Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do speed limits apply to cyclists as well?

Options
  • 21-07-2012 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭

I just started laughing while reading some article in Polish newspaper about 18 year old cyclist there, who got a fine for speeding with picture from speed camera attached into his mailbox.
    He was doing 46km in 30km/h zone. He was so unlucky, that a member of municipal police who was dealing with speed camera picture, was his neighbour - recognized his face, and therefore issued a fine.
    Young lad didn't accept a fine, and the case will have to be resolved by court, as no one is really sure if speed limits apply to cyclists as well or not.

Anyway - that made me wondering how does that work in Ireland.
    Do cyclists have to obey speed limits on the roads?
    I must say it happens to me, that I exceed speed limit while cycling, but I would never thought I could be fined for it.
    What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

"member of municipal police, who was his neighbour, recognized his face and therefore issued the fine " sounds like the old soviet system is alive and well in Poland! Nigel in Cavan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Rules of the road are the rules of the road, so I'd imagine so, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If it uses the road, speed limits apply, as do all other laws

...or at least they should

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Nope

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

The Road Traffic Acts apply to mechanically propelled vehicles. So unless you consider yourself a "machine" on the bike, then you can speed safe in the knowledge you are for the most part immune from the law.

There are various offences for cycling while intoxicated and getting a tow, but for obvious and very good reasons the vast majority of Road Traffic laws do not apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

As said, that only applies to mechanically propelled vehicles.

When it comes to cycling while intoxicated, would that even apply if you've just had a few pints say 4 or 5 and then cycle home?

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

...or at least they should

So what to do with the fact that speed meters for cyclists are not required by law? How can cyclist supposed to monitor they speed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

When it comes to cycling while intoxicated, would that even apply if you've just had a few pints say 4 or 5 and then cycle home?
    I'd say you'd have to be flaming to be done first time out, or a serial "very well oiled and wobbling" offender after using up a few warnings. IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

In relation to being drunk while cycling I think this is what apply:
    6.— (1) A person shall not, in a public place—

(a) drive or attempt to drive, or be in charge of, an animal-drawn vehicle, or

(b) drive or attempt to drive a pedal cycle,

while he or she is under the influence of an intoxicant to such an extent as to be incapable of having proper control of the vehicle or cycle.

(2) A person who contravenes subsection (1) commits an offence and—

(a) if the offence relates to an animal-drawn vehicle, he or she is liable on summary conviction—

(i) in the case of a first offence, to a fine not exceeding €3,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 1 month or to both, and

(ii) in the case of a second or subsequent offence, to a fine not exceeding €5,000 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 months or to both,

or

(b) if the offence relates to a pedal cycle, he or she is liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding €2,000.

(3) A person liable to be charged with an offence under this section shall not, by reference to the same occurrence, be liable to be charged under section 12 of the Licensing Act 1872 with the offence of being drunk while in charge, on a highway or other public place, of a carriage.

(4) Where a member of the Garda Síochána is of opinion that a person is committing or has committed an offence under this section, he or she may arrest the person without warrant.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2010/en/act/pub/0025/print.html#sec80

So generally if you are so wasted you don't have proper control of your bicycle, then you might be arrested and fined up to 2 grand.
    But I understand that few pints is allright ;)

I wasn't aware of this actually until now. I know that in Poland cycling when drunk is the same offence as driving drunk, and attracts heavy fines and suspension of driving licence (provided cyclist have one) for at least 1 year. Alcohol limit is 0.20mg comparing to 0.50 in Ireland. That's harsh world :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

A friend of mine got a ticket for cycling above 30mph in the Phoenix park several years ago. He thanked the Garda for the ticket. In court the Judge had heard he'd been cheeky to the officer and he got fined. He has the ticket framed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

No, because they don't have a speedometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

+1 if you don't have to have a speedometer you can't reasonably be booked for speeding.

deandean wrote: »
    +1 if you don't have to have a speedometer you can't reasonably be booked for speeding.

Are you saying that if I take my speedometer off my car, I will be able to speed legally ?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

CiniO wrote: »
    Are you saying that if I take my speedometer off my car, I will be able to speed legally ?
    :D

Ahh but they are a legal requirement on a motorised vehicle. :P

BX 19 wrote: »

OOps.. Seems I missed a part "if you don't have to have"... somehow i read it "if you don't have"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I wish I could go over the speed limit on my bike.
    My bike is crap.:(

O.A.P wrote: »
    I wish I could go over the speed limit on my bike.
    My bike is crap.:(

Same as speed limits, so you might try anyway :D:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Rules of the road are the rules of the road, so I'd imagine so, yes.

The rules of the road differ in many ways for different road users, generally rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

CiniO wrote: »
    In relation to being drunk while cycling I think this is what apply:

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2010/en/act/pub/0025/print.html#sec80

So generally if you are so wasted you don't have proper control of your bicycle, then you might be arrested and fined up to 2 grand.
    But I understand that few pints is allright ;)

I wasn't aware of this actually until now. I know that in Poland cycling when drunk is the same offence as driving drunk, and attracts heavy fines and suspension of driving licence (provided cyclist have one) for at least 1 year. Alcohol limit is 0.20mg comparing to 0.50 in Ireland. That's harsh world :P

:eek: Jesus that's a bit harsh. If you are going to drink, that's not much of a disincentive to bring the car.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I regularly break the speed limit on my bicycle! I'm very proud of this fact!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Chris.Buckley

I regularly break the speed limit on my bicycle! I'm very proud of this fact!
    As do I. I go through some of the biggest and longest hills in cork city on a daily basis which usually have a limit of 40 kph. I smash that, and and even pass a traffic camera on the way, but I'm not sure if i'm a big enough object to trigger it.. the only people who ever seem to care are taxi drivers. I often get road rage from them, but no-one else. I'm not really sure why that is..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

BX 19 wrote: »

So what about those motorised pedal bikes?

the only people who ever seem to care are taxi drivers. I often get road rage from them, but no-one else. I'm not really sure why that is..

Because they own the road. Didn't they tell you that? No need for indicators on a taxi....we must all know what their intentions are on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,550 ✭✭✭maidhc

goz83 wrote: »
    So what about those motorised pedal bikes?

They are only "assisted", you need to pedal them or they stop.

maidhc wrote: »
    They are only "assisted", you need to pedal them or they stop.

Not those ones. There are electric bikes that don't need to be peddled. If the battery runs low, or if you just feel like burning some calories, you can peddle them. I haven't seen many here (Only one for sale), but have seen a few of them in Spain on the roads. No license needed for them there, but who know about Ireland? They are slightly bulkier than the assisted ones, but pretty much the same idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

UK has an offense titled "Furious Cycling" I kid you not. I could never find out if the law remained here after independence.

One of the N'rn Ireland champion cyclists ( can't remember which..) was actually done for it just before the demise of the R.U.C. He came around a corner in a T.T and couldn't stop soon enough for an RUC officer.
    Judge went bananas and threw the whole thing out.

http://www.criminal-solicitors.com/bicycles.htm

" A £200 fine is set for furious cycling."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

As do I. I go through some of the biggest and longest hills in cork city on a daily basis which usually have a limit of 40 kph. I smash that, and and even pass a traffic camera on the way, but I'm not sure if i'm a big enough object to trigger it.. the only people who ever seem to care are taxi drivers. I often get road rage from them, but no-one else. I'm not really sure why that is..

There is no legal speed limit of 40km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

So if its an electric bicycle you can be done, since its a mechanically propelled vehicle ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

So if its an electric bicycle you can be done, since its a mechanically propelled vehicle ?
    Yes. If it has an engine or some type of motor in it yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 leannejoshua

wouldnt think so ! not that id ever be able 2 do d speed limit on a bike !:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement