Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it fair that our children are charged so much for getting the bus?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

I don't have children. I don't care what it costs them to take the bus.

They should be walking anyway, the lazy little bast&rds.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Think the way this government is going they would rather us all walk or cycle but then they would be down on tax so would have to add a walking and cycling tax.

One screwed up country we live in.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,419 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

They should be walking anyway, the lazy little bast&rds.

They're not all bast&rds.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Think the way this government is going they would rather us all walk or cycle but then they would be down on tax so would have to add a walking and cycling tax.

One screwed up country we live in.

I know, its awful. I hear that they give free travel to Roma people now. And to single mothers.

Time to pull up the ladder now that you're no longer a child.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Or had to pay 16% interest on their mortgages!

That's meaningless. people end up paying about 30-50% of income regardless of rates. You strike lucky if interest rates are historically high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

There is a solid argument to not give people with large public sector pensions or other private income free passes. The old are not always poor.

Phoebas wrote: »
    Time to pull up the ladder now that you're no longer a child.

Never got the bus as a child, we lived in the sticks.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I don't work for social welfare so probably best ask them.
    I am just telling as is that's what's going on out there.

Don't forget also the many fraudulent passes going around.

So you're making it up. Ok.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,022 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The single mother/unemployed/roma thing is büllshït.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Bus fares should be incrased, that way you'll have less riff-raff and more people will be inclined to take public transport.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If you're an immigrant you get your own train, with a helipad, why do my children have to put up with no helipad and a fare

TheZohan wrote: »
    Bus fares should be incrased, that way you'll have less riff-raff and more people will be inclined to take public transport.

Well, I don't mind the old people, though they do hog the best seats, but they should definitely stop giving free travel to all the sick and disabled people. The stench of despair is very off putting in the mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

With Dublin Bus, children get a 34-57% discount on nearly all adult fares.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Fare-Information/Fares/FareAdult Leap Fare Adult Cash Fare Child Leap Fare (U19yrs) Child Cash Fare (U16yrs) Discount Leap Discount Cash
    Schoolchild (All Stages) (School Hours) - - €0.70 €0.90 52% 50%
    Stages 1- 3 €1.45 €1.80 €0.95 €1.10 34% 39%
    Stages 4 - 7 €1.95 €2.35 €1.15 €1.30 41% 45%
    Stages 8- 13 €2.15 €2.60 €1.15 €1.30 47% 50%
    Over 13 Stages €2.50 €3.05 €1.15 €1.30 54% 57%
    Outer Suburban 1 €2.50 €3.05 €1.15 €1.30 54% 57%
    Outer Suburban 2 €3.50 €4.20 €2.00 €2.30 43% 45%
    Xpresso (Travel within 1 zone) €2.50 €3.05 €1.15 €1.30 54% 57%
    Xpresso (Travel within 2 Zones) €3.50 €4.20 €2.00 €2.30 43% 45%
    Route 90 Flat Fare €1.45 €1.80 €0.95 €1.10 34% 39%
    Route 236 Flat Fare €1.45 €1.80 €0.95 €1.10 34% 39%
    City Centre Fare €0.55 €0.70 €0.55 €0.70 0% 0%
    Airlink Fares €6.00 €6.00 €3.00 €3.00 50% 50%
    Nitelink Fare €5.00 €6.00 €5.00 €6.00 0% 0%
    Freedom (tourist ticket – child = under 14) €30.00 - €14.00 - 53% -

Even better discounts with Leap Card.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/Tourist-Tickets/Capping On Leap Card   Adult Child Discount
    Dublin Bus only Daily €6.90 €2.50 64%
    Dublin Bus only Weekly €27.50 €8.20 70%
    Bus / Luas / DART Commuter Rail Daily €10.00 €3.50 65%
    Bus / Luas / DART Commuter Rail Weekly €40.00 €14.00 65%

Why should society pay to subsidise transport for someone else's children OP? The taxpayer is already footing the bill for Child Benefit. Honestly people, if you don't want to pay for your kids please don't have any. I'm sick to death of parents bitching that they get a rough deal.
    Child and family fares are offered to draw them into public transport and away from cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Phoebas wrote: »
    Under what schemes are the unemployed and the Roma getting free travel?

The DSP's annual statistical analysis provides some insight into the breakdown of Free Travel Scheme issuance.

As an overview,for the 2013 figures for Total Free Travel Passes Issued is 782,529 (This refers to pass-holders only and does not include qualfied spouse/partner/companion recipients,for whom the DSP does not possess accurate figures)

Recipients of Jobseekers Allowance or members of specific ethnic/religious groupings do not,of themselves,qualify for the Free Travel Scheme.

However,the statistics do show Free Travel Scheme membership for certain categories of DSP clients.

Disability Allowance - 106,264
    Carer's Allowance - 57,120
    Invalidity Pension - 52,443
    Injury Benefit - 397
    Deserted Wives Benefit 2,250
    Others 102,062

The subtotal for these groups being - 320,336.

The "others" classification includes recipients of DSP allowances which OF THEMSELVES do not carry a Free Travel entitlement.

As an approximate indicator of value,an annual CIE "All Services Ticket" costs €5,870.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Why should society pay to subsidise transport for someone else's children OP? The taxpayer is already footing the bill for Child Benefit. Honestly people, if you don't want to pay for your kids please don't have any. I'm sick to death of parents bitching that they get a rough deal.

You're either deliberately misrepresenting what I set out in my op or you don't understand what I said.

