Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creationism: Conspiracy Road Trip (BBC3 9pm tonight)

Options
  • 08-10-2012 6:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

Sounds interesting. :)
    Comedian Andrew Maxwell take five British creationists to the west coast of America to try and convince them that evolution, rather than creationism, explains how we all got here...

No idea why they have to go to America, but sure any excuse eh?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

I hope he brings plenty of aspirin with him. He'll need it after banging his head on that particular wall.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Some Guy wrote:
    Comedian Andrew Maxwell [...]
    Oh that it were Andy Hamilton, Sandy Toksvig or Stephen Fry.

Still, at least the Beeb's done the right thing and picked a comedian to look into creationism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Apologies for this possibly utterly ridiculous question but....you get the BBC there, on normal telly? I've watched lots of Irish TV and never really taken notice (so obviously not watched it closely). I remember my grandad used to watch loads of snooker so that was probably BBC. Do you get all of our channels?

*searches Sky for RTE channels*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

doctoremma wrote: »
    Apologies for this possibly utterly ridiculous question but....you get the BBC there, on normal telly? I've watched lots of Irish TV and never really taken notice (so obviously not watched it closely). I remember my grandad used to watch loads of snooker so that was probably BBC. Do you get all of our channels?

We do ineed Doc

Saw his other one about 911 and the conspiracy theorists where he showed them how ridiculous they were

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Yep, BBC 1/2/3/4, CH4, More 4, E4, UTV (ITV) etc...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I already hate these people.

Yep, BBC 1/2/3/4, CH4, More 4, E4, UTV (ITV) etc...

Sorry, another Q. When you buy a new TV and auto tune, does BBC One go to the first channel (1, 101, whatever)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Sorry, another Q. When you buy a new TV and auto tune, does BBC One go to the first channel (1, 101, whatever)?

No , at the races is (if you still got channels without a box) Then its RTE 1 2 etc. BBc starts after them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

I'm looking at it now and I feel like every word out of their mouths has been intelligently designed to piss me off!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

only recently though, we used to have BBC shows transcribed and sent over via telegram, we'd gather round the village fire and be aghast at tales of time travelling doctors and middle aged men driving really elaborate cars.

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    only recently though, we used to have BBC shows transcribed and sent over via telegram, we'd gather round the village fire and be aghast at tales of time travelling doctors and middle aged men driving really elaborate cars.

I thought as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Oh man I spotted this thread and turned on. Gaaah! It is an exercise in frustration...I'm not 100% sure I can watch all of this. My tv is in danger of getting something thrown through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Andrew Maxwell? Hmmmm...

Missed the start of this but may take a look later if you guys think it's worth it.

I'm kind of disappointed every time there's a documentary and Louis Theroux isn't there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Oh boy. I'm losing the will to live watching this. But I will persevere in the name of fair-mindedness. :confused:

In Dublin only I think, via analogue (digital now?). In the west here, so have free-to-air satellite channels. RTE not on that of course. All bbc's, itv's and channel 4,5, film4, etc. HD too, yay!

That show has given me a migraine.
    The Northern Ireland guy needs his head kicked in- he wasn't there for truth, but to reaffirm his own ignorance. He didn't get the reaffirmation, so he decided to ignore it and put his fingers in his ears.

The two girls are the only ones with any hope. So frustrating to watch.

I wouldn't go that far....he was set in his beliefs alright, but looking at his eyes, all I could see was fear masked by defensiveness. The girls were open, but also scared. I felt for the black-haired one who was so worried that if she questioned creationism, it would open the door to questioning her whole belief system. Well, yes.....that is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Belief/faith and science are worlds apart, as Father (Professor) O'Doherty used to tell us when we were designing experiments at university.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Craptacular

Sin City wrote: »
    Saw his other one about 911 and the conspiracy theorists where he showed them how ridiculous they were
    It was the London attacks on 7/7.

Andrew was on a loser here. 7/7 conspiracies are opinions that can be analysed and have the flaws exposed. Creationism is faith based and that's a different kettle of logic & evidence resistant fish.

• Moderators Posts: 51,720 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Show is now up on youtube.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Well I enjoyed watching this Creationism Road Trip. Maxwell did well, by not pushing the evidence on them too much, just letting the evidence speak for itself, aided slightly by real-life experts in separate fields.

That 'Northie' Phil was his typical self. He's either very dumb or just enjoys getting paid to peddle tripe. A sinister character.

‘You exert an air of subtle menace,’ Maxwell told Phil

I almost feel sorry for Sam. Young and deluded, he looks up to Phil. My guess, is that Sam wants to get into Phil's pants.

At least Maxwell admitted that it would be near impossible to change their minds over the course of the trip, but still, he may have sown some seeds of doubt. Especially amongst viewers watching at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

I like Maxwell and I dislike New Earth Creationists...

..but what a completely utterly futile pointless program.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Good point in the video at 51:50 where the Professor of Astrophysics puts Phil in his place.

Phil was a complete and utter douche. I found it both irritating and hilarious that he was disappointed that they never spoke to a creationist geologist.
    That's like asking to speak to a cabbage that walks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

That northern guy was a right creep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

5uspect wrote: »
    That northern guy was a right creep.

Went proper mental about the gay thing, didn't he?
    Bit of a closet case maybe?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

gaius c wrote: »
    Went proper mental about the gay thing, didn't he?
    Bit of a closet case maybe?

That avatar had me doing a double-take at your comment gaius as another well known poster using that avatar would no doubt be defending him :) I see Maxwell did the same thing with 11/9 and 7/7 conspiracy folks. Just as frustrating to watch but entertaining none the less (all on youtube). I like that Maxwell isn't too overbearing but shows his exasperation just as we might be feeling it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Repeat of it just started for anyone that missed it, BBC 3. One thing that is already standing out to me already is the fact that they misunderstand the fundamentals of the likes of evolution so much....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Repeat of it just started for anyone that missed it, BBC 3. One thing that is already standing out to me already is the fact that they misunderstand the fundamentals of the likes of evolution so much....

Like so many of these people they misunderstand the fundamentals of science never mind evolution.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

mewso wrote: »
    Like so many of these people they misunderstand the fundamentals of science never mind evolution.

Indeed, they basically boil inexplicable topics down to 'Well, the thing is god changed physics(Or biology and chemistry) for the day'. I watched his conspiracy theory one from last week and he did manage to change some of their viewpoints but creationists are always going to be a losing battle.

Advertisement