Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep abortion out of Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

prinz wrote: »
    I haven't had the pleasure of discussing it with Sam Harris yet.
    Sigh, Sam Harris. Far easier on the eye than Dawkins or Hitch.

I haven't read The Moral Landscape, have you? I think from the summaries and his other writings that I have always held a similar picture of morality. Indeed, I remember arguing it here some years ago.

*runs off to see if I have a claim that I was copied*

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

doctoremma wrote: »
    I haven't read The Moral Landscape, have you?

Haven't had the pleasure yet. Unfortunately it's on an ever-growing list of books to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

Food for thought!

cellznb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It is considered life, just like a dead person is considered to consist of living cells. The thing is in both cases the debate hinges on whether these arrangements of cells constitutes a living human person.

You don't seriously consider the bacteria at the bottom of your yoghurt the same as human life do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Better not scratch your head and kill all those skin cells

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

If they found bacteria on Mars they would be saying the same thing. Should we outlaw Domestos?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭qrrgprgua

Jernal wrote: »
    It is considered life, just like a dead person is considered to consist of living cells. The thing is in both cases the debate hinges on whether these arrangements of cells constitutes a living human person.

You don't seriously consider the bacteria at the bottom of your yoghurt the same as human life do you?

The Point he/she is making with the post is,, what if life were found outside the earth even if it were a cell... The headlines would be "Life found ......." The whole debate on abortion is that it cheapens human life. Pro abortion groups build their arguments for abortion on many arguments... one of them being that a Child at 13 weeks is not a person, not a human being and only demands respect if the mother says so.

And on we go with the subjective views of human life..

While if we found one cell on mars all the worlds scientists would be scrambling over themselves to get more data.

qrrgprgua wrote: »
    The Point he/she is making with the post is,, what if life were found outside the earth even if it were a cell... The headlines would be "Life found ......." The whole debate on abortion is that it cheapens human life. Pro abortion groups build their arguments for abortion on many arguments... one of them being that a Child at 13 weeks is not a person, not a human being and only demands respect if the mother says so.

While if we found one cell on mars all the worlds scientists would be scrambling over themselves to get more data.

And it's quite possibly the weakest argument I've read in the abortion debate in a long while. A singe cell of life might just be the cell of a human bot fly and you don't want to know what that does to humans. Or it could be a cell of non DNA based life . . . it could be anything. Human life and life itself are wholly different things. Life that began on earth all those aeons ago was so chemically different to life as we it today. In fact life today wiped out most of it. The abortion debate is solely concerned with human life nothing else. If you are discuss life in the sense of any form of biological life then you could be talking about anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I'm very interested in the whole church vs abortion debate. You're fighting a losing battle, same as gay marriage it will all eventually be granted in due time.
    I thought Ireland was a secular state anyway? Shouldn't that mean that religious matters/beliefs have zero effect on the government's decision making?
    I think it should be granted. If you're religious, you don't have to do it. Just because we are a predominantly catholic country does not mean that the choices of people who have apposing believes should be taken away from them because the are in the 'minority'.
    Even if abortion was granted, I don't think anyone would take the act any less seriously as some religious people fear. If anything the women who go abroad to get an abortion get no therapy or any sort of professional help so it would benefit them better if that was available here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Jernal wrote: »

A cell on Mars would be big news because it's on Mars, not because it's a cell.

• Advertisement

1ZRed wrote: »
    I thought Ireland was a secular state anyway? Shouldn't that mean that religious matters/beliefs have zero effect on the government's decision making?

Thank God that abortion in Ireland can't be put into law without the consent of the people.. Good old Irish Constitution.

Yes Church and State are separate. but the Question of abortion lies with the people, The same people who said they are 87% Catholic in the last census and the same people who twice rejected abortion in a Vote.

Strange how I saw Sinn Fein call for the vote on the nice treaty to be respected on the 1st referendum. Yet at 2 no votes on abortion they still want a 3 referendum on the issue.

Abortion is wrong, it was voted down twice.. VOX POPULI ...

I'm very interested in the whole church vs abortion debate. You're fighting a losing battle, same as gay marriage it will all eventually be granted in due time.
    I think it should be granted. If you're religious, you don't have to do it. Just because we are a predominantly catholic country does not mean that the choices of people who have apposing believes should be taken away from them because the are in the 'minority'.
    Even if abortion was granted, I don't think anyone would take the act any less seriously as some religious people fear. If anything the women who go abroad to get an abortion get no therapy or any sort of professional help so it would benefit them better if that was available here.

I think you misunderstand secularism here. There's nothing about secularism that states a religious person's beliefs can't have influence government policy. They can and often do. The thing is those beliefs must be communicated in a language that is common to all humans. So, while Christians believe human life begins at conception they cannot just state this is so because the bible says so. Ok, obviously in this forum they can do that, but in the public domain they'd have to use arguments that thread common ground with others religious and non religious alike.

