Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goats

Options
  • 20-10-2014 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Met 2 wild goats this morning whole we were out doing a fox best with the club. They were huge. My question is, do you need a special licence to shoot them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

No permit required. But they are hardy boyos, so the side by side and no. 7 shot is out of the question. .223 as a minimum. Just make sure they are truly wild and the landowner has no problem with it.

And a clothes peg for your nose when you meet a puc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

The smell off goat is enough for me to not bother shooting em.
    And the meat tastes like it smells.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Jimy1971 wrote: »
    Met 2 wild goats this morning whole we were out doing a fox best with the club. They were huge. My question is, do you need a special licence to shoot them?

What possible satisfaction could you get by picking up a gun and shooting them?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It is a necessity.

They can destroy forestry, farm land, and effect livestock & other fauna in the area. They may be feral which is a result of purposeful release, careless management and/or ignorance. In which case they need culled.

If they are loose livestock then as hunters we know better than to shoot without checking first so if the land owner/farmer owns them, and wants them returned we inform him of their location and he can retrieve them.

I can sense by the "tone" of your post that you may not agree with hunting/shooting in general and while you are welcome to take part in the forum please be aware that this is the hunting forum and as such it is for hunters so some topics and pictures may upset or disturb you. If so i would recommend you refrain from viewing the forum.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The smell off goat is enough for me to not bother shooting em.
    And the meat tastes like it smells.

The youngsters and females aren't too bad. I shot several for a local landowner many moons ago and the meat was devine. Especcially in stews or using receipes I got out of an old turkish cook book my other half got on holidays. They go very well as part of a kebab:D. Your right though about the Males. Even the dogs couldn't stomach that stuff. Theres a herd on Blessginton Game Club land at the moment with several males courting the females. You can tell where the herd is easily by the smell which can be got up to 500m away I discovered recently!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

f73fc5f2-60ef-4142-b52d-0474908f8762_zpsb7f46b6b.jpg

heres a good reason to cull them Realdenbreen,i shoot them regularly,they reproduce at a fair rate if left to their own devices,keeping them at a managable number is good for the farmers aand the goats,
    IMG_4952_zpsb77b61d5.jpg
    and heres the benefits of shooting them,plenty of grub for all the family.
    091-3-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,139 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Fair enugh transit.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,955 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Birdnuts wrote: »
    ThYour right though about the Males. Even the dogs couldn't stomach that stuff. Theres a herd on Blessginton Game Club land at the moment with several males courting the females. You can tell where the herd is easily by the smell which can be got up to 500m away I discovered recently!!

If thats not bad enough...Try prepping one of the heads for a mount!:eek:
    Did a skull mount for mine.Boiling the rancid head was one of the most stomach retching jobs I've had to do in a while,as you need to seperate the horns from the quick on the skull.Unlike deer ,goats horns are live growths with blood vessels under the horn.You have to get those off and clean them out thoroughly before putting them back on the skull .
    Even in death goats are stubborn and stink.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Even in death goats are stubborn and stink.:eek:

Aka billys revenge !!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

Birdnuts wrote: »
    ........Theres a herd on Blessginton Game Club land at the moment with several males courting the females. You can tell where the herd is easily by the smell which can be got up to 500m away I discovered recently!!

Numbers in one herd in the Blessington area have greatly diminished in the past ten years much to the dismay of the "non-agricultural-use" landowner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Varmint Shooter

A friend of mine shoots a few every so often for landowners & gives the meat to a Nigerian couple in the area. They love goat meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Not really likely to be on the cards, but I wouldnt mind getting into something like this.
    That picture looks from fairly close, are they generally wary? Id thought they would have been, especially if one was shot, would you ever get near the rest? what range do they have to be taken from? ie if they are big but flighty.
    Are 30 30 in any way common here or likely for this? if .223 is the minimum, whats the most suitable?
    for some reason I was expecting they'd be on much rougher, hilly ground.
    Still, doesnt sound like good eatin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

cerastes wrote: »
    Not really likely to be on the cards, but I wouldnt mind getting into something like this.
    That picture looks from fairly close, are they generally wary? Id thought they would have been, especially if one was shot, would you ever get near the rest? what range do they have to be taken from? ie if they are big but flighty.
    Are 30 30 in any way common here or likely for this? if .223 is the minimum, whats the most suitable?
    for some reason I was expecting they'd be on much rougher, hilly ground.
    Still, doesnt sound like good eatin.

They wouldn't be real wild goats, they're more than likely the offspring of farm escapees and would hang around their original release area provided that there's sufficient food, cover and tranquillity.

As far as I'm aware any well placed .22 center fire and up will do the job and so will the heavy large pellet shotgun loads within reasonable range.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

A friend of mine shoots a few every so often for landowners & gives the meat to a Nigerian couple in the area. They love goat meat.

Goat meat stew is very popular in most of Africa. Had it in Kenya on a trip back in 09' and I have to say it went down very well with the local "Tusker" beer.

Im suprised to hear goat meat is so bad, Im sure it is if its reported as such.
    I must have had kid or young female goat, or I thought it was, maybe it was sheep. I couldnt tell, it was like a casserole in a tagine dish, sick of tagines after that trip, not sick from them, just eating them all the bloody time, tasted nice at first.

Are all carcasses removed or how are they dealt with, ie the males? if they stink and are big, that seems like a bit of a job getting it off a hillside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

Goat meat espically kid is very tasty and as said above the puck tends to smell quite bad i feed the pucks to the dogs and eat the kids myself.

How easy it is to get close to them depends on how often the heard is shot at. I've had to stalk them like deer sometimes and other times I've litterly had to chase them off the road and into the field so as to get a safe shot.l

If anyone plans to go shooting goats and thinks they would be out and want some help or just to pass on a bit of experience,I'd like to go along,I'm in Dublin,so WWicklow is near to me,maybe pick up some goat pick up some goat ,see what it tastes like home cooked?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Brian Larkin

Jonty wrote: »
    No permit required. But they are hardy boyos, so the side by side and no. 7 shot is out of the question. .223 as a minimum. Just make sure they are truly wild and the landowner has no problem with it.

And a clothes peg for your nose when you meet a puc.

we have goats,when its time to despatch one for a curry I use a B+P 3" 56g #0.

Advertisement