Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermittant Fasting

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Guin pig the sh*t outta it and lemme know how it goes :D

And excel, lol. Know what you do for a living :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭ferike1

I have been doing the IF for a while now (since late Jan) but up to now I was mostly interested in getting +20% and -20% calories and hitting my protein numbers of 2-2.5g per kg. Now I am also interested in making sure I hit the recommended macro numbers. On the simple plan I lost 4-5 kgs of weight from 92 to 87-88kgs while increasing all my main lifts. I just started the more complex plan this weekend and I will keep you updated.
    I train fasted and I don't find any downside to it.

Yeah its quite obvious isn't it. But making diet spreadsheets is fun as opposed to the daily grind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭cmyk

Looks like a lot of work there ferike1, have you seen this one?

Hey man. Yeah I did see it! Its also a great calculator. The database of foods is what I couldn't really find. I know there are apps you can scan the foods in but I like to see it all laid on a page, easier for me to follow. Thought it would be useful for others too. Fairly standard foods. Haha, bread was not included because I never eat any! :D

As a gauge. This is me just starting the proper IF. Pics taken as part of the experiment for Hanley!

snapshot341620121019pm.th.png
    snapshot241620121016pm.th.png
    snapshot141620121014pm.th.png

According to the calipers my bf is 9% @ 88kgs. This is the starting point of the great IF experiment! :D

• Advertisement

ferike1 wrote: »
    According to the calipers my bf is 9% @ 88kgs. This is the starting point of the great IF experiment! :D

You look better with your clothes off alright. Remember that time in the jacks?!

Ehhhhhhhh I mean.... F*ck :/

Its okay Hanley. I think its time everyone here knew the truth! :D

On a side note the guy that is the main advocate of IF, Martin Berkhan, is an absolute beast!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Hey man. Yeah I did see it! Its also a great calculator. The database of foods is what I couldn't really find. I know there are apps you can scan the foods in but I like to see it all laid on a page, easier for me to follow. Thought it would be useful for others too. Fairly standard foods. Haha, bread was not included because I never eat any! :D

As a gauge. This is me just starting the proper IF. Pics taken as part of the experiment for Hanley!

Well hello there :p

Ha would ya stop my hair is a mess!

Anyone else here on boards tried the IF routine out of curiousity?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

Ha would ya stop my hair is a mess!

Anyone else here on boards tried the IF routine out of curiousity?

I haven't tried it yet, but I've been doing a lot of reading up on it as of late. I'm quite curious about it, but it just seems a little awkward to fit into my daily routine at the moment. I'll be following this thread to see how it goes for ya!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭danlen

I've been looking in depth into this too.

The only thing holding me back from this is that I sometimes train twice a day (gym before work & BJJ in the evening). I presume for IF to fit my scheule I would have to train fasted in the morning, consume amino acids on the hour until afternoon, and have another meal after evening training before beginning the fast again.

Going to try this from next week and see how my performance is in both the morning and evening sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Were you swinging from the rafters in raw this morning by any chance?

IF sounds like a lot of effort...

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

Im going to give this ago starting Tuesday, spent a while writing down some info and finding out what my calories and macros should be.

Bit of background, I did very little weight training starting 3 months back before a herniated disk set me back for the last 3 weeks.
    Im 103.3 kilos at around 26.6% bf so if this 'diet' is effective i should make good progress fingers crossed.

Im thinking of going with:

-the three big lifts, one each day (dl, squat, bench)
    -10 mins warm up jogging and 20 mins face paced walking after lifting

Any body any opinion on this? Do I need additional assistance exercises? I feel i would but as a noob Im open to advice
    And would it be OK to add in a few cardio sessions on rest days?

Sorry if Ive hi-jacked the thread feel free to have it moved

Sangre wrote: »
    Were you swinging from the rafters in raw this morning by any chance?

IF sounds like a lot of effort...

Probably... he thinks he's a bartendaaaaah!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

Guy posts topless pictures of himself on internet, I think "Heh him and hanley should be friends", turns out they already are.

Word.

We are more than that, we share a bond deeper than blood. We are both.....accountants! :pac:

If there was swinging involved that was probably me.

http://www.mediafire.com/?7pbnwxubapzawmp

I put it up on mediafire in case the rapidshare wasn't working.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭sweetthing

Cheers for this thread, ferike1. It's opened my eyes up to intermittent fasting in a big way, in particualr MArtin BErkham's leangains blog. The way he outlines nutrition and workouts is very much in-line with a lot of what I hear on this board, and along with this board, has been one of the best sources of information on the topic for me. I'm definitely gonna try intermittent fasting too...if I can last a whole morning with no food. Thanks christ for coffee

To be honest. If you are in work the hunger isn't bad at all, you are focusing on work and not on eating. I usually train in the mornings fasted. Head to work and by the time the hunger kicks in I usually only have an hour/30 minutes til 1:00 O'clock. Due to work constraints I may break the fast 30 minutes early if I have to take lunch at 12:30, since usually I have a lot of food to go through :D.

Generally the eating from 1 - 9 also leaves you more satiated so you aren't hungry the next morning. This is just what I have found from my experience with it.

I'm planning on giving it a go next week just to see if it'll work with training and work etc. I've been reading mainly the leangains approach to IF. And actually find it really funny that leangains recommend that women do 14/10 instead of the usually recommended 16/ 8 because women get quite moody and hungry without food:pac::pac:...and yes...they are completely and utterly right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I know of some people who do IF and get through the morning on a cup of "bulletproof coffee" - coffee with coconut oil.

I hope there will be regular progress pictures Ferike1, for you know, letching scientific research purposes.

I know of some people who do IF and get through the morning on a cup of "bulletproof coffee" - coffee with coconut oil.

I hope there will be regular progress pictures Ferike1, for you know, letching scientific research purposes.

TBH the only thing that has been holding me back from IF is the thoughts of going in to a class full of kids whilst fasted. Like, I need to be full of energy for work, mornings more so than later in the day. I'd plan to break the fast at 11am..Can anyone tell me what energy levels are like coming near to the end of a fast?

gymfreak wrote: »

TBH the only thing that has been holding me back from IF is the thoughts of going in to a class full of kids whilst fasted. Like, I need to be full of energy for work, mornings more so than later in the day. I'd plan to break the fast at 11am..Can anyone tell me what energy levels are like coming near to the end of a fast?

I usually have a cup of green tea in the mornings and I am fine. Again this is my own experience. Maybe at first its tougher but I believe you do get used to IF as being normal after a while rather than being some crazy diet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Trying this my self for the next few weeks see how I go. Breakfast is always my crux, im usually leppin in the morning. Once I ignore the hunger it usually goes away after about 30 minutes. Dont really notice a lack of energy or anything. A couple of cups of black tea in the morning have set me straight. So, my plan is nothing til one and then 3 meals until 9. Interesting to see the results if any.

I usually have a cup of green tea in the mornings and I am fine. Again this is my own experience. Maybe at first its tougher but I believe you do get used to IF as being normal after a while rather than being some crazy diet.

Started this this week and I have to say I amn't finding it as hard as I thought. I havent noticed any lack of energy at all and I'm not really missing my big beef stirfry for breakfast! In fact I'm actually loving the extra time in bed...it means I wake up way fresher and rearing to go. I'm mainly curious about how I'll feel heading into training especially on the weekends when I possibly will be training fasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Anyone else finding they theyre stuffed to the gills after relatively small meals? I'm struggling to get any proper amount of food into me!

thehamo wrote: »
    Anyone else finding they theyre stuffed to the gills after relatively small meals? I'm struggling to get any proper amount of food into me!

You just gotta soldier through it :D

On the plus side, good gains are being made!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

• Registered Users Posts: 39,079 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Dathai wrote: »
    Should of went with a bully whippet pic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Okay someone explain this diet to me.

So I basically fast for 16 hours/eat for 8 and cycle calories based on rest/workout days e.g. deficit/maintenance?

Advertisement