Garda Reserve Duties & Powers - Page 12 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
06-12-2011, 14:42   #166
ZoneAlarm
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,033
No wont happen.
ZoneAlarm is offline  
Advertisement
14-01-2012, 19:28   #167
1rishguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by donvito99 View Post
Ive heard that Garda Reservists can only arrest under the Criminal Law Act 1997. Is that alot of arrestable offences?

And do Reservists carry batons/ASPs?
http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Garda%...%20Reserve.pdf
1rishguy is offline  
Thanks from:
14-01-2012, 19:40   #168
msg11
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rishguy View Post
Good booklet, that middle picture on page 3 is ..
msg11 is offline  
14-01-2012, 20:13   #169
kerry4sam
Moderator
 
kerry4sam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: somewhere under the stars
Posts: 12,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rishguy View Post
That post you quoted was from 2008 when the Garda Reserves was a fairly new concept.

Although, it still is a fairly new concept to some people, even in 2012 so cheers for posting that link
kerry4sam is offline  
21-06-2012, 14:24   #170
Sgt. Bilko 09
Registered User
 
Sgt. Bilko 09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: trapped in a glass case of emotion
Posts: 428
new powers article from the times

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...318356685.html
Sgt. Bilko 09 is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-06-2012, 19:53   #171
Raider190
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 808
New powers on the way

Well girls and boys , the new powers are on the way. No doubt that it will make us all more productive and able to assist our full time colleagues. Its good to hear that we are appreciated and that all our our hard work has not been in vain.



(Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael) Link to this
I have been informed by the Garda authorities that as of 31 May 2012, the latest date for which figures are readily available, the strength of the Garda Reserve was 918, with a further 225 in training. The moratorium on public service recruitment does not apply to members of the Garda Reserve as they are volunteers and recruitment to the reserve is ongoing.
The target strength of the Garda Reserve is 10% of the full-time force and I would like to assure the House that the Government is fully committed to its continued development. Members of the Garda Reserve make a hugely valuable contribution to policing. They are drawn from a variety of backgrounds and professions and currently include representatives of 27 different countries.
The Garda Reserve has a wide range of duties which include foot patrols, road traffic checkpoint duties, community-neighbourhood policing and station duty, other than the care and custody of prisoners. They assist in the policing of public events and also at the scenes of accidents, fires and major emergencies.
The Garda Commissioner has carried out a review of the role and functions of the Garda Reserve and arising from that, is introducing new measures to enhance the operation of the reserve. These include the extension of the functions of the Garda Reserve to the exercise of powers under the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Acts and section 41 of the Road Traffic Acts in relation to the seizure of vehicles.
Training on these and other matters, such as dealing with domestic violence, child protection and conflict resolution, is being organised for serving and recruit members of the Garda Reserve and will commence later this year. Garda Reserve members will also be issued with TETRA radios when going on duty.
I would like to place on record my appreciation of the members of the reserve who give of their time on a voluntary basis and for their ongoing commitment to the Garda Síochána.
Raider190 is offline  
Thanks from:
25-06-2012, 19:23   #172
bluetop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider190 View Post
Well girls and boys , the new powers are on the way. No doubt that it will make us all more productive and able to assist our full time colleagues. Its good to hear that we are appreciated and that all our our hard work has not been in vain.



(Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael) Link to this
I have been informed by the Garda authorities that as of 31 May 2012, the latest date for which figures are readily available, the strength of the Garda Reserve was 918, with a further 225 in training. The moratorium on public service recruitment does not apply to members of the Garda Reserve as they are volunteers and recruitment to the reserve is ongoing.
The target strength of the Garda Reserve is 10% of the full-time force and I would like to assure the House that the Government is fully committed to its continued development. Members of the Garda Reserve make a hugely valuable contribution to policing. They are drawn from a variety of backgrounds and professions and currently include representatives of 27 different countries.
The Garda Reserve has a wide range of duties which include foot patrols, road traffic checkpoint duties, community-neighbourhood policing and station duty, other than the care and custody of prisoners. They assist in the policing of public events and also at the scenes of accidents, fires and major emergencies.
The Garda Commissioner has carried out a review of the role and functions of the Garda Reserve and arising from that, is introducing new measures to enhance the operation of the reserve. These include the extension of the functions of the Garda Reserve to the exercise of powers under the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Acts and section 41 of the Road Traffic Acts in relation to the seizure of vehicles.
Training on these and other matters, such as dealing with domestic violence, child protection and conflict resolution, is being organised for serving and recruit members of the Garda Reserve and will commence later this year. Garda Reserve members will also be issued with TETRA radios when going on duty.
I would like to place on record my appreciation of the members of the reserve who give of their time on a voluntary basis and for their ongoing commitment to the Garda Síochána.
Now lets see how long it will be for the training to commence, they might have announced the new powers, sure it could take another year for the training even to start, you and me both know how slow the wheels in AGS turn, and they are at a snail pace, it only took them 6yrs to get the reserve rank up on their website

When the training begins that is when we all know its truly happening, until then its all talk, and pure PR we all know they love to talk in the Dail.
bluetop is offline  
25-06-2012, 20:58   #173
Sgt. Bilko 09
Registered User
 
Sgt. Bilko 09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: trapped in a glass case of emotion
Posts: 428
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetop View Post
Now lets see how long it will be for the training to commence, they might have announced the new powers, sure it could take another year for the training even to start, you and me both know how slow the wheels in AGS turn, and they are at a snail pace, it only took them 6yrs to get the reserve rank up on their website

When the training begins that is when we all know its truly happening, until then its all talk, and pure PR we all know they love to talk in the Dail.
Training has already begun for these new powers mate
Sgt. Bilko 09 is offline  
25-06-2012, 21:31   #174
blueforce
Registered User
 
blueforce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Bilko 09 View Post
Training has already begun for these new powers mate
What kind of training has begun? Trainers or Reserves?
blueforce is offline  
Advertisement
25-06-2012, 23:46   #175
bluetop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Bilko 09 View Post
Training has already begun for these new powers mate
Since when have they commenced, is it in the collage or local training, how come nobody has been notified about it. ?
bluetop is offline  
26-06-2012, 10:50   #176
Yogi Bear
Registered User
 
Yogi Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetop View Post
Since when have they commenced, is it in the collage or local training, how come nobody has been notified about it. ?
I think anyone on Phase 2 in Templemore for the two weeks are getting trained in the new powers at present.

I wonder will the training be in local Division CPD schools or will we all have to go to templemore for a few days.
Yogi Bear is offline  
22-08-2012, 16:30   #177
Yogi Bear
Registered User
 
Yogi Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 105
It's two months since it was announced that we are getting new powers . Anyone had any word on what happening with training or any info at all.............
Yogi Bear is offline  
22-08-2012, 21:41   #178
bluetop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Bilko 09 View Post
Training has already begun for these new powers mate
Looks like the training never got off the ground for this one !!
bluetop is offline  
22-08-2012, 21:47   #179
bluetop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider190 View Post
Well girls and boys , the new powers are on the way. No doubt that it will make us all more productive and able to assist our full time colleagues. Its good to hear that we are appreciated and that all our our hard work has not been in vain.



(Minister, Department of Justice, Equality and Defence; Dublin South, Fine Gael) Link to this
I have been informed by the Garda authorities that as of 31 May 2012, the latest date for which figures are readily available, the strength of the Garda Reserve was 918, with a further 225 in training. The moratorium on public service recruitment does not apply to members of the Garda Reserve as they are volunteers and recruitment to the reserve is ongoing.
The target strength of the Garda Reserve is 10% of the full-time force and I would like to assure the House that the Government is fully committed to its continued development. Members of the Garda Reserve make a hugely valuable contribution to policing. They are drawn from a variety of backgrounds and professions and currently include representatives of 27 different countries.
The Garda Reserve has a wide range of duties which include foot patrols, road traffic checkpoint duties, community-neighbourhood policing and station duty, other than the care and custody of prisoners. They assist in the policing of public events and also at the scenes of accidents, fires and major emergencies.
The Garda Commissioner has carried out a review of the role and functions of the Garda Reserve and arising from that, is introducing new measures to enhance the operation of the reserve. These include the extension of the functions of the Garda Reserve to the exercise of powers under the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Acts and section 41 of the Road Traffic Acts in relation to the seizure of vehicles.
Training on these and other matters, such as dealing with domestic violence, child protection and conflict resolution, is being organised for serving and recruit members of the Garda Reserve and will commence later this year. Garda Reserve members will also be issued with TETRA radios when going on duty.
I would like to place on record my appreciation of the members of the reserve who give of their time on a voluntary basis and for their ongoing commitment to the Garda Síochána.
Looks like i was right in what i said the wheels turn slowly, they have not turned at all in the last 2 months, looks like this was a PR stunt to either keep the punters happy or the Reserves, my guess it was the reserves as there are a lot quitting due to lack of utilisation and lack of training.
bluetop is offline  
22-08-2012, 21:49   #180
WilcoOut
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluetop View Post

there are a lot quitting due to lack of utilisation and lack of training.
amen to that
WilcoOut is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet