Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-03-2012, 00:11   #76
Lockstep
Boondock Saint

FWIW, I know a guy who got into the cadetship class a couple of years ago straight out of school. He was VERY good though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickstartHeart View Post
That's a pretty good idea.

The Australian Defence Forces run pretty much the entire competition for their cadetship's within one week where all of the candidates that met the requirements at application stayed in the academy for 7 days. Day one, fitness test. You fail, home you go. Next day psychometric testing, you fail, home you go. And so on.. At the end of the week after each stage of testing, which is pretty much the same kind of tests that you have to do for a cadetship in the PDF, your'e left with nearly the amount of candidates needed to fill the class.

All of this is done under strict military discipline, reveille, parades, PT, introduction lectures on military life etc. and even getting shown around and shown weapons displays and the likes.

They lose just as much people to quitting because its not for them as they do from the tests. Its a GREAT system. Also, it doesn't leave the candidates in a state of limbo wondering will they get a cadetship or not for nearly half a year.

That's a whole cadetship competition, done and dusted within one week. The PDF are well able to do something similar. They could easily have the psychometric testing done in the gym in the curragh, split the candidates into groups and different groups could rotate between taking tests and doing different things on different days. For example, group A be could be doing group tests on monday, while their buddies in group B are in the gym doing their psychometric tests.

Not only is it quicker, and better for the candidates and the selection process, its probably WAY cheaper too.
That sounds like a really, really good system.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
25-03-2012, 00:23   #77
discus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickstartHeart View Post
That's a pretty good idea.

The Australian Defence Forces run pretty much the entire competition for their cadetship's within one week where all of the candidates that met the requirements at application stayed in the academy for 7 days. Day one, fitness test. You fail, home you go. Next day psychometric testing, you fail, home you go. And so on.. At the end of the week after each stage of testing, which is pretty much the same kind of tests that you have to do for a cadetship in the PDF, your'e left with nearly the amount of candidates needed to fill the class.

All of this is done under strict military discipline, reveille, parades, PT, introduction lectures on military life etc. and even getting shown around and shown weapons displays and the likes.

They lose just as much people to quitting because its not for them as they do from the tests. Its a GREAT system. Also, it doesn't leave the candidates in a state of limbo wondering will they get a cadetship or not for nearly half a year.

That's a whole cadetship competition, done and dusted within one week. The PDF are well able to do something similar. They could easily have the psychometric testing done in the gym in the curragh, split the candidates into groups and different groups could rotate between taking tests and doing different things on different days. For example, group A be could be doing group tests on monday, while their buddies in group B are in the gym doing their psychometric tests.

Not only is it quicker, and better for the candidates and the selection process, its probably WAY cheaper too.
This is near identical to how the British Army do it, except it's over a 2 day assessment (AOSB Briefing), then a series of 5 day regimental selections (not compulsory, but good to have a regiment sponsor you through the last round) followed by a 5 days assessment (AOSB Main Board). Only differend is the drinks on the last night at main board... if you happen to get caught shagging a female candidate, or lets say you drank too much and piss the bed and exchangedd it with someone elses yet STILL got caught...... you can redeem yourself on the last mornings activities (FINAL ASSAULT COURSE )
Thanks from:
11-04-2012, 14:27   #78
ECSD

Lads if you get past the first stage then your on the right track....its the toughest of all the stages and after doing a cadetship, with all the late nights of cleaning gear, doing night navigation exercises and battle PT's I can honestly say that the toughest thing about it is getting in.
Thanks from:
11-04-2012, 14:34   #79
limboninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECSD View Post
Lads if you get past the first stage then your on the right track....its the toughest of all the stages and after doing a cadetship, with all the late nights of cleaning gear, doing night navigation exercises and battle PT's I can honestly say that the toughest thing about it is getting in.
I found the group assessment tough!! its where I fell down last year!! the people who had done it a few times had the edge over the rest of us!!
11-04-2012, 19:50   #80
Poccington
Closed Account

Quote:
If the worst part of your Cadetship were night nav's, battle PT's and scrubbing kit well then they must be rolling Cadet's in cotton wool down in the Jedi Academy.
Advertisement
12-04-2012, 09:49   #81
KickstartHeart

Quote:
Thanks for the advice.

How challenging was the training in the cadetschool?
16-04-2012, 22:33   #82
ThawkA

I've got a question lads, if you have a degree, how formal or informal is listing out your leaving results? I was re-reading over some cadet information and noticed that even with a degree you needed certain passes in LC subjects. Unfortunately, I cocked up in my LC higher maths exam and failed it (actually turned out a blessing as I didn't get into Computer Science which turned out to be the opposite of what I thought it would be and ended up doing a degree I actually enjoyed, anyway back on track) I'll be entering into the competition with a BA and a MSc, and apparently that means **** all because of some test 4 years ago, so is it a kind of fill in the grade and subject, but we actually want to see your degree type deal or a formal, here are my results deal?

