Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-03-2012, 23:25   #181
CL7
Closed Account

What is it like? Has it aged well? Lots of reviews on IMDB calling it a "masterpiece". This worries me as it's often not the case and says more about the reviewer than the actual movie.
Advertisement
21-03-2012, 09:54   #182
Fysh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strange View Post
What is it like? Has it aged well? Lots of reviews on IMDB calling it a "masterpiece". This worries me as it's often not the case and says more about the reviewer than the actual movie.
Umm...

I'm not sure how you plan to take the word of someone on boards as being intrinsically worth more than the word of a reviewer on IMDB, but for what it's worth, I'd say the Seventh Seal is a masterpiece. Bear in mind that it helped make Bergman and Sydow's careers and has been consistently critically well-regarded in the decades since its release. It has aged well.

Obviously it'll depend what you look for in a film, so if you're in the mood for Big Momma's House 17: Momma Just Won't Stay Dead, you'll probably not enjoy it. If you're into film at all, you pretty much have to watch it, and it's very likely you'll find it a rewarding experience.
(5) thanks from:
21-03-2012, 10:24   #183
podgemonster

I watched the Midnight Meat Train, thoroughly enjoyed it. Basicallly a photographer (Bradley Cooper) discovers a serial killer on a late night underground train in NYC. The film has a frantic and claustraphpic feel with intense and brutal action scenes It doesnt hold back on gore but unlike recent horror movies the goreiness doesnt become central.

Vinnie Jones is perfectly cast with the added bonus that he barely has any lines. The film didnt scare me as such but although I may be more cautious travel on public transport at night.

Also saw King of Kong and loved it!
21-03-2012, 12:16   #184
bada_bing

checked out Hunter Prey on US netflix last night.

It's a sci-fi low budget movie in a similar vein to Enemy Mine.
It was worth watching, hell it was better than most movies with bigger budgets as it has an interesting storyline and is essentially an alien cat-mouse movie.
21-03-2012, 16:18   #185
CL7
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fysh View Post
Umm...

I'm not sure how you plan to take the word of someone on boards as being intrinsically worth more than the word of a reviewer on IMDB, but for what it's worth, I'd say the Seventh Seal is a masterpiece. Bear in mind that it helped make Bergman and Sydow's careers and has been consistently critically well-regarded in the decades since its release. It has aged well.

Obviously it'll depend what you look for in a film, so if you're in the mood for Big Momma's House 17: Momma Just Won't Stay Dead, you'll probably not enjoy it. If you're into film at all, you pretty much have to watch it, and it's very likely you'll find it a rewarding experience.
Intrinsically worth more? No of course not. I use IMDB to get a general idea of what a movie is like but I find there is very little variation in the reviews when a movie has received critical acclaim. This isn't always indicative of a great movie imo.

I lurk here and other forums on boards a lot and I'm familiar with many (you included) of the posters. I would rather get their opinion than a reviewer on IMDB that I have no knowledge of.

Thanks for replying. I'll check it out over the weekend.

Last edited by CL7; 21-03-2012 at 16:20.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
21-03-2012, 16:43   #186
Fysh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Strange View Post
Intrinsically worth more? No of course not. I use IMDB to get a general idea of what a movie is like but I find there is very little variation in the reviews when a movie has received critical acclaim. This isn't always indicative of a great movie imo.

I lurk here and other forums on boards a lot and I'm familiar with many (you included) of the posters. I would rather get their opinion than a reviewer on IMDB that I have no knowledge of.

Thanks for replying. I'll check it out over the weekend.
Ah, fair enough. I wasn't sure if it was a statement of intrinsic trust in boards or just greater familiarity with the posters on here. I tend towards a similar outlook myself - I'd only really trust IMDB at a glance if something's more than a couple of years old and has been absolutely panned.

Hope you enjoy the film - it's not exactly lightweight viewing but it's worth it.
Thanks from:
21-03-2012, 21:24   #187
OldeCinemaSoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Professor View Post
This thread is for Netflix film recommendations and discussion ONLY! Any posts containing technical queries relating to DNS or VPN settings will be deleted. Please do not ask questions or start threads about regional workarounds.
So, getting value for your money is out of the equation?

Speaks volumes!
21-03-2012, 21:59   #188
krudler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldeCinemaSoz View Post
So, getting value for your money is out of the equation?

Speaks volumes!
dont blame boards, blame Sean Sherlock
21-03-2012, 22:01   #189
OldeCinemaSoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudler View Post
dont blame boards, blame Sean Sherlock

don't blame sean, blame bending the knee towards...

Advertisement
21-03-2012, 22:16   #190
krudler

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldeCinemaSoz View Post
don't blame sean, blame bending the knee towards...

you've no idea what I'm even talking about do you? go google it, I'll wait here
21-03-2012, 22:31   #191
OldeCinemaSoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudler View Post
you've no idea what I'm even talking about do you? go google it, I'll wait here
we all know the agenda...

whatever THEY say YOU'LL jump...

Household charges, no money for Crumlin, water rates, property tax...

go on, make A STAND.

21-03-2012, 22:49   #192
Sad Professor
Information Retrieval

Can we stay on topic please?

OldeCinemaSoz, if you'd like to contribute financially to Boards's legal war chest so that they can "make a stand", then contact the office. I'm sure they'd be delighted to take your money. Otherwise spare us your opinions on this matter.
22-03-2012, 16:57   #193
Skinfull

Send a message via MSN to Skinfull
Last night I watched Slumber Party Massacre... hilarious! And seemingly with a quick scout to IMDB I found out that the writer submitted this script as a parody of a teen slasher but the studio made it as a real horror. Makes for both intentionally and unintentionally hilarious bits! Really funny, well worth a trashy look!

Also Watched April Fools, ye old horror / comedy. Does what it says on the tin, funny and gore-ific, but kinda predictable though with a surprising amount of big... well recognisable names in it!
Thanks from:
22-03-2012, 18:48   #194
Sir Gallagher

Watched "Revenge of the Nerds" the other night, cheesy 80's college movie. It was enjoyable enough for the dated lameness of it all.
23-03-2012, 01:40   #195
larchielads

watched The Castle as someone recommended a couple of pages back. Absolutely brilliant! Who ever recommended it never said Eric Bana was in it ,not a major part, but lads you gotta watch it!!! Funny out!! Me and my mate where nearly cryin wit the laughin will def br recommendin it to my mates. DREAMIN
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion