Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Player Watchlist

Options
  • 21-07-2013 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭

Think it might be a good idea to have a watchlist of 'unknown' players ahead of GW1. Some of these are likely to warm the bench for most of the season but it's important to put a bit of time into these players, as they will likely be called up on a few occasions throughout the season and you need to ensure that they at least bag you 2 points. It helps if they have the ability to bang in goals/assists, like Sterling last season.

Defenders

Ben Turner (Cardiff - £4m)
    My pick of the £4m defenders. I think Cardiff have a strong defence and Turner played more games than the other £4m options (McNaughton + Nugent). Well capable of getting forward too with 8 goals/5 assists over the previous three seasons.

Matthew Connolly/Mark Hudson (Cardiff - £4.5m)
    Connolly hit the ground running in his first season with Cardiff notching up 5 goals last season, a cracking return for a defender. I don't know much else about him but definitely one to watch. Same goes for his teammate Mark Hudson, who at 31 is 6 years older but still managed 4 goals/2 assists last season. This followed his 5 goals/3 assists from the previous season, definitely well able to pick up points these two.

Micky Turner/Martin Olssen (Norwich - £4.5m)
    Fan favourite from last year with 3 goals, although he only played 25 games. Team-mate Olssen is also a good shout with 3 assists last year, although he too only played about 25 games and is not guaranteed a place right from the start.

Seamus Coleman (Everton - £5m)
    Most people have already spotted Coleman. £5m for a player who should essentially be a winger, and if he repeats the 10/11 he should be good for some goals/assists this year. A steal at £5m (he was £7m in 10/11)

Per Mertesacker (Arsenal - £5.5m)
    There's a lot of value in the Arsenal defence this year, they had 14 clean sheets last and have a good start this year. With Sebastien Squillaci released, Johan Djourou off on a season-long loan to Hamburg and club captain Thomas Vermaelen out for three months with a back injury, Per Mertesacker is the only experienced centre-half at manager Wenger’s disposal. And with Koscielny now injured and possibly out for the start of the season Mertesacker becomes the best option if you want an Arsenal defender. 3 goals last year from the big man are an added bonus.

John Terry (Chelsea - £6m)
    Not exactly 'unknown' but possibly overlooked. 10 goals in the last two seasons, despite only playing 40-ish games. His return is far better than that of any defender, including Baines. The only question is whether he will tie down a spot. I'm hoping Mourinho has faith in him and gives him his spot back, if he does I think he is the best value player in the game this year.

Midfielders

Kagisho Dikgacoi (Crystal Palace - £4.5m)
    My third bench spot will be taken up by the cheapest midfielder I can find, and in the £4.5m range one of the best options I can find is Dikgacoi. Seems to play every game for Palace and was good for 5 goals and 2 assists last season. While it's unlikely I'll start him all too often. he should be reliable to at least pull in 2 points and if he does bang in a goal or assist in the first few weeks expect his price to rise.

Stephen Quinn (Hull - £4.5m)
    Another one that I haven't heard anyone mention is Irishman Stephen Quinn. 3 goals/6 assists last season for Hull and seems to play every game. He was a regular in the side playing every game in 12/13, and seems to do well with getting forward - the previous season at Sheff Utd he picked up 3 goals/13 assists.

Pete Whittingham/Aron Gunnarsson (Cardiff - £5m)
    Whittingham has gone under a lot of people's radars when they look at Cardiff. He had a cracking season in 09/10 banging in 25 goals/13 assists. He moved into a more central role after the arrival of Bellamy, but has a keen eye for goal and can play as a second striker if needed. Even in the central role he's still managed 8 goals/7 assists last season, and 13 goals/13 assists the season before. If Bellamy doesn't play as much, he could end up moving back into a more attacking position. He also takes penalties and free kicks. Unfortunately he's fallen out of favour a bit and hasn't scored since October 2012. Aron Gunnarsson seems to be more favoured than Whittingham, but currently out of action with a dislocated shoulder. Unsure if he'll make the start of the season but with 8 goals/5 assists last year we'll have to see if he slips in ahead of Whittingham.

Robert Koren/Robbie Brady (Hull - £5m)
    A lot of people are looking at Robbie Brady as their £5m option but I think his teammate Robert Koren could actually be a better shout. 9 goals/5 assists last season and 10 goals/7 assists the previous one. It's a close call between the two though. Brady scored less goals last season (4), but managed 13 assists. I'm not sure which of them will be on penalties and free kicks though, maybe a Hull fan can clear this up? Might be the deciding factor.

Victor Wanyama (Southampton - £5m)
    I'm not sure what the hype is about Wanyama, over 10% ownership. 6 goals/3 assists last season for Celtic, and didn't even play every game. Whittingham or one of the Hull duo are much better choices imo.

Strikers

Wilfried Bony (Swansea £8m)
    I hadn't actually heard much about him before last week, but one look at his stats says it all. 31 goals in 24 league games last season, including a spell where he banged in 15 goals in 10 games, including 2 hat-tricks. Definitely one to watch, but I'm wary of whether he will hit the ground running in the opening game for a new club, against champions United. I have a feeling he could arrive with a bang, just like Cisse in 11/12. Will keep a close eye on Swansea's pre-season friendlies, it's a toss up between Bony, Rooney and Negredo who gets my last spot.

Ricky Van Wolfswinkle (Norwich - £7m)
    A lot of people are going for him due to his 'cheap' price-tag but I'm not fully convinced yet. He scores on average just under 1 goal in every 2 games which isn't an amazing return for a striker but would be about the same as Berbatov or Lambert. He's joining Norwich who aren't known for their attacking potential, but there's a lot of hype about him so definitely need to keep an eye on him over the next few weeks.

Dimitar Berbatov (Fulham - £7.5m)
    Can't see how I can avoid him at this price. Not much needs to be said about him - lethal when on form and should be good for 15 goals a season.

Alvaro Negredo (Man City - £?)
    Will be interesting to see what price he comes in at, I expect him to start as a lone striker ahead of Aguero. 32 goals in all comps for Seville last year, he could run riot over the first few games for City. If he's priced £10m or lower he will be snapped up.

If anyone has any players to add, post below. You can enjoy the glory when they bang in a hat-trick in GW1 (or delete your post when they don't even make the squad). Same goes if you have anything to add on my picks, I don't pretend to know about some of these players in huge detail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭bodking

Craig Noone ( Cardiff - 5m ) 7 goals last season and I believe a few assists as well

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I have to throw in Kevin Mirallas (Everton 7.5) who's playing "midfield" when in fact he's really a "second striker". He was injured for a long spell mid-season last year but when fit, he played, scored goals and looked a genuine threat. At 7.5 he's at an awkward price but if somebody didn't fancy either Walcott or Hazard and wanted an extra 2.0 to play with he's a serious candidate.

He is one of my dead-certs right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Zaha at 6.5m is definitely on my watchlist , he's been brilliant so far in pre season . With Valencia out of form & Nani's future uncertain he could nail down the right wing spot for United.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Nacir Chadli might be one to consider for those without Bale. I'd imagine he has been signed to replace Lennon, and he has 26 goals in 49 games over the last two seasons from the right hand side of a 4-3-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭NN215

Arouna Kone (Everton - 7M) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

Jay Rodriguez 6M

I think this is a great price, 1-1.5 million less than players I have in the same category.

I watched two Sthm games on tv towards the end of last season and think this guy has great potential, and with this price and nice fixtures I am putting him in starting 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Gino Peruzzi is going into my team if he's 4.5M - 5M for Sunderland. he's shares Argentina's right back/ wing back position with Zabaleta and is really good on the ball. he also can slot in at left back if needed. definite starter!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

They need to put Negredo in already! Really hoping he's below £10m.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

If Negredo comes in under 10m I'll have to redo my whole team! :P Debating Wanyama or one of the Hull boys now after reading this thread. Stupid decisions.

I think he might come in at £9.5m

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Dubliner28

Will Zaha start for United?

Dubliner28 wrote: »

Hard to know . Valencia & Nani aren't on the pre season tour so he's got game time on the right wing but he's been pretty impressive so far .

It's definitely worth keeping an eye on over the next few weeks though .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭Hogey007

Dubliner28 wrote: »

i'd be surprised if he was a regular to begin with, but worth keeping an eye on at his price.
    I think nani and valencia will be first choice for those positions with young to come back too, welbeck an option there too. and if fabregas was to come in it might see kagawa being pushed into a wide position again.

So i wouldn't start with him but keep an eye on him, valencia was shockingly poor last season and we all know hoe inconsistent nani can be despite his obvious talent so it's possible that zaha could impress and start to feature a lot more. United haven't loaned him out again this season so there is some plan for him to get gametime but like i said, i wouldn't start the season with him in your team.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

swoody wrote: »
    Gino Peruzzi is going into my team if he's 4.5M - 5M for Sunderland. he's shares Argentina's right back/ wing back position with Zabaleta and is really good on the ball. he also can slot in at left back if needed. definite starter!

Can't say I've seen too much of him myself, but South American experts say he is absolutely excellent. There's been a problem with his medical though, it picked up a small ligament injury, but hopefully it won't be enough to ruin the deal, as he'd no doubt go elsewhere and become a star.

Just remember Sunderland play 6 of last seasons top 8 in their first 8 home games.

Sunderland have a pretty crap start though.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,081 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

yeah, i'd be inclined to stay away from Swansea and Sunderland to start with.

Hatem Ben Arfa (Newcastle 7.0) is somebody who deserves to be on the radar. He won't be touched by many serious players for GW1, although he's on 6% at the moment which is a little surprising. But like Kagawa and others if he shows signs of being fit and some of the form he showed in the latter half of the season before last he could be another option. Newcastle have a very handy run of fixtures until November after City away first time out.

Newcastle have been soundly beaten in their pre-season friendlies, not to mention almost getting relegated last year. I wouldn't touch their players yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

roryc wrote: »
    Newcastle have been soundly beaten in their pre-season friendlies, not to mention almost getting relegated last year. I wouldn't touch their players yet.

And with Cisse basically refusing to play for the team because of the whole 'Wonga sponsorship fiasco', they're going to be massive relegation candidates this year.

Oh yeah I won't be touching him for now but there may be potential a few weeks into the season, then again it is Newcastle :pac:

• Advertisement

Debuchy is rumoured to want out already as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I think Kagawa might be worth looking at and even if Rooney decides to leave he will play the CAM just like he dominated at Dortmund.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Anybody like Natasic for 5.5million. Will be a regular starter for City who will keep clean sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I think it's worth having a look at Nani over the next few weeks. If he decides to stay and can get back into the team then he is serious value at 7.5 million.

I know I'm using the word 'if' a lot, but he could easily rack up the points if he's playing consistently. He killed it in the '10/11 season and was very good in the season before last.

I think it's worth having a look at Nani over the next few weeks. If he decides to stay and can get back into the team then he is serious value at 7.5 million.

I know I'm using the word 'if' a lot, but he could easily rack up the points if he's playing consistently. He killed it in the '10/11 season and was very good in the season before last.

united play in the morning and he's not even in the squad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

united play in the morning and he's not even in the squad

I know. He had a nose job or something ridiculous like that done.

I did say to wait a few weeks. It all depends on a few variables but if he gets past those he could be a brilliant pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,640 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Anybody like Natasic for 5.5million. Will be a regular starter for City who will keep clean sheets.

Sounds silly but does nothing but defend,no gaols,no assits so on that at 5.5 i would class him expensive,other defenders give more at cheaper like Turner

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭moreau

I know. He had a nose job or something ridiculous like that done.

I did say to wait a few weeks. It all depends on a few variables but if he gets past those he could be a brilliant pick.

+1 First 11 evidence certainly needed in case of Nani

I agree on potential though a few seasons ago he was unreal and greedy as hell, which was great for FF!

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Newgrange Warrior

Lampard anybody at 8m?

• Advertisement

Advertisement