Also, in the eyes of some, people granting abortion is the equivalent of condoning murder. I know that's not how you take it, or for that matter how I take it, but if human life begins at conception then any process with terminates that development after conception could be construed as murder. So, expecting a religious person to be ok with it because they don't have to do it isn't really understanding their position at all.

Thank God that abortion in Ireland can't be put into law without the consent of the people.. Good old Irish Constitution.

Yes Church and State are separate. but the Question of abortion lies with the people, The same people who said they are 87% Catholic in the last census and the same people who twice rejected abortion in a Vote.

Strange how I saw Sinn Fein call for the vote on the nice treaty to be respected on the 1st referendum. Yet at 2 no votes on abortion they still want a 3 referendum on the issue.

The issue of abortion being 'wrong' is highly subjective. And I could argue those 87% (84% actually!) are not practising Catholics and that includes children, therefore that is an inaccurate figure.
    Under 6 weeks, there is no brain development so it's basically a ball of cells.
    Do you think that abortion will be still illegal here just because of religion. Atheism is growing rapidly and in your life time you'll see a lot of changes that contradict the churches teaching. Abortion is just one of the things that the church didn't want.
    Religion is rapidly becoming redundant in first world countries. All the better IMO.

I always find this majority mentality rather scary.

87% should have nothing to do with it. Either it's wrong or it's right. If 99% of the Irish people wanted disabled people killed that wouldn't make it right. Nor would if 99% of Irish people wanting abortion on demand available up to 1 year after childbirth. The numbers shouldn't count, either it is right, or it is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Respect for human life, from Conception to death, should be above religion.

Going home in the car listening to a women who went into a clinic in the UK saying she wanted an abortion because she was having a Girl instead of a Boy and being told "you want a termination then you want a termination"......

Abortion panders to the lowest elements of lack of humanity... are we such animals that we would kill our young.

I will be voting NO to abortion. Because its wrong, not because of Religion or faith. But because killing a child is wrong.

100%...percent agree.....

Wrong, the Constitution already provides the right to an abortion in certain circumstances
    What are you smoking? There were three amendments proposed in 1992:
    1. Remove the right to an abortion that already exists in the Constitution: Defeated, meaning the right to an abortion remained
    2. Insert the right to freedom of travel: Passed, meaning no-one could be prevented from travelling to obtain an abortion
    3. Insert the right to distribute information about services legally available in another state: Passed, meaning no-one can be prevented from distributing information about abortion
    There was one amendment proposed in 2002:
    1. Remove the right to an abortion that already exists in the Constitution: Defeated, meaning the right to an abortion remained
    There have been 4 votes on abortion issues in the state. On every single occasion, the anti-abortion lobby lost

So now that you actually have a bit of knowledge of the history of this issue, I take it you'll be protesting the Government's lack of action on implementing the legislation for the right that the people have twice voted for, given your oh-so-democratic stance?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Wrong, the Constitution already provides the right to an abortion in certain circumstances

So does the Catholic Faith. Except we don't call it abortion as that is intentionally targeting the Child, but if the life a Mother is at risk because of the pregnancy (ectopic) then the pregnancy is ended to save her life.

28064212 wrote: »
    So now that you actually have a bit of knowledge of the history of this issue, I take it you'll be protesting the Government's lack of action on implementing the legislation for the right that the people have twice voted for, given your oh-so-democratic stance?

Its already enacted.... The problem is the "At risk" part... Are you saying that the 4000+ women who have an abortion in UK are at risk or that they just want the on demand solution to an inconvenient problem.

So does the Catholic Faith. Except we don't call it abortion as that is intentionally targeting the Child, but if the life a Mother is at risk because of the pregnancy (ectopic) then the pregnancy is ended to save her life.

How does the church view other circumstances such as conception via rape, or is this the only exception?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

How does the church view other circumstances such as conception via rape, or is this the only exception?

No exceptions!

Here's a girl who was a virgin, and at age 16 was dragged into a van on the way home and was raped by 3 men. She didn't kill her baby.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1043041/I-raped-left-pregnant-16--I-love-baby.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭barfizz

I couldn't handle the people I love turning their backs on me.

If they turn their backs on you, then they never really loved you.

Fortunately, the Catholic faith's position has no relevance to state law
    Its already enacted....
    Wrong again. Can a woman who is suicidal get an abortion here? You know, the circumstances that your VOX POPULI twice voted for the right to an abortion in. No, there is no legislation allowing for it. Any doctor providing one would be guilty of an offence (under a law which is unconstitutional, but I can't see any doctor rushing to provide one only to be dragged to court)
    Are you saying that the 4000+ women who have an abortion in UK are at risk or that they just want the on demand solution to an inconvenient problem.
    Where did I mention anything remotely relating to that?

Are you just going to ignore the fact that the anti-abortion lobby has lost every referendum, despite your bizarre claims to the contrary, and your criticism of Sinn Féin for "not listening"?

If the life of the Mother is at Risk... i.e. if the mother will not survive the pregnancy.. then she has to be helped. In Ireland the morning after pill is available without prescription. Rape crisis clinics are available and 24hour phone care is available.

X cases are rare. But the bottom principles are the same, If the mothers life is at risk and this has to be determined by professionals.. the same why that they determine an ectopic pregnancy is a risk.

The 4000+ women going to the UK are not x-cases.. they are young women who have an unwanted pregnancy who were not raped and older women who are carrying disabled children they don't want to bring to term.

No exceptions!

Here's a girl who was a virgin, and at age 16 was dragged into a van on the way home and was raped by 3 men. She didn't kill her baby.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1043041/I-raped-left-pregnant-16--I-love-baby.html

That's disgusting. The church like to think that they are doing the moral thing by not permitting abortion but they indirectly punish girls in these kind of situations:mad: It makes no sense at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

No exceptions!

What an awful point. Some people who were raped believe they're capable of carrying their rapist's offspring for nine months and possibly even raising it. However this does not apply to every bloody rape victim, some may be pushed to suicide if they are forced to go ahead with the pregnancy. It isn't the same for every rape victim and if you had any sense, you'd realise that.

That's disgusting. The church like to think that they are doing the moral thing by not permitting abortion but they indirectly punish girls in these kind of situations:mad: It makes no sense at all.

The poster is just showing the objective value of an innocent life. If a women who was raped and so traumatised did not search for help and resulted pregnant turned up at 7 months saying she wanted an abortion..? Might it not be better to help the women carry the child to term and give up to adoption?

Catholic faith holds that all life is sacred from conception. Circumstances of how a person was conceived does not determine their value or their lack of value.. All people are equal from conception.

The poster is just showing the objective value of an innocent life. If a women who was raped and so traumatised did not search for help and resulted pregnant turned up at 7 months saying she wanted an abortion..? Might it not be better to help the women carry the child to term and give up to adoption?

Catholic faith holds that all life is sacred from conception. Circumstances of how a person was conceived does not determine their value or their lack of value.. All people are equal from conception.

Stop going to extremes to justify your argument because I am not talking about getting an abortion that far along.
    If a girl was raped and discovered she was pregnant I am sure she would seek to terminate it as soon as possible. I believe in abortion up until the second month, maybe the third.
    That scenario you have just described actually could happen in this country for the simple fact that abortion is not available here. Hypothetically, if she didn't have to wait to terminate her pregnancy she wouldn't be waiting until she was a few months pregnant before ending it.
    And what if this girl were to keep the child, not out of choice but by the fact that other options were not available and so she harbored resentment toward the child? This has been known to happen, so two lives could be ruined just for the sake of religious ethics.

Stop going to extremes to justify your argument because I am not talking about getting an abortion that far along.
    If a girl was raped and discovered she was pregnant I am sure she would seek to terminate it as soon as possible. I believe in abortion up until the second month, maybe the third.
    That scenario you have just described actually could happen in this country for the simple fact that abortion is not available here. Hypothetically, if she didn't have to wait to terminate her pregnancy she wouldn't be waiting until she was a few months pregnant before ending it.
    And what if this girl were to keep the child, not out of choice but by the fact that other options were not available and so she harbored resentment toward the child? This has been known to happen, so two lives could be ruined just for the sake of religious ethics.

you are amusing a lot. If a girl is raped there is morning after pill that can be bought over the counter. And Rape clinics will give it free.

Why to you assume that women would abort? Each women is different and will confront the situation differently.

I take it from your post that you would jump to abort after rape? Some women make see this as murdering an innocent life... However terrible the rape was.. Murdering the child is not going resolve much.

you are amusing a lot. If a girl is raped there is morning after pill that can be bought over the counter. And Rape clinics will give it free.

Why to you assume that women would abort? Each women is different and will confront the situation differently.

I take it from your post that you would jump to abort after rape? Some women make see this as murdering an innocent life... However terrible the rape was.. Murdering the child is not going resolve much.

Hang on! You don't consider the morning after pill an abortifacient? So, when after conception do you disagree with the termination of the process of development?

• Advertisement

The morning after pill only works accurately within 3 days is it? Under certain conditions a girl who was raped might not have gotten it in time.
    I'm also not saying that all girls would abort, I'm saying that at least under these circumstances abortion should be granted.

And how can you be in favour of the morning after pill and not abortion? Both do the same thing, 'murder a child' as you say.
    If you said life starts at conception, yet you are fine with the morning after pill then you're not seeing the fault in your argument.

"I take it from your post that you would jump to abort after rape?"
    I'm a guy so raped or not, it would be fairly hard for me to get pregnant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement