Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current best value Android Huawei Ascend G300

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Two questions...

(1) can anybody tell me what the Bxxx number is of the most recent stock Vodafone Ireland ICS update available OTA?

(2) anybody know where the stock Vodafone ICS images are available for download and installation (e.g. by CWM)? I did a CWM Nandroid backup of my Vodafone ICS setup before installing Infusion but I tried restoring it and it gave an "error while restoring /system" for some reason (and for a moment I thought that I had bricked it before reinstalling Infusion! :o). I just want the backup in case I ever have hardware problems and have to return the phone to Vodafone. I've seen Vodafone UK ROMs on the web - would these do?

Thanks a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

VF Android 4.0.3 B936

Thanks a lot BostonB. Any idea if/where that image can be downloaded since my backup doesn't seem to restore?! :o

Update: oh - maybe this is it or will do?

http://www.modaco.com/topic/357228-ics-repack-403-b936-u8815-vodafone-ota-release-rom/

I dunno if thats a UK rom that was was pulled originally as being buggy. Could I make a backup of mine? I've not bothered rooting or with roms, as I wasn't sure I'd hang on to the phone.

A few more questions because after some tinkering I am finally installing my G300 for general use... I have tried to read many of the various forums but sometimes it's difficult to get authoritative and non conflicting info! :o

(1) Does it matter which CWM I use - currently on 6.0.1.2 which I got via the "explained like you're 5" tutorial. Seems to be the latest: http://www.modaco.com/topic/353528-clockworkmod-recovery-for-huawei-u8815ascend-g-300/page__st__180#entry2021300.

(2) Anybody use link2sd and does it work OK for you? I have used it on my Huawei U8160/Vodafone Smart 858 and have had some issues with it e.g. sd-ext failing to mount or becoming readonly and apps force closing etc. - usually a few reboots and recreation of the link2sd script fixes things but it's all a bit messy. I'm hoping that it works better on the G300... Or should I just stick with native Android apps2sd even if it moves less than link2sd and apps will not work when using USB file sharing...?

(3) The CWM on my Huawei U8160 supports creation/formatting of sd-ext but the G300 CWM does not so I guess I have to do this manually using a Windows partition tool as per the link2sd FAQ?

(4) Anybody using a custom kernel (e.g. Geno Kolar or OmegaMoon) - presumably mainly for overclocking? I believe that the kernel can be flashed independently so that you can switch between kernels "beneath" the existing Infusion ROM installed?

(5) Any other general tips (broad question I know! :o)?

Thanks a lot.

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote: »
    I dunno if thats a UK rom that was was pulled originally as being buggy. Could I make a backup of mine? I've not bothered rooting or with roms, as I wasn't sure I'd hang on to the phone.
    Thanks. Not sure either. I guess I had B936 installed when I did a CWM backup but for some reason it won't restore. Not sure if it's some clash with what was installed subsequently with Infusion B05!?! I'm still reading up on things but some of the stuff about CWM, boot loaders, RILs, kernels, ROMs, mismatches between some or all of these etc. can be a bit confusing... :o If you were able to do a backup and post it somewhere that I could try I'd appreciate it. But if it's hassle don't bother. Thanks again. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Is it by any chance a Sandisk 32gb?
    TM wrote: »
    Just curious - why would that (make/capacity) matter if it was working before but just stopped?

I have a class 10 32GB SanDisk and my G300 (running Infusion) can see it OK. But I haven't used it much yet...

FWIW I've had a 32GB Sandisk just stop working like that recently, albeit in a different phone. It would first fail to load on booting, only being recognised after about three reboots then eventually stopped working altogether.

I have also experienced a 32GB from another brand working fine with one ROM and going into a permanent disk check on another ROM each time it was booted, so it might be worth a shot with another ROM.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭fionn_mac

FWIW I've had a 32GB Sandisk just stop working like that recently, albeit in a different phone. It would first fail to load on booting, only being recognised after about three reboots then eventually stopped working altogether.

I have also experienced a 32GB from another brand working fine with one ROM and going into a permanent disk check on another ROM each time it was booted, so it might be worth a shot with another ROM.
    griffdaddy wrote: »
    Is it by any chance a Sandisk 32gb?

Hi sorry for slow reply. It card in question is 32GB sandisk but I've since tried a 128mb card and still not mounting it so guess its hardware related.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

Is this phone going cheap in the uk anywhere at the minute? or is it best to buy on vodafone ireland and get €20 off for porting a number and €20 via fatcheese (after 6 months or whatever!) moving to uk in january so figure this will be my uk phone....

Is this phone going cheap in the uk anywhere at the minute?
    Not sure - you probably know that it was going cheap (£65?) in Tesco UK (including NI) for a while there. Probably best to check with the usual UK bargain alerts boards (e.g. MoneySavingExpert etc.) in case there are any offers. Seems to be £100 online from Vodafone UK.

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phone/huawei-ascend-g300-payg?icmp=int-vod-huawei-csl-bt1
    or is it best to buy on vodafone ireland and get €20 off for porting a number and €20 via fatcheese (after 6 months or whatever!) moving to uk in january so figure this will be my uk phone....
    If you're buying it here then I believe that's the cheapest way to go. Pity Vodafone haven't offered it for €129.99 again as they did before.

It is just me or are BeThrifty and FatCheese a bit hit and miss when it comes to tracking purchases made through through their sites forwarding/redirecting to the ultimate vendors' sites!?? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Will there be a Jelly Bean update for this phone in the future, d'yiz reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It is just me or are BeThrifty and FatCheese a bit hit and miss when it comes to tracking purchases made through through their sites forwarding/redirecting to the ultimate vendors' sites!?? :(

I bought via BeThrifty - didn't get any cashback. Only time I've ever used it so dunno if this is usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Will there be a Jelly Bean update for this phone in the future, d'yiz reckon?
    Given the debacle that was Huawei and Vodafone's attempt to update to ICS, I'd doubt we'll ever see JB. Huawei have already moved on. The only hope is if CM10 gets released on it and since the current release of CM9 still has plenty of issues, I wouldn't be counting on that either.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I bought via BeThrifty - didn't get any cashback. Only time I've ever used it so dunno if this is usual.
    OK - so not just me I guess? I've had about 50%+ success rate with BeThrifty and FatCheese to date and I'm pretty sure that I'm doing it right! Ah well - better than nothing I suppose... :o

Adyx wrote: »
    Given the debacle that was Huawei and Vodafone's attempt to update to ICS, I'd doubt we'll ever see JB. Huawei have already moved on. The only hope is if CM10 gets released on it and since the current release of CM9 still has plenty of issues, I wouldn't be counting on that either.
    Was just checking out CM9 today and I see that various features don't work so I guess that Infusion is probably still the custom ROM of choice.

For what it's worth there is some CM10/JB stuff here but again it probably has issues:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/356747-dev-jb-cm10-411-cyanogenmod-10-for-the-huawei-ascend-g300-rom-last-updated-2608/

Anybody have any recommendations on kernels to use with Infusion or are most people here just using the (non overclocking?) default one?

http://www.modaco.com/topic/359033-compilationlist-%E2%98%85%E2%98%85%E2%98%85-romskernelsrecoverysmodstutorialsoriginal-firmware-updated-1811%E2%98%85%E2%98%85%E2%98%85/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Was just checking out CM9 today and I see that various features don't work so I guess that Infusion is probably still the custom ROM of choice.

For what it's worth there is some CM10/JB stuff here but again it probably has issues:

http://www.modaco.com/topic/356747-dev-jb-cm10-411-cyanogenmod-10-for-the-huawei-ascend-g300-rom-last-updated-2608/

Anybody have any recommendations on kernels to use with Infusion or are most people here just using the (non overclocking?) default one?

http://www.modaco.com/topic/359033-compilationlist-%E2%98%85%E2%98%85%E2%98%85-romskernelsrecoverysmodstutorialsoriginal-firmware-updated-1811%E2%98%85%E2%98%85%E2%98%85/
    I've tried out the two latest releases of CM9 and I really want it to work but the freezing when switching WiFi on or off makes it a no-go for me. Plus the Netflix app doesn't work on it (not that it works great on anything else either). So for now a stock based rom like Infusion is the way to go.

I haven't tried any other kernels but a lot of people seem to be using the Omegamoon kernel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

there seems to be a problem with the power button on mine
    i have to press it repeatedly to get the display back on
    have there been issues with this?

Adyx wrote: »
    I've tried out the two latest releases of CM9 and I really want it to work but the freezing when switching WiFi on or off makes it a no-go for me. Plus the Netflix app doesn't work on it (not that it works great on anything else either). So for now a stock based rom like Infusion is the way to go.

I haven't tried any other kernels but a lot of people seem to be using the Omegamoon kernel.
    Thanks Adyx.

M cebee wrote: »
    there seems to be a problem with the power button on mine
    i have to press it repeatedly to get the display back on
    have there been issues with this?
    Haven't heard of this as a hardware or a ROM related issue. For what it's worth you can probably use the volume buttons to enable the display on some or all ROMs (by default or through configuration) in case that helps? If it's a hardware fault with your specific handset then you could consider returning it for refund/replacement/repair?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Haven't heard of this as a hardware or a ROM related issue. For what it's worth you can probably use the volume buttons to enable the display on some or all ROMs (by default or through configuration) in case that helps? If it's a hardware fault with your specific handset then you could consider returning it for refund/replacement/repair?
    the display goes off with 1 click
    but i might have to press 4 times to get it back

i was hoping to unlock the phone but this may affect a warranty repair if needed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

M cebee wrote: »
    the display goes off with 1 click
    but i might have to press 4 times to get it back

i was hoping to unlock the phone but this may affect a warranty repair if needed?

Unlocking a phone does NOT void the warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭shovel

Just wondering,

Has anyone found a fix for the low ringer volume

I have it turned up to the last and i can hardly hear it when in my pocket

The message alert volume is a lot higher

What version firmware are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭shovel

BostonB wrote: »
    What version firmware are you on?

is that the kernel version?

if so its 2.6.38.6-perf

android version 2.3.6

base band version 109809

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

shovel wrote: »
    is that the kernel version?

if so its 2.6.38.6-perf

android version 2.3.6

base band version 109809

Reading online the ics update fixes the ringer issue.

I don't have the problem. But I'm on ICS 4 the latest download from Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Capacitive-Screen-Cortex-Android-SmartPhone/dp/B008C0PAFU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1353671548&sr=1-1

Does anyone have any opinion on this chinese android phone, you can get one for around €100 directly from chinese websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

Sorry to hijack thread. Was thinking about getting this but now leaning towards Sony experia j. Any thoughts. What you guys think.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

3rd release of CM9 out, if the WiFi freeze problem has gone gotta try it out. Anybody here on it yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 BannSealz

Hi
    So is the official update to ICS worth getting?
    and does anyone know where i can get a screen for cheap? i shattered mine, it still works tho, just looks bad.
    thanks

Advertisement