Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Envelop Gun Case Review

Options
  • 24-07-2013 4:51pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Got a gift the other day from my Uncle and thought i'd do a review on it after using it for the last few days.

It's a gun case made by Envelop Protective Covers. They are a large scale company that make protective covers for everything from agricultral to military machines. Army, Navy as well as industrial applications. They also do a small range of gun case.

They are not available in Ireland, but my Uncle lives in the north, and does a lot of traveling for his business and picked one up for me.They come in other sizes and depths, but as it's a gift i'm not going to argue. For shotgun it's 48 or 50" and for rifles it's 48" to 52" which should cover most brands, and depending on depth will accommodate all scoped rifle.

My one is 52" long, and the narrow version. As i have covers for the RPA, and Remmy i'm not too upset that it doesn't really fit. The RPA will fit if i remove the snap caps, but the Remmy is taller/deeper than the RPA so it will not fit. The cover is 8" deep so the Anschutz and shotgun fit is perfectly. I wanted one for my shotgun even though i have the Beretta case and the reason is the shotgun is taken out in all weather conditions and after hearing about these covers i wanted to try one.

The reason i wanted one was because of what the company claim it does. You can put a wet gun into the case, and if you leave it there for a few hours the case actually absorbs the water and moisture and through a new breathable padding system and draws the moisture away from the gun, and allows it to evaporate through case. This means if you are out for the day you can throw the gun into the case and it will eventually dry it for you meaning no rushing home.

I've had it out for a few days and it keeps the dust out perfectly, but other cases do that too so i wanted to try it out in the wet. I don't fully understand the technology and frankly i don't need to, but decided to put it to the test (unintentionally) the yesterday. So i went out in the morning (early) and then again before lunch. With the heavy downpours i brought the case for the .22. Not a great morning with a few shots at some birds. Feck all rabbits out. Anyway got caught with a shower and threw the gun into the case. Was parked up for about 40 minutes and as it wasn't letting up i decided to head home. Came home got some breakfast and then took the gun out of the case.

The majority of the water was gone. However the inside of the case was not damp or wet. Nor was the outside. So no water was trapped allowing it to touch the barrel or stock. Was well impressed. I gave the rifle a wipe of an oily cloth and there were no water marks or need for scrubbing.

The cover also guarantees to reduce rusting/corrosion by over 90%. So between the claims, and the actual results i'm happy enough. So much so i've asked my uncle to pick me up two more for the other rifles except the wider versions. I've no idea on price as he wouldn't take anything for it, but he said he'd let me know. It'll be a few weeks before i know but i'll update when i get prices. I don't think they'll be cheap, but frankly who cares. i'm not after spending thousands on rifles and shotguns to leave them in an €80 - €100 case that sweats them and lets water soak through it.

As said above they are not available here so i've no idea even when he does get me a price, when he'll have them, but when he does i'll stick up some pictures.

picture.php?albumid=2359&pictureid=14891

picture.php?albumid=2359&pictureid=14892

picture.php?albumid=2359&pictureid=14893

picture.php?albumid=2359&pictureid=14894

picture.php?albumid=2359&pictureid=14895

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

I read a review of them in a US (Canadian?) mag a while back. They are a very ‘top-end’ gunslip, guaranteed for several years. The multilayer fabric was developed for the Navy, wicks water from the inside, stores it in a middle layer and then exudes it on the outside. From memory they are about $300 each. Nice uncle!

Link

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Holy Crap. He is a nice Uncle. He wouldn't answer me on when i asked about price, and there was nothing on their website.

As nice as he is though i don't think it cost him anything. He works in that industry and carries stuff from Envelop as part of his dealings. The last time he was down (January) he told me about them and i asked him to see if he could get one. So it may have been a demo model he gave me, but i don't care.

I see him once or twice a year. He knows i'm into the shooting, and everytime he is down i bring him out for a day. He didn't have the time this trip, but said he would come back for a days stalking when the deer are in. Guess i owe him a couple of deer. :D

Either way i'm chuffed with the case, and well impressed that it actually does what it says on the tin (website). I'd really like the bigger, black ones but as said above i don't see him often and must wait. Hope he doesn't think i'm taking advantage of his good nature. I did ask him to buy them for me so will have to wait and see what he comes back with.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement