in a lot of areas anywhere near as much as we should and that needs to change.
    It isn't a mistake at all to expect or aim to use the club game to attract new people to the sport. Not everyone will be brave enough/willing to spend €30+ on a pro12 ticket etc but is more likely spend a tenner on a club game, get a meal. There certainly is issues with support of the club game but action needs to be taken to improve the standing of the club game

Don't have a link for figures but going on my own experience: refereeing, coaching underage for several seasons. Played until my early 20s....
    IRFU figures from last season are nowhere near true in the drop off at 18-20 age group and that is very high
    The change in Dublin from j1/2/3 etc to divisions has helped clubs a huge amount and there has been an increase in teams being fielded but overall there is a lot of clubs struggling to field. I don't see it as an unwinnable war. We need to improve our systems, competitions. Get more social rugby.

• Advertisement

I totally disagree with you. You live in Dublin and the club culture isn't developed through players teens. And its very easy to just watch games and not be involved other than supporting Leinster/former school in schools cup

I'm not trying to be insulting but I genuinely not sure what you've said here. Am I right in thinking you've said that the club culture isn't as strong in Dublin, and that it is easy to support a team you're not affiliated with?

The provincial diehards are a good demographic to target. Give provincial season ticket holders some free AIL passes. Give them a sample and they might come back for more. That would motivate me to go to a few matches here in Dublin, but otherwise like Hagz I wouldn't bother. The key is developing an emotional investment in supporters. If they go to a few matches and like the rugby (and the bar!) they maybe they'll pay in next time.

(I think I've said this here before?)

Edit: Cheers .ak, I did say this before! :D

An AIL match as a curtain raiser to a Pro12 game might be good when the pitches are in good nick. Do Lansdowne ever play in the back pitch before internationals at the Aviva?
    Problem with giving free passes is there needs to be more that the clubs will gain from. Emotional investment yes but simply giving away free passes isn't the way. AIL match before a pro12 game would be good to see. Doubt Lansdowne/Wanderers would be let play before internationals with space etc needed
    dregin wrote: »
    €10 but depending on game you can get a pre match meal and wine etc for €15/20
    The thing that got me going to more AIL games was the kids. Easier to introduce them to going to matches that way and they are generally on much earlier. Also cheaper if I end up having to leave.

Given RTE have thrown in the towel with the pro12 there might be an argument for them covering more A games.

Also like the coverage against the head gives to non inter pros - pity it's only on during international windows.
    RTE would be better off showing AIL games than A games as B&I cup games normally get something of a crowd. The rest don't. AIL games need the coverage more than Provincial A games which the provinces usually have good to very good highlights up on their websites

I still have no idea what you've said here.
    You live in Dublin and the club culture isn't developed through players teens.

Is there supposed to be a forward slash between players and teens? The club culture isn't developed through the players/teenagers?
    And its very easy to just watch games and not be involved other than supporting Leinster/former school in schools cup

What is this point? It's easy to watch games and not get involved? ... What point are you making?

Hagz wrote: »
    I still have no idea what you've said here.

Is there supposed to be a forward slash between players and teens? The club culture isn't developed through the players/teenagers?

What is this point? It's easy to watch games and not get involved? ... What point are you making?
    Its a lot easier to develop real links with clubs with players who play with a club side from 13-18/19 and on unlike In cities where players don't play for a club from the day they enter secondary school to the day they leave. That system does not help the club game as it allows such a fall off in numbers. Elsewhere the clubs can build a rapport/keep players as the players go through all the age groups and onto adult grades.
    The point I was making at the end is that their is too many who played all through school and quite intensively and just drop out and become supporters and our current system is a major factor in that drop off of players. No links between clubs and schools. Schools playing 7 months of season and then no club rugby played for many clubs in Dublin makes it much much harder to get most who play in a school to continue playing

Its impossible through the season for games not to clash though and while sometimes it is annoying unless you totally change the fixtures clashes will happen.

I'm not asking for all games to have different dates/ko times but too many clash.

On the day Munster played Clermont in TP there were three Div 1 games in Limerick as well. To cap it all off Cork Con and Dolphin played two more games in Cork, when the Munster supporter was heading to TP. If you want to grow the support base then fixtures like these just don't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I went to a few AIL games when I lived in Dublin because mates were playing. Have to say I was surprised at the first one when they charged me to get in. I guess I was used to NZ club rugby which is free. It was enjoyable enough. Few pints with the lads afterwards.

Maybe they could get people to pick a club side when they order their season tickets and they then get some free tickets to that club's home AIL games. Or maybe they get a free burger/hot dog/pie and drink when they go.

I definitely think scheduling AIL games when there is a provincial match on is a mistake. What about some Friday or Thursday night AIL matches? Or double headers at the RDS? Curtain raisers to big matches is also a great idea. Obviously if the weather ruins the ground during the week/days before the main game, you move the curtain raiser.

I'm not asking for all games to have different dates/ko times but too many clash.

On the day Munster played Clermont in TP there were three Div 1 games in Limerick as well. To cap it all off Cork Con and Dolphin played two more games in Cork, when the Munster supporter was heading to TP. If you want to grow the support base then fixtures like these just don't make sense.
    Yes some scheduling is an issue but its the clubs that are the issue there not the IRFU. Clubs have to request changes to the set fixtures. The Munster game clashing with AIL. The AIL games were at 2.30 and the Munster game at 5.30. The clubs could get the crowds in to watch their game and then the crowd sticks around to watch Munster on the big screen/tv in the club house afterwards. Having fixtures like that gives people a chance to see both games
    Yeah_Right wrote: »
    I went to a few AIL games when I lived in Dublin because mates were playing. Have to say I was surprised at the first one when they charged me to get in. I guess I was used to NZ club rugby which is free. It was enjoyable enough. Few pints with the lads afterwards.

Maybe they could get people to pick a club side when they order their season tickets and they then get some free tickets to that club's home AIL games. Or maybe they get a free burger/hot dog/pie and drink when they go.

I definitely think scheduling AIL games when there is a provincial match on is a mistake. What about some Friday or Thursday night AIL matches? Or double headers at the RDS? Curtain raisers to big matches is also a great idea. Obviously if the weather ruins the ground during the week/days before the main game, you move the curtain raiser.
    As ive said before. Clubs need the income from people paying at the gate. Maybe some incentive to go to club games. Free food/drink
    There is loads of Friday Night games but only inter city games could be played on a Thursday night due to the travel involved

. The Munster game clashing with AIL. The AIL games were at 2.30 and the Munster game at 5.30. The clubs could get the crowds in to watch their game and then the crowd sticks around to watch Munster on the big screen/tv in the club house afterwards. Having fixtures like that gives people a chance to see both games

That's fine for those fans that are already AIL supporters and like to watch the provinicial games but it doesn't suit the provincial fans that you're trying to get to go to AIL games.
    Yes some scheduling is an issue but its the clubs that are the issue there not the IRFU. Clubs have to request changes to the set fixtures

Why schedule the games in the first place and then have two clubs arguing over the rescheduling - avoid International, H/Cup and InterPro weekends at least.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Are the clubs still paying players?

People who have no affiliation to a club, even some that do, aren't going to pay to watch them. That's even if they want to watch them in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

I don't know if anything can be done, or indeed should be done. It's possible that we'll only ever have fifty thousand or so hardcore rugby fans in Ireland, and that what we have now is the best possible setup for the professional era. The reason rugby gets nowhere near the same crowds at club level as the GAA is because the GAA is vastly bigger at every level. Unless there's a way to pull thousands of extra fans to the fifth tier in the Irish rugby hierarchy (Test, Europe, Pro12, A teams, AIL) who've been immune to the charms of the upper levels, you're effectively looking for a significant increase in interest from existing fans, many of whom are already atemding fifteen matches a season and quite a few of whom are also following other sports. It may simply be the case that the AIL's future is as a participant league, not a spectator one.

• Advertisement

Yes some scheduling is an issue but its the clubs that are the issue there not the IRFU. Clubs have to request changes to the set fixtures. The Munster game clashing with AIL. The AIL games were at 2.30 and the Munster game at 5.30. The clubs could get the crowds in to watch their game and then the crowd sticks around to watch Munster on the big screen/tv in the club house afterwards. Having fixtures like that gives people a chance to see both games

As ive said before. Clubs need the income from people paying at the gate. Maybe some incentive to go to club games. Free food/drink
    There is loads of Friday Night games but only inter city games could be played on a Thursday night due to the travel involved

i like the idea of watching a provincial or international match on the big screen at a rugby club. Used to do it all the time back home. The way to do it would be to have some sort of drink and/or food specials for the big game. Maybe present your AIL ticket and get some tokens. Would work especially well if the main match was out of town. Could promote it by having some of the players go along to nearby Tag rugby nights and hand out flyers, tokens etc.

Had no idea that they played Friday night games. Obviously travel is a factor so it would have to be 2 local teams playing. Same with a Thursday night.

CatFromHue wrote: »

People who have no affiliation to a club, even some that do, aren't going to pay to watch them. That's even if they want to watch them in the first place.

I know some clubs pay for gym sessions, match and medical expenses.

That's fine for those fans that are already AIL supporters and like to watch the provinicial games but it doesn't suit the provincial fans that you're trying to get to go to AIL games.

Why schedule the games in the first place and then have two clubs arguing over the rescheduling - avoid International, H/Cup and InterPro weekends at least.
    Their is plenty who don't go to provincial games but watch them on tv. Change things so that they can support their local club and still watch their province

Their is 8 international weekends a season, a minimum of 6 European weekends and 6 interpro games in the regular season. That's 20 weekends minimum. How in gods name do you expect club sides to avoid all of those weekends. There's only so many weeks in a season.
    CatFromHue wrote: »

Some are. Some not. Very difficult to know if they are.

We need to build an ethos of club rugby as there is too many who are just arm chair supporters and only support their school, province and national side and that doesn't go anywhere near far enough to help the game
    I don't know if anything can be done, or indeed should be done. It's possible that we'll only ever have fifty thousand or so hardcore rugby fans in Ireland, and that what we have now is the best possible setup for the professional era. The reason rugby gets nowhere near the same crowds at club level as the GAA is because the GAA is vastly bigger at every level. Unless there's a way to pull thousands of extra fans to the fifth tier in the Irish rugby hierarchy (Test, Europe, Pro12, A teams, AIL) who've been immune to the charms of the upper levels, you're effectively looking for a significant increase in interest from existing fans, many of whom are already atemding fifteen matches a season and quite a few of whom are also following other sports. It may simply be the case that the AIL's future is as a participant league, not a spectator one.
    There is a lot more that can be done. Rugby is non existent in large parts of the country. The A teams play a max of 10-15 games a season. Without support for the AIL and knock on effects at other levels of club game. The pro side of the sport will suffer. There is 50 senior clubs(from next season). 2000 new supporters is 20 per club. Take in the top tier of junior clubs in each province and there is another 50 or so clubs. And do the same. 4000 people across the entire country, Is that really that difficult with the right systems in place?

i like the idea of watching a provincial or international match on the big screen at a rugby club. Used to do it all the time back home. The way to do it would be to have some sort of drink and/or food specials for the big game. Maybe present your AIL ticket and get some tokens. Would work especially well if the main match was out of town. Could promote it by having some of the players go along to nearby Tag rugby nights and hand out flyers, tokens etc.

Had no idea that they played Friday night games. Obviously travel is a factor so it would have to be 2 local teams playing. Same with a Thursday night.

The idea of watching provincial or international games in the club house might work better for away games. I really don't see it catching on for home games.

The idea of watching provincial or international games in the club house might work better for away games. I really don't see it catching on for home games.

I'd say you are spot on in regards to the provincial matches. Internationals it can still work. These can sell out pretty quickly so in some cases there might still be interest in watching the game down at a club. I imagine tickets to 6 Nations matches next year vs France and England will be tough to get so why not give fans another option. I'd happily watch a game like that down at the local club.

Someone mentioned earlier that a significant number of rugby fans are into the "event" not just the match. And there is nothing wrong with that. People want to be entertained and they want value for money. How to get more of these people interested in AIL? I don't know. The clubs have to try things and not wait for the IRFU. Maybe get former players involved. Get a club old boy who represented Ireland, won HEC et to come and do a Q&A session, dinner speach after an AIL match. Sell tickets that include watching the game.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,293 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sad to say but as a member of a midlands club the AIL means nothing to me.
    Naas in division 2A would be highest placed team near me.
    Tullamore is in 2B.

i suppose its like lower league english soccer, you support you local team.
    the biggest games of the season are the towns cup games for our club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭deadybai

I think the only way to get people interested in going to AIL game is to show some games on TV. Even a highlights show. Now I'm admittedly a bandwagon rugby fan (Only watch Ireland games and big Heineken Cup matches. Mainly a GAA), so really I wouldnt have a clue about club rugby in Ireland. If there was a few games on tv I would watch it and this would spark some interest in the game especially if a local club was play. So say I was following a local club throughout the season on TV and they had a huge match coming up, would I be more inclined to go to the match. The answer is yes. It would be even handier to attend if you lived in Dublin. I think tv coverage is a huge advertisement for the game, even if it was show on Tg4 I wouldnt mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Their is plenty who don't go to provincial games but watch them on tv. Change things so that they can support their local club and still watch their province

Their is 8 international weekends a season, a minimum of 6 European weekends and 6 interpro games in the regular season. That's 20 weekends minimum. How in gods name do you expect club sides to avoid all of those weekends. There's only so many weeks in a season.
    Some are. Some not. Very difficult to know if they are.

