Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Sergeant can't afford food

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

From the piece linked above, and so true, as illustrated by posters here:
    If our neighbour is going through a black time, we sift through their rubbish until we can find a reason, however flimsy, to place the blame on them. It’s almost a defence mechanism, as if throwing light on the misfortune of others may cause that misfortune to seep into our own lives, if we don’t hurry to reason why it couldn’t ever possibly.

We have to change, if we want our country to change.

Edit: incidentally, wouldn't it be fun if that article was actually the base research for a piece on whether begrudgery exists in Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Proxy

Edit: incidentally, wouldn't it be fun if that article was actually the base research for a piece on whether begrudgery exists in Ireland?
    Not sure what you mean, I can feed and clothe myself just fine. That post just tries to project blame away from the self onto others. Who got them into the situation but themselves? And, given the evidence, it's not "misfortune", it's extremely poor budget management. More of the same from the way the country used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

€25/week budgeted for heating, yet they sit in an unheated house??

Having to eat cornflakes some days, even though they budget €200/week for food and €60/week for new clothes (this excludes uniforms as they are separately accounted for)

The most worrying thing about this case is that mabs can't see a way of cutting costs and mabs would be happy to refer them to SVdP

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Proxy wrote: »
    Exactly. Just taking the two obvious gapes in the story being the food bill and the erroneous TV licence figure, throws all other numbers into disrepute.

This story succeeded in creating a stir at least.

Agreed, how can someone spending ~€200 a week on food not afford to eat? I wonder where she's shopping, because it certainly isn't Lidl or Aldi; sounds more like M&S and an expensive butchers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Even funnier if it was about people who defend the indefensible no matter how stupid the circumstances. "oh was my dishes by hand? You must be joking, what would the neighbours think?" "Cancel my sky sports? Oh gosh, can't live with out that. The son loves his premiership". Gotta love those first world problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Dean09 wrote: »
    No sympathy from me. If they can't survive on €65k a year then that's their own fault.
    where did you get the €65k from? I estimate that this family (of 5 I would say as they they needed a bigger house) are left with around €21k after they are pickpocketed by the government.
    Then there's the education system in this country which is nothing more than extortion ( books etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

where did you get the €65k from? I estimate that this family (of 5 I would say as they they needed a bigger house) are left with around €21k after they are pickpocketed by the government.
    Then there's the education system in this country which is nothing more than extortion ( books etc)

Where did you pluck that figure from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

Dan133269 wrote: »
    All the tales from people suffering from the recession have evoked different reactions from me, but this story really tugged at my heart strings. A working Garda sergeant is unable to feed his family.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/1017/1224325341332.html

According to his wife:

Where's a secret millionaire when you need them? Obviously I'm being sarcastic. This kind of whingeing really sickens me. There are people who are genuinely struggling, and this family making at least 65k a year gross (no mention on whether she's working or not) are moaning that they can't put food on the table. How in the name of god are they managing their finances?

He cant afford to take his children to private school & has to drive a car thats more than 4 years old Poor old sod :mad:. try live on €9000 per yr social welfare . .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Where did you pluck that figure from?
    20% tax on 41k and the higher rate on the rest.
    after tax and mortgage repayments they wouldn't have much more than that to live on.
    (they need a roof over their heads unless they live in a caravan)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

SIX PACK wrote: »
    He cant afford to take his children to private school & has to drive a car thats more than 4 years old Poor old sod :mad:. try live on €9000 per yr social welfare . .

where he wouldn't need a car, or pay for rent/mortgage etc.

do people really believe we should all be earning social welfare rates?

20% tax on 41k and the higher rate on the rest.
    after tax and mortgage repayments they wouldn't have much more than that to live on.
    (they need a roof over their heads unless they live in a caravan)

After mortgage, yes. But they can earn 24K without tax, like everybody else.

I believe the point was 'if you think you're having a hard time living on €65k, try living on €9K'. Not that €9k should be the average wage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Do people really believe those on SW get free housing?

They do not.

From the 188 euro per week those in receipt of rent allowance have to pay a minimum of 30 euro per week towards their rent - or around 30% of their income. Same for those in LA housing.
    SW recipients who have mortgages may be able to get help with the interest only portion - but this is of limited duration and by no means guaranteed.

Why would someone on SW not need a car? Do people on the dole not have to drop their kids to school? In large parts of this country there is little or no public transport but according to some being on SW means one can walk or cycle everywhere - even if it is lashing rain and one is going to for a job interview...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

look, all arguments aside, one simple fact that nobody can dispute is that the family spend 200 quid a week on food. Its written in one of the reports (along with an incorrect TV licence figure - world class journalism there).

It is not only doable to feed a family on 200 quid a week, it's easy. So it's obvious for anybody with a brain to realise that this is the parents' fault for being stupid with money.

'cornflake days' me hole.

kylith wrote: »
    I believe the point was 'if you think you're having a hard time living on €65k, try living on €9K'. Not that €9k should be the average wage.

