Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset* - Page 27 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
View Poll Results: Did you pay the household charge?
Yes 96 28.57%
No 221 65.77%
Other (specify on thread) 19 5.65%
Voters: 336. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Closed  

31-03-2012, 23:55   #391
alastair

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie7730 View Post
So alastair was saying.
Quite - for some anyway, who live in a fantasy where the government is 'undemocratic' because they don't want to stump up €100.
Advertisement
31-03-2012, 23:57   #392
dvpower
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by xflyer View Post
Well we Russians have spoken.
... and lost the cold war.

Seriously, it is now clear that the tax is here to stay. The anti charge people gave a bloody nose to the government, but no knockout punch. The government wins, on points.
Thanks from:
01-04-2012, 00:00   #393
Bruthal

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastair View Post
Quite - for some anyway, who live in a fantasy where the government is 'undemocratic' because they don't want to stump up €100.
A more slithering. Perhaps a mention of my car, still in the driveway as a garden ornament, will also help take your tax avoidng when it suits you, off the agenda now.
01-04-2012, 00:01   #394
Bishop_Donal
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by squod View Post
So you accept the majority of the population do not want to pay a household charge and their views should be enforced?
I think you'll find that the initial compliance rate for the charge would be sufficient to garner an overall majority under proportional representation!

I'll guarantee you that the compliance rate will rise to the 70% mark minimum over the coming months. Then, bit by bit, the rest will come on board because they have no option. It's just like the bin charges all over again. Loads of empty vessels, but they'll all comply in the end because they ultimately have no choice (otherwise you own a property that you can't sell!!).
01-04-2012, 00:02   #395
apache6

and the winners of this cold war are the very people who shafted ireland, Timothy Geithner US Treasury secretary came off the phone to Obama and straight away told our Government that under no circumstances would the US tolerate Ireland not paying all bond holders - contrary to IMF advice - extarordinary
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
01-04-2012, 00:06   #396
apache6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bishop_Donal View Post
I think you'll find that the initial compliance rate for the charge would be sufficient to garner an overall majority under proportional representation!

I'll guarantee you that the compliance rate will rise to the 70% mark minimum over the coming months. Then, bit by bit, the rest will come on board because they have no option. It's just like the bin charges all over again. Loads of empty vessels, but they'll all comply in the end because they ultimately have no choice (otherwise you own a property that you can't sell!!).
You can't sell property anyway, have you been under a rock - the economy is in freefall - 6 six years of falling domestic economy, a new EU record.
Thanks from:
01-04-2012, 00:08   #397
alastair

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie7730 View Post
A more slithering. Perhaps a mention of my car, still in the driveway as a garden ornament, will also help take your tax avoidng when it suits you, off the agenda now.
Eh? You're the one who tried to pretend that motor tax wasn't a tax on car ownership - because you can keep the car in the garden without taxing it! If that's the best you can drum up, you deserve ridicule.

Why don't you toddle off and find something of mine in this thread that actually involves hypocrisy? Because you'll be wasting your time. I was quite clear on the reasons for supporting this tax, and opposing the poll tax - and if you can't get your head around that - not really my problem.
01-04-2012, 00:11   #398
emo72

Quote:
Originally Posted by apache6 View Post
and the winners of this cold war are the very people who shafted ireland, Timothy Geithner US Treasury secretary came off the phone to Obama and straight away told our Government that under no circumstances would the US tolerate Ireland not paying all bond holders - contrary to IMF advice - extarordinary
I remember hearing about this at the time but didn't follow up on it. It is extraordinary and for those who think we live in a democracy, well, you do as long as you do as your told.
01-04-2012, 00:11   #399
The Crab

I cannot believe there are people out there who argue for this fascist tax. Those who support it are doing very well under the current system and are frightened of change. It didn't take the world and its daughter to improve the czarist system in Russia, it shouldn't take the world and its daughter to change the fascist system in Ireland. It just needs a group of people who have bollocks who will stand up to this system where if you are rich you can do anything you like but if you are poor then be prepared to be spat on or go to prison.

Hasta la Victoria Siempre!
Advertisement
01-04-2012, 00:15   #400
alastair

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Crab View Post
I cannot believe there are people out there who argue for this fascist tax. Those who support it are doing very well under the current system and are frightened of change. It didn't take the world and its daughter to improve the czarist system in Russia, it shouldn't take the world and its daughter to change the fascist system in Ireland. It just needs a group of people who have bollocks who will stand up to this system where if you are rich you can do anything you like but if you are poor then be prepared to be spat on or go to prison.

Hasta la Victoria Siempre!
Wow. Colour me impressed. A double fascist and a bonus white russian reference. And never gets near the actual issue to hand. Well done that man!
Thanks from:
01-04-2012, 00:18   #401
emo72

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastair View Post
Wow. Colour me impressed. A double fascist and a bonus white russian reference. And never gets near the actual issue to hand. Well done that man!

Think he is suggesting, the point that you are arguing in defence of the tax, therefore you are doing well under the current regime.
01-04-2012, 00:20   #402
apache6

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo72 View Post
I remember hearing about this at the time but didn't follow up on it. It is extraordinary and for those who think we live in a democracy, well, you do as long as you do as your told.

emo, yes it's true but well they don't want to trouble us simple folk with anything quite so mundane as Truth.

The IMF suggested we should scald/burn bond holders but the US government played hardball, something our government hadn't the courage to do.
It was like a high stakes poker game where our boys couldn't look their opponent in the eye - so we lost hands down. Then again we did pay advisors 25 Million and they advised against the blanket guarantee and we ignored their advice too.
(4) thanks from:
01-04-2012, 00:22   #403
alastair

Quote:
Originally Posted by emo72 View Post
Think he is suggesting, the point that you are arguing in defence of the tax, therefore you are doing well under the current regime.
I don't believe I know Mr Crab, so I'm pretty sure he doesn't know how well I'm doing or otherwise. Wasn't Che a fan of property taxes in any case?
01-04-2012, 00:23   #404
Bishop_Donal
Closed Account

Quote:
You can't sell property anyway, have you been under a rock - the economy is in freefall - 6 six years of falling domestic economy, a new EU record.
Think you are missing the point, but it"s all academic now anyway.

You can amend the slogan now to:

Don't register; Don't Pay; Don't sell; Don't worry about the penalty you're incurring until you are forced to pay it!!

In the end of the day you are doing a bit extra for the country by paying the penalty, so even when you are given the extra bit of latitude, please don't avail of it!!! Do your bit for the country > pay the higher charge.
01-04-2012, 00:27   #405
emo72

Quote:
emo, yes it's true but well they don't want to trouble us simple folk with anything quite so mundane as Truth.

The IMF suggested we should scald/burn bond holders but the US government played hardball, something our government hadn't the courage to do.
It was like a high stakes poker game where our boys couldn't look their opponent in the eye - so we lost hands down. Then again we did pay advisors 25 Million and they advised against the blanket guarantee and we ignored their advice too.

I know its horrible. The civil servants and politicians had nothing to lose. They knew their pensions and jobs were safe. They signed us up for it instead. Absolutely morally corrupt bastards. Hope they rot in hell.
(2) thanks from:
Thread Closed