We need to build an ethos of club rugby as there is too many who are just arm chair supporters and only support their school, province and national side and that doesn't go anywhere near far enough to help the game

There is a lot more that can be done. Rugby is non existent in large parts of the country. The A teams play a max of 10-15 games a season. Without support for the AIL and knock on effects at other levels of club game. The pro side of the sport will suffer. There is 50 senior clubs(from next season). 2000 new supporters is 20 per club. Take in the top tier of junior clubs in each province and there is another 50 or so clubs. And do the same. 4000 people across the entire country, Is that really that difficult with the right systems in place?

Honestly? Getting attendance up by those numbers would be brutally difficult. You'd need a national campaign, and with falling ticket sales at provincial level, the AIL isn't a priority. What's more, I don't think anyone outside the clubs would lose out if the AIL lost all its spectators. The provincial academies are providing the bulk of players for the professional ranks, and a lot of others cut their teeth in England. A slight drop in AIL standards would have a marginal impact on the quality of provincial sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

How about a magic weekend like in Super League for the opening round of the AIL? Market it as a big festival of Irish club rugby and rotate the venue every year. Play 3 or 4 matches per day. If people like the product then maybe they'll pop over to their local club for more matches.

I also think the provinces need to make more of an effort in letting supporters know what contracted players are playing AIL on a weekend. I know Munster mention it but it's always after a weekend. It would take little effort but generate a bit of interest. Even if it's a sidenote on provincial team announcements.

• Advertisement

It works for away games and with right policies in terms of advertising etc it would work for home games and does already work for some of them
    Aviva can only accommodate x amount of people. People will be watching the international so you work to get them into the club to watch
    I'd say you are spot on in regards to the provincial matches. Internationals it can still work. These can sell out pretty quickly so in some cases there might still be interest in watching the game down at a club. I imagine tickets to 6 Nations matches next year vs France and England will be tough to get so why not give fans another option. I'd happily watch a game like that down at the local club.

Someone mentioned earlier that a significant number of rugby fans are into the "event" not just the match. And there is nothing wrong with that. People want to be entertained and they want value for money. How to get more of these people interested in AIL? I don't know. The clubs have to try things and not wait for the IRFU. Maybe get former players involved. Get a club old boy who represented Ireland, won HEC et to come and do a Q&A session, dinner speach after an AIL match. Sell tickets that include watching the game.
    The French/English games will be extremely difficult to get on the back of our last 10-12 games internationally. You turn the club games into more of an event. Deals with pubs etc in areas. Show ticket/membership card and discounts
    Most clubs run dinners as fundraisers. Adapt them and get people in
    deadybai wrote: »
    I think the only way to get people interested in going to AIL game is to show some games on TV. Even a highlights show. Now I'm admittedly a bandwagon rugby fan (Only watch Ireland games and big Heineken Cup matches. Mainly a GAA), so really I wouldnt have a clue about club rugby in Ireland. If there was a few games on tv I would watch it and this would spark some interest in the game especially if a local club was play. So say I was following a local club throughout the season on TV and they had a huge match coming up, would I be more inclined to go to the match. The answer is yes. It would be even handier to attend if you lived in Dublin. I think tv coverage is a huge advertisement for the game, even if it was show on Tg4 I wouldnt mind.
    There is highlights of some games on IRFU website and expanding that would be great. Aer TV were streaming games last season which hasn't happened as much this season
    Problem with tv coverage is tv companies would only really be interested in the top flight so how do you deal with the other divisions
    Honestly? Getting attendance up by those numbers would be brutally difficult. You'd need a national campaign, and with falling ticket sales at provincial level, the AIL isn't a priority. What's more, I don't think anyone outside the clubs would lose out if the AIL lost all its spectators. The provincial academies are providing the bulk of players for the professional ranks, and a lot of others cut their teeth in England. A slight drop in AIL standards would have a marginal impact on the quality of provincial sides.
    The academies still rely hugely on the AIL for player development and without the AIL player development in the academies would suffer a lot. The clubs are the bedrock of the game in the country. If AIL sides lose their support, the club struggles and if the clubs struggle the sport struggles ten
    Yu really are underestimating the role AIL has to play in the development of a significant number of players still to this day.
    If the academies played more or provincial A teams more often you would have a point but most academy players will play most often in a season in the AIL

Advertisement