Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-04-2012, 02:12   #1
StudentDad

VRT and Paddy Spec Cars!

Here I am tormenting myself I suppose. Looking at various car manufacturer websites and comparing and contrasting with what is on offer in the UK.

It's bloody sickening! Did a bit of a compare and contrast with the new ford focus just for the devilment. The ford.ie site looks like it's on a diet! Don't need that engine! or those styling options!

Was considering buying a new car but once again when I see the bloody difference between the markets my money is staying in my pocket!

SD
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-04-2012, 11:22   #2
Anan1

Surely you can order a car here with the options you want?
27-04-2012, 12:02   #3
StudentDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anan1 View Post
Surely you can order a car here with the options you want?
Of course I can. However, the car I want is 'optional' here in VRT Paddy Land! and costs even more money! If there was no VRT I could go up north buy the car I want with more kit as standard and not have to deal with the retarded little protectionist bubble that is the car market in the republic.

I compared the focus as available here and in the UK. Even allowing for currency variation you simply get a better equipped car in the UK market for the same money spent here!

It is sickening! I am currently on the lookout for a new car but with the current VRT system in place that effectively crucifies new car buyers here in the republic, I won't be buying my new car here.

SD
Thanks from:
27-04-2012, 12:10   #4
MuppetCheck

Ford specs are pretty similar between here and the UK. Which model/options are you looking for?
27-04-2012, 12:19   #5
StudentDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetCheck View Post
Ford specs are pretty similar between here and the UK. Which model/options are you looking for?
Pretty similar isn't good enough. The market here is separated away from the rest of Europe due to VRT. The EU is going to take Ireland to court if it doesn't change the law.

If I go to my local car showroom - of whatever brand of car - as far as I am concerned I am a European and I expect to pay a European price. Not a 'local' price because of some pseudo nationalistic crap about national borders and 'local' market conditions.

SD
Advertisement
27-04-2012, 12:22   #6
OSI

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudentDad View Post
Pretty similar isn't good enough. The market here is separated away from the rest of Europe due to VRT. The EU is going to take Ireland to court if it doesn't change the law.

If I go to my local car showroom - of whatever brand of car - as far as I am concerned I am a European and I expect to pay a European price. Not a 'local' price because of some pseudo nationalistic crap about national borders and 'local' market conditions.

SD
They've taken neither Ireland or the Netherlands to court over these taxes in the last 20 years, so I don't see why they would start now. Europe does not have control over our taxes yet, and I'm happy for it to stay that way.
27-04-2012, 12:23   #7
Anan1

Quote:
Of course I can. However, the car I want is 'optional' here in VRT Paddy Land! and costs even more money! If there was no VRT I could go up north buy the car I want with more kit as standard and not have to deal with the retarded little protectionist bubble that is the car market in the republic.

I compared the focus as available here and in the UK. Even allowing for currency variation you simply get a better equipped car in the UK market for the same money spent here!

It is sickening! I am currently on the lookout for a new car but with the current VRT system in place that effectively crucifies new car buyers here in the republic, I won't be buying my new car here.

SD
So your issue is with VRT, not specification?
27-04-2012, 12:29   #8
MuppetCheck

Quote:

SD
What has VRT to do with the specification of the vehicle?

What are the specification differences you speak of?
27-04-2012, 12:29   #9
StudentDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anan1 View Post
Quote:

SD
So your issue is with VRT, not specification?
Both - in an effort to keep down cost due to insane taxes the dealers here are forced to offer a product that does not match the likes of UK etc. We are European, it should be an open market, VRT prevents this.

SD
Advertisement
27-04-2012, 12:33   #10
StudentDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSI View Post
Quote:

SD
They've taken neither Ireland or the Netherlands to court over these taxes in the last 20 years, so I don't see why they would start now. Europe does not have control over our taxes yet, and I'm happy for it to stay that way.
Well with a bit of luck they will take us to court - HTTP://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0126/cars-business.html

SD
27-04-2012, 13:53   #11
Eric Cartman

VRT is not going away, but its true about spec. VW are mad ones for not including options, most car dealers even look at you funny when you ask to get a copy of the options brochure.

Ive even had dealers lie to me saying the model they sold was the full spec or denying an option doesnt exist.
27-04-2012, 14:16   #12
Chriscl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetCheck View Post
i was in the uk in march and spotted loads of titanium model mondeo's, smaxes and galaxies and all were very very nice looking machines, especially a few mondeo estate titanium x's that were about. ive only ever seen one smax titanium here. why is this, are they too expensive due to vrt on extras or are they a special order in ireland?
Thanks from:
27-04-2012, 14:23   #13
StudentDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Cartman View Post
VRT is not going away, but its true about spec. VW are mad ones for not including options, most car dealers even look at you funny when you ask to get a copy of the options brochure.

Ive even had dealers lie to me saying the model they sold was the full spec or denying an option doesnt exist.
What really pisses me off is that if you do decide to import a car from the UK or somewhere else in the Union the VRT charged on the car based on whatever arbitrary number pulled out of Revenues Left Armpit is as far as I can see designed not only to discourage anyone from importing a car from another member state but also to discourage anyone from importing a car that is a little bit different or equipped to a better level than anything else on the road.

It's almost a kind of begrudgery. The sooner we have a proper EU-wide tax system the better. I've gone to visit friends in the UK over the years and they'll have a fairly standard - for the UK - car and not only is it cheaper than what's available over here it just has more kit as standard. Couple that with lower overall road tax and it makes me wonder what's the bloody point in buying a car in the republic at all?

Between the depreciation, the initial tax outlay and the lousy specs compared to other member states, is it any wonder that car sales are dropping like a stone?

SD
Thanks from:
27-04-2012, 14:35   #14
StudentDad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscl1 View Post
i was in the uk in march and spotted loads of titanium model mondeo's, smaxes and galaxies and all were very very nice looking machines, especially a few mondeo estate titanium x's that were about. ive only ever seen one smax titanium here. why is this, are they too expensive due to vrt on extras or are they a special order in ireland?
It's a mystery - up there with the limited range of engines and the fact that for alot of makes of car - if you want a particular model you have no choice but to hop over to the UK and buy it there and import it - I swear it's like there is a civil servant in Dublin Castle whose only job is to 'remove' fun from Irish life. 'Oh that car is too nice, can't have that here in Ireland, better tax that out of existence.'

SD
(3) thanks from:
27-04-2012, 14:37   #15
Anan1

Quote:
Both - in an effort to keep down cost due to insane taxes the dealers here are forced to offer a product that does not match the likes of UK etc.
Isn't it better for the consumer to have lower standard specs and then build the car that suits their needs?

Quote:
We are European, it should be an open market, VRT prevents this.

SD
We are an open market, VRT is a registration tax. Are you under the impression that VRT is unique to Ireland? Out of interest, what's the VRT rate on the Focus you were considering?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion