Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think the Iona Institute are homophobic?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

humanji wrote: »
    Okay, in the interests of getting this thread back on track:

Phil Ewinn, don't post in this thread again. You're purposefully winding people up and it's just ridiculous at this stage.

Everyone else, get back to the topic at hand.

It's also worth noting that a user refusing to answer your questions is not a breach of the charter. If you feel they're trolling, then report them and DO NOT respond to them. Otherwise... well, I'm sure we've all read this thread.

Oh right. I'm winding people up? That so. The people telling lies and carrying on like little bold boys are allowed to play? I'm not. Boo hoo!

The bullying has turned to censorship. Moderators have again pulled the plug an the debate and allowed the thread to be derailed time and time again.

Being asked the same question fifteen times a day. Giving answers and receiving none back from the same group of yapping time wasters.

Thats boards. The new stormfront of the internet. The home of liberal facism

Mod: Banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats or views other people with fear, distrust, hatred, contempt, or intolerance on the basis of a person's opinion, ethnicity, race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics.

Works both ways, a lot of Bigotry in this thread from both sides.

More one side than the other in reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

No
    Oh right. I'm winding people up? That so. The people telling lies and carrying on like little bold boys are allowed to play? I'm not. Boo hoo!

The bullying has turned to censorship. Moderators have again pulled the plug an the debate and allowed the thread to be derailed time and time again.

Being asked the same question fifteen times a day. Giving answers and receiving none back from the same group of yapping time wasters.

Made LOL and wake the mrs up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

No

I asked you way back

Do you differentiate between civil marriage and Christian marriage ?

What is your view on marriage between divorced couples ?

And I am still waiting for an answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

No
    Phill, I think you demonstrate quite well how those on the side of LGBT-equality have the patience of saints :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

No

Mod: Banned
    Did someone steal a chromosome from you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭whats the point

Links234 wrote: »
    Phill, I think you demonstrate quite well how those on the side of LGBT-equality have the patience of saints :)

Really? How many posters have called him a bigot and homophope? I've lost count, yet he is the person who gets told to not post again in the thread.

Edit now just see he has been banned:confused:

No
    Really? How many posters have called him a bigot and homophope? I've lost count, yet he is the person who gets told to not post again in the thread.

That's because he wouldn't answer any questions. He'd just make vague and odd statements and refused to elaborate on them.

That's not a debate. It's clear he doesn't agree with SSM for no reason other than he doesn't like it. An irrational reason found in bigoted people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

No
    He was being very stubborn in ignoring points brought up and constantly bringing up the same, irrelevant arguments and generally winding people up. Not sure what the issue is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

No
    Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats or views other people with fear, distrust, hatred, contempt, or intolerance on the basis of a person's opinion, ethnicity, race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics.

Works both ways, a lot of Bigotry in this thread from both sides.

So hating on bigots make you a bigot, guess that makes me a bigot.

Back on topic. People can try define the use of a word such as homophobic. But the fact remains that a lot people perceive the Iona crack pots as homophobic - the sort of people who piss on your head and tell you it's raining.

To anyone who wishes to dictate to someone how they live their lives and claim that a union such as marriage is theirs alone to decide what conditions in their mind it is acceptable to undertake this union - kiss my a$$

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

No

I know he's banned and ignoring me to boot, but this one line needs quoting because, well... Wow.

So hating on bigots make you a bigot, guess that makes me a bigot.

Back on topic. People can try define the use of a word such as homophobic. But the fact remains that a lot people perceive the Iona crack pots as homophobic - the sort of people who piss on your head and tell you it's raining.

To anyone who wishes to dictate to someone how they live their lives and claim that a union such as marriage is theirs alone to decide what conditions in their mind it is acceptable to undertake this union - kiss my a$$

It does make you a bigot. Your trying to dictate someones opinion by belittling them.

No

This is what really, well and truly puzzles me about this sort of debate.

You can imply or just outright say that LGBT people gaining equality is destroying marriage, destroying civilization, that gay people are not really looking for equality, we're just relishing in destruction. You can say or imply we are disordered, broken, in need of a 'cure' and that we are abominations, you can deny our humanity by saying that we are less than, not deserving of the same treatment as others. You can make comparisons with pedophilia and bestiality, as many of our opponents do in this sort of debate. In these debates you can do all of this, and that's seemingly ok.

But point out that that's bigotry and homophobia? WHOAH THERE BUDDY, YOU'VE CROSSED A LINE! :eek:

Edit: And you know what? Taking umbridge over the calling out of bigotry, it's a tactic people use when they've got nothing else to say, taking phoney offense to try and deflect away from arguments that have no substance, no basis or logic, and are solely prejudiced objections to how other people live their lives.

No
    I shall redirect people to this image again to reinforce Link's post;

Iona.png

This is what really, well and truly puzzles me about this sort of debate.

You can imply or just outright say that LGBT people gaining equality is destroying marriage, destroying civilization, that gay people are not really looking for equality, we're just relishing in destruction. You can say or imply we are disordered, broken, in need of a 'cure' and that we are abominations, you can deny our humanity by saying that we are less than, not deserving of the same treatment as others. You can make comparisons with pedophilia and bestiality, as many of our opponents do in this sort of debate. In these debates you can do all of this, and that's seemingly ok.

