Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No fathers at kids first day of school this morning

Options
  • 30-08-2012 3:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭

Maybe it's not a big thing anymore but my young lad started school this morning & there were only 4 fathers present out of a class of 28 kids.
    I know 2 of the lads were unemployed so it suited them but I thought it was a bit sad.
    Are people that fearful for their jobs that they forgo family occasions now ?.
    Anyway, sad :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

A family occasion?????????? Since when?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

starting school is a family occasion? ok then

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Real Life

they're not fearful for their jobs, they're fearful they will have to deal with all the crying from the children id say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Eh.. This has always been the case. You're the odd one missing work for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    No fathers at kids first day
    4 fathers present

Hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Thinly veiled 'I had sex' thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Possible misleading thread title. Is it no fathers or 4 fathers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Maybe they just couldn't get the time off approved?

End of month can be a busy period for some companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

why is everyone being a prick in here?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

HowAreWe wrote: »

It's National Prick Day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

It's a fairly big deal for the kid to be fair. I would consider it a family event. First day of school, first holy communion, confirmation and graduation. To a lesser extent, I would say that the day they go in for the leaving cert results fits into this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

They're annoyed because they missed their kid's first day at school.

Or maybe they made it, but the photographer cancelled at the last minute, or the caterers brought the wrong food or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

I'd have hoped my dad would pay the bills and provide food for the week rather than stand in the schoolyard all misty eyed tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Maybe it's not a big thing anymore but my young lad started school this morning & there were only 4 fathers present out of a class of 28 kids.
    I know 2 of the lads were unemployed so it suited them but I thought it was a bit sad.
    If there were 4 present the why is your thread enitled NO FATHERS PRESENT?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

This is After Hours. It's expect that you be a prick when posting here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's National Prick Day

haha you're such a prick

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's National Prick Day

Tomorrow is National Bïtch Day. Be ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

muckisluck wrote: »
    A family occasion?????????? Since when?

A parents celebration that they git rid of the little blighters for 6 hours a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Sure if the men turned up they'd probably be accused of being pedos. You can't win...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I remember being in senior infants when it was the junior infants first day. Fúckers went beserk when they realised that their parents had just fecked off, crying, throwing stuff, sobbing. No parent wants to see that.

It was hilarious but grew tiresome and i eventually went back to vandalising my Tara and Ben book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,994 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I obviously missed out on this tradition, and would have had four days off work had I known about it. Perhaps I'll have a day off when they leave school.

I'll treat it like a communion do, and go door-knocking for hard cash, dragging the pimply kids with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

My forefathers weren't at my first day either. It's never a been a tradition for fathers to attend though

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

poisonated wrote: »
    It's a fairly big deal for the kid to be fair. I would consider it a family event. First day of school, first holy communion, confirmation and graduation. To a lesser extent, I would say that the day they go in for the leaving cert results fits into this category.

I can't remember it being a big day... my mom brought me to school, and collected me again after. The next day, I went by myself and walked home myself.

Communion and confirmation were events, true, but as the child in question I remember for the most part feeling extremely annoyed being forced to spend so much time in church just so my parents could have a great day.
    Graduation was an utter non-event.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

My mother was a school warden (lollipop lady) until a few years ago. She said it got to ridiculous proportions how many people were showing up for the first day of school, there were parents, aunts, uncles and grandparents.

It's only the first day of school, not a 'family occasion'.

Also 4!=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Rabidlamb really should get a job writing for a tabloid.

"ALL FATHERS HAVE ABANDONED THEIR CHILDREN!!!!"

"Only four fathers were at some school today to see their children off on the first day of lessons. ALL of the rest of the FATHERS ABANDONED THEIR CHILDREN to the care of their mothers for the morning.

Some of these FATHERS were thought to perhaps have been FOREIGNERS!!!"

Have you not seen the Denny's TV advert? First day at school is well on it's way to being the new Arthurs Day.

Of course many children are in creche before school so first day of school is no longer same as it was 20 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

Shur they might as well bring 'em in for tay!

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Some of these FATHERS were though to perhaps have been FOREIGNERS!!!"

Or late risers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Or late risers.

That's probably because they're too ignorant to adjust to Irish time and are keeping home hours. :mad:

You live in my country, you follow my time zones god damn it! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

What happened to not creating a fuss and upsetting the child? It always seemed to me that the more fuss made on the day, the more likely the child was to get upset.

Advertisement