Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it fair that our children are charged so much for getting the bus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

EmptyTree wrote: »
    And children are charged a lower price on the bus compared to adults. What point are you trying to make?? :confused:

Which if you use the OP s logic is subsidised by the full paying adults

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

children, well their parents, pay a lower fare for them. oap's have done their time and,imo, should be allowed free travel.
    it's not like every single one of them avails of it, but it must be a nice option for those that want to use it to have.
    kids will grow up, pay taxes or not, grow old and then have free travel. circle of life;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Pension yes, dole no. Just because you're unemployed doesn't mean you get free travel.

You'd actually wonder how many of the people that hold forth on social welfare have actually ever been on it or even known anybody on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 SligoQueries

In Sligo, the town bus fare for an adult is €1.70, a child (over the age of 3) is €1.15. That's 67% of the adult fare, not 75%, but close.

A special needs child that's 15 years old, has to pay the full child fare, while a 16 year old with special needs on Disability Allowance can get free travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 SligoQueries

In Sligo, the town bus fare for an adult is €1.70, a child (over the age of 3) is €1.15. That's 67% of the adult fare, not 75%, but close.

A special needs child that's 15 years old, has to pay the full child fare, while a 16 year old with special needs on Disability Allowance gets free travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

You're OP isn't very clear that you are advocating free travel, it sounds very much like you are advocating free travel for children. Otherwise why bring children into it at all, why are they relevant to weather or not the elderly or disabled should be able to avail of free travel?

There is plenty of space for debate over weather free travel should exist for the elderly or disabled or not, but "I wan't my children to play less" isn't a very good argument against it.

This was in my op. Can't be any clearer in all fairness.
    If EVERYONE paid something, then children could pay a little less and the fully grown adults who actually pay for their tickets and whose money funds our whole transport network could pay a little less too.
    Ellie2008 wrote: »
    Agreed. And OP stop accusing people of "having a go" because they disagree with you. If you think about it another way me paying my full adult fair is subsidising your children s child fares. Why should I have to pay for that?! Your child takes up a seat same as me and generally travels at peak times going to school.

I have no issue with the unemployed, disabled etc getting free travel, a good society looks after it's weaker members. There is fraud in any system but in this case it's not as widespread as you seem to believe and please back up your assertions re single mothers, Roma etc with some statistical evidence from a reliable source if you expect me to attribute any weight to them.

Oh my, where have I mentioned Romas? :confused:

Secondly, children are by definition the weakest members in society.

A special needs child that's 15 years old, has to pay the full child fare, while a 16 year old with special needs on Disability Allowance can get free travel.

Thank you, it's roughly the same where I live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Youll be happy when youre a pensioner and dont need to pay for transport :) Everyone gets a turn. People act like pensioners never paid for transport in their lives, they were young too at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Free?

I spend €70 a week on petrol D:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

You're either deliberately misrepresenting what I set out in my op or you don't understand what I said.

I don't want anyone to pay for my child's bus ticket, I pay it. What I resent is children having to pay a reduced rate ticket price, most adults pay full price, while another million adults pay absolutely nothing.

Society isn't subsidising my child's transport, my child is subsidising some fully grown adults transport, that's my point!

I think that you begrudge having to pay anything at all for your kids bus fares and that you feel that they should have free travel. Your post reads as though you think that children should take priority over travellers who have free passes. The thread isn't going the way you'd like it to is it OP? You get Child Benefit for your kids, what you choose to spend it on is your own business. So long as you are in receipt of Child Benefit the tax payer is subsidising your child.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Bus fares are to high anyway should be €1 for anywhere in Dublin.
    Fleecing commuters to subsidise free travel is immoral.
    If this was charged DB would be full all the time day & night.

Kids, unless they're home schooled, are legally compelled to go to school. They have no source of income other than their parents. Complaining about kids getting cheaper bus fares to go places they have no choice but to go to is the pinnacle of short-sighted selfishness.

Those kids will get jobs and they'll be the ones who pay for your lonely, urine-soaked old age in a state nursing home, forgotten by all the people you shunned as being a waste of resources in your relative youth.

I think that you begrudge having to pay anything at all for your kids bus fares and that you feel that they should have free travel.

You saying that "you think I feel" is probably the weakest counter argument I've ever read on here quite frankly.
    Your post reads as though you think that children should take priority over travellers who have free passes.

I don't want travellers who have free passes given priority over children which is the situation at the moment.
    The thread isn't going the way you'd like it to is it OP? You get Child Benefit for your kids, what you choose to spend it on is your own business. So long as you are in receipt of Child Benefit the tax payer is subsidising your child.

So because child benefit exists I can't hold the opinion of thinking Bus Eireann charge too much for a child's fare? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

You saying that "you think I feel" is probably the weakest counter argument I've ever read on here quite frankly.

I don't want travellers who have free passes given priority over children which is the situation at the moment.

So because child benefit exists I can't hold the opinion of thinking Bus Eireann charge too much for a child's fare? :confused:
    Your arguments are growing more pathetic. I'll say goodnight and leave you to it. You sound quite bitter, perhaps you should go spend some time with your kids instead of bitching online about having to pay for their bus fare. ;)

Your arguments are growing more pathetic. I'll say goodnight and leave you to it. You sound quite bitter, perhaps you should go spend some time with your kids instead of bitching online about having to pay for their bus fare. ;)

Incredible lack of self-awareness in this post.

That's a very mean response from you in all fairness. I've made my points as clearly as I can, some can agree and some can disagree but they're sincerely made and I genuinely don't think they're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I also had posts and me said that I am making stuff up as I said I have seen all I have written about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭DrGreenthumb

I don't think it's fair, it's fare

I don't think it's fair, it's fare

Jeez, you're still at it! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I also had posts and me said that I am making stuff up as I said I have seen all I have written about.

How many of you are there ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

How many of you are there ?

me myself and 7 others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭cerastes

Victor wrote: »
    With Dublin Bus, children get a 34-57% discount on nearly all adult fares.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Fare-Information/Fares
    Even better discounts with Leap Card.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/Tourist-Tickets

Child and family fares are offered to draw them into public transport and away from cars.

Useful info (links) but for anyone that thinks the fares are reasonable, I dont understand it. I gave up with Dublin bus ten years ago due to the unreliability near me, while I hear it may be improved or even appears to, Im not waiting on a bus so cant say for certain. I know it is worse in other parts of the country.

There seem to have a load of fares rates and scales.
    Maybe they should simplify that a lot, have a peak and off peak rate?? for a start. A nominal child rate/school rate.
    I dont know what other ticket formats that can be bought now, I used to get a ticket that went in the machine that did two journeys, it was a saving if you could manage to use it.

I think the table may have come out incorrect too compared to the link, which shows it is dearer for a child, and sensible flat rates that are rounded off, whats all this 1.15, 3.05, 1.45, stupidly inconvenient, is to push people away from coinage, why not 1 or even 1.10, 3 or 1.40/1.50.
    Based on what your needs are, the unreliability as I had found it, I still think it would be cheaper and more convenient to operate a car, maybe not even a small one than bring a family on the bus or where more than one bus journey is needed to get to your destination.
    Those fares are no incentive to get people on the bus, at best they incentivise people to maybe pay slightly more for the car convenience.
    AlekSmart wrote: »
    The DSP's annual statistical analysis provides some insight into the breakdown of Free Travel Scheme issuance.

As an approximate indicator of value,an annual CIE "All Services Ticket" costs €5,870.

I dont get this, what do you mean, costs to who, whats all services cost? do you mean the ost to CIE of providing the service? per what unit?
    Chinasea wrote: »
    Not saying I agree, but anything that will incentivise the over reliance on the car can only be a dam good thing.

Those fares wont, unless its absolutely necessary.
    AlekSmart wrote: »
    http://www.childleapcard.ie/

A daily Bus Only Cap of €2.50 or €8.20 per week is far from crazy IMO.

What IS crazy,to me,is having to ask a steady stream of young people why they are paying a cash-fare when they could have been travelling FREE on Bus/Luas/Dart for the past 10 days...invariably all I get in return is a blank-stare and the occasional fxvvk off...even when I point to the Poster on the window advertising this.

Priorities I suppose ?

The cap sounds good, its the first good thing about the fares that Ive heard. but it doesnt exactly leap off the page? why arent they advertising that in big letters on the front of the webpage? ok so maybe if someones using the service they'll have looked and know about it, I assumeread it applies automatically, but I havent read in detail into how that applies if multiple services are used unequally, but it looks from the tables if you use one service more often and another rarely, you should only use the leap at the capped level on the cheaper service and maybe pay seperately for the dearer one if its infrequent.

All in the leap cap so far is the only good thing Ive heard about fares and incentivising anything, it may not help with convenience if you need to make multiple journeys in a short time and reliability
    children, well their parents, pay a lower fare for them. oap's have done their time and,imo, should be allowed free travel.
    it's not like every single one of them avails of it, but it must be a nice option for those that want to use it to have.
    kids will grow up, pay taxes or not, grow old and then have free travel. circle of life;)

Something to look forward to I suppose
    I think that you begrudge having to pay anything at all for your kids bus fares and that you feel that they should have free travel. Your post reads as though you think that children should take priority over travellers who have free passes. The thread isn't going the way you'd like it to is it OP? You get Child Benefit for your kids, what you choose to spend it on is your own business. So long as you are in receipt of Child Benefit the tax payer is subsidising your child.

Its already been answered, but your post looks like it didnt read their posts.
    They seem not to be saying that at all from what I read.
    Hootanany wrote: »
    Bus fares are to high anyway should be €1 for anywhere in Dublin.
    Fleecing commuters to subsidise free travel is immoral.
    If this was charged DB would be full all the time day & night.

Absolutely, it'll never be gotten into anyones head in Ireland,
    ok so less people are using the service which we are providing anyway, lets put the price up to make up the loss, result more incentive to get your own transport.
    Should be flat, rounded and cheap rates to encourage people back on, then start fleecing them, ok Im kidding about that line, first you have to penalise the use of cars so they are forced to use the service.
    Seriously though a flat rate, none of this 1.05 or 1.15 or 3.35, just 1, they must know when the buses are empty by tracking when fares are paid, start there.
    There are thousands of children going to school, for those where leap isnt of use, it should be extended to avail of capping or similar capping should be put in place and a cheap nominal flat rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lamegerty

I think children should pay the same as everyone else, sure don't they take up a full seat, muahahahahahaha!

Ah OP just go and use the free un-means tested child benefit for the bus instead and stop begrudging the free un-means tested pensioners their free pass, sure you'll appreciate it yourself in a few years!

Candie wrote: »

Don't lie I know you love them

Candie wrote: »

Don't lie I know you love them

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's not really an issue now with the new leap cards, but a bigger issue is the 16-18 group in my opinion, the majority of them don't have any kind of income yet still have to pay crazy fares.
    Leap Card child fares are valid until your 19th birthday.
    Lyaiera wrote: »
    In my hippie paradise public transport would be as close to free as possible. There's far too much reliance on cars and public transport is far too rubbish. It's not feasible but I can dream.
    Property is theft. Free is theft!

If something is free, it gets abused and there is no efficient allocation of resources.
    loh_oro wrote: »
    The leap card only works in Dublin.
    Dublin, much of Leinster and Cork city & suburban services.

www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1380638477-Leap-Card-Brochure.pdf
    http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=376

It is valid on:
    Bus Éireann Cork
    Bus Éireann Dublin (& Commuter)
    DART and Commuter Rail
    Dublin Bus
    Luas
    Matthews Coaches
    Swords Express
    Wexford Bus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

This was in my op. Can't be any clearer in all fairness.

Oh my, where have I mentioned Romas? :confused:

Secondly, children are by definition the weakest members in society.

No children until they reach 18 are the responsibility of their parents. If they are disabled, unemployed etc after that then the taxpayer helps them out - I'm ok with that.

Ignore my comment re Roma that was someone else. Apologies.

If you use your logic, an adult who pays the fair subsidies your child, is that fair - they take up the same space & travel at peak times... Reducing fares would be saving the parents money not children who don't have money anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

cerastes wrote: »
    Based on what your needs are, the unreliability as I had found it, I still think it would be cheaper and more convenient to operate a car, maybe not even a small one than bring a family on the bus or where more than one bus journey is needed to get to your destination.
    Those fares are no incentive to get people on the bus, at best they incentivise people to maybe pay slightly more for the car convenience.
    http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/2-Journey-Daily-Weekly/Other-Tickets/
    Rambler 1 Day Family €12.65
    1 Day unlimited travel for 2 adults and 4 Children (u16yrs).
    Valid on all Dublin Bus scheduled services including Airlink and Xpresso (exluding Nitelink, Tours, Special Events and Private Contract services).
    Available on Leap Card.
    cerastes wrote: »
    I dont get this, what do you mean, costs to who, whats all services cost? do you mean the ost to CIE of providing the service? per what unit?
    There is a ticket that allows you to use every CIÉ service for a year that costs €5,870 to buy - www.taxsaver.ie cuts this cost in half for staff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Nick_1494

I don't have an issue with travel passes for someone who can only walk a limited amount. If someone has a condition (such as a heart condition) it can be physically impossible for them to walk more then a limited distance whereas a child and other adults can travel much further on foot. Those in a position where they can't walk for an extended period of time are often unable to drive and therefore have no option but to use public transport. IMO children aren't compelled to use public transport al the time, whereas the people who receive those passes are.

Advertisement