I don't want anyone to pay for my child's bus ticket, I pay it. What I resent is children having to pay a reduced rate ticket price, most adults pay full price, while another million adults pay absolutely nothing.

Society isn't subsidising my child's transport, my child is subsidising some fully grown adults transport, that's my point!

Victor wrote: »

Child and family fares are offered to draw them into public transport and away from cars.

That, and the fact every business providing a service the word over charge a lower price for children compared to adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

There's over a million fully grown adults in this country who travel on buses and trains completely free, that's a fair percentage of our total adult population. Why is it so that children, who have no income of their own are charged about 75% of the cost of an adult ticket while so many fully grown adults who have an income of at least €188 per week are charged nothing.

If EVERYONE paid something, then children could pay a little less and the fully grown adults who actually pay for their tickets and whose money funds our whole transport network could pay a little less too.

Children can't vote, the over one million adults who have a free travel card can, but do any of you think that this is fair?

Sick of giving your kids bus money?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Yeah it's ridiculous I have to spend €70 a week on buses

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Why would we give free travel to children who's parents are well able to afford the fare?

Not saying I agree, but anything that will incentivise the over reliance on the car can only be a dam good thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

It's not really an issue now with the new leap cards, but a bigger issue is the 16-18 group in my opinion, the majority of them don't have any kind of income yet still have to pay crazy fares. It used to cost me over 6 euro to get to training twice a week, Over the month that added up to around 24 euro, and that was only for 2 bus trips, I wouldve gotten another week's worth of training for the cost of bus fare every month. I know the reasoning is that people in that age group can legally work, but the majority of them don't and don't have the time to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

In my hippie paradise public transport would be as close to free as possible. There's far too much reliance on cars and public transport is far too rubbish. It's not feasible but I can dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

It's not really an issue now with the new leap cards, but a bigger issue is the 16-18 group in my opinion, the majority of them don't have any kind of income yet still have to pay crazy fares. It used to cost me over 6 euro to get to training twice a week, Over the month that added up to around 24 euro, and that was only for 2 bus trips, I wouldve gotten another week's worth of training for the cost of bus fare every month. I know the reasoning is that people in that age group can legally work, but the majority of them don't and don't have the time to either.

http://www.childleapcard.ie/

A daily Bus Only Cap of €2.50 or €8.20 per week is far from crazy IMO.

What IS crazy,to me,is having to ask a steady stream of young people why they are paying a cash-fare when they could have been travelling FREE on Bus/Luas/Dart for the past 10 days...invariably all I get in return is a blank-stare and the occasional fxvvk off...even when I point to the Poster on the window advertising this.

Priorities I suppose ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Chinasea wrote: »
    Not saying I agree, but anything that will incentivise the over reliance on the car can only be a dam good thing.

I can get behind that reasoning as long as the government has the funds to spare at the time ie not right now. The OP's reasoning of they get free transport so my children should too is pretty crap tho.

I can get behind that reasoning as long as the government has the funds to spare at the time ie not right now. The OP's reasoning of they get free transport so my children should too is pretty crap tho.

I don't want my kids to travel for free! I should have made my op shorter so people would have actually read the thing!

I think it is unfair that children should have to pay a higher fare than over one million adults in this country. Children pay a reduced fare whereas many adults pay absolutely nothing.

If EVERYONE had to pay something then the people and children that DO currently pay could pay less. Which is a much fairer system.

1 million adults not paying for a bus service they use while children do have to pay is wrong in my opinion.

The taxpayer is also massively subsidising people who have taxsaver tickets. These aren't available to children.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭loh_oro

The leap card only works in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

I don't want my kids to travel for free! I should have made my op shorter so people would have actually read the thing!

I think it is unfair that children should have to pay a higher fare than over one million adults in this country. Children pay a reduced fare whereas many adults pay absolutely nothing.

If EVERYONE had to pay something then the people and children that DO currently pay could pay less. Which is a much fairer system.

1 million adults not paying for a bus service they use while children do have to pay is wrong in my opinion.

You're OP isn't very clear that you are advocating free travel, it sounds very much like you are advocating free travel for children. Otherwise why bring children into it at all, why are they relevant to weather or not the elderly or disabled should be able to avail of free travel?

There is plenty of space for debate over weather free travel should exist for the elderly or disabled or not, but "I wan't my children to play less" isn't a very good argument against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

You're OP isn't very clear that you are advocating free travel, it sounds very much like you are advocating free travel for children. Otherwise why bring children into it at all, why are they relevant to weather or not the elderly or disabled should be able to avail of free travel?

There is plenty of space for debate over weather free travel should exist for the elderly or disabled or not, but "I wan't my children to play less" isn't a very good argument against it.

Agreed. And OP stop accusing people of "having a go" because they disagree with you. If you think about it another way me paying my full adult fair is subsidising your children s child fares. Why should I have to pay for that?! Your child takes up a seat same as me and generally travels at peak times going to school.

I have no issue with the unemployed, disabled etc getting free travel, a good society looks after it's weaker members. There is fraud in any system but in this case it's not as widespread as you seem to believe and please back up your assertions re single mothers, Roma etc with some statistical evidence from a reliable source if you expect me to attribute any weight to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Victor wrote: »
    That, and the fact every business providing a service the word over charge a lower price for children compared to adults.

And children are charged a lower price on the bus compared to adults. What point are you trying to make?? :confused:

Advertisement