To be honest, I'm gutted, got relations in armies all over the bloody world and been setting myself up for a career in the army since I can remember, just to hear that everything I did in college means nothing as to what I actually want to do. I alwasy just assume, naively so, that bachelors/masters trumps LC.
16-04-2012, 23:11   #83
IrishFeeney92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThawkA View Post
I've got a question lads, if you have a degree, how formal or informal is listing out your leaving results? I was re-reading over some cadet information and noticed that even with a degree you needed certain passes in LC subjects. Unfortunately, I cocked up in my LC higher maths exam and failed it (actually turned out a blessing as I didn't get into Computer Science which turned out to be the opposite of what I thought it would be and ended up doing a degree I actually enjoyed, anyway back on track) I'll be entering into the competition with a BA and a MSc, and apparently that means **** all because of some test 4 years ago, so is it a kind of fill in the grade and subject, but we actually want to see your degree type deal or a formal, here are my results deal?

To be honest, I'm gutted, got relations in armies all over the bloody world and been setting myself up for a career in the army since I can remember, just to hear that everything I did in college means nothing as to what I actually want to do. I alwasy just assume, naively so, that bachelors/masters trumps LC.
Im pretty sure the leaving cert is the "minimum requirement" a degree completly out does that and therefore "should" make you eligible because it far outdoes the minimum requirement....it wouldnt make sense at all not to. I was in the same situation with the Royal Irish and i found out that if you cock up your LC your degree replaces it and makes you eligible....Im sure it works the same here but if im wrong I hope somebody corrects me
17-04-2012, 01:40   #84
Topper Harley

Quote:

Even with having completed third level education, you still need the required subjects in the leaving cert, however as you're now a graduate, all the required LC subjects don't have to have been done in a single sitting (they do for school leavers though). So all you have to do is re-sit the LC ordinary level maths exam and you'll meet all the requirements.

Don't know whether or not it's too late to register for a LC sitting now but an ordinary level maths exam will be fairly easy with just a few weeks preparation, so might be worth looking in to.
Advertisement
17-04-2012, 12:01   #85
IrishFeeney92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper Harley View Post
Even with having completed third level education, you still need the required subjects in the leaving cert, however as you're now a graduate, all the required LC subjects don't have to have been done in a single sitting (they do for school leavers though). So all you have to do is re-sit the LC ordinary level maths exam and you'll meet all the requirements.

Don't know whether or not it's too late to register for a LC sitting now but an ordinary level maths exam will be fairly easy with just a few weeks preparation, so might be worth looking in to.
Are you sure?? Where abouts did you find this out? (Dont mean to come accross as snotty or anything)
17-04-2012, 17:49   #86
Poccington
Closed Account

Quote:

My best advice to you, if you want a definite answer, is get in contact with the Competitions Section.

If the LC takes precedence over a BA and MSc, the mind truly boggles.
17-04-2012, 19:52   #87
Gooleybag

Quote:
Originally Posted by limboninja View Post
I found the group assessment tough!! its where I fell down last year!! the people who had done it a few times had the edge over the rest of us!!
The Group Assessment took on big changes last year over previous so no one had any edge over anyone else at the end of the day if you're the right candidate you'll get through
18-04-2012, 01:04   #88
Topper Harley

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeney92 View Post
Are you sure?? Where abouts did you find this out? (Dont mean to come accross as snotty or anything)
I speak from experience and it's also in the 2011 Cadetship Information and Rules Booklet...

Quote:
2. MINIMUM EDUCATIONAL QUALIFICATIONS

a. School Leavers/Non Graduates Army & Air Corps must posses a minimum of Grade C3 in 3 Higher Level papers and Grade D3 in 3 Ordinary/Higher level papers, in a single sitting of the Leaving Certificate Examination.

Each candidate for Army (Line) must possess a minimum of Grade D3 in the following Ordinary/Higher level subjects:
(1) Mathematics. (2) Irish. (3) English. (4) Third language. (5) Any two Matriculation subjects not already selected.

b. Graduates Army & Air Corps must possess as a minimum Grade D3 in the following Ordinary/Higher level subjects:
(1) Mathematics (2) Irish or English (3) Any four Matriculation subjects not already selected.

AND
Must have obtained a recognised degree i.e. a Third Level Degree awarded up to the end of 2004. With effect from 2005 have successfully completed an Honours Bachelor Degree programme at pass or honours level (level 8 of the National Framework of Qualifications).
Section 2.b. makes no reference to a requirement for graduates' to have completed all the required LC subjects in a single sitting.
18-04-2012, 01:16   #89
Capt Blackadder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooleybag View Post
The Group Assessment took on big changes last year over previous so no one had any edge over anyone else at the end of the day if you're the right candidate you'll get through
That it did. I wish they'd go ahead and launch the thing already.
18-04-2012, 12:14   #90
KickstartHeart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topper Harley View Post
I speak from experience and it's also in the 2011 Cadetship Information and Rules Booklet...

Section 2.b. makes no reference to a requirement for graduates' to have completed all the required LC subjects in a single sitting.

So to sum it up, if you have a degree, you also need to have met the LC standards.

For anyone in the situation of having a degree and not having the LC standard met, I reckon you should ring recruitment and see; if you have a degree, can you go and obtain the LC standards on your own accord with another sitting of the subjects that you didn't meet the standard with in the past.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion