Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Waterford or Limerick The Oldest City In Ireland

Options
  • 30-05-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

I don't want a slagging match here so keep that rubbish out of this thread.I always thought Waterford was the oldest city in Ireland but according to someone on the Limerick forum Limerick was granted a city charter before Waterford.Is this a clear cut issue?Which one is actually the oldest?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Chris Ryan

Fairly sure it's Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Limerick looks older anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

They are referring the the Charter of King John presumably. Limerick 1199 Waterford 1206.
    Dublin is 1172, Cork is 1185, Kilkenny is 1383 (status since lost though the name remains for local pride) and Galway only in 1985.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Go to wiki, sort by date, here's what they say:

Dublin 1172
    Cork 1185
    Limerick 1199
    Waterford 1206
    Kilkenny 1383

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

mike65 wrote: »
    They are referring the the Charter of King John presumably. Limerick 1199 Waterford 1206.
    Dublin is 1172, Cork is 1185, Kilkenny is 1383 (status since lost though the name remains for local pride) and Galway only in 1985.

So does that mean that Limerick is the oldest city in Ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

no ...it means Dublin is.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭A0

No... Galway is...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Dublin is the oldest both as a "City" and the first significant population centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

My favourite game is calling Kilkenny a town in front of Kilkenny people, it's great fun.

Kilkenny has a Cathedral you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Tim the Enchanter

Waterford was one of the first major settlements in Ireland. Founded by the vikings in the 9th century. Also Cromwell never got his slimey hands on it. Our national flag was also first raised in waterford.

• Advertisement

corktina wrote: »
    no ...it means Dublin is.....

God how did i miss that!So Dublin 1172 Cork 1185 Limerick 1199 and Waterford 1206.So Cork is actually the second oldest city in Ireland?

Waterford was one of the first major settlements in Ireland. Founded by the vikings in the 9th century. Also Cromwell never got his slimey hands on it. Our national flag was also first raised in waterford.

So you don't go by the charter of king john you go back to the 9th century when the settlement of what is now Waterford was being developed by the vikings before any of Dublin Cork and Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

And we were ate'n Blaas when all the rest of them were still ate'n soggy spuds.

Yes. Also s

If that's the case so it's all about perception.Going on what you said Waterford was an urban settlement before some english kings charter.Therefore i consider Waterford to be irelands oldest city.

So you don't go by the charter of king john you go back to the 9th century when the settlement of what is now Waterford was being developed by the vikings before any of Dublin Cork and Limerick?

Yes. Also the earliest settlement in Ireland was found in Waterford when the city square shopping centre was being built in the early 90's. Who gave king john the authority to dictate history?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

mike65 wrote: »
    Fairly sure Galway became a "city" in the 1480's.

Yes. Also the earliest settlement in Ireland was found in Waterford when the city square shopping centre was being built in the early 90's. Who gave king john the authority to dictate history?

That's my question answered so like it or lump it Waterford is the oldest city in Ireland and i have to say it's one of irelands true hidden treasures.Why can't ye market that status by drawing the tourists in?They all choose Cork Dublin and Galway for their city breaks.It look's like those places market themselves better.

Fairly sure Galway became a "city" in the 1480's.

Did it i was sure Galway was only considered to be a town up until the late 1970's.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterford

Waterford is the recognised as the oldest city in Ireland. We will be celebrating 1,100 very shortly. Long before British rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterford

Waterford is the recognised as the oldest city in Ireland. We will be celebrating 1,100 very shortly. Long before British rule.

When will that be and more importantly where is the party? I suggest something similar to tall ships weekend but we must have sun, that's very important.

• Advertisement

That's my question answered so like it or lump it Waterford is the oldest city in Ireland and i have to say it's one of irelands true hidden treasures.Why can't ye market that status by drawing the tourists in?They all choose Cork Dublin and Galway for their city breaks.It look's like those places market themselves better.

I agree but unfortunatly most politcal entities do not share this view.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

Waterford isnt a real city to be fair. it's far too small.

omega666 wrote: »

History say's otherwise.None of Irelands cities outside of Dublin would be cities on a global scale but Waterford is very much a city by irish standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

yeah because we havent had this retárded argument 10237309372 on boards before. Go away with comments like that, derailing threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

History say's otherwise.None of Ireland cities outside of Dublin would be cities on a global scale but Waterford is very much a city by irish standards.

I'd say all these Americans coming over for the gathering are looking at all the cities in the country and thinking Jesus this is just a small town.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭omega666

History say's otherwise.None of Irelands cities outside of Dublin would be cities on a global scale but Waterford is very much a city by irish standards.

Cork would, and Possibly Limerick.
    Waterford is only a large town in reality.

But thats not the question here. Waterford has more history inside her walls than most so called citys throughout the world

Take the Waterford bashing somewhere else.Im from Cork and it would be my favourite irish city.It's the perfect size it's not too big or too small but Cork and Limerick wouldn't be classed as cities on a global scale.Even Dublin is pretty small compared to other major cities in Europe,Australia and the USA!Cork and Limerick are a fair bit bigger than Waterford but like it or lump it Waterford is a city and it's the oldest city in Ireland actually so put that in your pipe and smoke it.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

If that's the case so it's all about perception.Going on what you said Waterford was an urban settlement before some english kings charter.Therefore i consider Waterford to be irelands oldest city.

Why ask a question if you are going to ignore the answer and just go with what you want to think anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Neeson wrote: »
    I'd say all these Americans coming over for the gathering are looking at all the cities in the country and thinking Jesus this is just a small town.

in the usa there are 'cities' with a population of just a few hundred

Advertisement