Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-06-2012, 02:35   #91
Adyx

Send a message via Yahoo to Adyx
The B888 ROM makes changes to the partition sizes which is why it's not reversible, at least not until a ROM comes along that changes them back.

I went one step further and flashed Paul O'Brien's Modaco ROM which is based on B888 but swaps the data and internal SD partions which means I have ~1.6GB for apps and stuff. I already had a 16GB SD card for music and videos etc so the internal SD card was going to waste. Although I can't see myself that many apps either!
Advertisement
24-06-2012, 08:27   #92
snaps

Send a message via MSN to snaps
What's the camera like on this phone?
24-06-2012, 09:02   #93
iwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaps View Post
What's the camera like on this phone?
If you pm you email i can send you samples
25-06-2012, 15:11   #94
Zardoz

Just unlocked this baby ,very impressed so far.
Can I disable network data for the time being and just use wifi until I sort out a decent data plan off 02 ? Is this possible ?
Thanks
25-06-2012, 16:19   #95
jgbyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
Just unlocked this baby ,very impressed so far.
Can I disable network data for the time being and just use wifi until I sort out a decent data plan off 02 ? Is this possible ?
Thanks
Settings - Wireless & Networks - Mobile Networks - untick Data Enabled
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-06-2012, 19:03   #96
boatbuilder

Just killed my old nokia 2330. (Egg in my pocket, its a long story!)

I've never had a smartphone, but have played with ipads/android tablets etc.
Would this make a good first smartphone for someone with big fingers?
25-06-2012, 20:09   #97
Captain Morgan

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatbuilder View Post
Just killed my old nokia 2330. (Egg in my pocket, its a long story!)

I've never had a smartphone, but have played with ipads/android tablets etc.
Would this make a good first smartphone for someone with big fingers?
Yeah the screen is 4" which is decent for a budget smartphone. A lot of them are only 2.8-3.2" which is too small for most people and would turn a lot of first time smartphone owners off them.

IMO 4" is the perfect size for a smartphone for people who don't want a bigger screen (HTC One X and Galaxy S3).
Thanks from:
25-06-2012, 21:00   #98
The_Thing

For anyone considering this phone http://www.theregister.co.uk/ has a review of it here.

And for those of you too lazy to click the link - Their verdict:

Quote:
I’d suggest this is the first budget Android phone that doesn’t require the user to sacrifice anything vital in the name of impecunity. The G300 does everything the majority of smartphone users will want, does them well, and is as cheap as chips. At £100 it’s the bargain of the year.
26-06-2012, 01:05   #99
boatbuilder

Just a query about how to get the €20 off by getting a Tesco sim....

So I have a vodafone sim from my old broke phone and want to use vodafone on the G300.

I have ordered the free sim from tesco. What do I have to do with this exactly? Do I have to put it in my old phone, do I have to top up with tesco etc.... I'm just not understanding the procedure here! At what point have I technically switched over to tesco?

And when I get the G300, do vodafone give me a new sim or do i use my old one?
Advertisement
26-06-2012, 01:35   #100
iwo

Quote:
Just a query about how to get the €20 off by getting a Tesco sim....

So I have a vodafone sim from my old broke phone and want to use vodafone on the G300.

I have ordered the free sim from tesco. What do I have to do with this exactly? Do I have to put it in my old phone, do I have to top up with tesco etc.... I'm just not understanding the procedure here! At what point have I technically switched over to tesco?

And when I get the G300, do vodafone give me a new sim or do i use my old one?
Do you do that online?

1 go online tesco and order sim, you should type in you voda numer and you will receive sim card from tesco with your old number.
2 go online Vodafone and order g300 as a new customer, then you will asked for your tesco number. Type it in and this is it. You will receive new vodafone sim card with your phone.

I did it online to avoid bringing documents and answering questions... Online is hassle free. And phone came next morning...
Thanks from:
26-06-2012, 11:31   #101
boatbuilder

Thanks iwo. Will my new tesco sim have the same number as my old vodafone one?
26-06-2012, 11:51   #102
choons

Quote:
. . . I have ordered the free sim from tesco. . . .
Quote:
Thanks iwo. Will my new tesco sim have the same number as my old vodafone one?
Did you specifically request your Vodafone number to be switched to Tesco when you ordered the Tesco sim card?

If not, then the Tesco sim card will just be a new 089 number. When you switch to Vodafone with the new phone, this 089 number will be brought to Vodafone.

If you were already with Vodafone, you could just put that sim straight into the new phone and not worry about switching numbers

Last edited by choons; 26-06-2012 at 11:56.
26-06-2012, 12:08   #103
fionn_mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by choons View Post
If you were already with Vodafone, you could just put that sim straight into the new phone and not worry about switching numbers
If you are already with vodafone I would still do the tesco simcard malarkey to save you €20. you then end with a new sim card with a 089 number. ignore this and just starting use your old vodafone sim card in the phone (once your simcard is not a really old one). you save on the unlocking step the rest of us who arent on vodafone need to go through to get our other sim cards working.

I picked one up for the €109.99 (129.99-20), unlocked it via ebay (thanks for the link above). Was too impatient to wait for the free sim card in post from tesco, bought one instore for 2.50e. The phone seems good, better than the HTC I had previously. havent gone through the rooting process yet. with 48months network (being the ripe young age of 18!) have it working at 20e p/m for all texts,calls,data (tho no internet texts). not bad
26-06-2012, 12:12   #104
choons

Quote:
Originally Posted by fionn_mac View Post
If you are already with vodafone I would still do the tesco simcard malarkey to save you €20. you then end with a new sim card with a 089 number. ignore this and just starting use your old vodafone sim card in the phone (once your simcard is not a really old one). you save on the unlocking step the rest of us who arent on vodafone need to go through to get our other sim cards working.
That's what I meant, sorry!

Just don't go switching your actual number to Tesco and then back to Vodafone
27-06-2012, 12:01   #105
phonejacker
Closed Account

if you switch your number to vodafone when buying the huawei ascent g300 they give 20e of the phone and up to 120e credit. is it 120e in one go or do you have to top up by 20e every month to get 20e a month of the "free" credit?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion