Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think the Iona Institute are homophobic?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

No
    You're still not answering HOW it will change!

Could go for another 10 thousand posts and is unlikely to provide any semi coherent answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No

That is DEFINITELY not answering the question.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

SW wrote: »
    why, your opinion, is it better to deny same-sex couples the same legal recognition as hetero couples? How is it detrimental to society to have marriage equality for same-sex couples?

Just to add. There's several posts that deal with the specifics of this that I've written about earlier. I'm not in favour of denying anyone anything.

• Moderators Posts: 51,724 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

No

Did you have difficulty with my question?

How is allow marriage equality detrimental to society?

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

No
    I was totally going to photoshop David Quinn's face into the Goatse, er, hole, when I got home from work today to illustrate how I feel about that odious little man, but I just don't have the stomach to stare at David Quinn's face for long enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

No
    I'm a married man, and my marriage will not be changed one iota by letting gay people marry.

I will certainly vote Yes, it's basic fairness.

Daith wrote: »
    Honest question Phill. Why change voting and give it women. Why change marriage and allow interracial marriage.

I really was expecting a better answer than your repetitive nonsense.

Don't like it, don't read it. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Daith

No
    I'm not in favour of denying anyone anything.

Except extending marriage to LGBT couples. So yes you are.

No
    Just to add. There's several posts that deal with the specifics of this that I've written about earlier. I'm not in favour of denying anyone anything.

You're not in favour of marriage equality. You said that you think civil partnership is the way to go. That is denying same-sex couples the opportunity to marry and have it legally recognised here.

No
    Don't like it, don't read it. Simples.

It's more bemusement to be honest.

• Advertisement

Did you have difficulty with my question?

How is allow marriage equality detrimental to society?

Are we talking about marriage equality as I outlined earlier or same sex marriage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

No
    Sarky wrote: »
    I was totally going to photoshop David Quinn's face into the Goatse, er, hole, when I got home from work today to illustrate how I feel about that odious little man, but I just don't have the stomach to stare at David Quinn's face for long enough.

I think that's more the sort of thing he would do,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,932 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No
    Are we talking about marriage equality as I outlined earlier or same sex marriage?
    Are you distinguishing the two as different?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You're not in favour of marriage equality. You said that you think civil partnership is the way to go. That is denying same-sex couples the opportunity to marry and have it legally recognised here.

Not legally recognised how? Legislation would allow for same sex partnerships. Thats y'know, legal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

No
    LookingFor wrote: »
    Hey RTE, can I get some money the next time Iona defames me on air by saying I would be bad parent/am stealing marriage/etc?

This got me thinking I might suggest to Gay HQ that all the Gays in Ireland watch/listen to every single Iona spokesperson given air time on the 'National' broadcaster and pay very close attention to what they say so we can note every time they defame us - then we ALL fire off solicitors letters to everybody.

Are you distinguishing the two as different?

Which two?
    I asked why we should change it when the system we have works, and has been proven to work for centuries. I then went on to contextualise the statement by saying that same sex partnership legislation would cover the rights issue.

With me?

Also. I argued that if we're going to have a referendum on marriage equality, then lets have it. Lets include polygamy as it is more popular than gay marriage.

With me still?

As a sideline argument posters but forward the very important issue of fathers rights which are currently being ignored by the state. Any new legislation needs to take into account these rights as a matter of urgency.

This is the post that I'm referring to

No
    Not legally recognised how? Legislation would allow for same sex partnerships. Thats y'know, legal.

So will same sex marriage next year.

No

same-sex marriage is about marriage equality. :confused:
    They can't legally marry, so how could it be legal?

So what are your reasons for not being in favour of marriage equality for same-sex couples? How will it negatively impact society?

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    This got me thinking I might suggest to Gay HQ that all the Gays in Ireland watch/listen to every single Iona spokesperson given air time on the 'National' broadcaster and pay very close attention to what they say so we can note every time they defame us - then we ALL fire off solicitors letters to everybody.

lol.

I'd should do the same with every other poster on boards it seems.

No
    same-sex marriage is about marriage equality. :confused:

He's bringing back polygamy again. I wish he'd focus on what the referendum is next year rather than what he thinks it is.

• Advertisement

They can't legally marry, so how could it be legal?

This really is going around in circles.

I cant deal with posting and reposting the same stuff over and over..............

Theres a button in the pull down menu that includes all my earlier posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Which two?

This is the post that I'm referring to

Folks: please do yourselves all a favour and stop feeding the troll.

Your energies are far better-off channelled into debating with those who sincerely care to debate diverging perspectives from your own.

My best advice is to politely ignore him until he figures how to coherently express why he believes what he believes.

Phil Ewinn, if you do earnestly care to debate the content of Post #767, I refer your to #419. Take all the time you need ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Okay, in the interests of getting this thread back on track:

Phil Ewinn, don't post in this thread again. You're purposefully winding people up and it's just ridiculous at this stage.

Everyone else, get back to the topic at hand.

It's also worth noting that a user refusing to answer your questions is not a breach of the charter. If you feel they're trolling, then report them and DO NOT respond to them. Otherwise... well, I'm sure we've all read this thread.

No
    It's kinda of amazing watching history programs and going "Bloody hell how did people think lack of womens rights, racism, sexism, xenophobia" were okay. How could people think like that?

Then you read through some of these posts and go "ah right that's how".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Gustavo Kuerten

lol.

I'd should do the same with every other poster on boards it seems.

Hi Phil,

Can you explain what change on society you believe legal same sex marriage would have and do you think they would be negative changes?

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Hi Phil,

Can you explain what change on society you believe legal same sex marriage would have and do you think they would be negative changes?

Think you missed the boat there Gustavo Kuerten. See Moderator post #744 above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Shakti

No
    set sail for the hebrides no doubt

No
    So that's 447 (so far) who think the Iona Institute is homophobic versus 54 who don't. That's over 89% of people sampled who believe the Iona Institute is homophobic. Even taking into account that the pool of boards.ie users isn't an entirely accurate representation of the population as a whole, that's still quite a large majority.

Of course, since the definition of what constitutes homophobia is seemingly a decision for the Iona Institute and their legal team rather than people like Rory O'Neill (who, y'know, ACTUALLY experience it) we now have 447 people "closing down debate on same sex marriage and adoption”, as Mr. Quinn puts it. Wonder will we see 447 legal letters on the way to boards HQ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭whats the point

Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats or views other people with fear, distrust, hatred, contempt, or intolerance on the basis of a person's opinion, ethnicity, race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics.

Works both ways, a lot of Bigotry in this thread from both sides.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No
    Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot: someone who, as a result of their prejudices, treats or views other people with fear, distrust, hatred, contempt, or intolerance on the basis of a person's opinion, ethnicity, race, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, socioeconomic status, or other characteristics.

Works both ways, a lot of Bigotry in this thread from both sides.

I don't hate their religion "love one another as I have loved you" is the fundamental Christian message.

Advertisement