But point out that that's bigotry and homophobia? WHOAH THERE BUDDY, YOU'VE CROSSED A LINE! :eek:

I feel that the words, you are a homophobe, bigot, racist and antisemitic, have ruled out any chance of discussion and debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

No
    I had to look up who they are. They're a Catholic organisation, so the answer to the poll question is ipso facto Yes. They have documents such as this on their website, which to my eyes reads like a loose conglomeration of weasel words, statistics abuse and platitudes. :rolleyes:

Yes, homosexual couples can't procreate naturally, but they can (or should be able to) adopt - which in my eyes make them more admirable: looking after the children who are already here, rather than bringing new children in to this overpopulated world. But that's just, like, my opinion, man ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Folks, the poster has been banned. Please don't discuss the ban or make comments towards him. He's not allowed post to defend himself so it's not really fair, and it only derails the thread further.
    Cheers.

No
    I feel that the words, you are a homophobe, bigot, racist and antisemitic, have ruled out any chance of discussion and debate.
    Is one not permitted to call a spade a spade when they're dealing abuse/posting untrue material/snide remarks/etc?

Moving on
    bnt wrote: »
    I had to look up who they are. They're a Catholic organisation, so the answer to the poll question is ipso facto Yes. They have documents such as this on their website, which to my eyes reads like a loose conglomeration of weasel words, statistics abuse and platitudes.
    "It could be argued that it is human companionship that it is in the interest of society to encourage, rather than sexual intimacy unconnected to procreation,"

See, this is the problem. They really do think gay and lesbian people just have orgies all the time and no real interest in seeing one another in a platonic way.

Edit:But wait, there's more!

"However, the State could consider conferring upon couples in caring, dependent relationships a limited set of rights, for example, a right to apply to court for maintenance in exceptional circumstances. "

They really are just saying this frankly! Make sure not to make them equal, but sure we'll give them the odd limited set of rights in certain circumstances.

No
    Edit: And you know what? Taking umbridge over the calling out of bigotry, it's a tactic people use when they've got nothing else to say, taking phoney offense to try and deflect away from arguments that have no substance, no basis or logic, and are solely prejudiced objections to how other people live their lives.
    Pill was great at that. I'll miss Phill

POSTER BANNED.

Mod

No

But making legal threats until someone who's bothering you is censored by the state broadcaster is fine, yeah?

The Iona Institute's flying monkeys were never interested in debate or discussion. They never have been. If they were, they might acknowledge when someone else has a valid point like, say, "You lied to the constitutional convention about the Child Trends study". But at the first sign of disagreement they go straight for the lawyers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

No
    It does make you a bigot. Your trying to dictate someones opinion by belittling them.

But I'm not trying to ram my opinion down anyone's throat or dictate what they can or can't do. So I guess I'm not big on the bigot scale. I'm not belittling anyone, they manage that themselves. I just hold them in utter contempt, not because they have an opinion but simply because they feel thier opinion is the only one that counts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I for one welcome the time when Gay marriage is legal, only to stop the chattering classes from talking endlessly about it and utopia will be a step closer too of course….

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

No

How so? If someone called me a sexist, for example, I'd establish the reasons they said that, and then counter the points.

The problem that most opponents of marriage equality have is that their arguments aren't cogent or logical. The only reason the discussion ends in those cases is because their arguments aren't convincing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

but simply because they feel thier opinion is the only one that counts.

This is what kinda annoys me about this and other social topics currently in vogue. If one has an opinion that does not conform to the accepted D4 middle class Labour types than they must be a bigot, homophobe, hate women and eat babies for breakfast. "Intollarance will not be tolerated!!" is the mantra. Plenty of evidence for it here where mudslinging and name calling is the preferred modus operand of debate rather than actual debating.

We are in danger of substituting one form of puritan social conservatism with a liberal mainstream thought process where one cannot even express an opinion that differs from whats thought to be normal or accepted.

By the way, it is the same in many countries and I think personally the media have a lot to answer for.

Links234, I've been a long time lurker on boards before I started posting, I actually have a lot of respect for you. The posts I love most are yours and Wibbs, if I see either has posted last I have read it.:o

No
    Links234, I've been a long time lurker on boards before I started posting, I actually have a lot of respect for you. The posts I love most are yours and Wibbs, if I see either has posted last I have read it.:o
    Why thanks you :3

NuMarvel wrote: »
    How so? If someone called me a sexist, for example, I'd establish the reasons they said that, and then counter the points.

The problem that most opponents of marriage equality have is that their arguments aren't cogent or logical. The only reason the discussion ends in those cases is because their arguments aren't convincing.

Ahh big difference, if you call someone a racist or bigot it's to shut them up, rather than to listen to what the have to say.

No
    jank wrote: »
    This is what kinda annoys me about this and other social topics currently in vogue. If one has an opinion that does not conform to the accepted D4 middle class Labour types than they must be a bigot, homophobe, hate women and eat babies for breakfast.

No, jank, they're not homophobes for having a different opinion. They're homophobes because everything they say, write and do in the various media outlets demonstrably shows an irrational aversion to homosexuals. This has been pretty well documented in this and other threads, but I suppose it's easy to miss if you're not really looking so don't sweat it.

No, there's no need to thank me. It's reward enough knowing you won't make the same mistake again in future posts.

• Advertisement

No
    Ahh big difference, if you call someone a racist or bigot it's to shut them up, rather than to listen to what the have to say.

I can't count the times I've been called a liberal bigot/fascist on here, I somehow never seem to take a sniff of offense or even dignify it with a response. Not a very effective way of shutting someone up, is it?

Advertisement