Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mosquitos in Ireland???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Yeah they're definitely easier to get than a fly anyway, and also, they're not half as fast to react when they're sitting on a wall/window, so it's way easier to splat them there and then.

They're sneaky for hiding though, remember in France, used to scrutinize my room before bed, then when happy enough that I was all clear, switch off the light and...... bbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzz loop the loop beside your ear.

the plugs with the little squares that you slide in, they were the only job back then. And we tried everything else believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 honeybunny1984

we (the whole family) have been bitten quite a few times, there seem to be loads in the back garden and they're starting to come in the back door now of an evening, as i said we've all had the odd bite and had the resulting red itchy bite mark appear the next day but my poor brother has been absolutely eaten alive by them and when he gets bitten the whole area swells up and looks very nasty, the last bite was on his knee and his whole knee swelled up over twice normal size...why is this? and why are they attracted to him more than anyone else? :confused:

No idea why they seem to prefer some people's blood than others, but that's a fact that some people seem to get less bitten. I get "reasonably" bitten :D

We used to say if you got bitten more you probably had sweeter blood, but don't think there's any scientific basis to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

My house in Blessington has been invaded by mozzies over the past month - worse than any year I can remember bar one of the years when I lived in Mayo(c.2006). Already have 2 large bites on my arms after being attacked in my bed over recent nights.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

had enough....found 2 in my car this morning...and also when i opened my front door late last night one flew in...why have they not died off yet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Even with the window closed I swatted 3 in my bedroom last night ..... and another one the previous night. I woke again during the night to hear a fourth buzzing around. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Just wondering what these are and can I do anything about them we are over run the last two days.

20121005_174506.jpg

20121005_174519.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

im the same here in east cork,am painting the house at the moment and they're all over the place,they look like mossies to me

Was thinking that myself. The numbers of them is unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

They're invading West Limerick as well - just noticed them all over the front window - thankfully, they're on the outside!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Look like crane flies to me?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Arrived to Wexford and they are all over the place. What gives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 tipseymcT

Our house is full of them too,they are very annoying when they get into the room at night,their high pitched buzzing really gets to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Oh I remember them well, very well. Can't remember the exact name of them but they are like a large mosquito and they give a hell of a bite. You will notice if one lands on your arm as it will put it's hind legs up straight and burrow it's head spike into you but when you slap the parasite it will mostly turn to dust. O.P get rid of them all even if it takes you 2 hours and before sunset shut all hatches cause these bastards can really give you a good bite.

They can look like the hoursefly sometimes but the difference with them is when a horsefly lands on the wall it will always have it's wings open always but a thing like this will have it's wings closed thats the difference.

zenno wrote: »
    Oh I remember them well, very well. Can't remember the exact name of them but they are like a large mosquito and they give a hell of a bite. You will notice if one lands on your arm as it will put it's hind legs up straight and burrow it's head spike into you but when you slap the parasite it will mostly turn to dust. O.P get rid of them all even if it takes you 2 hours and before sunset shut all hatches cause these bastards can really give you a good bite.

They can look like the hoursefly sometimes but the difference with them is when a horsefly lands on the wall it will always have it's wings open always but a thing like this will have it's wings closed thats the difference.

Are you drunk? these are nothing like a horse fly. The look like mosquitos but don't think they are.

No big panic. would love to know why so many appearing this evening across the southern part of Ireland, from reports. Carried on the wind ? though i see these around in the summer

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Look like crane flies to me?

A crane fly is a daddy long legs. these are miniature versions. hardly the time for young to be born all at once over the country ???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Well mate unfortunately they are indeed the most common species of mosquito and the first discovered also they are hit bigger than average mosquito and have a good bite on them
    Is there a water scource near you if so your gonna need to keep all windows closed as this is not the end of them
    Insect repellent is a must
    Also don't wear perfume or bright colours as it somehow attracts them ( was warned bout Mosquitos before going to philipines and this was my advice)
    Kill every one of them you see or you'll be over run
    Hope it helps
    Atb

Well mate unfortunately they are indeed the most common species of mosquito and the first discovered also they are hit bigger than average mosquito and have a good bite on them
    Is there a water scource near you if so your gonna need to keep all windows closed as this is not the end of them
    Also don't wear perfume or bright colours as it somehow attracts them ( was warned bout Mosquitos before going to philipines and this was my advice)
    Hope it helps
    Atb

What's that species name, see I don't believe they are mosquitis

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

vicwatson wrote: »
    Hope it helps
    Atb

Ireland has a number of species of mosquito

They definitely appear to be mosquito - need a close up to determine species tbh

It's the female that bite and suck blood but for the moment the Irish mossies are not the malaria carrying ones....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

vicwatson wrote: »

Ireland has over 20 species of mosquito, and Britain has over 30 species. Mosquitoes have been recorded in Britain and Ireland for over 100 years.

As for species name, I cannot say what species the other poster meant, but the most common species in Ireland and Britain is Culex pipiens and the pics in the first post in this thread appear to have those in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

These flies are also in my house, but not in any numbers. I don't believe that they are mozzies, I certainly haven't been bitten by any I've seen, but they do look like them.

Here's the closest pic I could get with my phone.
    20121006_151209.jpg

Here's the closest pic I could get with my phone.
    20121006_151209.jpg

I believe that is indeed a mossie. I don't get it why people don't believe there are indeed mossies in Ireland! Not only are they indigenous but they are fairly common too. A number of years ago Fingal co co were out spraying stagnant water near the Malahide estuary because the lil buggers were breeding so well and eating people....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,148 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Do our native mossies bite though? I've seen these guys in my gaff too and can't say I or anyone else I know has been bitten by anything apart from midges.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Do our native mossies bite though? I've seen these guys in my gaff too and can't say I or anyone else I know has been bitten by anything apart from midges.

Yes the females do....some years around Malahide the were right b*stards...

Anyone know why there are so many around the country. I presume it's to do with the weather? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭mikehunts

These mossies are all over our gaff as well, they seem attracted to the light and love living in the turf out back. None biting though, buzzing sound from them when they fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

A local underground bat roost has 1000s on the walls. A handy snack for the bats down there.

They are coming in to hibernate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 leeptr

Just cleaned the gutters outside my house late this afternoon, came into the house and had to kill something on the order of 50 mosquitoes before putting the kids to bed. Had seen one or 2 around periodically this summer .

Advertisement