Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creationism: Conspiracy Road Trip (BBC3 9pm tonight)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Liamario wrote: »
    Phil was a complete and utter douche. I found it both irritating and hilarious that he was disappointed that they never spoke to a creationist geologist.
    That's like asking to speak to a cabbage that walks.
    The irony that he tries to accuse the directors of bullying him yet attempts to direct the others into what they say.

Watching it now, what a nutcase, a dangerous one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

mewso wrote: »
    That avatar had me doing a double-take at your comment gaius as another well known poster using that avatar would no doubt be defending him :) I see Maxwell did the same thing with 11/9 and 7/7 conspiracy folks. Just as frustrating to watch but entertaining none the less (all on youtube). I like that Maxwell isn't too overbearing but shows his exasperation just as we might be feeling it.

Just picked the avatar at the top of the pile because I couldn't see an option to upload my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

that guy from Norn Iron, fcuk me what a tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

I think i remember him being on some talk show in england if anyone remembers? Pretty sure i saw the clip here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

:D I love this argument - that dinosaurs and man co-existed -

"No doubt there would have been fatalities with T-rex and men, just as
    there are fatalities today with men and lions"

Brilliant

She should be a detective.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

gaius c wrote: »
    Just picked the avatar at the top of the pile because I couldn't see an option to upload my own.

Ah I say keep it. Make it your own. I think uploading avatars is only available to fools like me that give boards money.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

the_monkey wrote: »
    :D I love this argument - that dinosaurs and man co-existed -

"No doubt there would have been fatalities with T-rex and men, just as
    there are fatalities today with men and lions"

Brilliant

She should be a detective.

You'd think, given how often lions show up in the Bible, T. rex would get more mentions. Why it's almost as if the lion was the mightiest/scariest predator they could find...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Galvasean wrote: »
    You'd think, given how often lions show up in the Bible, T. rex would get more mentions. Why it's almost as if the lion was the mightiest/scariest predator they could find...

Duh, cause the T. Rex was a scavenger. And now the bible proves it.

Oddly I did once see a Creationist argue that T. rex not being in the Bible was evidence that it existed at the time. You see, so fearsome was its reputation that people gave it a wide berth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TruthToTell

The Qur’an is the final revelation from god to humanity. The Qur’an is not primarily a science book, but it does contain scientific facts that have been scientifically discovered only recently through the advancement of technological equipment. Indeed, studying and understanding the nature of creation enables people to further appreciate their creator and the extent of his Sovereignty. Some examples follow:

1- Human embryonic development

In the Qur’an, god speaks about the stages of man’s embryonic development: “We created man from an extract of clay. Then We made him as a drop in a place of settlement, firmly fixed. Then We made the drop into an alaqah (leech, suspended thing, and blood clot), then We made the alaqah into a mudghah (chewed substance)...” (Qur’an, 23:12-14)

The Arabic word alaqah has three meanings: (1) leech – when comparing a leech to an embryo in the alaqah stage, we find similarities. Also, the embryo at this stage obtains nourishment from the blood of the mother, similar to a leech . (2) suspended thing. (3) blood clot – the external appearance of the embryo and its sacs during the alaqah stage are similar to that of a blood clot. This is due to large amounts of blood present in the embryo during this stage.

The next stage mentioned is the mudghah stage which means “chewed substance.” If one were to chew a piece of gum and compare it to the embryo at this stage, we would conclude that the embryo resembles a chewed substance.This is due to somites (cells that form the vertebrae) at the back of the embryo that, according to Dr. Moore and Persaud, “somewhat resemble teeth marks in a chewed substance.”

2- The Creation of living beings from water
    “Allah created every [living] creature from water. Some of them go on their bellies, some of them on two legs, and some on four.Allah creates whatever He wills. Allah has power over all things.”(Qur’an, 24:45)

Water is the main component of organic matter.Between 50-90% of the weight of living things consists of water.Furthermore, 80% of the cytoplasm (basic cell material) is water.The analysis of cytoplasm took place hundreds of years after the revelation of the Qur’an.

3- Mountains As Stabilisers
    Mountains play an important role in stabilising the crust of the earth, by hindering its shaking. God has said:
    “And He has set firm mountains in the earth so that it would not shake with you...”(Qur’an, 16:15)

Likewise,the modern theory of plate tectonics agrees that mountains work as stabilisers for the earth.The knowledge about the role of mountains as stabilisers has just begun to be understood by scientists in the framework of plate tectonics.

What do modern scientists say?

Dr Keith L. Moore, Professor Emeritus of Anatomy and Cell Biology, was associate dean of basic sciences at the faculty of medicine as well as the chairman of the department of anatomy. He is the author of the book entitled The Developing Human, which has been translated into eight languages and was chosen by a special committee in the United States as the best book authored by one person.

During one conference, Professor Moore stated:
    “It has been a great pleasure for me to help clarify statements in the Qur’an about human development. It is clear to me that these statements must have come to Muhammad from God, because almost all of this knowledge was not discovered until many centuries later. This proves to me that Muhammad must have been a messenger of God.”

After all these examples mentioned and others not mentioned due to space limitations, Can you ask yourself these two questions:

- Could it be a coincidence that all this recently discovered scientific information was mentioned in the Qur’an, which was revealed fourteen centuries ago?

- Could this Qur’an have been authored by Muhammad or by any other human being?

The only possible answer is that this Qur’an must be the literal word of God, revealed by Him.

• Advertisement

I must have missed that bit where science says that man is made from clay...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The only possible answer is that this Qur’an must be the literal word of God, revealed by Him.

You're forgetting the possibility that the Qur'an is total bollocks made up by a series of nutjobs who spent too much time in the sun. There's nothing there about biology that couldn't be discovered by, oh I don't know, cutting apart non-believers and unmarried mothers because the laws at the time were brutal and stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

1- Human embryonic development
    This is a rehash of Hamza Tzortzis’ “paper”, Embryology in the Qur’an: A scientific-linguistic analysis of chapter 23: With responses to historical, scientific & popular contentions. Which is an obsessive reworking of 2 sentences in the Qur'an. A genuine refutation of that paper is available here and can be read by those with an open mind on the subject.
    2- The Creation of living beings from water
    Really, the observation that animals are damp and squishy is a divine revelation?
    3- Mountains As Stabilisers
    Ah go on, you're having a laugh now...
    - Could it be a coincidence that all this recently discovered scientific information was mentioned in the Qur’an, which was revealed fourteen centuries ago?
    Any book as vague and florid as a religious text is open to re-interpretation in the light of new knowledge, this allows us to re-frame the original words as representing something beyond the knowledge of the original author.
    - Could this Qur’an have been authored by Muhammad or by any other human being?
    Well not Muhammad, no, seeing as he was an illiterate warlord, if he actually existed, but certainly it could have been written by a human being of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,237 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Galvasean wrote: »
    Oddly I did once see a Creationist argue that T. rex not being in the Bible was evidence that it existed at the time. You see, so fearsome was its reputation that people gave it a wide berth.

T Rex > Satan.

The Qur’an is the final revelation from god to humanity. The Qur’an is not primarily a science book, but it does contain scientific facts that have been scientifically discovered only recently through the advancement of technological equipment. Indeed, studying and understanding the nature of creation enables people to further appreciate their creator and the extent of his Sovereignty. Some examples follow:

I thought it was that Twink is actually a giant lizard in a human disguise.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

TruthToTell gone for spamming.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

shizz wrote: »
    I think i remember him being on some talk show in england if anyone remembers? Pretty sure i saw the clip here.

Here's his web****e.
    Phil Robinson gained his Bachelor of Education degree from Stranmillis University College in Religious Studies, with a subsidiary in Physical Education and has a Masters of Divinity degree from Union Theological College.

To put it in layman's terms, a P.E teacher full of horsesh1t!

I never seen anyone so uptight and stiff. The man has issues.

Phil, who is a creationist, knows that all the; geologists, biologists, astronomers, physicists, archaeologists et al are wrong and/ or lying.

One can see from his vacant stare that, 'the lights are on, but there's nobody home'. He definitely needs some man-to-man love. I'm sure Maxwell could hook him up with Sam. Creationist Blind Date!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Here's his web****e.

Watched the conspiracy episode last night and found him annoying, but this, wow I got 1 minute 55s in and he claimed that natural selection opposes evolution because you can only select from what already exists. Did he even read the cliff notes of Darwin's work. Even a one page summary would clear that issue up for him.

At least the two girls on the show were somewhat "ok maybe there's more to this" at the end, but Phil was still with his "no! word of god!" reasoning, despite being shown in front of his eyes how basic physics and geology works, oh except that day when god changed the rules for the lulz, its baffling to be so blinkered in your views.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Watched it on BBC3 last night. Atheist myself but dont post here usually but feel compelled to do so now.
    All i can say is how sad it is young bright people turning their back on blatent facts staring them in the face. Whats gone so wrong in their lives and communities they come from that makes them so repulsed by such a simple notion as evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I get the impression that Phil is not only a creationist but he is also a hardcore unionist, so his absolute refusal to even consider for one second an alternate perspective is entirely in keeping with his cultural background. (In case your wondering the union flag cushions in his house at the start gave it away.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

sink wrote: »
    I get the impression that Phil is not only a creationist but he is also a hardcore unionist, so his absolute refusal to even consider for one second an alternate perspective is entirely in keeping with his cultural background. (In case your wondering the union flag cushions in his house at the start gave it away.)

I came to the same conclusion about him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭basillarkin

+2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I missed the first couple of minutes (and thus the cushion), but I came to that conclusion fairly quickly. Lucky guess or blatantly obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

From the dictionary:

Dogmatism: noun 'dogmatic' character; unfounded positiveness in matters of opinion; arrogant assertion of opinions as truths.

Synonym:
    Phil Robinson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

To be honest in that talkshow clip I found the professor of thermodynamics claiming that ID is true to be much worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

Here's his web****e.

I never seen anyone so uptight and stiff. The man has issues.

Phil, who is a creationist, knows that all the; geologists, biologists, astronomers, physicists, archaeologists et al are wrong and/ or lying.

One can see from his vacant stare that, 'the lights are on, but there's nobody home'. He definitely needs some man-to-man love. I'm sure Maxwell could hook him up with Sam. Creationist Blind Date!

That presenter's gorgeous!

Yer man Phil reminds me a bit of Michael Stone. Dangerously deluded and unhinged but his rigidness is typical of people from Northern Ireland though I'd say the chap is permanently clenched. I nearly coughed up a lung laughing at his, 'How many Creationist Geologists have we invited on this trip' spiel. :D
    NONE!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Sindri wrote: »
    That presenter's gorgeous!
    Aye that's Susanna Reid. Presents BBC Breakfast News, good way to get up in the morning!
    To be fair I haven't seen or heard anything from him that would lead me to believe he is politically active although no doubt the most likely home for his views would be within the DUP.

Also when he accosted a passer-by to enquire whether it was a "gay church" they were entering I thought for a split-second that he was going to ask "Is this a Catholic Church?" Alas, I'm as guilty as most of forming pre-conceived notions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

The Qur’an is the final revelation from god to humanity. The Qur’an is not primarily a science book...

obvious_master.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The Qur’an is the final revelation from god to humanity. The Qur’an is not primarily a science book...
    Maybe so, but I'd imagine that an actual revelation from a creator deity would be a bit more, well, factually accurate; science book or not.

Advertisement