Yeah but that excludes rent, mortgage, and other costs paid for by the government . A per capita untaxed income of 9K is not that smaller than the per-capita income of this family. Possibly more. If they had that per person in that household, they would be on 36K post tax and mortgage, but prior to other expenses.

phasers wrote: »
    look, all arguments aside, one simple fact that nobody can dispute is that the family spend 200 quid a week on food. Its written in one of the reports (along with an incorrect TV licence figure - world class journalism there).

It is not only doable to feed a family on 200 quid a week, it's easy. So it's obvious for anybody with a brain to realise that this is the parents' fault for being stupid with money.

'cornflake days' me hole.
    I've been wondering about the TV licence amount. Is it possible that it's so high because they have more than one telly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I've been wondering about the TV licence amount. Is it possible that it's so high because they have more than one telly?

No:pac::pac:

Only one licence is required for each address regardless of the number of televisions present.

Unless it's different for the Gardai:D

• Registered Users Posts: 33 unimpressed

I feel for a family in trouble especially if one of them is servicing the people.
    But hell woman 65k a year leaves you with a min of 47k a year for controlable expensis. Try doing your washing at night use the line instead of the dryer by mince instead of fillet steak. mobile phones sell for 20 euro now ?? you can have all you need on 32 k a year never mind 47. Get a life

• Advertisement

Boombastic wrote: »
    No:pac::pac:

Only one licence is required for each address regardless of the number of televisions present.

Unless it's different for the Gardai:D
    Ah right, then it's very strange. I thought you had to have one per telly; but maybe that's businesses or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Paddysboys

They have it alright and lots of gifts

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭fits

Ah right, then it's very strange. I thought you had to have one per telly; but maybe that's businesses or something.
    not that forty euro makes much of a difference in overall scheme of things but wonder if telly depreciation is included in with license fee.

Also ^^^^47 k ??? Where did you get that from? I think people really don't understand how gross pay relates to take home pay and then disposable income.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Yeah but that excludes rent, mortgage, and other costs paid for by the government . A per capita untaxed income of 9K is not that smaller than the per-capita income of this family. Possibly more. If they had that per person in that household, they would be on 36K post tax and mortgage, but prior to other expenses.

Once again - NO IT DOESN'T.
    People on SW pay a minimum of 30% of their income towards their housing costs.

fits wrote: »
    Most colleges now require something like 2000 in registration fees which is fairly hefty. im not sure what its like in the ITs.

Also I'm guessing that the journalist sought them out rather than the reverse.

It's 2k or 2250 a year for college whether it's an IT or Trinity. Unless she suddenly realised she didn't have 10-15k per year to send the kid to Oxford I don't understand how she finds it so upsetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

If his overtime etc has been cut, he could get paid for standing at Copper's door

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

fits wrote: »
    You know what I really love Ireland and miss it but I cannot stand the horrible attitude on this thread. I have been in financial trouble before. I even visited MABS so I know how it works. The absolute psychological strain of it is awful. People are killing themselves over this stuff.

No this story is not the worst ever but all anyone can seem to do is piss on it. Am truly disgusted.

You know what? There are a lot of people out there actually struggling. People who have lost their jobs, families with both parents out of work, etc.
    And this letter asks for sympathy for someone who has a secure job and earns more than twice what I make. Now, I realise that without children, I'm not exactly in the same place, but I do have my mortgage to pay and l find it difficult to feel honest sympathy for someone making that much money claiming to be struggling, when I myself consider myself lucky and not badly off at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I may have missed it in the thread, but how many kids are in this family?
    If it's four people, with at least three of them being adults or at least teenager size... 200 euro is for food/household, which is everything in the grovery basket, right? So loo roll, toothpaste etc.

Between 6 people that is 33 euro each. 33 euro for a week of food per person I would have considered to be pretty tight. Especially for the amount teenage boys eat.

€4.72 per day for a teenage boy's food and loo roll.... It's possible of course, but it's not loaded by any stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭fits

Buttonftw wrote: »

It's 2k or 2250 a year for college whether it's an IT or Trinity. Unless she suddenly realised she didn't have 10-15k per year to send the kid to Oxford I don't understand how she finds it so upsetting.

That's still a lot to come up with if you're stretched already. But thanks for clarification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

pwurple wrote: »
    I may have missed it in the thread, but how many kids are in this family?
    If it's four people, with at least three of them being adults or at least teenager size... 200 euro is for food/household, which is everything in the grovery basket, right? So loo roll, toothpaste etc.

Between 6 people that is 33 euro each. 33 euro for a week of food per person I would have considered to be pretty tight. Especially for the amount teenage boys eat.

€4.72 per day for a teenage boy's food and loo roll.... It's possible of course, but it's not loaded by any stretch.

well thankfully they get 140 children's allowance per child....
    so 10k PA a year on food is reasonable for a family of 6?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement