Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

04-05-2012, 16:15   #1
Stevegeraghty

Licence question

A quick one, My dad got his licence approval and went down the post office and paid it. My question is can he go to the gun shop with the receipt and pick up his gun or does he have to wait for the actual licence?
Advertisement
04-05-2012, 16:23   #2
Cass

Send a message via MSN to Cass
Some dealers allow/do it, but technically he has not got the license he has a grant letter only. I always say it doesn't hurt to wait the few days to get the actual license, and then collect.

Up to the dealer really. The grant letter says the license was granted, and the receipt shows the fee was paid so the license coming is only a formality.
Thanks from:
04-05-2012, 20:29   #3
Hunter21

If its his first rifle or first in that caliber the dealer won't know legally how many rounds he is allowed to sell your father and if your father is allowed a moderator for that rifle or not so best wait a few days and everyone will know whats what.
Thanks from:
04-05-2012, 20:52   #4
Stevegeraghty

Cheers lads, it's a shot gun he has, I'd say he may wait till next week
04-05-2012, 23:08   #5
BattleCorp

I've collected my last few guns with the grant letter and receipt but as other posters have said, it's best to wait a few days for the licence. It usually only takes three or four days.
Advertisement
04-05-2012, 23:13   #6
kildare.17hmr
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter21 View Post
If its his first rifle or first in that caliber the dealer won't know legally how many rounds he is allowed to sell your father and if your father is allowed a moderator for that rifle or not so best wait a few days and everyone will know whats what.
I tend to buy ammo in every shop i go into just to spend a few quid there as the ammo will be used anyway, im yet to meet a dealer in this country who ever asked about my ammo limit and as i have 2 licences back to back in the plastic slip they have never taken them out to check ether
05-05-2012, 09:11   #7
rsole1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kildare.17hmr View Post
I tend to buy ammo in every shop i go into just to spend a few quid there as the ammo will be used anyway, im yet to meet a dealer in this country who ever asked about my ammo limit and as i have 2 licences back to back in the plastic slip they have never taken them out to check ether
Some don't even look at the licence.

Heard one fella when asked for his licence "sure it's on your computer so it is", and off he walked with .223 ammo.
05-05-2012, 10:50   #8
kildare.17hmr
Closed Account

Thereis 1 or 2 places i dont get asked for the licence anymore but thats because they know me, wouldnt think that would be done if the person was not known in the shop. Hope not anyway!
05-05-2012, 12:16   #9
Stevegeraghty

Quote:
Thereis 1 or 2 places i dont get asked for the licence anymore but thats because they know me, wouldnt think that would be done if the person was not known in the shop. Hope not anyway!
Do they not have to write it into the book?

I've never been asked about my ammo limit
Advertisement
05-05-2012, 13:43   #10
kildare.17hmr
Closed Account

I think they are ment to, was in a shop yesterday and he said if they do ever get around to checking the flick through the book and never read it
05-05-2012, 14:42   #11
Longranger

There's one fella near me who fills in his book like a monk writing a feckin scripture!
Thanks from:
05-05-2012, 17:23   #12
patdahat

the grant letter worked for me the dealer took it and it was my first rifle. just give him a ring and ask him. best of luck with the new gun.
05-05-2012, 18:02   #13
Cass

Send a message via MSN to Cass
Quote:
Thereis 1 or 2 places i dont get asked for the licence anymore but thats because they know me,........!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevegeraghty View Post
Do they not have to write it into the book?
On those two points. Every dealer will write it into his book. Whether that is done in front of you or when you leave or even at the end of the day. They get in ammo, and must account for every round sold and to whom. They would not risk their license by not having completed logs should they get inspected by An Gardai.
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion