Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huawei Ascend G330

Options
  • 29-11-2012 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Was looking around on emobile's site and came across the Huawei Ascend G330 for €149. Like the specs and most importantly the price.

Just have few questions:

Is it a replacement for the G300?

Anyone with experience of Huawei phones?

Would anyone recommend this phone?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Simi

Damn. My dad just picked up the g300 a few weeks ago, I'd imagine he'd have been alot happier with a dual core device. I may try and convince him to flog the g300 while it's still nice and shiny and get this instead.

Comparing the two, the only real downsides are the downgrade to a TFT screen and the loss of FM radio. The upgrade to a dual core processor more than makes up for it and the front facing camera is a nice addition.

Judging from the specs I would have to say that this is definitely a step up from the g300 and far better value. I can only assume vodafone will drop the price of the g300 to compete. I'd wait until there's a few reviews out before taking the plunge though.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Just to note on this, picked it up at the weekend, very happy so far but too early to really tell.

There is the FM radio on it however. Any other questions fire my way and I'll try answer

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

There is the FM radio on it however.
    ?

So it does have an FM radio? gsmarena says it doesn't, but pdadb says it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

TheAmateur wrote: »
    ?

So it does have an FM radio? gsmarena says it doesn't, but pdadb says it does.

I wasn't expecting to have it, checked in tools and it's there. Meteor have it listed in their specs also ( https://store.meteor.ie/phones/pay-as-you-go-phones/huawei-g330 ) . Can't seem to take a screen grab

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

I wasn't expecting to have it, checked in tools and it's there. Meteor have it listed in their specs also. Can't seem to take a screen grab
    That's good news, thanks :). Thinking of getting one of these now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Bought one of these this week - they're strangely not really advertised or displayed within the Meteor stores! But they should have a demo one at the counter if you actually ask for one. Note that the phone looks really like an iPhone, apart from the ugly Huawei label on the front!

Not only is there an FM radio (headphones have to be connected though for reception), there's also apparently an FM transmitter to play your stored music on a car radio! Have yet to find this though...

I've noticed some really annoying things like the fact that the battery indication is tiny and lacks detail (e.g. percentage left or number of bars). Appears to be no way to change this. Also, the phone keypad is quite poor in my opinion, and again there's no way to change it. There are essentially no divisions between the numbers which are all offset to one side. And finally, the battery level dropped quite quickly when I initially played around with the phone - usually a brand new, fully charged battery would be relatively slow to discharge.

Would recommend that you play around with one of these phones instore to get a better feel. To anyone who has one, I went for one based on the great reviews of the G300 and the fact that the newer G330 model is the same price here in Ireland. However, I am mystified over why a modern smartphone does not give a proper battery indication on the home screen or a basic, standard phone keypad - really basic stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Has anyone unlocked either the emobile or Meteor one yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ecc

I got mine Meteor one unlocked here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181029885035?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 ... Takes about 24 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Picked one of these up for a family member. They had their G300 stolen.

It's a very nice phone for 150 quid. I played around with it for a few hours and couldn't fault it.
    I can confirm FM radio is there alright, but didn't see the transmitter option!

MrThrifty is right - the keyboard is crap. But thankfully there are plenty of alternatives available in the market.

Edit: Perhaps this thread should be moved to the Android forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

I've had mine a few days, and I'm fairly happy with it. Disabling the DTS audio improved the sound quality for earphones.

Android is a bit laggy though. Other than that I can't complain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭zil

Any word on what the battery life is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Thinking of this tomorrow? any other opinions?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Bought one of these this week - they're strangely not really advertised or displayed within the Meteor stores! But they should have a demo one at the counter if you actually ask for one. Note that the phone looks really like an iPhone, apart from the ugly Huawei label on the front!

Not only is there an FM radio (headphones have to be connected though for reception), there's also apparently an FM transmitter to play your stored music on a car radio! Have yet to find this though...

Hi, got one of these today, any luck finding the FM Transmitter yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Brother bought one of these today as he lost his G300.

Anyone know about rooting etc? Can't find much on the internet about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Nascimento

Purchased this phone yesterday, and I have to say I am impressed. I'm a previous owner of an iPhone 4, 4s and a Samsung Galaxy mini. The Huawei stands up in comparison to the iPhones, if not better. Bargain at €150.

Got it unlock (approx €7) using info supplied in post below.
    ecc wrote: »
    I got mine Meteor one unlocked here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181029885035?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 ... Takes about 24 hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Nascimento wrote: »
    Purchased this phone yesterday, and I have to say I am impressed. I'm a previous owner of an iPhone 4, 4s and a Samsung Galaxy mini. The Huawei stands up in comparison to the iPhones, if not better. Bargain at €150.

Got it unlock (approx €7) using info supplied in post below.

Do you mean the G300 or 330? Because that add doesn't mention the G330.

BostonB wrote: »

That's the second model mentioned in the ad title. I got mine unlocked from the same seller.

G330.

It's early days, but I love it thus far. The screen is great, and although I have read about problems with the keyboard, I find it fine.

That's the second model mentioned in the ad title. I got mine unlocked from the same seller.

Ah!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Where is the cheapest place to buy this in store people?

• Advertisement

baraca wrote: »
    Where is the cheapest place to buy this in store people?
    I think it is only being sold in meteor shops €149.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Vahevala

I am waiting to see if it drops in the sales first before I think about buying it. Available in emobile/meteor/vodafone

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

I got this phone as a present and I have to say I love it. I like the way you can chose between the huawei's custom icons or the the stock android ones. The screen is really good but the only thing that seems bad is that battery isn't that good but that might change after a few charge cycles.

Has anyone noticed any problems with the spell checker? It offers corrections for my spelling, but every single word, correct and incorrect are underlined red as if they're not in the dictionary.

I have spell checking enabled and set to English.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I was browsing Deal Extreme, they have the G330 at the same price €149 but dual sim: http://dx.com/p/huawei-8825d-android-4-0-bar-phone-w-4-0-capacitive-screen-wi-fi-gps-and-dual-sim-black-161491

And unlocked I assume. Nice find.

Has anyone noticed any problems with the spell checker? It offers corrections for my spelling, but every single word, correct and incorrect are underlined red as if they're not in the dictionary.

I have spell checking enabled and set to English.

Yeah I noticed that, but I don't know if it's a fault or the way it's meant to be. I assume it;s meant to be that way.

And unlocked I assume. Nice find.

Maybe although there's a couple of flies in the ointment; slow delivery from DX, possible customs charges and it might have to be rooted, reviewer says ...
    Cons: Only chinese and english language (but knew this when i bought it) Google play not avaliable but another chinese app store that is of no use and you at not able to install Google play, therefor you have to root it and install Clockworkmod.
    Other: Has rooted the phone and is going to start installing another firmware. Can't use any of the pre installed chinese apps, shipped with the phone.

Full rooting instructions for a China import G330: http://www.modaco.com/topic/359488-how-to-root-huawei-g330/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭breathn

Has anyone else noticed the alarm clock app very often won't register touch, and the phone kicking back to the home screen and bringing up a keyboard a lot?

Advertisement